• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU scrimmage

HookedonGriz said:
marceagfan5 said:
HookedonGriz said:
Great Day To Be An Eagle said:
yeah. one incident = a shit show. If that's the definition then what do you call your program?
Oh right, dead.

Um just a little touchy there aren't you. I'm referring more to all of the following:

- new coach
- new OC who already left 2 months in
- stud O Lineman who left 2 weeks ago
- starting corner suspended indefinitely as of today

That's the definition of a shit show in my book.

- one could argue that Eastern bringing in a coach that will focus more on winning the trenches and defense, could actually help EWU, its not like the talent on offense went away...

- the new OC leaving was odd, but he was an odd hire to begin with. I think EWU is in a better position with BR as the OC...

- Ellison leaving was tough on the OL, but WR and OL are eastern's strongest positions and have always been that way, especially when your head coach is a former all american lineman

- Gamboa is out week 1, most likely back for NDSU depending on the actual violation...

Some tough breaks, but definitely not a shit show. If EWU starts 0-3 (not going to happen) then you can call it a shit show

May want to check your sources....mine say Gamboa failed the NCAA drug test they do during playoffs and he's out 5 games, similar to what happened to our own Nelson last year.
:shock: Ooofff....

HookedonGriz said:
marceagfan5 said:
HookedonGriz said:
yeah. one incident = a shit show. If that's the definition then what do you call your program?
Oh right, dead.

Um just a little touchy there aren't you. I'm referring more to all of the following:

- new coach

- one could argue that Eastern bringing in a coach that will focus more on winning the trenches and defense, could actually help EWU, its not like the talent on offense went away...

- the new OC leaving was odd, but he was an odd hire to begin with. I think EWU is in a better position with BR as the OC...

- Ellison leaving was tough on the OL, but WR and OL are eastern's strongest positions and have always been that way, especially when your head coach is a former all american lineman

- Gamboa is out week 1, most likely back for NDSU depending on the actual violation...

Some tough breaks, but definitely not a shit show. If EWU starts 0-3 (not going to happen) then you can call it a shit show

May want to check your sources....mine say Gamboa failed the NCAA drug test they do during playoffs and he's out 5 games, similar to what happened to our own Nelson last year.

This is what I'm hearing as well.

EverettGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
marceagfan5 said:
HookedonGriz said:

- new coach

I'm sure by sources you mean what the Eastern board has been discussing, which is probably true. We will know more next week...

Haven't visited your little site in 10 days or so in order to see what your eleven fans are discussing. But thanks for posting on eGriz.

marceagfan5 said:
EverettGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
marceagfan5 said:

I'm sure by sources you mean what the Eastern board has been discussing, which is probably true. We will know more next week...

Wrong again, by sources I mean my friend who played for the Eagles and is still pretty close to the program and its happenings.

EverettGriz said:
Haven't visited your little site in 10 days or so in order to see what your eleven fans are discussing. But thanks for posting on eGriz.

I actually visited that place for the first time in years to see what was being discussed. Something about UNDSU, a very cutting-edge "lookalike thread" for their matchup with Texas Southern, and some guy saying he's going to the hospital but Gambini did flunk a drug test. Other than that, I think there was a 2010 playoff game thread on the first page.

marceagfan5 said:
George Ferguson said:
poorgriz said:
So what you're saying is EWU is having enough bad luck, bad breaks, changes to go through in 2017 so the griz may finally have a shot at beating them this year? (Because frankly they've owned um and MSU for the past decade or so). Got it.
I fully agree EWU owns the Griz right now. Any Griz fan that says otherwise is full of it. But when you use the word finally you make it sound as if the Griz haven't beaten EWU in a long time. Which is not the case, the Griz beat them in 2015, and beat them badly. Now cue the whole EWU had a down year, blah, blah blah, but, you could easily say the same for all the time the Griz haven't beaten EWU. When was the last time EWU beat a Griz team that people weren't bitching about and ripping on for being down? So, while I have no issue saying EWU has owned Montana RECENTLY, the Griz did beat them just two seasons ago. So, since the Cats haven't beaten Eastern since 2012, if they win this year, I think the word FINALLY would be a lot more appropriate.
You guys kicked Eastern's ass in 2015, that game sucked...
It wasn't as close as the 57-16 score would indicate.

Anyone who says for a fact that EWU will be every bit as productive this season as in the past, is hoping, but can't be speaking as a matter of fact. I'm as hopeful as any fan of the Eags, but I still have question marks.

With that said, those thinking their run is over after losing some coaches and receivers, are also hopeful for other reasons. 1st year coaches can win championships...(Mike Houston with JMU last season, or Klieman with NDSU in 2014). The WRs lost will effect the team without a doubt, but when was the last time EWU didn't have a stand out receiving core?

