• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kent Baer will be hired as Griz defensive coordinator

mtgrizrule said:
Not really to sure what to think of this hire. I hope this is short term. Anyone else for grooming Schillinger for DC ? How many years would it take for him to be ready for it? I am thinking a GRIZ with NFL experience would certainly be a great fit. Also, he is from a football coaching family.

In the meantime, got to have faith in Hauck on this one. Even those one is a little of a head scratcher.

If I was guessing he's probably the 3rd or 4th choice by Hauck. I would guess all the movement of assistants this off season has prevented Hauck from getting some of his preferred choices.

ordigger said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
77matcat said:
To think he will run his own defense without significant input from hauck is to say you think TG runs his own defense without significant input from Choate.

The product will be a reflection on both. I’m betting it will be just fine.

Actually, I think it's a great hire! Glad we could get him.

I ain't going to start worrying until he plays six corners, four Safeties and one Linebacker. Then I'll start worrying. :shock:

Read the message boards at places he's been. His failures rival Jason Semore's. Only he's done it more - because he's experienced. Oh joy.
Yeah, reading fans opinions on message boards is the way to evaluate coaches. If you read this board or Washingtons you would think Jonathan Smith is the worst offensive coach in the world. Now he's a PAC 12 head coach because fans opinions don't matter

WaGriz4life said:
ordigger said:
WyomingGrizFan said:
77matcat said:
To think he will run his own defense without significant input from hauck is to say you think TG runs his own defense without significant input from Choate.

The product will be a reflection on both. I’m betting it will be just fine.

Actually, I think it's a great hire! Glad we could get him.

I ain't going to start worrying until he plays six corners, four Safeties and one Linebacker. Then I'll start worrying. :shock:

Read the message boards at places he's been. His failures rival Jason Semore's. Only he's done it more - because he's experienced. Oh joy.
Yeah, reading fans opinions on message boards is the way to evaluate coaches. If you read this board or Washingtons you would think Jonathan Smith is the worst offensive coach in the world. Now he's a PAC 12 head coach because fans opinions don't matter
I totally understand the optimism, and I trust coach Hauck to know what he's doing.

But I don't think we need to know what type of defensive plays are called in real time or take the word of past fans on message boards to see that, results-wise, Baer has been quite less than stellar over the last eight years as a DC. And this is at multiple schools with multiple coaches and a ton of different players.

I'm not completely saying we should give up on the guy before he coaches a single practice, let alone a single game, but I think anyone looking at his record over the last eight years shouldn't have their (what seem like legitimately warranted) concerns hand waved away here.

We all want the Griz to go back to dominating on both sides of the ball, and some of us are just a little concerned about this guy's resume to date, and I think results-wise it's objectively at least a little concerning.

Really hoping it works out, though.

ordigger said:
mtgrizrule said:
Not really to sure what to think of this hire. I hope this is short term. Anyone else for grooming Schillinger for DC ? How many years would it take for him to be ready for it? I am thinking a GRIZ with NFL experience would certainly be a great fit. Also, he is from a football coaching family.

In the meantime, got to have faith in Hauck on this one. Even those one is a little of a head scratcher.

If I was guessing he's probably the 3rd or 4th choice by Hauck. I would guess all the movement of assistants this off season has prevented Hauck from getting some of his preferred choices.
Oh, no...he was Haucks first choice. Haven’t you heard?? WaDipShit4life will tell you all about it. Once again proving his less than stellar knowledge of the game leaves him a complete blathering idiot content with proving that ignorance is bliss.

RobGriz said:
ordigger said:
mtgrizrule said:

Oh, no...he was Haucks first choice. Haven’t you heard?? WaDipShit4life will tell you all about it. Once again proving his less than stellar knowledge of the game leaves him a complete blathering idiot content with proving that ignorance is bliss.

Rob, go sober up. Come back tomorrow. All will be OK, unless you believe BH is a total blithering moron.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Forget the record at UNLV, that place is a dumpster fire. The guy was defensive coordinator at Notre Dame and Colorado and Washington and California and Stanford and Arizona State. I think he’ll get back on his feet at UM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, UofM is now the program where under performing FBS coaches get back on their feet.

