• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

News Story about Haslems decision

bgbigdog said:
kemajic said:
Jaymerz said:
If Stitt gets a new DC in place with some football smarts, and better situational awareness, this team will be great.
How does that help our ability to score only two TD's against MSU teams with losing records, two years in a row? That is supposed to win? Our problems are far deeper than DC.

Stop, before you get to the point where you have to discuss talent. Because we have it to burn.
That is unproven.

kemajic said:
bgbigdog said:
kemajic said:
Jaymerz said:
If Stitt gets a new DC in place with some football smarts, and better situational awareness, this team will be great.
How does that help our ability to score only two TD's against MSU teams with losing records, two years in a row? That is supposed to win? Our problems are far deeper than DC.

Stop, before you get to the point where you have to discuss talent. Because we have it to burn.
That is unproven.

Poor effort on my part @ sarcasm. I don’t believe it’s quite as good as some here might have you believe.

this is a comment i cannot tolerate anymore (paraphrasing) from stitt..... we are playing for each other, rely on each other to do their job and know that something good is coming, this team does not get down on each other or implode because of the way we prepare each and every day for adversity during the game......maybe, just maybe he should teach toughness, grit and how to be physical...like its a football game ,,,geeez !

Toughness is indeed lacking in this team. But the big problem, ( at least one of them), is that this team is just barely passable at the finesse game!

Gaeilge1 said:
Toughness is indeed lacking in this team. But the big problem, ( at least one of them), is that this team is just barely passable at the finesse game!

Agreed. We seem softer and more disjointed as a team than at any point in my 21 seasons as a season ticket holder. I had high hopes for this staff but if you don’t see the noticeable difference in team toughness and quirky ass coaching, you’re not watching or are too young to remember what it’s like to watch Montana football. I Love my Griz but the last couple years I’ve had a sinking feeling about the direction we are headed.

Stitt said last year that they re-evaluated the whole program and process to include staff to insure that they grew and the same thing didn't happen in the future. It would seem to me that he and Haslam probably sat down and discussed last years performance. I can imagine that they discussed where the program needed to show improvement. I will "assume" that there were goals set that probably included, or I hope included" winning the Big Sky, make the playoffs and beat the Cats. That is a big assumption because Stitt is building a program that will sustain over time (his words or close to them) so maybe those weren't goals that were discussed.

It seems to me that Stitt probably set some of his own goals for the program and staff and now the question must be asked....did he accomplish them. Take the emotion out of it and look at it as you would if you were the owner of a company talking to his manager.

Are we moving in the right direction?
Did we see improvement in each of the staff's performance?
Did we see improvement in the teams performance?
Did the athletes represent the university in a positive manner?
Are we seeing a trend upwards?
Are our customers happy? (university, fans and donors being the customers)
How many of our goals were met?

Those are just some that come to mind rapidly.

I think Stitt is a great guy personally. I have talked with him twice at the Griz GSA functions in Great Falls. He is very personable and I wish him nothing but success. I hate that anyone would lose their job a week before Thanksgiving. However, coaching is a tough profession and not for the weak of heart. Coaches know what they are getting into when they get into the profession.

Haslam has some decisions to be made this week. He also knows what he signed up for when he took the position. Retaining or terminating people that become friends is not easy. I hope that he would simply do a good review and evaluation. Possibly seek counsel from people he trusts.

And then, announce and defend your decision. There will be push back from either decision. I'm glad it's his problem and not mine even though I know which way I would go.

So just wonder who runs a blitz with 3rd down 33?? Oh right Stitt. Stitt is the head coach...one more year may be the end of Grizzly football.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

grizfan47 said:
Stitt said last year that they re-evaluated the whole program and process to include staff to insure that they grew and the same thing didn't happen in the future. It would seem to me that he and Haslam probably sat down and discussed last years performance. I can imagine that they discussed where the program needed to show improvement. I will "assume" that there were goals set that probably included, or I hope included" winning the Big Sky, make the playoffs and beat the Cats. That is a big assumption because Stitt is building a program that will sustain over time (his words or close to them) so maybe those weren't goals that were discussed.

It seems to me that Stitt probably set some of his own goals for the program and staff and now the question must be asked....did he accomplish them. Take the emotion out of it and look at it as you would if you were the owner of a company talking to his manager.

I think Stitt is a great guy personally. I have talked with him twice at the Griz GSA functions in Great Falls. He is very personable and I wish him nothing but success. I hate that anyone would lose their job a week before Thanksgiving. However, coaching is a tough profession and not for the weak of heart. Coaches know what they are getting into when they get into the profession.

Haslam has some decisions to be made this week. He also knows what he signed up for when he took the position. Retaining or terminating people that become friends is not easy. I hope that he would simply do a good review and evaluation. Possibly seek counsel from people he trusts.

And then, announce and defend your decision. There will be push back from either decision. I'm glad it's his problem and not mine even though I know which way I would go.

Well said....and if the defense and special teams coaches accomplished what his goals were for tjem then the you are looking at a long stretch of mediocrity and Cat Losses. If he doesn't make changes, he is not sincere on his thinking he can bring the program back to being dominant.

Agree also with Haslam making announcements quickly and take the heat either way. And if Stitt stays and decides he needs to make any moves he wants it should be soon so 2018 Griz can get started and any coach(s) let go can look for work, and replacements can be found before they sign on with other places.

Every day this drags on is counter productive, time they put on man pants and do what they are paid for....

