• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2021 Griz Football 19 Signed: (3) 2021 Offers

Paytonlives said:
kemajic said:
It's all about the (lack of) money.

And that Hauck and Company are big on relationship and getting them on campus for visits.... those never happened this recruiting cycle

As I said back in June, don't be surprised if greater than 75% of both schools in-state recruiting classes are Montana kids. The lack of on-campus visits and in-person recruiting the coaches could do really hurt the out-of-state recruiting. But...Montana kids give these rosters a great mix of talent, depth, competition, and heart. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out in 2021 with both rosters.

I think it’s absolutely incredible how many commits we’ve gotten with the lack of scholarships and $ available. So many of these kids are coming on as PWOs or straight up walk ons, probably all in an effort to realize a dream and help the Griz in this transition. They will all be working their asses off for scholarships after this first year or two and I bet many of them get them.

I would’ve never guessed we would have signed 19 kids (and that number may still grow) given the strangeness of this year. This is a good thing.

HookedonGriz said:
I think it’s absolutely incredible how many commits we’ve gotten with the lack of scholarships and $ available. So many of these kids are coming on as PWOs or straight up walk ons, probably all in an effort to realize a dream and help the Griz in this transition. They will all be working their asses off for scholarships after this first year or two and I bet many of them get them.

I would’ve never guessed we would have signed 19 kids (and that number may still grow) given the strangeness of this year. This is a good thing.

Agreed. I’ve been in impressed with the strategy this year by the coaches. It was smart plus we have such a rich history with Montana walk ons becoming starters and even impact players that it is a good bet at least a few of these kids that are PWOs will become that.

Ben McGourin was on the Fight On Montana podcast and said he is 6’3” 245 and the coaches at UM plan for him to start at DE.

dayday said:
Ben McGourin was on the Fight On Montana podcast and said he is 6’3” 245 and the coaches at UM plan for him to start at DE.
Arguably the best prospect on the team. The real deal.

Griz til I die said:
AZGrizFan said:
Agreed. He's a beast.
Even better then his brother?
My bad; I meant to refer to Jacob, who is a more known entity. We have yet to see whether Ben is his equal.

Two Cheney boys who feel Montana is a better place play and get an education.

grizfan1984 said:
Not sure if we add anymore out of state guys anytime soon. I hope to add a few more guys before signing day in a week and a half, bring it home Tel Arthur and Junior Bergen, wouldn’t mind adding another OL guy too, someone like Ty Raiha but we will see where things go from here.

I played football with Ty Raiha's dad, Greg, at Butte High. Greg was also a good offensive lineman.

kemajic said:
Griz til I die said:
Even better then his brother?
My bad; I meant to refer to Jacob, who is a more known entity. We have yet to see whether Ben is his equal.

Two Cheney boys who feel Montana is a better place play and get an education.

Lol...and I assumed that’s who you were referring to.... :lol:

Jayden Stanley is announcing tomorrow I’m not sure we are still in the running he had our offer pinned for some times but now has UC Davis pinned

grizfan1984 said:
Jayden Stanley is announcing tomorrow I’m not sure we are still in the running he had our offer pinned for some times but now has UC Davis pinned

He’d be a good pick up. Could use a corner in this class but with this cycle I’m not sure either.

HookedonGriz said:

The PWO strategy will be the norm for the next couple years...because of the eligibility waivers for all classes enrolled in 2020 there will likely be 6 years worth of players/recruits with 4 years worth of scholarship money available until the 2020 recruiting class exhausts their eligibility. The combination of player development and attrition will be the scholarship metric for years 2-5. Year 1 scholarships will be reserved each year for a small handful of special recruits. Because every school is experiencing the same scholarship squeeze it will likely not accelerate any talent drain.

Oline Coach said:
HookedonGriz said:

The PWO strategy will be the norm for the next couple years...because of the eligibility waivers for all classes enrolled in 2020 there will likely be 6 years worth of players/recruits with 4 years worth of scholarship money available until the 2020 recruiting class exhausts their eligibility. The combination of player development and attrition will be the scholarship metric for years 2-5. Year 1 scholarships will be reserved each year for a small handful of special recruits. Because every school is experiencing the same scholarship squeeze it will likely not accelerate any talent drain.
Thanks for the post , that is really insightful. Had been focusing on the seniors getting another year, hadn't really thought about how that would trickle down through each class. Also a good point that every team is in the same boat. :thumb:

So with signing day on Wednesday, like 1984 has said, not really expecting much for surprises. There may be one or two. Hauck last three classes usually had a OL that I did not know about but sort of doubting it.

The other thing to keep in my mind that some of the PWOs might not be announced right away as they are not signing a NLI necessarily but sometimes sign an aid agreement with the school

Oline Coach said:
HookedonGriz said:

Oline coach...thanks for posting this....makes a whole lot of sense to me.....there is power in numbers out for football and getting the right kid (intelligent, sold out on griz football, and body frame) ....I believe, like you, we will be ok.....this way the funds for full rides for special need positions will be available to the staff.....development is key and Hauck is known for that......my two cents.

SaskGriz said:
Oline Coach said:
Thanks for the post , that is really insightful. Had been focusing on the seniors getting another year, hadn't really thought about how that would trickle down through each class. Also a good point that every team is in the same boat. :thumb:

Great explanations Oline Coach! It also brings up intrigue on how FCS coaching staffs are going to use this spring season (if it happens). Will it be "all-in" and try to win a title with your best players OR will it be more of a "let's see who we got" approach where the depth plays most of the snaps and roster attrition between those 2nd-4th year players can be sorted out in early summer prior to Fall 2021 kicking off? Like you said, its going to be a 2-5 year process to get things back to normal on the scholarship allocation front.

With signing day being on Wednesday do you think we will add anybody else? I’m hoping for Bergen and maybe a suprise or 2 but not likely.

grizfan1984 said:
With signing day being on Wednesday do you think we will add anybody else? I’m hoping for Bergen and maybe a suprise or 2 but not likely.

Apart from Bergen, I'm anxious to see what happens with NyaSanu Green and Ammon Munyer. With Detrick and Mcgourin both playing DE maybe that frees up a linebacker spot for NyaSanu or maybe he plays a H-back/TE who knows.

Back