WaGriz4life said:
AZGrizFan said:
Pretty funny, actually. The big bitch against Stitt was that he DIDN’T have D-1 experience. This guy has it in f***[*] SPADES.
THANK YOU

X2 AZ. I love how the mob is reaching for their pitchforks just because this fellow moved around. What you don’t see is a guy banished to DII for years or coming up from his first post at an NAIA school. Clearly he is familiar with top D1 talent and has years of experience at the highest level. I say, “Welcome Aboard Coach!”

I ain't going to start worrying until he plays six corners, four Safeties and one Linebacker.

Whew. Well, we don't have six corners on the roster, so we dodged a big time bullet there.

Will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, but this pick on paper is lackluster at best. I like the D1 experience, but that's basically his only upside that I can see. Very underwhelming.

Was this the kind of choice at coordinator that Griz fans envisioned when we hired Hauck? I think not.

'

GoldenEagle said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Forget the record at UNLV, that place is a dumpster fire. The guy was defensive coordinator at Notre Dame and Colorado and Washington and California and Stanford and Arizona State. I think he’ll get back on his feet at UM.

So, UofM is now the program where under performing FBS coaches get back on their feet.

+1

Nothing says reaching for the stars like a bunch of career retreads looking for another shot at redemption.

cclarkblues said:
RobGriz said:
ordigger said:
mtgrizrule said:

Rob, go sober up. Come back tomorrow. All will be OK, unless you believe BH is a total blithering moron.

Your reading comp skills could use some work as it was not Hauck I was referring too. You also might want to take your own advice about the “sober up” part as the latter might help with the former.

In clicking around, it appears that Baer's best days are behind him.

2046d852e3c3aa1d89285742e92872da.jpg

122b9ab52dc5a7b45434d4e4c653348a.jpg

The one encouraging thing I found on Twitter was this...

https://twitter.com/ddash55/status/939679169822126081

For those interested, his Twitter handle is @kbaer51, but it doesn't seem like he uses it much. Which is not too surprising given that he's 66 years old.

That leads me to another concern actually, from a recruiting perspective, how is a 66-year-old guy going to connect with 18-year-old kids? Semore was phenomenal in that category. Loved seeing kids talking about his home visits on Twitter.

I'd much rather have Gregorak as DC, but that ship has sailed. Looks like we are stuck with this old fart. :roll:

Reading his bio one major thing stands out to me. He took several jobs at schools who had a new head coach. UNLV is a damn dumpster fire regardless of the coach - so I am not even going to count that one against him. People need to settle the F down. I have never done cartwheels over BH, but I think it is fair to say he knows what he is doing. Maybe this guy is a short term play until someone from the Hauck family comes back to Montana? Possibly this guy will surprise everyone and his experience - demeanor will be invaluable. You don’t have to be young to mesh with recruits and 18 year old kids.

Good hire for now. Coach Hauck alluded to brother Tim being hired in near future, but at least after next year as he has signed another contract with the eagles for another year.

https://soundcloud.com/umgrizzlies/coach-hauck-on-kofi-radio-in-kalispell?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=facebook

MiningCityGrizFan said:

For those interested, his Twitter handle is @kbaer51, but it doesn't seem like he uses it much. Which is not too surprising given that he's 66 years old.

That leads me to another concern actually, from a recruiting perspective, how is a 66-year-old guy going to connect with 18-year-old kids? Semore was phenomenal in that category. Loved seeing kids talking about his home visits on Twitter.

I love that in that post you highlighted the UW job but ignored the fact he was nominted for assistant coach of the year in FBS and also was named intern head coach at a program when it’s HC left. Those are two very positive things for coaches. Just sayin

mtgrizfankb said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:

I love that in that post you highlighted the UW job but ignored the fact he was nominted for assistant coach of the year in FBS and also was named intern head coach at a program when it’s HC left. Those are two very positive things for coaches. Just sayin

And I love that you consider his being nominated for an award in 2002 (not winning, but being nominateded) something that should be highlighted.

MiningCityGrizFan said:
mtgrizfankb said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:

And I love that you consider his being nominated for an award in 2002 (not winning, but being nominateded) something that should be highlighted.

Yeah 2002 before the spread offense era

For me, it is trust Bobby to make the right choices. He didn't come to Missoula to lose. If things don't work out there will be changes.

Back