• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU scrimmage

SeattleBobcat said:
HookedonGriz said:
marceagfan5 said:
HookedonGriz said:
It's funny but that is exactly their attitude. You don't graduate 3 different 1000 yard receivers who all end up in NFL camps and then not miss a beat with the new guys. It's impossible. Unless their new receivers are all 1000 yard receivers who are going to the NFL, then there will absolutely 100% be a drop off. It's not rocket science.

Eastern lost Kaufman, Edwards, and Herd after 2012, all were all american, 1000 yard receivers, the very next year eastern played in the semi's and lost on a last minute TD to go to the chipper....things will be just fine at EWU

Do you truly believe with all of your heart and soul that there will be no drop off in wide receiver offensive production this year? If you say yes you are claiming there are three NFL caliber 1000 yard receivers waiting in the wings
The way they've recruited over the past five years, I wouldn't doubt they have some NFL talent waiting in the wings... To me the bigger problem is coaching staff turnover, the loss of BB is going to kill the eagles this year.

*Also as any man would know, FINE is a woman's term that means everything is NOT FINE.

You're right.

Signed Bewildered

HookedonGriz said:
marceagfan5 said:
HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Nah. Ask any EWU fan....things are FIIIIIIIINNNNNNEEEEE.....not a beat missed. Backup WR's were better than the two currently in the NFL. New coach is just Baldwin reincarnated....no problemo....

It's funny but that is exactly their attitude. You don't graduate 3 different 1000 yard receivers who all end up in NFL camps and then not miss a beat with the new guys. It's impossible. Unless their new receivers are all 1000 yard receivers who are going to the NFL, then there will absolutely 100% be a drop off. It's not rocket science.

Eastern lost Kaufman, Edwards, and Herd after 2012, all were all american, 1000 yard receivers, the very next year eastern played in the semi's and lost on a last minute TD to go to the chipper....things will be just fine at EWU

Do you truly believe with all of your heart and soul that there will be no drop off in wide receiver offensive production this year? If you say yes you are claiming there are three NFL caliber 1000 yard receivers waiting in the wings

No, I think there will be a drop off, but I also think the defense will be improved, much improved and I don't think the offensive drop off will be nearly as much as what people think...

Kupp can't be replaced, but if you look at what his backup did last year when Kupp went down against NDSU and UNI, you'd be optimistic about EWU's receivers. Stiles absolutely abused NDSU last year in the 2nd half (8 catches for 160+) and Eastern arguably had the best receiver recruiting class in the FCS the past 2 years. How that translates to productivity is another argument, but its easy to be optimistic.

The only thing that really matters is if they still run the old "Get 10 yards behind the other teams safeties" play anymore.

If they continue to run that consistently this year I think they'll be fine.

George Ferguson said:
Only think I'm hearing is the usual "backup is better than the starter". Some fans are thinking Barrier will supplant Gage lol

kinda like some griz fans think they wont miss a beat or will even be better with faa tuiese starting in place of strahm, right?

marceagfan5 said:
HookedonGriz said:
marceagfan5 said:
HookedonGriz said:

No, I think there will be a drop off, but I also think the defense will be improved, much improved and I don't think the offensive drop off will be nearly as much as what people think...

Kupp can't be replaced, but if you look at what his backup did last year when Kupp went down against NDSU and UNI, you'd be optimistic about EWU's receivers. Stiles absolutely abused NDSU last year in the 2nd half (8 catches for 160+) and Eastern arguably had the best receiver recruiting class in the FCS the past 2 years. How that translates to productivity is another argument, but its easy to be optimistic.

stiles is a very good receiver, watched him last year make impossible catches. hoping to see your second game against NDSU.

braves84 said:
George Ferguson said:
Only think I'm hearing is the usual "backup is better than the starter". Some fans are thinking Barrier will supplant Gage lol

kinda like some griz fans think they wont miss a beat or will even be better with faa tuiese starting in place of strahm, right?

Watch a bunch of Griz football? Because one thing I know for sure is a drive won't be unnecessarily extended because of a bone headed personal foul call on that position. That's a win for the defense every time out.

