• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kent Baer will be hired as Griz defensive coordinator

jcu27 said:
RobGriz said:
jcu27 said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:
Just get behind it and trust?

Where was that attitude the last couple of years?!

Remember all of the obnoxious naysayers? Those who had no patience for the rebuilding process? Who believed they knew more than some D2 coach? The ones who actively worked against Stitt? The guys with an agenda who worked to make Stitt’s already difficult job even more difficult? People like Colter? The guy who used Skyline Sports and his exposure on radio to stir up the pro-Hauck/anti-Stitt cult on a daily basis?

Remember them? Because I do...

I’m not going to be petty or make personal attacks on Hauck like I’ve seen and heard the last year, but I sure as heck am not going to give him anymore slack or patience than the so called “best fans in the FCS” gave to Stitt.

From what I know, and I’m absolutely not an insider, Hauck is good man from a good family. He’s a very talented coach, but I don’t think he earned the right to lead this team.

He was basically installed by the politically connected guys sitting in the boxes and writing checks to Haslam. The entire interview process was nothing more than a charade, starting with the press conference where Haslam announced Stitt was not being brought back. Completely disingenuous and phony.

The last couple months have disappointed and disgusted me as an alumni and diehard Griz fan. And so going forward, I’m going to extend to Hauck the same amount of patience and professional understanding that was shown to Coach Stitt and his staff.

No excuses. No time to rebuild or mold the team and staff. The Griz must beat the Cats, win the conference, and make the playoffs every year or he needs to go. No time to rebuild. No injuries can be taken into consideration. This is Griz Nation. Win now or else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The tin foil must of been on sale.
Right next to the kool-aid, apparently

shit's delicious

Amiright???

kemajic said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:
CFallsGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Experienced and solid placeholder until Tim H. returns. Looks like a nice pick to me.

GG, what were your views on Stitt and Semore?

I wonder if any FCS school has ever assembled a coaching staff with more high level FBS experience.

+1
If Bobby feels like he's the best option, I trust that that's the case, and so should anyone who claims to be a supporter. You don't know more than BH does about what's available, and who will be the best fit overall. If it doesn't work out, adjustments will be made early and often. Always amazes me how people think they know better than the pro that's making the call. He has his reasons.

Just get behind it and trust...

Remember all of the obnoxious naysayers? Those who had no patience for the rebuilding process?
Never mind that it showed no signs of rebuilding at all and was in fact regressing after three years. The only mistake I have seen Haslam make was hiring him and it was a big one. Big job for BH to bail us out of this mess.

Well if you're referring to me guy, I was not vocally anti-Stitt. So if you're going to criticize, then be specific.

I stand by my comment.

Had BH hired Wade Phillips as DC, posters here would be complaining that he had .562 career winning record as an HC, never won a post season game, coached on 8 different teams, and is too old to relate to 20 year olds yet he steps in and turns the Rams into statistically one of the best defenses in the NFL, helping them win the NFC West for the first time since 2003. Often success is predicated on situation. Will this be that for Baer? Regardless of what anyone posts here, we'll have a chance to find out. And for the sake of the Griz, let's hope so.

MiningCityGrizFan said:
CFallsGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
gotgame75 said:
Will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, but this pick on paper is lackluster at best. I like the D1 experience, but that's basically his only upside that I can see. Very underwhelming.

Was this the kind of choice at coordinator that Griz fans envisioned when we hired Hauck? I think not.

'

Experienced and solid placeholder until Tim H. returns. Looks like a nice pick to me.

I wonder if any FCS school has ever assembled a coaching staff with more high level FBS experience.

+1
If Bobby feels like he's the best option, I trust that that's the case, and so should anyone who claims to be a supporter. You don't know more than BH does about what's available, and who will be the best fit overall. If it doesn't work out, adjustments will be made early and often. Always amazes me how people think they know better than the pro that's making the call. He has his reasons.

