• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kent Baer will be hired as Griz defensive coordinator

gotgame75 said:
Will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, but this pick on paper is lackluster at best. I like the D1 experience, but that's basically his only upside that I can see. Very underwhelming.

Was this the kind of choice at coordinator that Griz fans envisioned when we hired Hauck? I think not.

'

Experienced and solid placeholder until Tim H. returns. Looks like a nice pick to me.

GG, what were your views on Stitt and Semore?

I wonder if any FCS school has ever assembled a coaching staff with more high level FBS experience.

PlayerRep said:
gotgame75 said:
Will gladly eat crow if I'm wrong, but this pick on paper is lackluster at best. I like the D1 experience, but that's basically his only upside that I can see. Very underwhelming.

Was this the kind of choice at coordinator that Griz fans envisioned when we hired Hauck? I think not.

'

Experienced and solid placeholder until Tim H. returns. Looks like a nice pick to me.

I wonder if any FCS school has ever assembled a coaching staff with more high level FBS experience.

I was thinking this is the only logical explanation. Experience is 1 thing, results another.

Just a small reminder after watching the Titans beat KC. Dick LeBeau, DC of Tennessee, is 80 so that means he won a Super Bowl ring with Pittsburgh when he was over 70. Hopefully Baer's experience will guide him to not blitz on 3rd and 34. And there is one huge difference and that is BH knows more than a little about defense and will not be as hands off as the last head coach.

PlayerRep said:
gotgame75 said:

'

+1
If Bobby feels like he's the best option, I trust that that's the case, and so should anyone who claims to be a supporter. You don't know more than BH does about what's available, and who will be the best fit overall. If it doesn't work out, adjustments will be made early and often. Always amazes me how people think they know better than the pro that's making the call. He has his reasons.

Just get behind it and trust...

He was absolutely terrible at UW. I was hoping they would get a joint up and comer as DC. Yikes, this is a really old staff...hope they have plenty 5 hr energy.

GrizRanger said:
I'd much rather have Gregorak as DC, but that ship has sailed. Looks like we are stuck with this old fart. :roll:

You are an victim ageism, that is right up there with racism and misogyny, put your hate behind you and maybe you will grow up to be an adult.

jcglfer said:
He was absolutely terrible at UW. I was hoping they would get a joint up and comer as DC. Yikes, this is a really old staff...hope they have plenty 5 hr energy.

AKA experience, aka connections, aka knows about the game, aka there is no downside in any of these hires. God these tard farts that think an upcomer from a d2 school is god but a group of experienced FBS coaches are gonna destroy the griz... GTFO the stupidity is amazing.

jcu27 said:
jcglfer said:

AKA experience, aka connections, aka knows about the game, aka there is no downside in any of these hires. God these tard farts that think an upcomer from a d2 school is god but a group of experienced FBS coaches are gonna destroy the griz... GTFO the stupidity is amazing.

I agree.

Here's some of the coaching resume of the guy that AZGriz says has failed everywhere he's been:

"A long-time member of Tyrone Willingham's coaching staff, the 2007 season marked the 13th year Kent Baer worked for the Husky head coach and his third at Washington. UW is the third Pac-10 school where Baer has served as a defensive coordinator.

A coach who insists on sound fundamentals and an aggressive attitude on defense, Baer coached with Willingham for three years at Notre Dame and was a member of his staff for seven years at Stanford. Baer served as the Fighting Irish head coach during the 2004 Insight Bowl following Willingham's dismissal.

In 2004 Baer's Irish defense ranked third in the nation against the run (88.2 yards per game) and allowed five rushing TDs during the regular season. The 2003 Irish defense ranked 33rd nationally in total defense and was 29th in the nation against the rush, surrendering only 127.2 yards per game. In Baer's first season at Notre Dame, the 2002 Irish finished ninth in scoring defense (16.69), 10th in the nation in pass efficiency (98.24) and rushing defense (95.23), and 13th in total defense (300.00).

