• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Where will Graves be used?

krammer said:
he is the closest player we have to an Anderson type kid....i say line backer where he should be a star in a couple years.
I sure hope you and Brint are kidding or wrong. Graves had two carries for three yards vs MSU this year. 7 for 18 with a long of 10 for the year. He didn’t record a tackle. Anderson has 10 carries for 64 and two tds in 2017; 23 for 107 and three tds in 2018. Anderson had a sack last year and the year before despite barely playing defense. If Graves is the closest thing we have to him then we’re in a world of hurt.

Who cares if the Griz have a multi-purpose and position player? I'd much rather have a real qb and one that can pass at qb. I see no reason for a Griz qb to play multiple positions. Graves is a good athlete. He isn't going to be the starting qb. I can't imagine he will be the starting running back. Has he even played any defense at UM? I'm all for discussing where Graves will play.

PlayerRep said:
Who cares if the Griz have a multi-purpose and position player? I'd much rather have a real qb and one that can pass at qb. I see no reason for a Griz qb to play multiple positions. Graves is a good athlete. He isn't going to be the starting qb. I can't imagine he will be the starting running back. Has he even played any defense at UM? I'm all for discussing where Graves will play.
To me, his best position long term would be a big slot receiver in offenses like Stitt runs. Not sure where he would fit in Rosie’s offense.

getgrizzy said:
krammer said:
he is the closest player we have to an Anderson type kid....i say line backer where he should be a star in a couple years.
I sure hope you and Brint are kidding or wrong. Graves had two carries for three yards vs MSU this year. 7 for 18 with a long of 10 for the year. He didn’t record a tackle. Anderson has 10 carries for 64 and two tds in 2017; 23 for 107 and three tds in 2018. Anderson had a sack last year and the year before despite barely playing defense. If Graves is the closest thing we have to him then we’re in a world of hurt.
“We”? Do the Bobcats have a kid named “Graves” too? Did his lil bro go to lil bro U?

I'm betting we see him rise to a starter somewhere on this team by the end of season. Not exactly sure where, as he seem pretty versatile, but not really honed at QB. Could be QB, could be RB or receiver. Might even end up on D, but from what I've seen from watching a few practices and his high school film as well as a few games in person, the coaches will find the right spot for him somewhere. Just don't let him rot on the bench if he's not a QB.

PlayerRep said:

Good points. I think the coaches are still trying to figure out where to put him. Unfortunately his best positions are loaded.

I am intrigued by the thought of having a good starting running back next to Sneed that could legitimetly run a wildcat...

Toff said:
I am intrigued by the thought of having a good starting running back next to Sneed that could legitimetly run a wildcat...

The good running back is no. 21, the JC transfer. I think he will be terrific. Hits the hole hard. Seems to run downhill. Fast. All the observers are impressed with him.

PlayerRep said:
Toff said:

The good running back is no. 21, the JC transfer. I think he will be terrific. Hits the hole hard. Seems to run downhill. Fast. All the observers are impressed with him.

Glad to hear

I liked 21 and also liked 32(?) Drew Turner. He seems to make quick cuts, has the good feet, and is a horse.

This is the GoGriz bio for 21 Marcu Knight:
2018 (at Citrus): First team all-state RB for California Junior Colleges … First team all-conference … Helped Citrus College advance to the Western States Bowl … Led team in rushing yards, yards per carry, and yards after contact … Rushed for 912 yards on 130 carries at Citrus, averaging 82.9 yards per game and seven yards-per-carry with eight touchdowns … Played in 11 games for the Owls, breaking the 100-yard mark three times with a career-high of 184 yards and three TDs against Mt. San Jacinto.

High School: A three-time letterman … First team all-CIF running back … Orange County are all-star … First team all-league … Team offensive MVP … Team captain … As a senior rushed 146 times for 1240 yards and 17 touchdowns … Caught 46 passes for 608 yards and three touchdowns … Posted 2056 all-purpose yards and 22 total touchdowns, averaging 158.2 yards per game … Led team to a league championship and to the CIF semifinal … An all-league performer in track as a sprinter as a junior and senior … CIF semifinalist in the 100M … CIF finalist in the 4x100 … Also participated in the 200M and long jump … Track Athlete of the Year in 2018 for SMES … Also a division one prospect in lacrosse

Personal: A National Football Foundation Scholar Athlete … Carries a 4.0 GPA

PlayerRep said:
Toff said:

Agreed, I'm very surprised he didn't have a lot of opportunities when we offered him. I think he's going to be a very good back.

PlayerRep said:
Toff said:

I would say Eastwood could still be a very explosive running back as well. He flashed signs of high talent, hes still just young.

717s7e said:
2018 (at Citrus): First team all-state RB for California Junior Colleges … First team all-conference … Helped Citrus College advance to the Western States Bowl … Led team in rushing yards, yards per carry, and yards after contact … Rushed for 912 yards on 130 carries at Citrus, averaging 82.9 yards per game and seven yards-per-carry with eight touchdowns … Played in 11 games for the Owls, breaking the 100-yard mark three times with a career-high of 184 yards and three TDs against Mt. San Jacinto.

And 4 fumbles. Lost all 4.

https://www.citrusowls.com/sports/fball/2018-19/bios/knight_marcus_j4fa

DuCharme said:
717s7e said:

I know he's had a fumble in practice, and in a scrimmage, but I haven't seen him fumble in practice. My guess is that the coaches are making sure he doesn't fumble, or fumble much. This kid is a player. Griz fans are going to like him. Anyone want to make a bet with me on this kid?

DuCharme said:
717s7e said:

Has he found his way to the "M" yet ?

DuCharme said:
717s7e said:

130 carries at 7+ YPC and 4 fumbles? I’ll take it.

Lots of discussion about this after Spring Scrimmage. So far, including high school, Graves has a grand total of 21 starts as a QB. (I read that somewhere). Clearly not competing with Sneed, so why not keep him as a QB and use him in a variety of ways...rb, wildcat etc. And let him develop. Maybe he makes it. maybe he doesn't, but I don't think he has a fraction of the qb coaching that any of the other Griz qb's do. I doubt any class B high school is going to have legit qb coaching. The scrimmage also didn't let the qb's show mobility etc. Graves seems to be much better when able to move and run. Harris made some nice throws, but I have to wonder why he doesn't get the reps. I'm told at practice he gets very few as well.

Back