• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

WE'RE IN FOR A LONG SEASON WITH A PATHETIC COACH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greenacres - I went back through your past posts, including last season. You haven't said anything positive about the Griz yet. While I won't defend the Griz' performance in the 2nd half (players or coaches), I will support our team. If you don't want to support them, fine. But don't waste our time with your rants either.

loyalgriz, I hope you are right on the money. If we win respectfully, and more importantly, play to our capabilities, I will be the first one to say that that one half of a game was a fluke. But what I am talking about is this. New system, fine, get it working, others have new systems to (EKU) and they are moving forward. Running game isn't working, why? It did last year with the same bunch. Predicatablity, I can now start calling the plays. No, I am not a coach, merely a fan that knows a little about football. Do I expect a lot, absolutely. This is not a high school team and we can all feel good about our young boys participating. Hogan hired a first year coach into one of the top programs in the country with nearly the whole team back. Do I expect alot, you better believe it. Does that make me less loyal, I think not. The glory is great but so are the expectations. Get it together Bobby and I will congratulate you and call it a learning experience. Unfortunatly, in Div IAA you don't have the luxury of a learning experience. If we could play to an 8-4 season and get selected to a bowl game that nobody cares about, then this loss would be okay. But we don't, one loss ruins seasons and we just gave away the easy one. NO disrespect to NDSU intended, they kicked our butt the second half. But with what we have coming, that game should have been won.

Loyal, I sure hope you are right. I still can't wait for the next game. Love to watch the Griz, even if it hurts. There is plenty of blame to go around for that loss. And because we beat Maine, and the D played pretty well in the second half, I do have hope. I saw a couple of good drives for the Griz in both games, and that gives me hope.
But, we have yet to play a passing team. I'm looking at the numbers some of our fellow BSC teams are putting up against teams, and I'm not feeling real optimistic.
I will say this, coaching staffs vary. It doesn't seem the this staff's system is being grasped. I hope that is all it is, or at least the part that is making us look so mediocre.

One thing I better not see is an empty seat in the stands this year. Maybe we'll weed out the fair weather fans so the real fans who haven't been able to get tickets can step in.

Go Griz.

Let's straighten this "fair-weather" issue out. I know as well as anyone that you're not fair-weather just for criticizing the team. I'll be criticizing them too if they make a habit out of losing with all the great talent we have. The problem I'm seeing a lot of right now is that people have no patience for the Griz, and those that don't should be ashamed. There's been a lot of shit flying around with this attitude that Hauck is the worst coach we've ever had when he's only coached two games, or how our players suck even though they've proven to us before that they don't. Everyone's best medicine right now would be to just calm down.

I am not making a determination either way on this coaching staff right now. I don't think it would be wise to good or bad things about them after two games. Probably half way into the season, we may be able to see some patterns, hopefully they won't be disturbing ones. One half does not make a pattern. I think a reasonabl etime frame to start developing an opinion regarding this coaching staff would be by WEber State.

And I agree, we should never lose to NDSU, no matter how good they are. I don't think anybody disputes that. San Diego St. should not come close to Ohio State either, but s--t happens. It was regrettable and a good coaching staff will make adjustments going forward. Also, let's not take all the blame from the players, they were not motivated. And in my opinion, most motivation lies from within. If you ahve to rely on a coach, then you are already behind.

And my definition of loyalty, means supporting the team through thick and thin, not only after a win.

Sam Houston, we have a problem, best sign I've ever seen at Wash Griz. Let's hope so.

Don't worry. I'll keep buying my season tickets. I always have...rain or shine. But lets face it. This was the worst loss in team history. Number what 3 IN THE NATION? Our HOME opener? Any loss this year would have been better than this one. This is major humiliation. I hope they come back with a vengence and win a title. That will be the only way that they will be able to justify this loss as a "flook". They owe it to themselves and they owe it to the best fans in the Nation.

Now quit jerkin around and lets start kickin some ASS!

I agree with your last sentence, if you leave out the fan part. They don't owe us anything. They owe themselves some redemption, that is it.

