• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

HC Candidates - Videos & Bios

GoldenEagle said:
Your program is getting what it deserves.

A coach that went 6-1 against the Eagles during his 7 years here, won the Big Sky title 7 years in a row (sometimes shared), made the playoffs every year, went to 3 NCs and dominated the conference his last 4 years going 31-1 in conference? Aww thanks GoldenEagle. I hope you're right! I'm glad you're wishing for good things to come back to the Griz! You're a good guy, I don't care what everyone else says :D

cmtgrizzly said:
Jaredkuehn said:
Kane
Thompson
Smith

I’m in the vast minority, but don’t buy the Hauck rumors, and think UM goes another direction.

Kane really impresses me.

Like your list. Any specific reason you like Thompson over Smith? Not a judgment I just havent followed either very much. I know NAU D has been pretty good and Smith did a pretty good job while here.

I can’t say I’ve followed either coach very much either. I like Thompson for his defensive background and his ties to the program are a little deeper than Smith. I’ve got to say, I’m glad I’m not in Haslam’s shoes right now. Evaluating coaching talent and synergies with a program seems incredibly difficult to me.

I keep wondering if there isn't a dark horse somewhere in this process - someone who isn't announcing his interest to the world at large but could be under consideration.

Da Boyz Mom said:
I keep wondering if there isn't a dark horse somewhere in this process - someone who isn't announcing his interest to the world at large but could be under consideration.

I think anything and everything is on the table. A lot of coaches are still finishing up regular seasons and/or post seasons and may be trying avoid distractions to their current teams.

GrizLogger said:
Kane seems solid but how long would he stay in Missoula...?
Thats all that worries me about him. Feels like we'd be a stepping stone back to the midwest.

I don't understand this sentiment.

Look, we're a good program. One of the best in our division, period. But we aren't a top division, so of course we're a stepping stone! Good coaches are driven coaches, and driven coaches want to be the best at the best level. We should want to hire somebody who wants to move on, not somebody who wants to settle here. You know why?

If they've moved on, then they've done well. If they've done well, then as a team, we're doing really well. We'll continue to get good coaches.

Jaredkuehn said:
cmtgrizzly said:
Jaredkuehn said:
Kane
Thompson
Smith

I’m in the vast minority, but don’t buy the Hauck rumors, and think UM goes another direction.

Kane really impresses me.

Like your list. Any specific reason you like Thompson over Smith? Not a judgment I just havent followed either very much. I know NAU D has been pretty good and Smith did a pretty good job while here.

I can’t say I’ve followed either coach very much either. I like Thompson for his defensive background and his ties to the program are a little deeper than Smith. I’ve got to say, I’m glad I’m not in Haslam’s shoes right now. Evaluating coaching talent and synergies with a program seems incredibly difficult to me.

Wish I knew more about both. As a player I am sure Thompson would have some added pride in the program if he was the HC. I wonder why NAU didnt offer him the job when they released Souers. I suppose one could argue they wanted to see the aftermath of firings at the end of the season and see what was going to be available. Also one would wonder when they knew that Hauck was a possibility for them and were just waiting for his season to be over to sign and announce him. In any case NAU would have the most knowledge about Thompson and have not hired him which makes me think that they feel he needs some more development. They could have hired him instead of re-signing Souers. Anyway I think he could be good but maybe needs more development or maybe he will get the NAU job after this year. If not I bet he starts looking around for a new job. I am sure he is looking to advance after this long as a DC with a pretty good D.

Smith seemed to do a good job here and I think at some point will get a chance at the FBS level. He just got passed up for OSU HC position. He might take UM job but will really want a spot to be successful at as I am sure he will want an FBS job ASAP. If he struggles here I think his chances go down for FBS and he may be better off with an FBS OC job.

I agree I would not want to be in Haslams shoes. Very little room for error with our fanbase and boosters and if his next choice doesnt work out he may be out as AD at UM. He has done well with his coaching choices which is not easy to do. Stitt may have done well if he wasnt fired but I also understand the frustration of our fanbase given the results of this past year. Tough position for Haslam. Thanks for responding to my question. :thumb:

After watching how unprepared NAU was, and how their defense was run over and passed over all day today, not sure we want Thompson on that list. Shocked at the outcome of the game.

Yep todays performance was not helpful for his case to be HC. I really think this is Haucks job or possibly Kane's if he really wants it. Kind of excited about Kane. Next probably Smith. After that hopefully a name that hasnt been discussed. I just personally am not excited about any of the others at this point.

As long as they don't wear a f...ing green hat on the sidelines, I'm OK with Kane or Hauck. Proven winners :D

Back