I wouldn't be shocked at 7-4 and I wouldn't be surprised by 10-1 and another deep playoff run. either. The talent and tradition is there, it's just a matter of putting it together.

I think most programs will see a drop off with a coaching change. It doesn't always happen (NDSU is a perfect example), but who would have guessed Montana would have missed the playoffs in 2010 after 2-straight national championship appearances. Granted, Pflu came in during 2010 and changed the offensive strategy right away, while Best at EWU is looking to continue what works but make it more balanced with a stronger running game. I don't see EWU dropping far off, but it's very difficult to replace a great coach like Baldwin, another OC coach, and the best WR in FCS history and not miss a beat.

ewueagle2010 said:
Anyone who says for a fact that EWU will be every bit as productive this season as in the past, is hoping, but can't be speaking as a matter of fact. I'm as hopeful as any fan of the Eags, but I still have question marks.

With that said, those thinking their run is over after losing some coaches and receivers, are also hopeful for other reasons. 1st year coaches can win championships...(Mike Houston with JMU last season, or Klieman with NDSU in 2014). The WRs lost will effect the team without a doubt, but when was the last time EWU didn't have a stand out receiving core?

I wouldn't be shocked at 7-4 and I wouldn't be surprised by 10-1 and another deep playoff run. either. The talent and tradition is there, it's just a matter of putting it together.

Solid post! It's not often that you meet an EWU fan that is in recovery. Keep up the good work! :thumb:

get'em_griz said:
I think most programs will see a drop off with a coaching change. It doesn't always happen (NDSU is a perfect example), but who would have guessed Montana would have missed the playoffs in 2010 after 2-straight national championship appearances. Granted, Pflu came in during 2010 and changed the offensive strategy right away, while Best at EWU is looking to continue what works but make it more balanced with a stronger running game. I don't see EWU dropping far off, but it's very difficult to replace a great coach like Baldwin, another OC coach, and the best WR in FCS history and not miss a beat.

NDSU promoted internally and didn't really change a thing about their offensive or defensive philosophies. As a result, they didn't miss a beat because they had the right players for their system. I think this is the key to their success.

Montana hired externally and significantly changed their offense and suffered in the first year of transition partly due to personnel. Year two was very good and all signs pointed upward for year 3 until the challenges of the next season hit.

EWU promoted from within, but it is TBD how much their offense and defense has changed. They definitely have talent in the program, though.

I don't know how many feel the way I do, but I sure as hell don't want EWU to take a huge step back. The more good teams in the conference the better. I think if Montana gets back to being dominant and Montana state steps up its game in the next few years, the conference could be a bit more exciting week to week with the addition of Idaho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
I don't know how many feel the way I do, but I sure as hell don't want EWU to take a huge step back. The more good teams in the conference the better. I think if Montana gets back to being dominant and Montana state steps up its game in the next few years, the conference could be a bit more exciting week to week with the addition of Idaho.

Agreed, I hope EWU stays strong too.

get'em_griz said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

i think they will still be a solid team this year. Just not as good as last year. I think Texa Tech is a lot tougher game than they are predicting.

RayWill said:
get'em_griz said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

i think they will still be a solid team this year. Just not as good as last year. I think Texa Tech is a lot tougher game than they are predicting.

I may be the only person on the planet who watched EVERY Tech game (both kids go there) AND watched multiple EWU games.

The Tech game will be much tougher than the EWU fans are predicting. Yes, their defense is suspect, but they score 50-60 a game. I've been predicting a 15-17 point game for the past month...something like 55-40 or 56-35

ewueagle2010 said:

If EWU goes 10-1 I'll march nake....hold up. Hoooooold up. I think I still owe Higgins Avenue a trip in my birthday suit....

marceagfan5 said:
- one could argue that Eastern bringing in a coach that will focus more on winning the trenches and defense, could actually help EWU....especially when your head coach is a former all american lineman
I've been hearing a bunch of talk about the e-gals changing their O to include more running plays and it's music to my ears. Baldwin's O is what made that "school" so good for the last decade, and kept the recruits coming. If this change is true, there is literally no reason left for a recruit to pick eWho?

HookedonGriz said:
go96griz said:
I’m sure the loss of EWU's starting corner will have no impact either beyond the coaching change, loss of receivers to NFL and starting left tackle that quit the team during fall camp:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/srjimallen/status/902344898161942528[/tweet]

Ouch that one hurts. he was a good player. Sounds like a shit show over there.

Oh right, dead.

Dead huh wow.....We sure continue to get a lot of nice new facilities and upgrades to better prepare our program for the future for one that is dead.....

We will send you a letter from the morgue when the entire college football landscape changes and EWU is forced to pay D2 ball because of your facilities and program interest.

Back