GoodGodGriz said:
I agree with your last sentence, if you leave out the fan part. They don't owe us anything. They owe themselves some redemption, that is it.

Wrongo! No fans , no team. Ask the schools out west. Fans stop going to games, school drops football. That's life, the fans are as much a part of the program as the team.

I would disagree that the NDSU loss was the worst one of all. WHile losing to a dII team is deplorable, i would say the worst loss was the loss to the cats last year. We lost a ton on that afternoon and gave the cats a ton. At the end of 2003 i would doubt that this loss to NDSU plays that significant of a role.

Jimus said:
Isn't it amazing how you can never be wrong with hindsight? Does anyone recall back in 1995 when the National Championship was left up to a soccer player? How did that turn out again?
Let me ask you this, .........do you have a higher percent chance of gaining an inch on 4th down or kicking a field goal with the game on the line from 40 yards away with a kicker from Spokane that was passed up by Idaho, Whitworth and Eastern Washington?? If I recall in 95. we didn't have any other choice than to kick the field goal. Your right, hind site is always 20/20 but I would rather give the kid a chip shot field goal than to make him kick from 40 with the game on the line.

With about 40 seconds to go, it's unlikely they would have been able to convert the down, then get close enough for a chip shot. Even if they went for the first down and got it, it would only be a slightly shorter attempt, and that's not the kind of thing you gamble on.

Your right, hind site is always 20/20 but I would rather give the kid a chip shot field goal than to make him kick from 40 with the game on the line.

The difference is not just a chip shot vs a 40yarder with the game on the line. First of all, no matter where the kick came from, the game would be on the line, so drop that. You should simply ask yourself, what are the odds of a successful kick from the 40 vs the odds for a successful kick from a shorter distance with some other contigencies. The first being a successful 4th down conversion. Considering that the Griz were 10/21 on fourth down conversions last year, your odds of even getting a chance at a shorter kick is less than 50%. Also , you would have to factor in the possibility for turnovers, loss of yardage on succesive plays (sack?), risk of penalties, etc.

Unless the odds of making, say a 30 yarder is 70-80% higher than making a 40 yarder, then I would opt for the longer kick.

It would seem to me that the coach made the correct decision, or at the very least did not make a bad statistical decision (the statistics being decisively against him). Plus, he made the decision on the spot as opposed to having the luxury of time. IMO

What shook my confidence is that coach Hauck had so little confidence in our line that he was afraid to go for a 4th and 2 inches. I know there is always the chance for a fumble. But what are the odds of a fumble? And what are the odds of NOT making a 4th and 2 inches? Of all the 4h and 2 inches I've ever watched in my entire life watching and playing football, I'll bet the odds is over 90% you make it. What are the odds you fumble? 1%?

Then what are the odds Snyder misses a 40 yarder? 50%, that's his average over 40 yards isn't it?

Who knows what was the right thing to do. The coaches thought it was the best shot and we have to go with their decision.

I felt, and I'm sure 99% of all Griz fans felt Snyder never should have been put in that position where he was the one to win or lose the game.

If it wasn't Snyder on the spot, then it would have been the O/Disney on the spot. Either way, someone is pressured to be the guy that the game rests on their shoulder.

Historically, Snyder has been a solid kicker. I would have made the same choice.

Ronbo - we had 1 time out left. IF we gained the 2 yards for the first down, we would have been 2 yards closer and then used our time out. Would that have been worth the risk of not making the first down and not even getting to try the field goal?

I think Bobby made the right call. We just missed the field goal. It has happened before in life, and it will happen again. Snyder may not be the best kicker in the history of Griz football, but he is certainly not the worst either.

Game time is fast approaching. Let's Go Griz!!!

Clock stops on a first down. There was over 40 seconds left. With one timeout left. We could have used 10 seconds max getting the first down. Clock stops. No timeout used. 30 seconds left and three plays to get closer.
Little 5 yard sideline passes. You see this done every Sunday.

But then oh yea, the way we are playing we probably wouldn't have got that 2 inches. So it was the right decision for a team playing like that. For a good team you go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back