Post by Jaymerz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:47 am

I am really confused as to how this would happen. In the first place what evidence is there that Stitt would even recognize what qualities are needed in a DC? And even if he gets the rumored two years with a favorable buy out clause for UM, what quality DC is going to want to come here?

Another question for those more knowledgeable than I. In a buy out situation can a big hitter donor pay the buy out or is that covered by the Montana Taxpayer?

I understand finding a quality new coach will be hard work but it isn't going to get any easier next year and it isn't like we really have the pick of the litter right now. Actually in looking at that last sentence we just might have the "pick of the Kitty Litter". And pretty soon, my guess starting this year, some of those verbalized recruits are going to change their minds. Playoffs are important to players and their parents.

kemajic said:
bgbigdog said:
kemajic said:
Jaymerz said:

That is unproven.
How So? What is the measuring stick?

PlayerRep said:
If I had been Haslam, after the game, I would have worked all night trying to lobby the playoff selection committee to let the Griz into the playoffs. That would soften the blow, if the Griz sneaked in.

Truth, afterall, New Hampshire - who are ranked behind the Griz got in, because their AD sits on the committee, and you can bet that is the ONLY reason they made it.

ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:
If I had been Haslam, after the game, I would have worked all night trying to lobby the playoff selection committee to let the Griz into the playoffs. That would soften the blow, if the Griz sneaked in.

Truth, afterall, New Hampshire - who are ranked behind the Griz got in, because their AD sits on the committee, and you can bet that is the ONLY reason they made it.
They beat an FBS team and have the same record in a tougher conference. (Not sure if you were being sarcastic...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlayerRep said:
Paytonlives said:
kemajic said:
Paytonlives said:
They have 3 straight losing seasons...
They have been the best football team in the state the last two years.

Big picture vs. little picture.

Do you or anyone think that the Cats led by Choate are not on the way up. Wait till they get their players. The word I get from Bozeman is that MSU is still lacking players and working on getting the needed horses. Speaking of that, did the Griz recruit that big frosh runner from Dillon? That kid is good. Also, who was the best qb on the field yesterday?
I think Jensen is the better true QB but Murray is the better runner and showed more experience. Jensen will get there.

I have four opinions about Stitt, two positive, two negative. And a conclusion.
The positive:
--I like his offense. (Though not happy with the end of our opening drive. Three straight runs into the middle of the line, then a field goal. We had a chance to drive it down their throats and set a tone for this game but we gave them a moral victory. Why not go for it on fourth down? Don't we have a play for that situation--fourth and short at the goal line? Jeez! Now back to my main theme...) Plus he's had bad luck with injuries to starting quarterbacks. You have to give him a break there.
--I like his recruiting. If you're going to bring in a coach like Stitt, you've got to give him the time to get the players to suit his offense. Stitt is doing that. The potential among our receivers is extremely high, and Jensen will only get better, with a three-star in the wings. Plus Stitt did well on the Montana front.
The negative:
--The defense! Third and long, and they score a touchdown. First and 35 and they get a first down. These are deadly sins. All season, watching our defense has been lacerating. The DC should have been fired yesterday. He's in over his head. Stitt or the A.D. must do this. Immediately.
--The attitude. I like cerebral coaches, a la Bill Walsh, not semi-hysterical crybabies like Bobby Knight. But, jeez. If you meet a football player at some event, you say, what a nice young man! But if you could meet that same player on the field, you would not recognize the seething monster inside that helmet. Football is an emotional game, not a seminar, yet Stitt seems like a bemused bystander sometimes, a rational physics professor, rather than a guy to inspire passion. Yesterday was a huge game for this program, and our kids and our coaches simply did not seem to be into it, or up to it emotionally.
My verdict?
Keep Stitt one more year. Fire the D.C. immediately. If Stitt won't do that, then he must go. He may be the offensive mastermind, but he's responsible for the overall program--a program not acceptable at this time to this fan base.

grizfan47 said:

Thanks for taking the time on this post. :clap:

sdk.catfish said:
Post by Jaymerz » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:47 am

I understand finding a quality new coach will be hard work but it isn't going to get any easier next year and it isn't like we really have the pick of the litter right now. Actually in looking at that last sentence we just might have the "pick of the Kitty Litter". And pretty soon, my guess starting this year, some of those verbalized recruits are going to change their minds.

I think we could have the pick of the litter. We have a beautiful new Champions Center. We still have a large fan base. We have some quality recruits that a new coach would be wise to get a hold of right away and try and keep their commitment.

There is lots of room for growth and success with this team, under a coach that has proven he knows how to win. Wait too long and I believe the fan base will start to give up on the team. Recruits may too. He who hesitates is lost.

Why on god’s green earth did you guys turn down Bobby Hauck?

The collective FCS community would have said “oh Fuck” had you hired him back.

2011BisonAlumni said:

The collective FCS community would have said “oh f***” had you hired him back.

Because he's failed miserably everywhere else and we are not in nearly the same situation we were in when he came here first time around (he followed two pretty damn successful coaches). That and his players were not exactly the most reputable which is a serious problem when the school is dealing with a massive rape scandal.

Stop_HammerTime69 said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

The collective FCS community would have said “oh f***” had you hired him back.

Because he's failed miserably everywhere else and we are not in nearly the same situation we were in when he came here first time around (he followed two pretty damn successful coaches). That and his players were not exactly the most reputable which is a serious problem when the school is dealing with a massive rape scandal.

He didn't fail miserably everywhere else he went. Only UNLV, where no one has been able to do well. Has done very well everywhere he has been.

Why do you "fail miserably" in almost everything you post.

Back