• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Zac Crews Update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AZGrizFan said:
Carpe Diem Griz said:
I was able to speak with my son just before practice today. It’s tough. He said most on the team are past it and really don’t care, but there are 2 or 3 that were fairly vocal about him not playing for the Griz program. This was just before the start of the current signing period. As a player, he felt he should come play and know he is going to take some hard shots on the field. His exact words were, “then everybody can move the [#]f### on.”

Your son is wise beyond his years. :thumb: :thumb:

Yes. Just STFU and let this play out for cripes sake!!!!

I'll take U.S. Constitution for $2,000, Alex...
And we have the Daily Double. How much would you like to wager?
Lets make it a true Daily Double, Alex.
Q: "Which Amendment guarantees freedom of speech?

A: None of them, Alex. The Constitution is as dead as you are, bucko.

3-7-77 said:

I don't think you have a firm grasp of the first amendment......or the format of Jeopardy.

Anyone want a civil liberties lecture?

.... looks around the room....

Okay. No objections noted....

....Dons Jacket, takes fake pipe out of dresser....

To be abundantly clear, all of the Bill of Rights are protections from government incursion on those rights, most notably political speech and is not a carte blanche protection for citizens to do whatever they want. There isn't single piece of legal case law that gives citizens 100% freedom to do whatever they want to do. Not a single amendment is unabridged.

That is public and private. There are consequences or sanctions that can be meted out that hold people accountable for actions that are clearly in the best interest for safety, security and order. Both in time and in place. That determination isn't up to the person engaging in the freedom but the the person, group or entity receiving the impact of that person use of that freedom. We can have standards for behavior that significantly limit our personal rights that we are able to use with little infringement in the safety of our homes. Ask teachers or any other public service professional about professional standards clauses.

Some are pretty damn logical in regards to limitations. You can't murder and you can't steal. But that goes beyond the violation of a person's personal security. There are consequences for the words you use. In a time of war we call it sedition, and you can't say or write things in a public setting that are patently false about another person (slander or libel). They can get you fired and you can lose a scholarship.

This isn't a lesson that high school aged kid should learn the hard way but the consequences for making a statement that is in the public domain as his was, he was forced to learn those realities. Again as I noted before, he's been vastly more understanding about his role in the matter than some of those that are twenty or even thirty years older. I think he is going to learn, which is all that you can ask.

Harsh? Maybe. But entirely within the realm and power of football program, athletic department and University to sanction. Zac Crews understands this, but some obviously don't.

Grizfan-24 said:

To be abundantly clear, all of the Bill of Rights are protections from government incursion on those rights, most notably political speech and is not a carte blanche protection for citizens to do whatever they want. There isn't single piece of legal case law that gives citizens 100% freedom to do whatever they want to do. Not a single amendment is unabridged.

That is public and private. There are consequences or sanctions that can be meted out that hold people accountable for actions that are clearly in the best interest for safety, security and order. Both in time and in place. That determination isn't up to the person engaging in the freedom but the the person, group or entity receiving the impact of that person use of that freedom. We can have standards for behavior that significantly limit our personal rights that we are able to use with little infringement in the safety of our homes. Ask teachers or any other public service professional about professional standards clauses.

Some are pretty damn logical in regards to limitations. You can't murder and you can't steal. But that goes beyond the violation of a person's personal security. There are consequences for the words you use. In a time of war we call it sedition, and you can't say or write things in a public setting that are patently false about another person (slander or libel). They can get you fired and you can lose a scholarship.

This isn't a lesson that high school aged kid should learn the hard way but the consequences for making a statement that is in the public domain as his was, he was forced to learn those realities. Again as I noted before, he's been vastly more understanding about his role in the matter than some of those that are twenty or even thirty years older. I think he is going to learn, which is all that you can ask.

Harsh? Maybe. But entirely within the realm and power of football program, athletic department and University to sanction. Zac Crews understands this, but some obviously don't.

You think he is going to learn? I have never met the young man, but I do know people that know him. Let me explain what I know and not what you think. He made a huge mistake. He has apologized to the coaches. He apologized to the team. He apologized on Twitter and to the world. I understand he is very upset and fighting some ugly inner emotions. He has taken this on the chin very hard.

This isn’t constitutional law class. This is a high school senior that is simply trying to pay for his debt. He didn’t light a church on fire. He made a terrible joke.

As my son said yesterday and who is a current player, almost the entire team no longer cares. Just let him take some hard shots on the field and then everyone can move the “F” on!

If he decides to go somewhere else, then I wish him the best luck and hope this doesn’t follow him.

Carpe Diem Griz said:
Grizfan-24 said:

You think he is going to learn? I have never met the young man, but I do know people that know him. Let me explain what I know and not what you think. He made a huge mistake. He has apologized to the coaches. He apologized to the team. He apologized on Twitter and to the world. I understand he is very upset and fighting some ugly inner emotions. He has taken this on the chin very hard.

This isn’t constitutional law class. This is a high school senior that is simply trying to pay for his debt. He didn’t light a church on fire. He made a terrible joke.

As my son said yesterday and who is a current player, almost the entire team no longer cares. Just let him take some hard shots on the field and then everyone can move the “F” on!

