• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Your Sports Credentials?

PhxGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Hard to figure which way the stolen valor runs here. You were first, his username has ostensible dibs, but you’re a veteran. My brain is pretzeled.

I vote for AZ. If you've ever met him, he's an Adonis. Totally could throw a football or that punk Rico over a mountain.

Oh stop it… :cool:

Mousegriz said:
mthoopsfan said:
And what can you tell us about those posts?

The guy can't spell or write complete sentences.

Let's hear how you parlayed your sports career into being a benchwarmer in life. From losing to loser. Unable to make a substantive sports post on a sports board.

RoseyMustGo said:
PhxGriz said:
:thumb: Yes. Power High Pirates!

The Dutton boys kicked your asses

Man isn't that the truth...and Geraldine. Played back when Kevin and Darren Engellent were on the Geraldine team. Lost something like 80-30. How the fuck do you lose by 50 over 32 minutes?

On a side note, one of my favorite memories was when we were playing Dutton and we were laying body on Neal (?) Odem and after about 10 minutes of us putting cheap body shots on him he finally retaliated with a simple push and got called for the foul. :lol: Fouled out. Poor guy was clean as shit and totally got screwed by the 8C refs.

We never beat Dutton once when I was at Power...or Stanford...or Geraldine. Had 9 kids in my senior class and when I was a Sophomore, no senior boys. All girls. Was brutal. Don't ask me about losing to the Montana School for the Deaf and Blind in basketball. MSDB had two guys 5'11" who could dunk at the time.

mthoopsfan said:
Mousegriz said:
The guy can't spell or write complete sentences.

Let's hear how you parlayed your sports career into being a benchwarmer in life. From losing to loser. Unable to make a substantive sports post on a sports board.

You play pro sports hoops?

Bertram said:
Grew up playing soccer. High School varisity football coach pulled me aside after a JV soccer game (was playing JV as a Freshman), and convinced me ( 6' 4 260lbs ) that the gridiron would be a better chance at playing at the next level. Found the weight room and played just short of 300lbs by the end of senior year.
Offers from the Griz and Bobcats disapeared after my grades dropped my senior year. (still was offered PWO by the Cats by the Big Human), financially settled on the NAIA route with 3/4 scholarship offer from MSU Northern (Havre). Played college ball OL weighing in @ 315lbs. We were horrible. (program was dropped earlier and I came in the 2nd year of it being brought back). Beyond that I suck at photoshop and produce lame memes / graphics on here.

Nice!

From MT Indian Athletic Hall of Fame announcement:

"Highlighting Inductee Hoops from the Fort Peck Sioux nation! A stellar athlete in football, lacrosse, track and rugby where he played around the world throughout his career! Selected as one of the top 6 defensive backs in Dartmouth Greens history where he played from 1968 to 1971 with a combined record of 27-2! Graduated from Stanford law, J.D. in 1975 where he continues to serve Indian Country! Welcome to the Hall of Fame Hoops!"

I know I’m late to this party…

Played football (Guard on O and Nose on D) all the way through high school along with track (javelin, shot put, 100, and 4x100) and ski racing (favorite was slalom because I got to smash gates and I had quick feet). Was much too small to play ball in college and track never was serious (just organized training for me). Ski racing though… I ended up racing on the UM club team. Not a varsity sport but I got to race against all the Big Sky schools that had a team plus Carroll and Rocky as well. We even went to the regional competition and raced against Colorado, Oregon, Oregon State, UW, etc. It sounds fun (it was) but it was more like “my drinking team had a skiing problem.” Did that my freshman year then discovered I liked beer, bars, and girls more than I liked going 50 mph on a GS course. I know I’m not the first (nor last) casualty of that…

Was born in a log house in Illinois in the early 19th century, had a full neck beard at 10, started wearing stove pipe hats at 14 to keep people from focusing on my enormously large.....forehead... Also learned the dark art skills of Vampire defense and prevented a full scale invasion by Southern Vampires into the North....

That aside, grew up in Missoula. Really average football player, not big enough to play on the line nor quick enough to be a receiver. That was good enough to get some playing time on the only good Missoula high school team in the 90's but not great enough to get anything more than a TFL in the 1994 State Title game in Missoula in mop up time. I was absurdly tall as a middle schooler in Missoula and set a record for the number of missed shots in a Kiwanas Middle School game at half time of a Griz game in the 6 th grade. As people will tell you, including Jaxon Nap, it is vastly easier to be short and then grow then the other way around and I played a couple of years of basketball in high school and then moved onto the University of Montana to play some mean pickup games at noon in McGill against some of the best basketball players wearing full plastic body suits. My claim to fame during that era: Getting dunked on by Josh Lacheur (sp) in a pick up game. Also played baseball. Was good enough to play legion, and set an unofficial record for sitting the most consecutive innings (151 in a row) during the 1994 season where Missoula was one game away from the Legion World Series. I did strike out Lyle Overbay, Missoula Osprey RBI record holder in the regional contest against his Centralia Washington team in a LO game that year with a 75 side arm fastball from the Left side followed up with to 52 mph palm ball changes. Pretty sure he hadn't seen anything that slow since major boys.

Aside from that, played a lot of golf. I've been good enough to play in the low single digits, but anymore my only real goal in golf is not to pull a back muscle or end up with a bad case of plantar fasciitis if I don't wear orthotics in my shoes. Been coaching sport, in a rather pedestrian manner for close to 30 years now, and consistently reminded that I couldn't succeed at it even at the Class C level in Montana. I have opinions, so much so I have been known to blog extensively and engage in double speak and occasionally asked by people to talk about it. When I am not doing the above I am ranting on twitter.

