• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Your Sports Credentials?

GrizMania said:
kemajic said:
Easy pickins for my MoPar.

My dad's Mopar was a 68 Charger :)

‘69 Lemans here with a 3-speed on the floor. My brother drove a ‘69 Charger, stroked and bored and blueprinted by my brother in law before he later sold it to my brother. Black, with black/green tuck and roll velour interior. Bad ASS vehicle. I was tooling down 93 headed to Florence in my Lemans, maxed out at 120 and my brother in law pulls up behind me in the Charger, pulls out to pass, THEN shifts to 4th gear and takes off like a rocket. Fastest I’ve ever been in a vehicle in my life was 155 in that Charger. Both me and the driver (my brother) drunk as a skunk. It’s a freaking miracle we’re all still here.

Now I have a ‘69 convertible GTO in Griz colors. Mid-life crisis and all…

AZGrizFan said:
GrizMania said:
My dad's Mopar was a 68 Charger :)

‘69 Lemans here with a 3-speed on the floor. My brother drove a ‘69 Charger, stroked and bored and blueprinted by my brother in law before he later sold it to my brother. Black, with black/green tuck and roll velour interior. Bad ASS vehicle. I was tooling down 93 headed to Florence in my Lemans, maxed out at 120 and my brother in law pulls up behind me in the Charger, pulls out to pass, THEN shifts to 4th gear and takes off like a rocket. Fastest I’ve ever been in a vehicle in my life was 155 in that Charger. Both me and the driver (my brother) drunk as a skunk. It’s a freaking miracle we’re all still here.

My best buddy had a maroon '66 GTO ragtop, 4 spd. Pretty car, one of the first to view my MoPar taillights. We took on a few sunburns in that car.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:

My best buddy had a maroon '66 GTO ragtop, 4 spd. Pretty car, one of the first to view my MoPar taillights. We took on a few sunburns in that car.

Love the ‘66 and ‘67…especially with the Tri-power carbs…although I understand those were an absolute bitch to keep tuned…

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Love the ‘66 and ‘67…especially with the Tri-power carbs…although I understand those were an absolute bitch to keep tuned…

65 completely restored royal maroon (wine burgundy) mustang here…..actually a true 64.5. AZ I remember you sharing a pic of that GTO. Beautiful ride. Nothing beats a cool old car.

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

65 completely restored royal maroon (wine burgundy) mustang here…..actually a true 64.5. AZ I remember you sharing a pic of that GTO. Beautiful ride. Nothing beats a cool old car.

REALLY contemplating gutting my GTO and going with all new engine/EFI etc. Keeping that bitch running is a full time job for someone. And it’s not me. :lol: Same with the ‘79 Freewheeling Bronco that takes up the OTHER side of the garage. Maybe just do a coyote swap on that bad boy. :thumb:

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:

REALLY contemplating gutting my GTO and going with all new engine/EFI etc. Keeping that bitch running is a full time job for someone. And it’s not me. :lol: Same with the ‘79 Freewheeling Bronco that takes up the OTHER side of the garage. Maybe just do a coyote swap on that bad boy. :thumb:

I’ve heard the coyote swap to any bronco is an awesome move. What kind of motor would you throw into the GTO? You are right these old rides can be a little finicky.

Since we're talking cars in this thread now . . .
The company I previously worked for had an employee who was Rick James' bass player when he went on tour in the 80s. Really cool old school funkadelic type dude. I got along well with him, and we would go out to lunch at Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles in Long Beach a few times per year. One day he pulled up in a completely restored 1967-ish Ford Galaxie convertible. I think it had a 427, but not sure. Sky blue with white leather. He had been working on it for about six years, apparently. When he started it up and we took off down Ocean Blvd, I asked him what kind of mileage it made. He turned to me and said, "It ain't about the mileage, man." in probably the coolest sentence I've ever heard anyone say.

