• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Xavier Game Thread

Opps, I did watch Beasley last night in the UCD/Cal replay. So my mistake. Substitute Whitney for Beasley.

CleanHOUSE said:
griznative24 said:
I'm starting to believe its a curse and the evidence is piling higher

Other teams can hit shots our guys would shoot 30% in a empty gym...also our D is overrated, we dont actually slow down good players...fundamentally sound yeah, but good players get theirs against us ez
Good players get theirs against everyone. That's why people know they are good.

bigsky33 said:
mtgrizrule said:
Solid game by the GRIZ. I think this team will come around.

Solid game when you lose by 30?

They played good, compared to the Duquesne game. The offense was improved. Problem was, Xavier played terrific. Did you watch the game?

mtgrizrule said:
bigsky33 said:
Solid game when you lose by 30?

They played good, compared to the Duquesne game. The offense was improved. Problem was, Xavier played terrific. Did you watch the game?

Don't bother rule, it's over his head. :lol: :lol:
Actually the stats were not that bad save TO's and hot shooting. Xavier has arguably been one of the top 25 programs in the last quarter century so while an L is an L this is more palatable than Duquesne. Really would like a more dynamic approach on O (I'm on board with everybody else).

Next week’s tournament should be better measure. Should beat Merrimack and Troy. St Thomas will be tougher. They hung with number 9 Creighton, and led at the 10 minute mark in 2nd half, before going 7 minutes with no score. Only loss by 12.

ordigger said:
Next week’s tournament should be better measure. Should beat Merrimack and Troy. St Thomas will be tougher. They hung with number 9 Creighton, and led at the 10 minute mark in 2nd half, before going 7 minutes with no score. Only loss by 12.

Let me get this straight. We are now concerned about being able to compete against the mighty powerhouse St. Thomas now? Has our BB program slipped that much?

RoseyMustGo said:
ordigger said:

Let me get this straight. We are now concerned about being able to compete against the mighty powerhouse St. Thomas now? Has our BB program slipped that much?
Uh, they hung with Creighton for longer than Creighton than than expected. Creighton is definitely a top 25 team. Sounds like a team capable of being competitive in Missoula. We shouldn't overlook any team.

Damned proud of our kids. They fought, they hustled, they competed. For all my criticisms of our offense, I've never complained about DeCuire's character, or the character of the kids he recruits. In life, character is destiny. This coaching staff and our kids have it. That will always be a badge of honor for anybody supporting this team.

As for our offense--a glimmer of hope: Our three-point shooting! But it was more than just a great percentage; we actually TOOK those shots, unlike a few years back when we lagged almost the entire NCAA in attempts. Wasn't it Gordie Howe who said you'll miss every shot you never take? By actually taking those shots, you not only give yourself a chance to make them, you increase your skill at making them. And where before our kids seemed tentative about taking them, they now seem to have the green light to move ahead into the era of the three-ball. That should give our kids more confidence, and confidence is what every great shooter always has.

Still, we had three shot-clock violations and way too many possessions that went down to the final seconds on the clock. This again is because this team doesn't THINK offense. Our kids always seem tight, like they're playing not to make mistakes. We pass up way too many looks early in possessions, looking for the extra pass, the better shot, only to wind up with a turnover or a desperation heave. Shoot the damned ball!

And could we have even ONE fast break? Again, this is "flow," this is improvisation, this is the magic that is the game of basketball. It's good to have a set, half-court offense, but sometimes ya just gotta abandon the structured offense and let 'er rip! Our kids seem afraid to do that. Like they can't make a mistake! Hell, as a fan, I'd be willing to put up with more mistakes if I saw more flow, more outlet passes, more, yes, improvisation. I don't know that I can describe it exactly but I know it when I see it, it is beautiful to watch, and I never see it with this offense.

Finally, one last small gripe. We cede the entire baseline to the other team when we play offense, enabling them to lock us down at the three-point line. Steph Curry gets a lot of his open looks by streaking along the baseline, using the opposing bigs almost as screeners, while he dashes to the opposite corner for an open look. That baseline should be a key part of your offense, leading to backdoor cuts, dump-offs to our bigs, and even screens that let a shooter get to the other corner for a trey.

But to end on a positive note: The character is there, and the three-point shooting seems to be coming along for the ride. And, oh, I would agree with many others here, could we see more of Jonathan Brown? This kid is electric. He reminds me of Tryone Maxie of the Sixers. Yes, he'll make mistakes, but let him make them! He'll pay you back, I promise.

Hoops watcher said:
mtgrizrule said:

Don't bother rule, it's over his head. :lol: :lol:
Actually the stats were not that bad save TO's and hot shooting. Xavier has arguably been one of the top 25 programs in the last quarter century so while an L is an L this is more palatable than Duquesne. Really would like a more dynamic approach on O (I'm on board with everybody else).
I'm also bored as everyone else - how bout we try something different like maybe a fast break offense! I know we don't have the right personnel - well let's get the right personnel then! :roll:

Back