Remember all of the obnoxious naysayers? Those who had no patience for the rebuilding process? Who believed they knew more than some D2 coach? The ones who actively worked against Stitt? The guys with an agenda who worked to make Stitt’s already difficult job even more difficult? People like Colter? The guy who used Skyline Sports and his exposure on radio to stir up the pro-Hauck/anti-Stitt cult on a daily basis?

Remember them? Because I do...

I’m not going to be petty or make personal attacks on Hauck like I’ve seen and heard the last year, but I sure as heck am not going to give him anymore slack or patience than the so called “best fans in the FCS” gave to Stitt.

From what I know, and I’m absolutely not an insider, Hauck is good man from a good family. He’s a very talented coach, but I don’t think he earned the right to lead this team.

He was basically installed by the politically connected guys sitting in the boxes and writing checks to Haslam. The entire interview process was nothing more than a charade, starting with the press conference where Haslam announced Stitt was not being brought back. Completely disingenuous and phony.

The last couple months have disappointed and disgusted me as an alumni and diehard Griz fan. And so going forward, I’m going to extend to Hauck the same amount of patience and professional understanding that was shown to Coach Stitt and his staff.

No excuses. No time to rebuild or mold the team and staff. The Griz must beat the Cats, win the conference, and make the playoffs every year or he needs to go. No time to rebuild. No injuries can be taken into consideration. This is Griz Nation. Win now or else.

Honestly your little rant seems whiny and more than a little disingenuous.

"I'm gonna do this cuz you guys did that! Waaaah!"

That's honestly how you're coming across. FYI

Grisly Fan said:
Had BH hired Wade Phillips as DC, posters here would be complaining that he had .562 career winning record as an HC, never won a post season game, coached on 8 different teams, and is too old to relate to 20 year olds yet he steps in and turns the Rams into statistically one of the best defenses in the NFL, helping them win the NFC West for the first time since 2003. Often success is predicated on situation. Will this be that for Baer? Regardless of what anyone posts here, we'll have a chance to find out. And for the sake of the Griz, let's hope so.

Not this fan. Wade is an incredible DC. Just not a good head coach

kemajic said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:
CFallsGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

+1

Remember all of the obnoxious naysayers? Those who had no patience for the rebuilding process?
Never mind that it showed no signs of rebuilding at all and was in fact regressing after three years. The only mistake I have seen Haslam make was hiring him and it was a big one. Big job for BH to bail us out of this mess.

+ 1

AZDoc said:
PlayerRep said:
gotgame75 said:
Will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, but this pick on paper is lackluster at best. I like the D1 experience, but that's basically his only upside that I can see. Very underwhelming.

Was this the kind of choice at coordinator that Griz fans envisioned when we hired Hauck? I think not.

'

I was thinking this is the only logical explanation. Experience is 1 thing, results another.

Tim was a great player/is a good to very good position coach. His experience as a Defensive Coordinator is limited to the two years at UNLV before Kent Baer. First year they went to the bowl game but the defense gave up over 31 points per game. The second year they only won two games and gave up over 34 points per game. In two years as a defensive coordinator his teams gave up about 33 points per game and had a losing record. Just throwing this in for comparison purposes.

Grisly Fan said:
I’m not sure that’s the same case here. We’re not just looking for anything to be negative about (although it is really funny that the people who we said were looking for anything negative about Stitt are now blindly defending everything about Hauck, but whatever).

Maybe I’m the only one, as the hyperbole still seems pretty strong on both sides, but when I say I’m concerned about Baer, I’m not saying “holy shit, we’re going to be the worst defense ever in the BSC”, I’m literally just saying that while I support the head coach, this hire has me more worried than I was before he got hired.

I do, though, have to take AZ’s side here a little bit. The 180 by a lot of the people that hated on Stitt that’s turned into pretty blind optimism for Hauck is curious.

uofmman1122 said:
Grisly Fan said:
I’m not sure that’s the same case here. We’re not just looking for anything to be negative about (although it is really funny that the people who we said were looking for anything negative about Stitt are now blindly defending everything about Hauck, but whatever).

