• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

News Story about Haslems decision

..cats could easily turn the tables on the Griz recruiting in the state..they have the momentum on
their side..people are finally realizing Stitt doesn't have what it takes!

Ursus1 said:
PlayerRep said:
Paytonlives said:
kemajic said:
They have been the best football team in the state the last two years.

Big picture vs. little picture.

Do you or anyone think that the Cats led by Choate are not on the way up. Wait till they get their players. The word I get from Bozeman is that MSU is still lacking players and working on getting the needed horses. Speaking of that, did the Griz recruit that big frosh runner from Dillon? That kid is good. Also, who was the best qb on the field yesterday?
The

Their streak is now two...and PR you are correct about MSU and unless changes occur at UM that streak could become significantly longer.

All the crap Stitt spewed about the last 365 days doing what was needed to get the team back to where it should be was car salesman pitch, and so many bought into it they now see the lemon they own. Trust him again if he keeps a couple coaches? Shame on those that do...

In defense of Stitt, I thought UM did improve many of those things this season. Obviously, it wasn't enough. While I believe in results, especially by year 3, and don't believe losing to Cats and getting knocked out of playoffs is acceptable, not having Phillips this season hurt.

grizghost said:
..cats could easily turn the tables on the Griz recruiting in the state..they have the momentum on

And don't Cats currently have about double the amount of MT kids on their roster? I don't know about quality, but the Cats clearly have some MT player quality too.

grizcountry420 said:
PlayerRep said:
fanofzoo said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Haslam should have extended the contract BEFORE the Cat-Griz game. Now he's in a hell of a mess because he made it appear the decision was contingent on the game's outcome, as if that was going to affect Stitt's (or the team's) performance.

We lost a game. It's not the end of the world. People need to get a grip.

i believe "trending" is the word and it ain't good

Didn't UM go from 6-5 to 7-4? Assume that's the "sharp upward trend" that some posters have been talking about. Ya, we didn't beat the Cats again and probably won't make the playoffs again, but we beat UNC this year.

We may have won 7 games but non of those games were quality wins. Sure, you could say... well we beat NAU but in reality if Cookus didn't get ejected, we don't win that game. The opponents we did beat though had a combined record of....
26-50

I can't justify how some posters think that's an upward trend.

Without Cookus, NAU is a different team. Without Jensen/Phillips, Montana is a different team. I don’t understand the asterisk that people place on this game. FFS, we played a WR at QB and won.

cmtgrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
cmtgrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
Do you or anyone think that the Cats led by Choate are not on the way up. Wait till they get their players. The word I get from Bozeman is that MSU is still lacking players and working on getting the needed horses. Speaking of that, did the Griz recruit that big frosh runner from Dillon? That kid is good. Also, who was the best qb on the field yesterday?

PR, still havent been able to watch the game as I am out of town working. Did Jensen play poorly yesterday?

No, he didn't play poorly. He looked sharp on the first drive. I felt good about the O after that drive, but then the O got inconsistent. But he did have 2 turnovers in the second half. A pick and a fumble. The D got a 3 and out after the pick, so we didn't give up points, but we didn't get momentum going and needed it after the Cats had a long, maybe 16 play, drive eating up almost 9 minutes, to start the 2d half. Got only 3 points, tho, after the D stiffened in the red zone.

UM couldn't use its run game as much, as they needed to pass to get 2 scores, as the clock ticked down. Cats were able to be more aggressive on D. Jensen was under more pressure. Jensen appeared to have hurt his right hand later in 4th Q. That didn't help. He fought hard in the circumstances, but he and the O didn't make enough plays. The Cat QB was a finding a way to make more plays, and he hurt us more in the second half than he did in the first half.

Cat QB ended up with better efficiency rating. He was very good yesterday. He is very fast and shifty and didn't make mistakes. Jensen is young and will get better and better. I don't blame anything on Jensen. I'm glad we have him.

Cool. Thanks. Sounds like some drops by receivers as well. I agree I do think Jensen will be great regardless of coaching

Curran had 2 bad drops of easy throws at important times in the first half. Don't recall many other true drops, just missed opportunities. Curran caught everything in the 2d half and made a great catch for a TD in the 2d half.

grizcountry420 said:
PlayerRep said:
fanofzoo said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Haslam should have extended the contract BEFORE the Cat-Griz game. Now he's in a hell of a mess because he made it appear the decision was contingent on the game's outcome, as if that was going to affect Stitt's (or the team's) performance.

Didn't UM go from 6-5 to 7-4? Assume that's the "sharp upward trend" that some posters have been talking about. Ya, we didn't beat the Cats again and probably won't make the playoffs again, but we beat UNC this year.

We may have won 7 games but non of those games were quality wins. Sure, you could say... well we beat NAU but in reality if Cookus didn't get ejected, we don't win that game. The opponents we did beat though had a combined record of....
26-50

I can't justify how some posters think that's an upward trend.

Same people that said Valpo was a good team after
people said it wasn't a sign Griz were good. Same that said the cats suck, QB is horrible (better efficiency rating than Jensen yesterday) and Griz will beat them since all is well on defense now.