CDAGRIZ said:
The company I previously worked for had an employee who was Rick James' bass player when he went on tour in the 80s. Really cool old school funkadelic type dude. I got along well with him, and we would go out to lunch at Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles in Long Beach a few times per year. One day he pulled up in a completely restored 1967-ish Ford Galaxie convertible. I think it had a 427, but not sure. Sky blue with white leather. He had been working on it for about six years, apparently. When he started it up and we took off down Ocean Blvd, I asked him what kind of mileage it made. He turned to me and said, "It ain't about the mileage, man." in probably the coolest sentence I've ever heard anyone say.

Hell yea, damn near poetic.

I’ve also heard classic car guys with big motors say “it’s about smiles per gallon”

Ok, I'll play this credential game, being that I have always ben mediocre, 2nd string in most things. When I was about 10, in Missoula, Blaine "Butch" Hendricks would play catch with me. He was a MCHS standout and a 4 sport letterman for the Griz about 60-61 in Football, Basketball, Track, and Baseball. A retired full bird colonel, living in Florida, and I am still in touch. He was my idol as a kid....still much respect. I pitched and played 1st base in Little League, and won a city title on the old Timberjack field on South and Higgins against a left handed side arm pitcher who went on to play in the pros. I was probably about 12. That's another story. In high school in Missoula, I was a second stringer in football as a 140lb guard and end. Fourth quarter player, but proud to be on that '64 grand slam team at MCHS. Mediocre again in wrestling for Jug Beck, win some, lose a few. But, when going to U of M (MSU then), I knew I wouldn't be playing football, but for some reason the wrestling coach caught me going for the easy A in PE wrestling class, and asked me to come challenge at 145 lbs., so found myself wrestling for the Griz for a couple of years before doing some Army time. I will credit having Jug Beck as my high school coach to being able to be good enough. As a reminder, college wrestling at the U was a minor sport, one just did it for the love of the sport and 9 minutes! No sense in boring you with more of that, but my sons played football in Great Falls for coach Jack Johnson, 2 starters, and one played in college and now coaching high school AA ball. So, that makes me what I would consider somewhat credentialed, in football, and I certainly stay away from technical subjects put out by some of you with better cred. Finally, I won't even mention my prowess in golf and pickle ball. Thanks!

HookedonGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I’ve also heard classic car guys with big motors say “it’s about smiles per gallon”
In about '70 I was headed from Tempe to Sun Valley. After heading north from Vegas on 93 at about 2AM, came the sign "Next Service 145 miles." I just about had to change underwear, because I wasn't sure my MoPar and its 3.91 gears had that kind of range. I just turned up Wolfman Jack and went into denial. Made it on fumes.

kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:

In about '70 I was headed from Tempe to Sun Valley. After heading north from Vegas on 93 at about 2AM, came the sign "Next Service 145 miles." I just about had to change underwear, because I wasn't sure my MoPar and its 3.91 gears had that kind of range. I just turned up Wolfman Jack and went into denial. Made it on fumes.

Nice! Full-circle, my Tesla-owning buddies all have similar stories nowadays, minus the soundtrack.

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

I’ve heard the coyote swap to any bronco is an awesome move. What kind of motor would you throw into the GTO? You are right these old rides can be a little finicky.

Yeah, except it’s about a $15,000-$20,000 endeavor. So I gotta KNOW I’m gonna keep it first.

Not sure about the GTO, honestly.

CDAGRIZ said:

He was just L-I-V-I-N. :lol: :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Absolutely. I don't think he had a moment of stress in his entire life. Only dude ever to pull off the "fedora with bowling shirt" look. I once asked him if hanging with Rick James was as crazy as they made it look on Chappelle's Show. He didn't even look up when he said, "Crazier, son." Dude had definitely seen some shit.

CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:

Absolutely. I don't think he had a moment of stress in his entire life. Only dude ever to pull off the "fedora with bowling shirt" look. I once asked him if hanging with Rick James was as crazy as they made it look on Chappelle's Show. He didn't even look up when he said, "Crazier, son." Dude had definitely seen some shit.

I don’t know, but now i want some damned chicken and waffles! :D

No cars, just a 1963 Schwinn Speedster I found on my wife's Grandpa's farm that I restored.

Back