Maybe I’m the only one, as the hyperbole still seems pretty strong on both sides, but when I say I’m concerned about Baer, I’m not saying “holy shit, we’re going to be the worst defense ever in the BSC”, I’m literally just saying that while I support the head coach, this hire has me more worried than I was before he got hired.

I do, though, have to take AZ’s side here a little bit. The 180 by a lot of the people that hated on Stitt that’s turned into pretty blind optimism for Hauck is curious.

You don't think there was a lot of blind optimism when Stitt was hired and early on? Some, like AZ, were blind to the bitter end.

Hauck has tons of coaching experience at UM and in FBS, and had a great record here, so the optimism is hardly "blind". It is well-founded, in my view.

Hauck selects a DC who has been the DC at 5 Pac-12 teams and at Notre Dame, and some of you think he has forgotten how to coach because he has also been moved on by a few head coaches/schools. One of those moving him on had hired him at Notre Dame, Stanford and UW. Another is a former high school coach struggling to keep his own job.

PlayerRep said:
uofmman1122 said:
Grisly Fan said:

You don't think there was a lot of blind optimism when Stitt was hired and early on? Some, like AZ, were blind to the bitter end.

Hauck has tons of coaching experience at UM and in FBS, and had a great record here, so the optimism is hardly "blind". It is well-founded, in my view.

Hauck selects a DC who has been the DC at 5 Pac-12 teams and at Notre Dame, and some of you think he has forgotten how to coach because he has also been moved on by a few head coaches/schools. One of those moving him on had hired him at Notre Dame, Stanford and UW. Another is a former high school coach struggling to keep his own job.
Yeah, for sure there was. I was pretty blindly optimistic of Stitt until the very end, so I’m not innocent in that.

But all we got from a lot of people for the last three years was “how can you guys be so blindly optimistic about this?! Have some objectivity!”, and now these same people have done a complete 180 and are all in on the blind optimism. It seems extremely hypocritical to me.

Full disclosure: I trust Hauck, think he’s a much better coach than Stitt, and am willing to give him and his assistants my full support. Like I said, though, I’m a little surprised at the Baer hiring given his recent results.

PlayerRep said:
uofmman1122 said:
Grisly Fan said:

In this case, I would not use past tense.

uofmman1122 said:
PlayerRep said:
uofmman1122 said:
Grisly Fan said:

Yeah, for sure there was. I was pretty blindly optimistic of Stitt until the very end, so I’m not innocent in that.

But all we got from a lot of people for the last three years was “how can you guys be so blindly optimistic about this?! Have some objectivity!”, and now these same people have done a complete 180 and are all in on the blind optimism. It seems extremely hypocritical to me.

Full disclosure: I trust Hauck, think he’s a much better coach than Stitt, and am willing to give him and his assistants my full support. Like I said, though, I’m a little surprised at the Baer hiring given his recent results.

What do you believe that is being said about Hauck is "blind" and not based on "objectivity"? Serious question. I'm curious as to what you think.

CFallsGriz said:
kemajic said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:
CFallsGriz said:
+1

Well if you're referring to me guy, I was not vocally anti-Stitt. So if you're going to criticize, then be specific.

I stand by my comment.
Huh? My response was to the idiot MiningCityGrizFan. Had nothing to do with you. Read a little more carefully.

I like good defense, but what I like more is good results and wins. By hook or crook, smoke and mirrors, physicality, brute force and desire, good coaching, whatever, find a way to win lots of games.

Results Driven he is not.....have experience, most certainly, but his coaching career, like Brent Pease has been in a downward trend. Why is that? Circumstances? Performance? Bad Luck? Maybe a little of all, but results will be the main factor. I posted this in the private area a few days ago. Some fans' opinions on KB's call ability.

People in this thread who long criticized Jason Semore, will see some similar RESULTs. We can all criiticize someone's opinons on the UNLV message board, because it happens on this one....

