• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU scrimmage

Fans will forever underestimate the impact of coaching changes. Yes the Griz got lucky a few times and so have other teams but it is no better than a 50/50 impact on the team. New coaches = new team rules = new priorities = unrest and uncertainty. It doesn't spell doom for EWU by any means but it sure seems like their team is still in the storming phase (as in the organizational development process of forming, storming, norming, performing).

Grisly Fan said:
Fans will forever underestimate the impact of coaching changes. Yes the Griz got lucky a few times and so have other teams but it is no better than a 50/50 impact on the team. New coaches = new team rules = new priorities = unrest and uncertainty. It doesn't spell doom for EWU by any means but it sure seems like their team is still in the storming phase (as in the organizational development process of forming, storming, norming, performing).
There aren't too many Beau Baldwins. He could get them to overachieve. Very, very difficult to find someone as good, particularly on the offensive side of the ball.

HookedonGriz said:
go96griz said:
I’m sure the loss of EWU's starting corner will have no impact either beyond the coaching change, loss of receivers to NFL and starting left tackle that quit the team during fall camp:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/srjimallen/status/902344898161942528[/tweet]

Ouch that one hurts. he was a good player. Sounds like a shit show over there.

yeah. one incident = a shit show. If that's the definition then what do you call your program?
Oh right, dead.

Great Day To Be An Eagle said:
HookedonGriz said:
go96griz said:
I’m sure the loss of EWU's starting corner will have no impact either beyond the coaching change, loss of receivers to NFL and starting left tackle that quit the team during fall camp:

yeah. one incident = a shit show. If that's the definition then what do you call your program?
Oh right, dead.

Um just a little touchy there aren't you. I'm referring more to all of the following:

- new coach
- new OC who already left 2 months in
- stud O Lineman who left 2 weeks ago
- starting corner suspended indefinitely as of today

That's the definition of a shit show in my book.

HookedonGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
go96griz said:

Oh right, dead.

Um just a little touchy there aren't you. I'm referring more to all of the following:

- new coach

So what you're saying is EWU is having enough bad luck, bad breaks, changes to go through in 2017 so the griz may finally have a shot at beating them this year? (Because frankly they've owned um and MSU for the past decade or so). Got it.

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Oh right, dead.

- new coach

So what you're saying is EWU is having enough bad luck, bad breaks, changes to go through in 2017 so the griz may finally have a shot at beating them this year? (Because frankly they've owned um and MSU for the past decade or so). Got it.

Glad that MSU education is working out for you Stitt lover. Never said any of that. Simply said they've had a lot of drama this off season and it's a bit of a shit show. Nothing more nothing less.

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Oh right, dead.

- new coach

Well EWU certainly took advantage of our bad luck, bad breaks, and changes since 2010, and finally started consistently beating UM, so... :coffee:

HookedonGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
go96griz said:

Oh right, dead.

- new coach

- one could argue that Eastern bringing in a coach that will focus more on winning the trenches and defense, could actually help EWU, its not like the talent on offense went away...

- the new OC leaving was odd, but he was an odd hire to begin with. I think EWU is in a better position with BR as the OC...

- Ellison leaving was tough on the OL, but WR and OL are eastern's strongest positions and have always been that way, especially when your head coach is a former all american lineman

- Gamboa is out week 1, most likely back for NDSU depending on the actual violation...

Some tough breaks, but definitely not a shit show. If EWU starts 0-3 (not going to happen) then you can call it a shit show

I live in Spokane Valley, my daughter graduated from EWU. I am a UM grad.

So when the Griz are not playing EWU I cheer for EWU,,,,, sometimes. I even have a EWU Dad hat. I have even worn it once or twice when my daughter came over to visit. LOL
BUT, you have to face the fact that when you are at the top for so long everyone wants to see you fall.
It happened to the Griz and now we are climbing back up.
So the EWU fans that jump on Egriz need to chill out and not get their shorts in a wad when someone says something not nice about their team. Enjoy this time of being on the top, but it will not last forever.
Remember all the life lessons you learned in grade school during recess. Play nice and don't steel someone else's lunch.

- Gamboa is out week 1, most likely back for NDSU depending on the actual violation...

Just curious, why would they come out and say "indefinitely" if its only going to be a one game suspension? A one game suspension is not a huge deal and could be a number of things, you would think they would just say, "Gamboa suspended for the 1st game". "Indefinitely" to me, usually seems to refer to something more serious and ends up in a longer suspension.

blackfootipa said:

Just curious, why would they come out and say "indefinitely" if its only going to be a one game suspension? A one game suspension is not a huge deal and could be a number of things, you would think they would just say, "Gamboa suspended for the 1st game". "Indefinitely" to me, usually seems to refer to something more serious and ends up in a longer suspension.

