• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2017 MT HS Football

Watched the 6-man showdown between Valier and Sunburst last night. Rained the entire game. First half was fairly even 25-20 Valier at the half. Second half was all Valier after some good adjustments. Griz Commit Curry from Valier and Pickering (offer from Tech) from Sunburst both had very solid games. First half was Pickering with 3 touchdowns, 2 off of busted plays that caught the Valier in bad position. Second half was all Curry and team. Curry moved back to safety and had 3 picks, one for a touchdown. They also moved Curry into the running back rotation and kept it on the ground the entire second half. Curry scored twice from the RB position. Final score 55-20 Valier wins.
Takeaways
Curry is very fast for 6'7" 220
Pickering has good foot work at 6'4" 230
They both have good hands even in sloppy wet conditions.

All athletic events involving Flathead valley teams are cancelled for this weekend. That includes games that these teams were travelling to. They are taking the threat pretty seriously, apparently.

grizpack said:
All athletic events involving Flathead valley teams are cancelled for this weekend. That includes games that these teams were travelling to. They are taking the threat pretty seriously, apparently.

Going to make figuring out the AA playoff teams a real mess.

Glacier, Sentinel, Helena and Flathead might only have 9 games...

Updated. With two weeks to go in all classes other than AA, playoff seeds will be decided this weekend. A lot of good games on the docket with playoff on the line.

Not being a homer here, it's just that I've a lot of BHS Soph QB Tommy Mellot, kid is a player...

Saw Griz commit/Billings SR Gabe Sulser last weekend in Butte, as expected he was a greaat player! Will be a trememdous Griz. A- in break-a-way speed, A+ in every other category.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Not being a homer here, it's just that I've a lot of BHS Soph QB Tommy Mellot, kid is a player...

Saw Griz commit/Billings SR Gabe Sulser last weekend in Butte, as expected he was a greaat player! Will be a trememdous Griz. A- in break-a-way speed, A+ in every other category.

Gabe Sulser is a great player and a good get for the Griz. I hope they are not overlooking Ben Voss at Billings Central. He plays both side and lights out every play.

Blgs Griz Fan said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Gabe Sulser is a great player and a good get for the Griz. I hope they are not overlooking Ben Voss at Billings Central. He plays both side and lights out every play.

Having a great year. Through 7 games this year:

At RB - 1165 rushing yards on 111 carries for 19 rushing touchdowns; 12 receptions for 199 yards and 2 more touchdowns

At LB - 31 solo tackles, 8 TFLs, 6 sacks, 2 interceptions

Only problem he is 5'10", 165 lbs. playing tailback and his best 100M time is 11.6, which is good but needs to be quicker for a kid his size at RB. For example, Lane Sumner is a 5'8", 180 lb. back from Huntley Project who received a partial from the Cats mostly due to his speed and elusiveness as his best 100M time is 11.07 which is up there with top recruits Gabe Sulser (11.00), Drew Turner (11.07), and Mark Estes (11.07). He also doesn't have the frame to be a linebacker at the FCS level. He has a twitter follow from UM's Justin Green and MSU's BJ Robertson but I predict Ben going NAIA because he won't receive a scholarship offer from either FCS school. Might receive a PWO but Ben could be a great player for a Division II school like Minot State or several of the NAIA programs. I don't think any school is overlooking him. He is getting recruited hard by the NAIA programs and received light interest from UM and MSU which is about what I expected him to receive.

Griz90 said:
Love the optimism for my Sidney Eagles but I'm not quite buying it and I watch a lot of practices (I live a half-block from the field). First two weeks will give us an indication of where we are...Belgrade at home and Billings Central on the road. Class A is wide open for the taking.

Buying it yet?

Vim what's your take on Seth Schneider and the other 2 linemen from Capital Shuman and Welnel do you think they could be Griz or NAIA?

Paytonlives said:
Allezchat said:
How does Estes look tonight?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Good.... he is a big kid. Looks a little unsure. But I would guess it's just first game at AA jitters

I would guess he has 4 catches for 40 yards. Or so

Had a good kick return. About 32 yards

Mark's first three AA games: 8 catches for 59 yards; 1 rushing touchdown

Mark's next three AA games: 14 catches for 326 yards; 4 receiving touchdowns

Started slow but since the Glacier made their QB change from senior Brady Pfeiffer to junior Evan Todd, they are set to make a run at the playoffs after starting the year at 0-4.

Brady's first three games starting at QB: 26/48 for 202 yards; 0 TDs/3 INTs
Evan's last three games starting at QB: 39/69 for 668 yards: 7 TDs/2 INTs

Currently, Drew Turner is second in the AA rushing title race to Seth Schneider of Helena Capital by about 100 yards. Seth has 1079 and Drew has 983 on 131 and 137 carries, respectively. Seth has 16 rushing touchdowns and Drew has 12. They were my #1 and #2 backs going into the season. Despite being #2 in yards, Seth is running behind the #1 offensive line in the state while Drew is behind a sub-par unit at best.

grizfan1984 said:
Vim what's your take on Seth Schneider and the other 2 linemen from Capital Shuman and Welnel do you think they could be Griz or NAIA?

Welnel is the best athlete of the three Capital lineman (Quick, Welnel, Shuman) but doesn't quite have the mean streak of his older brother Marcus. At 6'5", 250 lbs., there is definitely something to work with there and I see no reason not to at least offer him a PWO to join his brother. He wants to be a Griz.

Shuman definitely understands the mindset on how to play offensive line. He is probably the best finisher in the state as he plays until the whistle. Is a great down blocker in the run game and physical when he gets into a defensive lineman. The only thing holding Carson back from being a full-ride FCS offensive lineman is his foot speed and it shows on film. I still think he is worth a look at the FCS level as a guard or center prospect.

Seth Schneider has the ability and frame to be a FCS running back or linebacker, plain and simple. But again, speed is the #1 thing holding him back from being a sure-fire, full-ride FCS talent. Also again, I believe he is worth a look as a preferred walk-on for both in-state FCS programs. You can't argue with his tape or production over the past two years.

I've heard there will be several scouts watching the Titans@ Charlo game. I understand Charlo has one player in particular they want to see. Remember the Titans? Hope you will next week.

garizzalies said:
I've heard there will be several scouts watching the Titans@ Charlo game. I understand Charlo has one player in particular they want to see. Remember the Titans? Hope you will next week.

QB Landers Smith. He's a junior, about 6'0" - 190 lbs., and is one of the hardest players to contain in the state at any level. Could be a running back, receiver, linebacker, or safety at the FCS level. One of my favorite players in next year's Montana recruits.

His current Junior highlights: http://www.ncsasports.org/football-recruiting/montana/charlo/charlo-high-school/landers--smith.

NorthEndZoneDan said:
Vim, whats your take on Levi Janacaro?

He's Tim Tebow 2.0. But where does he fit in a FCS program? He won't be a QB so that isn't where he should be evaluated. At 6'0", 220 lbs., he's either a running back or linebacker in college. He doesn't really have the speed for the FCS level but he is a bull in a china closet running the ball with good athleticism. I don't see him as a running back for a team like Montana because of scheme but he would fit into the H-back (fullback/tight end hybrid) role for a team like MSU. I think he is a legitimate MLB prospect for both in-state schools defensively and I think that is where he is getting recruited. But he has had a prolific high school career running the football so coaches are definitely intrigued by him on the offensive side of the ball. PWO or partial kid in my opinion.

Back