Grizfan-24 said:
Was born in a log house in Illinois in the early 19th century, had a full neck beard at 10, started wearing stove pipe hats at 14 to keep people from focusing on my enormously large.....forehead... Also learned the dark art skills of Vampire defense and prevented a full scale invasion by Southern Vampires into the North....

That aside, grew up in Missoula. Really average football player, not big enough to play on the line nor quick enough to be a receiver. That was good enough to get some playing time on the only good Missoula high school team in the 90's but not great enough to get anything more than a TFL in the 1994 State Title game in Missoula in mop up time. I was absurdly tall as a middle schooler in Missoula and set a record for the number of missed shots in a Kiwanas Middle School game at half time of a Griz game in the 6 th grade. As people will tell you, including Jaxon Nap, it is vastly easier to be short and then grow then the other way around and I played a couple of years of basketball in high school and then moved onto the University of Montana to play some mean pickup games at noon in McGill against some of the best basketball players wearing full plastic body suits. My claim to fame during that era: Getting dunked on by Josh Lacheur (sp) in a pick up game. Also played baseball. Was good enough to play legion, and set an unofficial record for sitting the most consecutive innings (151 in a row) during the 1994 season where Missoula was one game away from the Legion World Series. I did strike out Lyle Overbay, Missoula Osprey RBI record holder in the regional contest against his Centralia Washington team in a LO game that year with a 75 side arm fastball from the Left side followed up with to 52 mph palm ball changes. Pretty sure he hadn't seen anything that slow since major boys.

Aside from that, played a lot of golf. I've been good enough to play in the low single digits, but anymore my only real goal in golf is not to pull a back muscle or end up with a bad case of plantar fasciitis if I don't wear orthotics in my shoes. Been coaching sport, in a rather pedestrian manner for close to 30 years now, and consistently reminded that I couldn't succeed at it even at the Class C level in Montana. I have opinions, so much so I have been known to blog extensively and engage in double speak and occasionally asked by people to talk about it. When I am not doing the above I am ranting on twitter.

That is a nice and funny post.

Started in little league and made the all-star game, I then moved on to youth soccer and slide-tackled everyone in sight which got me many red cards. I stopped playing sports up until my freshman year when I joined the freshman football team. I racked up a total of 1 assisted tackle and 1 dropped pass. I decided to stop while I was ahead and not return my sophomore year.

I’ve shared before here plenty of times. I grew up blocks off campus. As a kid I was always (at first) @ Dornblaser and then Wa Griz. On winter evenings 2-4 nights/week I’d be at Dahlberg - always watching the Griz. Back then a cheap GA ticket was better than getting a babysitter for my parents. I grew up closely following the Griz and naturally it helped seeing Griz hoops of the 80’s/90’s and the football team from effectively the Don Read era and on.

Oddly, I never played though. In middle school I picked up golf, and in high school I played for Hellgate once I got my drivers license so I could make it to practice. Was never good enough to steadily make varsity though so I never lettered. Tried out for basketball… didn’t get in. Never really did much else sports wise.

1993 my dad got me connected with Chris Walterskirchen to be the score runner. I’d sit in the press box next to him and he’d take calls and relay the score and some stats and then get scores from whoever he was on the phone with. I’d write down and deliver those scores to the PA announcer, the UM president, and Mick Holien. From there on out I was hooked and wanted to really be on the front line of Griz football info and discussion.

BWahlberg said:
I’ve shared before here plenty of times. I grew up blocks off campus. As a kid I was always (at first) @ Dornblaser and then Wa Griz. On winter evenings 2-4 nights/week I’d be at Dahlberg - always watching the Griz. Back then a cheap GA ticket was better than getting a babysitter for my parents. I grew up closely following the Griz and naturally it helped seeing Griz hoops of the 80’s/90’s and the football team from effectively the Don Read era and on.

Oddly, I never played though. In middle school I picked up golf, and in high school I played for Hellgate once I got my drivers license so I could make it to practice. Was never good enough to steadily make varsity though so I never lettered. Tried out for basketball… didn’t get in. Never really did much else sports wise.

1993 my dad got me connected with Chris Walterskirchen to be the score runner. I’d sit in the press box next to him and he’d take calls and relay the score and some stats and then get scores from whoever he was on the phone with. I’d write down and deliver those scores to the PA announcer, the UM president, and Mick Holien. From there on out I was hooked and wanted to really be on the front line of Griz football info and discussion.

So somehow, sparing on a nearly weekly basis with a representative of the "Paris of the Highline" and the future mayor doesn't enter into the resume? Hell, I would have thrown in having been in a text change with Schmidt. But that's just me.

I think it’s hilarious that exactly one poster doesn’t need to post his credentials here because he’s the only one that has already done that about a thousand times through the years.

poorgriz said:
I think it’s hilarious that exactly one poster doesn’t need to post his credentials here because he’s the only one that has already done that about a thousand times through the years.

Let's see your credentials. I assume yours don't exist. By the way, I posted mine. Did you miss that?

Born in Missoula. Graduated college in Butte. Spent most of my growing-up years in Butte and B.T. Played most of the regular sports growing up- baseball, football, basketball, track. Lettered in football, BB and track. Medaled in track. All state in BB. Played college BB.

Back