Becuase they are all in denial. The one guy that predicted a Texas tech victory on their board about had his head torn off. They think they are better than last year, nothing to worry about.
6f90609e9d42532d8edeac97e0cd9a428fce848f6177944899ba5b045b4db284.jpg

poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Oh right, dead.

- new coach

I fully agree EWU owns the Griz right now. Any Griz fan that says otherwise is full of it. But when you use the word finally you make it sound as if the Griz haven't beaten EWU in a long time. Which is not the case, the Griz beat them in 2015, and beat them badly. Now cue the whole EWU had a down year, blah, blah blah, but, you could easily say the same for all the time the Griz haven't beaten EWU. When was the last time EWU beat a Griz team that people weren't bitching about and ripping on for being down? So, while I have no issue saying EWU has owned Montana RECENTLY, the Griz did beat them just two seasons ago. So, since the Cats haven't beaten Eastern since 2012, if they win this year, I think the word FINALLY would be a lot more appropriate.

George Ferguson said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
Oh right, dead.

- new coach

I fully agree EWU owns the Griz right now. Any Griz fan that says otherwise is full of it. But when you use the word finally you make it sound as if the Griz haven't beaten EWU in a long time. Which is not the case, the Griz beat them in 2015, and beat them badly. Now cue the whole EWU had a down year, blah, blah blah, but, you could easily say the same for all the time the Griz haven't beaten EWU. When was the last time EWU beat a Griz team that people weren't bitching about and ripping on for being down? So, while I have no issue saying EWU has owned Montana RECENTLY, the Griz did beat them just two seasons ago. So, since the Cats haven't beaten Eastern since 2012, if they win this year, I think the word FINALLY would be a lot more appropriate.

You guys kicked Eastern's ass in 2015, that game sucked...

blackfootipa said:

I don't know enough about it, but Eastern is pretty strict when it comes to violations, so if it were major, he would have been booted from the team. He's still practicing with the team, which would indicate it is nothing too serious. Just my guess he will be back week 2, time will tell...

marceagfan5 said:
George Ferguson said:
poorgriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

- new coach

:lol: :lol:

That game and the MSU game (along with the NDSU game earlier in the year) really set an expectation level for Stitt-coached teams that he's NEVER been able to live up to since.... :oops: :oops:

Grisly Fan said:

Agreed. In addition, new coaches = new offensive/defensive schemes (and new priorities for some personnel, i.e. no TE or 1 back or 3-4/4-3) = new coach personalities = new players brought in to compete immediately = changes in some traditions = starters having to re-earn their positions = new favorites = new egos potentially clashing = different manners of discipline = different routines.

I went through a coaching change my senior. DC and my position coach elevated, but all new assistants. Would have been much harder and more disruptive with a new head coach not being elevated.

AZGrizFan said:
marceagfan5 said:
George Ferguson said:
poorgriz said:

:lol: :lol:

That game and the MSU game (along with the NDSU game earlier in the year) really set an expectation level for Stitt-coached teams that he's NEVER been able to live up to since.... :oops: :oops:

He did set the bar high with big wins over EWU, MSU, and NDSU that year, pretty impressive year but not much since. From an outsider, I really respect the Griz program, just never have liked Stitt...

marceagfan5 said:
blackfootipa said:

I don't know enough about it, but Eastern is pretty strict when it comes to violations, so if it were major, he would have been booted from the team. He's still practicing with the team, which would indicate it is nothing too serious. Just my guess he will be back week 2, time will tell...

I assume the word "indefinitely" is used because the amount of punishment hasn't yet been determined, which can result from facts still coming in, and/or the legal process proceeding, and/or the governing committee hasn't had an opportunity to meet. Also, "suspended indefinitely" sounds bigger than it may actually be, and may help get some fans/press off the backs of the athletic department.

EWU had a great run these last couple of years but l would say this is pretty typical when a new coaching
staff comes in..Baldwin was great coach and it will be hard to replace a guy like that..Griz started to
slid when Pflugrad was let go...EWU capitalize on the Griz decline...l would like to think were starting to comeback but time will tell..good luck to the Eags!

marceagfan5 said:
HookedonGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Oh right, dead.

- new coach

- one could argue that Eastern bringing in a coach that will focus more on winning the trenches and defense, could actually help EWU, its not like the talent on offense went away...

- the new OC leaving was odd, but he was an odd hire to begin with. I think EWU is in a better position with BR as the OC...

- Ellison leaving was tough on the OL, but WR and OL are eastern's strongest positions and have always been that way, especially when your head coach is a former all american lineman

Some tough breaks, but definitely not a shit show. If EWU starts 0-3 (not going to happen) then you can call it a shit show

May want to check your sources....mine say Gamboa failed the NCAA drug test they do during playoffs and he's out 5 games, similar to what happened to our own Nelson last year.

Back