EWU may not miss a beat after losing their coach and best player . I mean look at us for example. We lost Mick Delaney and Jordan Johnson who 2 years in a row led us to early round exits in the playoffs. We lose both of them and what do we go and do...Stitt gets us right back in there for another early exit. Anything is possible.

They may be in for a rough start, but given the quality (or lack thereof) of most Big Sky defenses, I'm certainly not going to count them out of a playoff spot just yet.

Kind of like our scrimmages, I don't know if EWU's scrimmage really provides much foresight on how good they will be this year. I think we are overestimating the loss of Kupp. He was an excellent player (arguably the best WR in BCS history, IMO), but receiver isn't their challenge. Losing their HC and coordinators and having a less effective OL will be there biggest concern. Baldwin and his coordinators were excellent game strategists and that is difficult to replace, especially if you have OL concerns.I think EWU will lose a couple BSC games this year because of that.

bgbigdog said:
braves84 said:
George Ferguson said:

Watch a bunch of Griz football? Because one thing I know for sure is a drive won't be unnecessarily extended because of a bone headed personal foul call on that position. That's a win for the defense every time out.

Some people insist on regurgitating this myth even when it's been proven false.

I'd be more worried if I were an ewooo fan (Dear Lord, thank you SOOO much) about their offensive line. They just had a starter up and leave the program (Ellison).

In the scrimmage they couldn't run the ball and gave up a handful of sacks. While I'm certain they defense has improved some, that has to be concerning. You can have the greatest receivers in the world, but Gubrud isn't going to hit many of them lying on his ass.

Ursa Major said:
SeattleBobcat said:
HookedonGriz said:
marceagfan5 said:

The way they've recruited over the past five years, I wouldn't doubt they have some NFL talent waiting in the wings... To me the bigger problem is coaching staff turnover, the loss of BB is going to kill the eagles this year.

*Also as any man would know, FINE is a woman's term that means everything is NOT FINE.

You're right.

Signed Bewildered

I LOLed.....but it works.

signedbewildered said:
Ursa Major said:
SeattleBobcat said:
HookedonGriz said:

You're right.

Signed Bewildered

I LOLed.....but it works.

:thumb:

AZGrizFan said:
Nah. Ask any EWU fan....things are FIIIIIIIINNNNNNEEEEE.....not a beat missed. Backup WR's were better than the two currently in the NFL. New coach is just Baldwin reincarnated....no problemo....

3 WR's in the NFL.
Shaq Hill - Texans
Kendrick Bourne - 49ers
Cooper Kupp - Rams

:coffee:

BigSkyChamp said:
AZGrizFan said:

3 WR's in the NFL.
Shaq Hill - Texans
Kendrick Bourne - 49ers
Cooper Kupp - Rams

You realize that adds support to his point, right?

CDAGRIZ said:
BigSkyChamp said:
AZGrizFan said:

3 WR's in the NFL.
Shaq Hill - Texans
Kendrick Bourne - 49ers
Cooper Kupp - Rams

You realize that adds support to his point, right?

:lol: :lol: No. No, he doesn't.

Looks like more lackluster yesterday from EWU. Scored two TDs but one off a blown coverage. 2 ints. 6 sacks and no running game in sight. Grubbard will still be excellent but WR drops, bad routes and terrible oline play seeming to trend. This is all from a buddy who is an EWU diehard. Usually he doesn't admit when things are ugly over there. To be fair, things haven't been ugly in a long time.

I’m sure the loss of EWU's starting corner will have no impact either beyond the coaching change, loss of receivers to NFL and starting left tackle that quit the team during fall camp:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/srjimallen/status/902344898161942528[/tweet]

go96griz said:
I’m sure the loss of EWU's starting corner will have no impact either beyond the coaching change, loss of receivers to NFL and starting left tackle that quit the team during fall camp:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/srjimallen/status/902344898161942528[/tweet]

Ouch that one hurts. he was a good player. Sounds like a shit show over there.

Back