In 2002 Baer was named a finalist for the Frank Broyles Award, given to the nation's most outstanding assistant coach, for the first time in his career.

Baer, who also coached the linebackers while at Stanford, came to the Cardinal in 1995 after serving as a defensive coordinator for 12 seasons at Arizona State, California and Utah State. In 2001, Baer's Cardinal defense led the Pac-10 in rushing defense for only the second time in school history. The Cardinal only gave up 109.6 yards per game on the ground that season.

While at Stanford, Baer coached some of the finest defensive players in school history, including Riall Johnson and Willie Howard. Johnson, an outside linebacker, became the first player in Pac-10 history to lead the league in sacks in back-to-back seasons (1999-2000), while Howard, a defensive end, became only the fourth defensive lineman in school history to earn first-team all-Pac-10 honors in consecutive seasons.

Baer was the defensive coordinator and inside linebackers coach at Arizona State for three seasons (1992-94) prior to coming to Stanford. He has coached at California (1987-91), Idaho (1986), Utah State (1977-85) and with the Yokosuka Seahawks (a United States Navy team) from 1973-76. His 1992 Sun Devils defense allowed just 268.8 yards per game and was ranked seventh in the nation. All-Americans Shante Carver, Craig Newsome and Brett Wallerstedt were all mainstays on Baer's Arizona State defense.

Prior to Arizona State, Baer was Cal's defensive coordinator for five seasons. He was part of a staff that led the Bears to a 17-6-1 record in 1990-91 with victories in the Copper Bowl (1990) and Citrus Bowl (1991). Baer helped lead Cal to a 10-2 record and a No. 8 national ranking in 1991.

In his one season at Idaho, Baer was the defensive coordinator for a Vandals team that went 8-4 and earned a berth in the NCAA Division 1-AA playoffs.

At Utah State, Baer coached outside linebackers for six seasons (1977-82) before becoming the defensive coordinator and secondary coach for three years (1983-85). In two of his three years as defensive coordinator, the Aggies led the conference in total defense."

http://www.gohuskies.com/news/2013/4/18/208223975.aspx

"On April 14, 2008, Baer became defensive coordinator at San Jose State under Dick Tomey.[7]

On December 11, 2012, Baer became interim head coach of San Jose State after Mike MacIntyre resigned to become head coach at Colorado. Baer coached the Spartans to a 29-20 victory over Bowling Green University in the 2012 Military Bowl on December 27. MacIntyre announced on December 18 that he would like Baer to join him in Colorado as defensive coordinator.[8] With five other former San Jose State assistants, Baer joined MacIntyre in Colorado on January 3, 2013.[9]

First year head coach Tony Sanchez completed his staff at UNLV when Baer joined on December 22, 2014 as his defensive coordinator and linebackers coach.[10] Following the 2017 football season, Baer was relieved of his duties as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach at UNLV,"

Wiki.

"Baer and LaRussa were among Sanchez’s first hires when he took the job in December 2014. The Rebels gave up 38.5 points and 513.5 yards per game the season before they arrived from Colorado, and this past season the numbers were down to 31.8 and 458.7."

PlayerRep said:
jcu27 said:
jcglfer said:

I agree.
+2

CFallsGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
gotgame75 said:

'

+1
If Bobby feels like he's the best option, I trust that that's the case, and so should anyone who claims to be a supporter. You don't know more than BH does about what's available, and who will be the best fit overall. If it doesn't work out, adjustments will be made early and often. Always amazes me how people think they know better than the pro that's making the call. He has his reasons.

Just get behind it and trust?

Where was that attitude the last couple of years?!

Remember all of the obnoxious naysayers? Those who had no patience for the rebuilding process? Who believed they knew more than some D2 coach? The ones who actively worked against Stitt? The guys with an agenda who worked to make Stitt’s already difficult job even more difficult? People like Colter? The guy who used Skyline Sports and his exposure on radio to stir up the pro-Hauck/anti-Stitt cult on a daily basis?

