• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Yes The Griz Do …

Griz Addict said:
AZGrizFan said:
Griz barely squeak in, despite SHSU, JMU and Kennesaw State (three consistent playoff teams) all departing the division. As watered down as this division has become payoffs should be a given and instead we’re now on the edge of our seat at the end of each season. Great times.

There's only 3 good conferences in the FCS and the big sky is one of them. Besides in the MFVC and CAA, if the griz were in any other conference, they would probably go undefeated every year.

Also shows how flawed the playoff system is. UC Davis would beat most of the conference champions in most of the conferences lol. Yet they are sitting at home.. if PSU went to a weaker conference, they could easily be conf champions and be heading to the playoffs.

Griz Addict said:
Also shows how flawed the playoff system is. UC Davis would beat most of the conference champions in most of the conferences lol. Yet they are sitting at home.. if PSU went to a weaker conference, they could easily be conf champions and be heading to the playoffs.
Won't disagree on the "flawed," but at a total loss as to how it might be made better.

This year has one of the more egregious examples, IMO: Gardner-Webb (6-5) "wins" the auto-bid out of the six-team Big South, with a Sagarin SOS of 51.13 (#153). (FYI UC-Davis had a SOS of 54.6, #142). Granted, three of their losses were to FBS opponents, but they also got crushed (45-14) by Mercer.

Because of scheduling concerns, it won't happen ... But, it would be nice if we could have a kind of "play-in" weekend, where the weakest eight (twelve?) teams face off. The committee already has plenty of metrics to decide which are the weakest teams, so that should not be a problem. Again, timing is the issue here.

I like the FCS playoff system the way it is. Gets all of the conferences involved and a win gets them in. Seeds the top teams. Give them a week off.

Does the prior poster favor cutting out NCAA hoops bids to weak teams from weaker conferences? I sure don't. Tourneys and playoffs are way more than figuring out who will win the tourney and playoffs. Some people on egriz don't understand sport, and what it's for and what it's about. They have professional sport and SEC mentalities. Be Griz football is in FCS.

mthoopsfan said:
I like the FCS playoff system the way it is. Gets all of the conferences involved and a win gets them in. Seeds the top teams. Give them a week off.

Does the prior poster favor cutting out NCAA hoops bids to weak teams from weaker conferences? I sure don't. Tourneys and playoffs are way more than figuring out who will win the tourney and playoffs. Some people on egriz don't understand sport, and what it's for and what it's about. They have professional sport and SEC mentalities. Be Griz football is in FCS.
The system has always been about including all the conferences that play FCS football. That's fair (all these young men put in the same work) and politically smart for the NCAA. However, I would venture to guess (no easy way to do the data) that there's a bigger spread between the strongest and weakest conferences in FCS compared to FBS. That's why I'd like to see a "play-in" level to weed out the absolute bottom feeders (auto-bid or at-large). But the NCAA is not willing (cannot get buy-in?) to extend the season that way.

RE: Hoops. The only quibble I have with the "play-in game" approach for March Madness is when higher seeded teams are required to do it. Why should 11- or 12-seed teams have to do a play-in? That should be reserved for the total-wimp 16 seeds.

JMC said:
Davis still only had 6 wins!
Yep. Not sure why they keep coming up. With nine teams at (7-4), why would the committee dip down to the 6-win level? And, actually, there were a couple of (8-3) teams that have gotten no attention at all ... admittedly from super=weak conferences, but still ...

IdaGriz01 said:
JMC said:
Davis still only had 6 wins!
Yep. Not sure why they keep coming up. With nine teams at (7-4), why would the committee dip down to the 6-win level? And, actually, there were a couple of (8-3) teams that have gotten no attention at all ... admittedly from super=weak conferences, but still ...

Consider Florida A&M right now.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Consider Florida A&M right now.
Covered that. Impressive-looking record until you realize that only 17 teams played a weaker schedule.

Back