If he decides to go somewhere else, then I wish him the best luck and hope this doesn’t follow him.
I recognize that this is not a Civic’s class. My long experience as a high school educator gets me tilting at ignorant windmills occasionally. I do agree that we likely should move on and whatever Decision the football program and Bobby makes we should probably except it and MoveOn. I don’t think kids should be defined by stupid Mistakes but I do believe at the same point there should be logical consequences.

I Am not even arguing that he should lose his scholarship or be booted from the football program. I more or less I am on a mission to civilize and rid the world Of ignorance.

Grizfan-24 said:
I more or less I am on a mission to civilize and rid the world Of ignorance.

That, my friend is an impossible task. Maybe start with something easier like plucking the moon from the sky or trying to jump over the sun.

alabamagrizzly said:
Grizfan-24 said:
I more or less I am on a mission to civilize and rid the world Of ignorance.

That, my friend is an impossible task. Maybe start with something easier like plucking the moon from the sky or trying to jump over the sun.

Please explain my wife to me.

wbtfg said:
3-7-77 said:

I don't think you have a firm grasp of the first amendment......or the format of Jeopardy.

😂 Reminds me of when Napoleon tells Uncle Rico to get off his property and Rico yells, “It’s a free country” thinking he’s made a great point.

CDAGRIZ said:
wbtfg said:

😂 Reminds me of when Napoleon tells Uncle Rico to get off his property and Rico yells, “It’s a free country” thinking he’s made a great point.

“Oh I’m sorry! I thought this was America!”

CDAGRIZ said:
wbtfg said:

Is that before or after I threw a steak at his head?

UncleRico said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I think after. :lol:

UncleRico said:
CDAGRIZ said:

POTY

Carpe Diem Griz said:
Grizfan-24 said:

You either take him back as an equal member of the team or you don’t. Taking him back on the condition he “take some hard shots on the field” isn’t a good course of action for, I hope, obvious reasons.

getgrizzy said:
Carpe Diem Griz said:

You either take him back as an equal member of the team or you don’t. Taking him back on the condition he “take some hard shots on the field” isn’t a good course of action for, I hope, obvious reasons.

Don't think anyone suggested that he wouldn't be an equal member of the team. The post you commented on didn't make the hard knocks a condition. Giving Crews size, I think he'll be dishing out more hard knocks than he gets. To me, this is no big deal all along, and I assumed Crews wouldn't join the Griz. Maybe with or without an initial scholarship. While everyone needs to be extra careful in certain areas now, from what I read, what Crews did was a big nothing, in my view.

mthoopsfan said:
getgrizzy said:

Don't think anyone suggested that he wouldn't be an equal member of the team. The post you commented on didn't make the hard knocks a condition. Giving Crews size, I think he'll be dishing out more hard knocks than he gets. To me, this is no big deal all along, and I assumed Crews wouldn't join the Griz. Maybe with or without an initial scholarship. While everyone needs to be extra careful in certain areas now, from what I read, what Crews did was a big nothing, in my view.

So I missed the crews post that got him in trouble but from what I understand and correct if I’m wrong, wasn’t it something about shooting black people w/ a gun he bought? Along with using the n word? If it’s nothing, then I must be completely off base on this.

alabamagrizzly said:
mthoopsfan said:

So I missed the crews post that got him in trouble but from what I understand and correct if I’m wrong, wasn’t it something about shooting black people w/ a gun he bought? Along with using the n word? If it’s nothing, then I must be completely off base on this.

He used the N word in an old tweet, and coupled it with a black face emoji and gun emoji. It was definitely not “nothing”. He was tweeting it to his buddy and thought he was being funny. Obviously he has since realized it was not funny at all. Will be interesting to see if team agrees to have him be a part.

HookedonGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

He used the N word in an old tweet, and coupled it with a black face emoji and gun emoji. It was definitely not “nothing”. He was tweeting it to his buddy and thought he was being funny. Obviously he has since realized it was not funny at all. Will be interesting to see if team agrees to have him be a part.

Right.

My point is that no one should be taking shots at Crews as a condition of his being accepted to the team as the apparent dad of one of the players is claiming his son is saying. Murphy’s Law - he’ll end up with an injury and here comes a scandal.

So, either everyone on the team is okay with it or he should look elsewhere. I have no idea where.

getgrizzy said:
HookedonGriz said:

Right.

My point is that no one should be taking shots at Crews as a condition of his being accepted to the team as the apparent dad of one of the players is claiming his son is saying. Murphy’s Law - he’ll end up with an injury and here comes a scandal.

So, either everyone on the team is okay with it or he should look elsewhere. I have no idea where.

I am not sure if you truly understand what was said or how this works. Almost everyone here is in agreement, this was a big mistake. How he handled it is not for me to judge, but I know he made a lot of calls and took some serious a$$ chewing. Let me be clear though, this is college football. If you don’t think he will be taking shots as a way to earn some respect back…well, I am not sure what you think this is we are talking about here. This is how these things are handled sometimes. The players have their own way of taking care of things and administering their own form of justice. No one is going to get hurt. This isn’t a gang initiation. This is a kid that is going to take some shots, everyone will make up in the locker room, and then it’s over.

HookedonGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Wasn't it in a Venmo to a friend, not a tweet? Big difference, in my view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back