• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

HC Candidates - Videos & Bios

Da Boyz Mom said:
Stitt's firing was probably more on Semore than Stitt himself which proves that it's not just about the HC but also quality of OC/DC and other staff. With this in mind, what kind of staff would each candidate assemble? Bobby has a myriad of connections from his many years in the industry and inspires a lot of confidence that he can and will put together a good staff. While I like Kane's energy and potential, it remains to be seen if he can assemble the kind of staff needed to be successful at Montana. I am not saying he can't or won't do so, just that it's unknown at this point.

When Bobby first interviewed for the HC job at UM, he impressed people by already having his staff named. I expect the same from Bobby this time around. He will be nothing short of prepared.

Da Boyz Mom said:
Stitt's firing was probably more on Semore than Stitt himself which proves that it's not just about the HC but also quality of OC/DC and other staff. With this in mind, what kind of staff would each candidate assemble? Bobby has a myriad of connections from his many years in the industry and inspires a lot of confidence that he can and will put together a good staff. While I like Kane's energy and potential, it remains to be seen if he can assemble the kind of staff needed to be successful at Montana. I am not saying he can't or won't do so, just that it's unknown at this point.

Wrong. It was entirely Stitt. He was the boss, he hired Semore... 100% of the blame falls on Bob Stitt.

PDXGrizzly said:
griz5700 said:
HookedonGriz said:
griz5700 said:
My Picks
1. Hauck
2. Kane
3. Fisher
4. Pease
5. Gregorak
6. Thompson

Nice work on this. Thanks for sharing it. I must say this is the most excited I've seen you with this stuff :clap:

You got it, man. Excited for the next chapter. Although I'm starting to think Kane is best option, which is weird. Feels like I'm betraying King Hauck.. haha.

Kane is a rising star, might have him for 4 years, tops.

Hauck would be great but part of me wants Kane to get the job. If he does well he may only be here 5 years. Probably sounds wrong but this is exactly what we want. I think our program is at its best when we have young, talented, ambitious coaches looking to move up. All coaches that have any drive in them want to go to the next level. If they dont we dont want them. When we win the recruiting gets better, fan support gets better and we have essentially the pick of the litter to replace the outgoing coach. It can take a little longer than 5 years depending on how much building needs to be done but overall a handful of years and then they move up. It isnt necessarily a bad thing. Can you do it another way, yes older coaches closer to the end of their career have been successful but I would like a 2003-2004 Bobby Hauck or Baldwin at this point. I would still be happy with a reinvigorated 2017 Bobby Hauck as well.

griz5700 said:
With Kane, you get a young qualified coach hungry to move up the ranks. That energy may be exactly what the program needs.

A lot of people seem to think that a coach who has aspirations to leave for greener pastures is a bad thing - I totally disagree. If Kane were at UM for 5-6 years, won a ton of games, and left for a better job, that is a win for all parties. You just have to be sure you hire a person with that same energy in the next hire, not a Bob Stitt.

The more I look into Kane, the more I like.

1a. Kane
1b. Hauck

I really think it has already been worked out with Hauck, just waiting for SDS's season to end. If not though and there is a search going on and Kane is really interested enough to take the job, then I'd be just as happy with that hire. Especially if he wins enough games to seriously make FBS teams interested in hiring him. He'd be leaving the caddy in pretty top notch shape if so. If it's not one of those two, then this whole regime change may turn out to be an epic fail. We are already in a visual tailspin and some consistent increase of success is greatly needed. The last staff had too tuff a time maintaining their success and strengths.

griz5700 said:
Da Boyz Mom said:
Stitt's firing was probably more on Semore than Stitt himself which proves that it's not just about the HC but also quality of OC/DC and other staff. With this in mind, what kind of staff would each candidate assemble? Bobby has a myriad of connections from his many years in the industry and inspires a lot of confidence that he can and will put together a good staff. While I like Kane's energy and potential, it remains to be seen if he can assemble the kind of staff needed to be successful at Montana. I am not saying he can'wt or won't do so, just that it's unknown at this point.

Wrong. It was entirely Stitt. He was the boss, he hired Semore... 100% of the blame falls on Bob Stitt.

Right...I actually totally agree with you, but I guess i didn't articulate that well. Stitt got fired because he wouldn't replace Semore... Which leads to my point about getting/keeping the right staff.

griz5700 said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

Or Haslam.....or Engstrom...or The BoR....or Gwen Florio.

cmtgrizzly said:
PDXGrizzly said:
griz5700 said:
HookedonGriz said:
Nice work on this. Thanks for sharing it. I must say this is the most excited I've seen you with this stuff :clap:

You got it, man. Excited for the next chapter. Although I'm starting to think Kane is best option, which is weird. Feels like I'm betraying King Hauck.. haha.

Kane is a rising star, might have him for 4 years, tops.