Remember them? Because I do...

I’m not going to be petty or make personal attacks on Hauck like I’ve seen and heard the last year, but I sure as heck am not going to give him anymore slack or patience than the so called “best fans in the FCS” gave to Stitt.

From what I know, and I’m absolutely not an insider, Hauck is good man from a good family. He’s a very talented coach, but I don’t think he earned the right to lead this team.

He was basically installed by the politically connected guys sitting in the boxes and writing checks to Haslam. The entire interview process was nothing more than a charade, starting with the press conference where Haslam announced Stitt was not being brought back. Completely disingenuous and phony.

The last couple months have disappointed and disgusted me as an alumni and diehard Griz fan. And so going forward, I’m going to extend to Hauck the same amount of patience and professional understanding that was shown to Coach Stitt and his staff.

No excuses. No time to rebuild or mold the team and staff. The Griz must beat the Cats, win the conference, and make the playoffs every year or he needs to go. No time to rebuild. No injuries can be taken into consideration. This is Griz Nation. Win now or else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MiningCityGrizFan said:
CFallsGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
gotgame75 said:

'

+1

Remember all of the obnoxious naysayers? Those who had no patience for the rebuilding process? Who believed they knew more than some D2 coach? The ones who actively worked against Stitt? The guys with an agenda who worked to make Stitt’s already difficult job even more difficult? People like Colter? The guy who used Skyline Sports and his exposure on radio to stir up the pro-Hauck/anti-Stitt cult on a daily basis?

I’m not going to be petty or make personal attacks on Hauck like I’ve seen and heard the last year, but I sure as heck am not going to give him anymore slack or patience than the so called “best fans in the FCS” gave to Stitt.

From what I know, and I’m absolutely not an insider, Hauck is good man from a good family. He’s a very talented coach, but I don’t think he earned the right to lead this team.

He was basically installed by the politically connected guys sitting in the boxes and writing checks to Haslam. The entire interview process was nothing more than a charade, starting with the press conference where Haslam announced Stitt was not being brought back. Completely disingenuous and phony.

The last couple months have disappointed and disgusted me as an alumni and diehard Griz fan. And so going forward, I’m going to extend to Hauck the same amount of patience and professional understanding that was shown to Coach Stitt and his staff.

No excuses. No time to rebuild or mold the team and staff. The Griz must beat the Cats, win the conference, and make the playoffs every year or he needs to go. No time to rebuild. No injuries can be taken into consideration. This is Griz Nation. Win now or else.

The tin foil must of been on sale.

spsyk said:
GrizRanger said:
I'd much rather have Gregorak as DC, but that ship has sailed. Looks like we are stuck with this old fart. :roll:

You are an victim ageism, that is right up there with racism and misogyny, put your hate behind you and maybe you will grow up to be an adult.

Lol. Ageism?? More like loserism. I don't think anyone's main complaint here is about Baer's age. Take one look at his resume the last dozen years and what is there to be excited about? The guy has been fired repeatedly & presided over some of the worst defensive seasons at each respective school. To me, the only real highlight is that he was a finalist for an assistant coaching award 16 years ago. Yep, I'M PUMPED!!!!!

I did a little research into two former Griz defensive coordinators and how their recent track record as an FBS coordinator compares to our new DC's last 6 years at San Jose State, Colorado and UNLV. Here is what I found.

Paulsen 37 PPG Allowed (Utah State and UNLV)
Breske 33.99 PPG Allowed, 438.9 yards allowed/game, 1.6 turnovers forced/game (Washington State and Idaho)
Baer. 32.98 PPG Allowed, 440.6 yards allowed/game, 1.6 turnovers forced per game (San Jose State, Colorado and UNLV)

Now, none of these are sparkling, but Baer is the best of the bunch in terms of points allowed over each individuals last 6 years as an FBS defensive coordinator. Obviously, the players at each school matter a bunch and other variables exist to a coach's effectiveness, but this does give some insight into how they might compare. As everyone is most likely aware, Breske and Paulsen both did a great job at Montana. By the way, Baer's best year came in 02 at Notre Dame where his defense allowed a paltry 16.7 ppg. That year was obviously not included in the above stats.