Sure wish they would stand up now and admit they were WRONG

kemajic said:
griznhel said:
This bit of problems led me back to the tenure of Earl Solomonson. Cats had him at the helm to begin their downfall. It literally took 20 years to shake that monkey off their backs, if not more. How long you hold on to a coach(s) is in direct proportion to how long it will take to return to prominence. Hysell, Kramer, and Ash brought the Cats back, but not as fast or as complete as the boosters wanted. You can languish in mediocrity but it only extends the return. I don't know who to hire nor have any dog in the fight. All I have is 60+ years of information and experience. technically been a fan of the GRIZ since 69-70, and rooted for the cats till they got all pissy..... although 17 years can do that to a person.
Hysell didn't do anything; it was the Big Human who was the change agent. In more ways than one.
This is not true at all. Hysell took over a far worse team and actually had a better overall record than Kramer. Yes, he never beat the griz but there was at least one game that I can think of that the griz pulled of a miracle to win.

PlayerRep said:
kyle_sample said:
Paytonlives said:
kyle_sample said:
I actually wrote that

Sorry... thats how the website had it listed... my apologies.

Not your fault. It actually led to us seeing the mistake and correcting it

It's a terrific article, but I can't believe you can't remember your name when you do your byline. Ha.

It may have been an attempted coup.

PlayerRep said:
Ursus1 said:
PlayerRep said:
Paytonlives said:
Big picture vs. little picture.

The

Their streak is now two...and PR you are correct about MSU and unless changes occur at UM that streak could become significantly longer.

All the crap Stitt spewed about the last 365 days doing what was needed to get the team back to where it should be was car salesman pitch, and so many bought into it they now see the lemon they own. Trust him again if he keeps a couple coaches? Shame on those that do...

In defense of Stitt, I thought UM did improve many of those things this season. Obviously, it wasn't enough. While I believe in results, especially by year 3, and don't believe losing to Cats and getting knocked out of playoffs is acceptable, not having Phillips this season hurt.

I think some of what looked as improvements were smoke and mirrors. From Kyle's article....

The sideline was flat. No energy, no will. That’s unacceptable,” a former player wrote in a message to Skyline Sports.

Even Murray noticed something was amiss with the Griz.

“Today we just had that bond,” said the Bobcats quarterback. “I honestly think Montana doesn’t have that type of bond and I think that’s been the difference the past two years.”

I'm as mad as anyone about losing two years in a row to the Cats, and not having playoffs as a thing to look forward to the last two years. With a better Defensive Coordinator, this team would have only 1 or 2 losses. On the other hand, if we beat the Cats, and were 6-5 to end the year, all the people saying the Cats loss is unacceptable, would instead be saying "6-5 is unacceptable, regardless of beating the Cats". If Stitt gets a new DC in place with some football smarts, and better situational awareness, this team will be great.

Jaymerz said:
I'm as mad as anyone about losing two years in a row to the Cats, and not having playoffs as a thing to look forward to the last two years. With a better Defensive Coordinator, this team would have only 1 or 2 losses. On the other hand, if we beat the Cats, and were 6-5 to end the year, all the people saying the Cats loss is unacceptable, would instead be saying "6-5 is unacceptable, regardless of beating the Cats". If Stitt gets a new DC in place with some football smarts, and better situational awareness, this team will be great.

Once he signs his extension (2 years as mentioned here) I don't see the egomaniac changing defensive coordinator. Stitt is going to happen for 2 more years and likely the "streak" will be 4 before changes are made

PlayerRep said:
grizghost said:

And don't Cats currently have about double the amount of MT kids on their roster? I don't know about quality, but the Cats clearly have some MT player quality too.

for the last 18 out of 20 years he who had the most mt kids on the rooster won

The fact is that Stitt did better with someone else's recruits than he has his own. Enough is enough! There is simply no justification that passes the smell or sight test for offering this guy an extension!

If Stitt is gonna stick around, he needs to publicly acknowledge that he has been misguided in defensive scheme and overall culture. If Stitt can’t acknowledge that, and throws out some bullshit excuse about lack of focus or something like that, then he should be shown the door.

We were the weaker, softer team not just yesterday, but for probably about half the season and against every team worth half a shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaymerz said:
If Stitt gets a new DC in place with some football smarts, and better situational awareness, this team will be great.
How does that help our ability to score only two TD's against MSU teams with losing records, two years in a row? That is supposed to win? Our problems are far deeper than DC.

kemajic said:
Jaymerz said:
If Stitt gets a new DC in place with some football smarts, and better situational awareness, this team will be great.
How does that help our ability to score only two TD's against MSU teams with losing records, two years in a row? That is supposed to win? Our problems are far deeper than DC.

Stop, before you get to the point where you have to discuss talent. Because we have it to burn.

If I had been Haslam, after the game, I would have worked all night trying to lobby the playoff selection committee to let the Griz into the playoffs. That would soften the blow, if the Griz sneaked in.

kemajic said:
AllWeatherFan said:
fanofzoo said:
AllWeatherFan said:

I'll take 7-4 over 5-6 any day of the week, and twice on Sunday. :)
Ask any MSU fan, player or coach whether they would like to change positions with us.

As a Cat fan, no I would not want to change positions with the Griz. We had the same in conference record and we had a more challenging schedule out of conference. Against teams with winning records or ranked, we were in every game down to the wire. I liked the way the Cats never gave up. They made great strides this year. It's not easy for a new Coach to change a culture. If the Griz had played SDST, Kennesaw and NAU with Cookus the whole game they would have lost big time. I don't think the Griz played that well against teams with losing records except for No Co. I also like the Cat coaching staff over the Griz. They outcoached the Griz now two years in a row. Trade places-no way!

Back