• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kittens 2017 Season

Spanky said:
Oh, you mean independent of the budget? Please explain.

Please read this for a start. It's not rocket science bud. Football is the ONLY sport that made money at UM, covering for the rest. Unless you're the absolute worst business person in the universe you would never cut your only moneymaker

https://www.google.com/amp/missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/um-athletics-makes-record-million-in-revenue/article_e7e9fa52-eda6-5d09-a927-4a7db943b9ff.amp.html

Well, maybe I'm ignorant then Brint. You are too young to remember President Newburn back in the dark ages. Bean counters can do desperate things when they are told to look for areas to cut back.

Brint..by the way, aren't you one of the posters that thinks it's just fine to hire Engstrom as a professor? The same gentleman responsible for putting UM in the toilet....and, I'm ignorant?

Spanky said:
Hook....then that would be exactly the place one might cut, bud.

Help me understand that. If the football team profits $2.1 million and carries all the other sports who operate in the red help me understand why that would ever get touched. I'm willing to listen

Spanky said:
The UM budget problems could make any discussion of another year for Stitt moot.
Do you think hiring a new HC and an OC in the place of Stitt would save money? It would cost money, but if 2017 is anything like late 2016, many donors would pony up the money to do it.

Simple, Hook. If I'm directed to look for areas of immediate cuts within the athletic department, I would look at the profit center of football because it would be assumed there wouldn't be an immediate negative impact on revenue.
Of course, I would also be looking for cuts in the other offered sports and the management staff.

Kem....some might support such a move as in theory, it would drive revenue by returning to a winning program.

I think the cat fans are a little overly confident in this coming season. A lot of them think they're gonna go 9-2 or 8-3 and have a deep playoff run. There's even a lot of them that think they're gonna beat SDSU and keep it competitive with WSU. Kudos to them for having confidence in their team but realistically they're not gonna make the playoffs and they'll be lucky to even finish 5-6. And theyre crazy if they think there gonna beat SDSU. http://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=39701&start=60

Griz til I die said:
I think the cat fans are a little overly confident in this coming season. A lot of them think they're gonna go 9-2 or 8-3 and have a deep playoff run. There's even a lot of them that think they're gonna beat SDSU and keep it competitive with WSU. Kudos to them for having confidence in their team but realistically they're not gonna make the playoffs and they'll be lucky to even finish 5-6. And theyre crazy if they think there gonna beat SDSU. http://bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=39701&start=60

As opposed to those posting here who believe we'll see vastly improved O-Line, QB, and special teams play? You mean that sort of over confidence?

Griz til I die said:

Coming from the guy that says next year's Griz team is going to win the conference. I agree, its okay to be excited about your teams chances. But saying the Griz are going to win the conference next year is just as far fetched as Cat fans thinking they have a shot at 9-2 next year.

VimSince03 said:
Griz til I die said:

Coming from the guy that says next year's Griz team is going to win the conference. I agree, its okay to be excited about your teams chances. But saying the Griz are going to win the conference next year is just as far fetched as Cat fans thinking they have a shot at 9-2 next year.
Excuse my subjectivity, but I think UM is a lot closer to winning the conference next year than MSU is to going 9-2.

Both teams have problems, sure, but ours seem a lot more fixable than MSU's to me. Plus we have the most favorable schedule we'll have in a long time.

Re: cutting football because of budget problems:

1*jSEwfhnGp2DuGn_eEOtsew.jpeg

Spanky said:
Simple, Hook. If I'm directed to look for areas of immediate cuts within the athletic department, I would look at the profit center of football because it would be assumed there wouldn't be an immediate negative impact on revenue.
Of course, I would also be looking for cuts in the other offered sports and the management staff.

The numbers don't jive for that though. If football profits 2.1 million, which in turn creates an overall athletic budget profit of say 300k, then that means all other sports operating in the red are losing 1.8 million. So if you cut up football now you're looking at a 4 million dollar total loss as opposed to a profit. It's simple math.

VimSince03 said:
Griz til I die said:

Ok, maybe I am a little overly confident, but at the same time the griz have a way more favorable schedule than the cats. We get all the tough big sky teams at home, you guys have to play UND, EWU, and NAU all on the road, we get all three of those teams at home and UND and NAU really struggle at Wa griz which is why think we have a slight chance at winning the conference.

Spanky said:
Apparently Arizona isn't aware of the declining enrollment/revenue at UM?
Maybe he thinks football isn't within the athletic department?

Tell you what, Einstein: I'll bet you $1 million that we're still playing football at Wa/Griz 5 years from now. If Bob Stitt ain't our coach then it won't be because they can't afford to pay his salary.

Spanky said:

That literally makes ZERO sense.

Spanky said:
Well, maybe I'm ignorant then Brint. You are too young to remember President Newburn back in the dark ages. Bean counters can do desperate things when they are told to look for areas to cut back.

Unless Newburn suddenly comes back to run the show I'm not worried. Football pays everyone elses debt, it's the cash cow. They wont mess with the single program that pays all the bills.

AZGrizFan said:
Spanky said:

That literally makes ZERO sense.

If you ignore all facts and sense of reason though... it does.

"Hey we should make cuts to the one program that pays everyone else's bills"

Latest posts

Back