Blue Tears said:
I did a little research into two former Griz defensive coordinators and how their recent track record as an FBS coordinator compares to our new DC's last 6 years at San Jose State, Colorado and UNLV. Here is what I found.

Paulsen 37 PPG Allowed (Utah State and UNLV)
Breske 33.99 PPG Allowed, 438.9 yards allowed/game, 1.6 turnovers forced/game (Washington State and Idaho)
Baer. 32.98 PPG Allowed, 440.6 yards allowed/game, 1.6 turnovers forced per game (San Jose State, Colorado and UNLV)

Now, none of these are sparkling, but Baer is the best of the bunch in terms of points allowed over each individuals last 6 years as an FBS defensive coordinator. Obviously, the players at each school matter a bunch and other variables exist to a coach's effectiveness, but this does give some insight into how they might compare. As everyone is most likely aware, Breske and Paulsen both did a great job at Montana. By the way, Baer's best year came in 02 at Notre Dame where his defense allowed a paltry 16.7 ppg. That year was obviously not included in the above stats.

Being the DC at 5 Pac-12 schools and Notre Dame is enough for me. DC at Utah St., San Jose St. and UNLV okay too. Compare to the zero DC experience of Semore and TG when hired.

gotgame75 said:
spsyk said:
GrizRanger said:

Lol. Ageism?? More like loserism. I don't think anyone's main complaint here is about Baer's age. Take one look at his resume the last dozen years and what is there to be excited about? The guy has been fired repeatedly & presided over some of the worst defensive seasons at each respective school. To me, the only real highlight is that he was a finalist for an assistant coaching award 16 years ago. Yep, I'M PUMPED!!!!!

Fired from UNLV and UW. Where else?

MiningCityGrizFan said:
CFallsGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
gotgame75 said:

'

+1

In case anyone cares about the facts.

Stitt was given 3 years at UM. My view is that there really wasn't any "rebuilding" to do. UM was still strong when Stitt came, coming off of 2 seasons of beating Cats and making playoffs and being ranked, at nos.12 and 8 in the final polls. Looking at the last 2 season records, including no playoffs and losses to Cats, there is probably more rebuilding to be done now than when Sittt arrived.

What did Colter do? I must have missed that. Please explain.

What has "disgusted" you in the last couple months? Please explain.

A 3d year coach loses to Cats again and doesn't make playoffs again. The AD, who is faced with deciding what to do with a coach at the end of his contract and with input with big boosters, decides to make a change. The AD, again with input from some boosters, then hires one of the most successful coaches UM has ever had, if not the most successful, who is interested in returning to Montana. The process moves along fairly quickly, in part to get the coach and some assistants in place ahead of the early signing period. Almost no committed recruits are lost. Some non-committed and new recruits sign. A strong coaching staff is put in place. Much of Griz Nation is very excited. I don't understand what is "disgusting" about that.

Sorry, but your last paragraph is just plain ridiculous. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, but so am I.

jcu27 said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:
CFallsGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

+1

Right next to the kool-aid, apparently

RobGriz said:
jcu27 said:
MiningCityGrizFan said:
CFallsGriz said:
+1

Right next to the kool-aid, apparently

shit's delicious

MiningCityGrizFan said:
CFallsGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
gotgame75 said:

'

+1

Remember all of the obnoxious naysayers? Those who had no patience for the rebuilding process?
Never mind that it showed no signs of rebuilding at all and was in fact regressing after three years. The only mistake I have seen Haslam make was hiring him and it was a big one. Big job for BH to bail us out of this mess.

Back