Hauck would be great but part of me wants Kane to get the job. If he does well he may only be here 5 years. Probably sounds wrong but this is exactly what we want. I think our program is at its best when we have young, talented, ambitious coaches looking to move up. All coaches that have any drive in them want to go to the next level. If they dont we dont want them. When we win the recruiting gets better, fan support gets better and we have essentially the pick of the litter to replace the outgoing coach. It can take a little longer than 5 years depending on how much building needs to be done but overall a handful of years and then they move up. It isnt necessarily a bad thing. Can you do it another way, yes older coaches closer to the end of their career have been successful but I would like a 2003-2004 Bobby Hauck or Baldwin at this point. I would still be happy with a reinvigorated 2017 Bobby Hauck as well.

Well said.

No it isn’t a bad thing to have coaches cycle through every 4-9 years, it’s exactly how we leverage ourselves over our peers. And if you are doing that, you are winning NC’s... We got the toys, the fans, the school, the town... Smart, driven coaches want to take that ride for an aggressive test drive.

Only thing with this strategy is you need strong, intelligent people in the Athletic Department with a clear vision. I have some serious doubts about Haslam and those around him. He hired Stitt - we all should be very skeptical about his vision.

And really if Hauck leaves in 7 or 8 years for another job, that’s cool, means the program is doing well.

But if he wants to coach here till retirement, is winning championships, has built a new streak on State and enrollment is peaking...then I guess he can stick around.

signedbewildered said:
griz5700 said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

Or Haslam.....or Engstrom...or The BoR....or Gwen Florio.

Truth. HASLAM has sort of avoided any criticism. Which is interesting. He wasted 3years of this program with an obvious (to me) bad hire.

Da Boyz Mom said:
griz5700 said:
Da Boyz Mom said:
Stitt's firing was probably more on Semore than Stitt himself which proves that it's not just about the HC but also quality of OC/DC and other staff. With this in mind, what kind of staff would each candidate assemble? Bobby has a myriad of connections from his many years in the industry and inspires a lot of confidence that he can and will put together a good staff. While I like Kane's energy and potential, it remains to be seen if he can assemble the kind of staff needed to be successful at Montana. I am not saying he can'wt or won't do so, just that it's unknown at this point.

Right...I actually totally agree with you, but I guess i didn't articulate that well. Stitt got fired because he wouldn't replace Semore... Which leads to my point about getting/keeping the right staff.

Gotcha. Apologize if I came off a tad brash, Mrs. Da Boyz Mom.

Da Boyz Mom said:
griz5700 said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

I was wondering if Stitt's potential extension was dependent on losing Semore. If so Stitt really was immensely misguided.

Kane
Thompson
Smith

I’m in the vast minority, but don’t buy the Hauck rumors, and think UM goes another direction.

Kane really impresses me.

Jaredkuehn said:
Kane
Thompson
Smith

I’m in the vast minority, but don’t buy the Hauck rumors, and think UM goes another direction.

Like your list. Any specific reason you like Thompson over Smith? Not a judgment I just havent followed either very much. I know NAU D has been pretty good and Smith did a pretty good job while here.

Jaredkuehn said:
Kane
Thompson
Smith

I like Kane. Not sure Thompson’s ready. Smith ain’t coming. Hauck is definitely a front runner.

Curiosity ranking:
Kane. Reminds me a lot of his former boss Dave Doeren, at least in circumstance. There have been very few Griz assistants who moved on to bigger and better things after leaving UM. DOERENis the one who went far. He was an excellent coach. Glenn once told me the offensive coaches didn't like to present their game plans in front of Doeren because he picked them apart.
When Doeren inquired about the Griz job, he was truly interested, but was surprised by how low the Griz pay was. He moved on. Went from co-DC to DC at Wisconsin and was at NIU a couple years later.
Kane looks like he's moving up fast. I'd be surprised if he took the Griz seriously after scratching the surface.
People will zero in on the Doeren connection, but here's another, Bob Cole. Cole revived a Griz offense that was deteriorating when he arrived in 1999. He's done the same thing at most of his other stops, including NIU. Cole is getting pretty old. If he wanted to follow Kane to Montana and be an offensive consultant, that would be a huge plus. The Griz are likely to see their fifth change in offensive scheme in 9 years. That's a recipe for mediocrity. Hiring a coach who can make a good offensive transition without kicking current Griz talent to the curb should be a priority.

Jonathan Smith: certainly capable of transitioning the offense without throwing the Griz into turmoil for several years.

Andy Thompson, not likely, but knows Haslam from NAU.

Hauck. 9 years gone and two FBS job s later, Hauck returns to the school he abandoned for UNLV? UNLV, people. And he has a good gig at SDSU.Not sure why this one makes sense but I'll put him ahead of

Gregorak too drunk

And Pease, hasn't had a good football season in a decade despite stops at Washington and Florida.

I did a bit of research into Pease, and I hope to god we don’t hire him.

He got fired from Florida for getting into a fight with another coach. His 2015 Florida offense was anemic. His last two years at UTEP as the Offensive Coordinator have not given us any reason to believe that will change.

For a program that has tried to bring in offensive talent, he seems like a bad hire. I know he helped coach Super Dave, but this guy seems to be the wrong move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All the talk of Booby Huack screams of desperation. It's like turning forty, getting divorced, and then going after the girl that you dated through your most of your high school years. It was great back then, you were both young a hot, it'll be better with age... right?

Back