But you're right, Baer has disappointed as well. Our 3rd down defense has been atrocious. 3rd and 20 and you give up 18 to put them in FG range? 3rd and 10 and you give them 8.5 to make it an easy 4th down attempt? [I know we had a few sacks this game, but in general, we had ZERO pressure on the QB. And why is it that when we bring blitzers, it takes 5 seconds for them to get to the QB? Even when they're unblocked, it seems like the QB has plenty of time to make a read and throw to an open guy.

So it's not 3rd and 31, but that's probably because of his "experience"

Watch our LBs when they blitz...they don't pick holes to run through to get to the QB. Instead they continuously run into the back of our DL. How many times have I watch the lineman stunt making a hole cuz 2 o-lineman go with him only to see the LB run up into his back! WTF? Go through the hole left there by your lineman dummy!! Watching us blitz is like watching the Keystone Cops...

If this was a song, and you closed your eyes to listen, you'd think it sounds a lot like Jason Semore. But it shouldn't because this guy has experience. IMO this was probably the best that Hauck could find for now, so maybe just a year until he gets the right guy, whether that be Tim Hauck or someone else.

https://unlv.forums.rivals.com/threads/please-fire.23405/#post-315672

PlayerRep said:
uofmman1122 said:
PlayerRep said:
uofmman1122 said:

What do you believe that is being said about Hauck is "blind" and not based on "objectivity"? Serious question. I'm curious as to what you think.
I think in terms of Hauck, himself, it's not so much blind or not based on objectivity. The guy is one of, if not the best coach we've had here, so that should lend a sort of benefit of the doubt to decisions he's making, and I for one am willing to give him that.

But I unfortunately have to agree with AZ in terms of Baer, specifically, in that I can't see any reason to not at least somewhat question the hiring decision strictly other than "because Hauck hired him", and I tend to agree that any other coach making this decision would be met with intense scrutiny on this board. Like he said, if Stitt had been renewed, and replaced Semore with this guy, I think eGriz would be on fire.

I am willing to admit I was wrong about Stitt, but it does irk me a little bit to see the objective skepticism from certain posters who railed against him and told us our excuses were baseless suddenly throwing out all skepticism now that they have their guy.

Being the eternal optimist that I am, I'm slowly warming up to the idea of Baer's experience and expertise, but initially I was not impressed with Baer, specifically, and will probably remain cautiously optimistic until Spring or Fall camp show me otherwise.

uofmman1122 said:
PlayerRep said:
uofmman1122 said:
PlayerRep said:

I think in terms of Hauck, himself, it's not so much blind or not based on objectivity. The guy is one of, if not the best coach we've had here, so that should lend a sort of benefit of the doubt to decisions he's making, and I for one am willing to give him that.

But I unfortunately have to agree with AZ in terms of Baer, specifically, in that I can't see any reason to not at least somewhat question the hiring decision strictly other than "because Hauck hired him", and I tend to agree that any other coach making this decision would be met with intense scrutiny on this board. Like he said, if Stitt had been renewed, and replaced Semore with this guy, I think eGriz would be on fire.

I am willing to admit I was wrong about Stitt, but it does irk me a little bit to see the objective skepticism from certain posters who railed against him and told us our excuses were baseless suddenly throwing out all skepticism now that they have their guy.

Being the eternal optimist that I am, I'm slowly warming up to the idea of Baer's experience and expertise, but initially I was not impressed with Baer, specifically, and will probably remain cautiously optimistic until Spring or Fall camp show me otherwise.

Okay. I am good with all that. Guess we'll see on Baer. Thx.

kemajic said:
CFallsGriz said:
kemajic said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:

I stand by my comment.
Huh? My response was to the idiot MiningCityGrizFan. Had nothing to do with you. Read a little more carefully.

Maybe it's you you who should trade in your readers for a new set, pops. I was addressing the guy who was addressing me.

CFallsGriz said:
kemajic said:
CFallsGriz said:
kemajic said:

I stand by my comment.

Back