• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kent Baer will be hired as Griz defensive coordinator

'68griz said:
Spanky said:
'68griz said:
FWIW, I have known the Hauck family for half a century. They are terrific people. That said, I do not think Bobby is a god, and I too have some issues with some of his defensive hires and with the fact he did not retain either Selle or Ferriter. I'm more or less okay with the fact that Bobby was re-hired, but I still think it's a bit like marrying your ex. I am not going to support him blindly, and I think that is what some people are doing here.
Do you think it is appropriate for people to oppose him before his first practice?
He is one of the greatest coaches in our history and deserves our support.
No, he is a new coach. He is no more "deserving" of our support than Stitt or any other just-hired coach. Of course, I will root for him and cheer for the Griz, because that is what I do, and have done for 60+ years. But, I won't do it because I think he "deserves" that I do so.

Hauck is not really "new". He has coached here successfully for 7 year and has considerable FBS experience, with mostly positive but some mixed results. He is hardly a new coach like Stitt was. There is considerable data to indicate that Hauck has a good chance of being successful again and with being more popular with large and medium donors, as well as former players (not necessarily the one in the junior/senior class when Hauck first arrived at UM).

SoldierGriz said:
dayday said:
SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Ya think? :lol: :lol:

I think many are excited about the idea of BH's return.

Does anyone really think BH will go without criticism during his tenure? Go into the eGriz magic time machine...plenty of criticism to go around.

BH needs to produce results just like all other coaches. I've not seen anyone post something to the contrary.

Win the conference. Beat the cats. Compete deep into the playoffs. Run a clean program and graduate athletes.

So true. It will be interesting to see reactions if there is some adversity next year. BH better go undefeated because first loss this forum will be insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some will post irrationally next season. They will do so to make their point about Stitt's firing.

Likely examples:

"Did the defense really give up a 3rd and 30? Yeah, that's an improvement."
"Our running game averages are similar to last year. Yeah, that's an improvement."
"I thought BH was a special teams guru! How did they return that punt for a TD? It's not better."

It'll get silly in here.

The vast majority will likely grant BH some grace next season or so. But, he won't get much more than that. He'll need to demonstrate significant, tangible improvements over the first 3 seasons for sure.

I agree. Some of them are already posting silly stuff. Expectations should and will be high for Hauck, as they should be. However, my view is that the program's success has fallen since Stitt arrived (nos. 12/8 in polls), to Nos. 37 and wherever UM was after 2016), so that much be taken into account.

'68griz said:
FWIW, I have known the Hauck family for half a century. They are terrific people. That said, I do not think Bobby is a god, and I too have some issues with some of his defensive hires and with the fact he did not retain either Selle or Ferriter. I'm more or less okay with the fact that Bobby was re-hired, but I still think it's a bit like marrying your ex. I am not going to support him blindly, and I think that is what some people are doing here.
I agree. BH's first tenure began w/ a successful program & maintained it. But in trying to reverse an unsuccessful program at UNLV, he failed. I'm not saying he will fail, here in his second tenure. I hope he returns the Griz to the days of his first tenure. For one thing, he has the support of Griz Nation, whereas at UNLV there was little or no support of the program. I do not expect him to have us in the playoffs this next year, nor even the BSC championship, but a lot better in the conference than Stitt. He needs at least a year to get the program where it was when he left.

Grizzoola said:
'68griz said:
I agree. BH's first tenure began w/ a successful program & maintained it. But in trying to reverse an unsuccessful program at UNLV, he failed. I'm not saying he will fail, here in his second tenure. I hope he returns the Griz to the days of his first tenure. For one thing, he has the support of Griz Nation, whereas at UNLV there was little or no support of the program. I do not expect him to have us in the playoffs this next year, nor even the BSC championship, but a lot better in the conference than Stitt. He needs at least a year to get the program where it was when he left.

The only thing holding the Griz back was a coaching staff. Problem is fixed. #RTD

jcu27 said:
Grizzoola said:
'68griz said:

The only thing holding the Griz back was a coaching staff. Problem is fixed. #RTD
Best comment of the day!

Grizzoola said:
'68griz said:
Bobby got UNLV to a bowl game and had one solid year in Vegas. That’s a success at that dumpster fire of a program.

If anything, he at least got some experience in ATTEMPTING to rebuild a program. I’d say he halfway-succeeded. If he had strung together a couple of seasons finishing around or above .500, that would be a huge success.

I think people here are over-blowing the “rebuilding” that needs to happen to get this team back on top of the Big Sky. We went 7-4 last season, and a couple of those losses should fall squarely on Stitt and Semore’s shoulders (Weber and EWU). If Stitt had his team ready to go coming out the bye week, we don’t go down 31-0 against Weber and we have a tight 4-quarter game. And if Semore could walk and chew bubble gum at the same time we easily handle Eastern.

I think depth in the secondary is where we need the most “rebuilding”. The rest is just finding the players that are ready to go give 60 minutes of tough, disciplined, and consistent play every week.

PlayerRep said:
SoldierGriz said:
dayday said:
SoldierGriz said:
I think many are excited about the idea of BH's return.

Does anyone really think BH will go without criticism during his tenure? Go into the eGriz magic time machine...plenty of criticism to go around.

BH needs to produce results just like all other coaches. I've not seen anyone post something to the contrary.

Win the conference. Beat the cats. Compete deep into the playoffs. Run a clean program and graduate athletes.

So true. It will be interesting to see reactions if there is some adversity next year. BH better go undefeated because first loss this forum will be insane.

Some will post irrationally next season. They will do so to make their point about Stitt's firing.

Likely examples:

"Our running game averages are similar to last year. Yeah, that's an improvement."
"I thought BH was a special teams guru! How did they return that punt for a TD? It's not better."

It'll get silly in here.

The vast majority will likely grant BH some grace next season or so. But, he won't get much more than that. He'll need to demonstrate significant, tangible improvements over the first 3 seasons for sure.

I agree. Some of them are already posting silly stuff. Expectations should and will be high for Hauck, as they should be. However, my view is that the program's success has fallen since Stitt arrived (nos. 12/8 in polls), to Nos. 37 and wherever UM was after 2016), so that much be taken into account.

Already making excuses....fucking AWESOME. This place never fails to deliver.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
SoldierGriz said:
dayday said:

Likely examples:

It'll get silly in here.

Already making excuses....f***[*] AWESOME. This place never fails to deliver.
It's not delivery, it's Digiorno.

AZGrizFan said:
Spanky said:
'68griz said:
Do you think it is appropriate for people to oppose him before his first practice?
Questioning a staff hire is not “opposing him”. That’s taking a statement and a concern to an illogical extreme...

Of course he would say that, AZ. The dude took every loss and setback as a personal attack from Stitt, like he stole Griz football from him. Why else would he and others still be shit talking the guy who got fired and was replaced with their savior?

You can definitely be critical of the staff and still support them, but now their guy is here, and they’re trying to make sure no one does to Hauck what they did to Stitt.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Spanky said:
'68griz said:
Questioning a staff hire is not “opposing him”. That’s taking a statement and a concern to an illogical extreme...

Of course he would say that, AZ. The dude took every loss and setback as a personal attack from Stitt, like he stole Griz football from him. Why else would he and others still be shit talking the guy who got fired and was replaced with their savior?

You can definitely be critical of the staff and still support them, but now their guy is here, and they’re trying to make sure no one does to Hauck what they did to Stitt.
Critical of the staff and still support them? Great comment!

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Spanky said:
'68griz said:

Not going to happen, difference is Hauck is a HC, coach Stitt,sorry to say was just over his head, and when he ran TG off, his DC way over his head.

spsyk said:
uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Spanky said:

Not going to happen, difference is Hauck is a HC, coach Stitt,sorry to say was just over his head, and when he ran TG off, his DC way over his head.
Exactly. I agree.

But he's not the coach anymore, so I guess I don't see why certain people have to add how much they hated the last coach into every. single. post.

He's gone.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Spanky said:
'68griz said:

This x1000

Back