• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

"Wentzing" (Otherwise known as deer in the Headlights )

PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:
Fascinated from a distance. As a historian and psychology teacher I've always understood that foundational myths are crucial to any understanding of the world.

Keeping in mind as some readers on here will know I'm a die hard Griz supporter and I've even got a piece of paper from the school saying I lived in Miller, Craig, and Duniway Halls;

a. NDSU are the best program in FCS history and it's not even close. They've won so much I can't remember if it's 8 from 9 or 7 from 8. It's unheard of. It'll be beaten one day, as all records will, but it's not a point of discussion.

b. Coach Hauck, who I think is great, hasn't closed the deal. It doesn't mean that he's not great, it's just a fact. And before I hear this or that; Grandpa John McLaren from the slums of Glasgow "If everything wasn't the way it was, it would all be different."

c. WGS and Montana Griz football is the best experience in NCAA football. For those of you who've lived your lives around that, feel blessed. There's nowhere on Earth that you'd rather be on a Saturday in the fall than Missoula, Montana.

d. Carson Wentz is a terrible NFL qb. He couldn't hit sand if he fell off a camel. He was given a great team, sucked so bad that a guy who can't start for the Bears, won a Superbowl with them. Then got the nod, won a total of less than one Superbowl and as now been replaced by a running back.

Are you saying that Wentz hasn't or can't get it done on the "main stage" and, as a result, he will only be known for that?

Statistically, he was a top 10 QB for the previous 3 seasons and is only 27 years old. He has a long career ahead of him.

Ryan Tannehill is a perfect example of how a career can be revitalized when getting out of a shitty situation.

Philly is toxic right now. Carson has been a problem there this year with his play being below his previous standard, but it is top to bottom a mess in Philly right now.

2011BisonAlumni said:
PlayerRep said:
Are you saying that Wentz hasn't or can't get it done on the "main stage" and, as a result, he will only be known for that?

Statistically, he was a top 10 QB for the previous 3 seasons and is only 27 years old. He has a long career ahead of him.

Ryan Tannehill is a perfect example of how a career can be revitalized when getting out of a shitty situation.

Philly is toxic right now. Carson has been a problem there this year with his play being below his previous standard, but it is top to bottom a mess in Philly right now.

I like Wentz, but he hasn't made it on the "main stage" and is still a "loser", according to what you post.

2011BisonAlumni said:
PlayerRep said:

In all honesty, I could see Wentz still having a decently long career, but probably as a serviceable backup. He looks very snakebitten, and I'm sure that's tough to overcome. I'm most interested in how the Eagles plan to deal with his contract. Do you think they'll just eat it and he will go the FA route once it's paid? I still think he has value, but not right now due to the price.

CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

In all honesty, I could see Wentz still having a decently long career, but probably as a serviceable backup. He looks very snakebitten, and I'm sure that's tough to overcome. I'm most interested in how the Eagles plan to deal with his contract. Do you think they'll just eat it and he will go the FA route once it's paid? I still think he has value, but not right now due to the price.

I think Doug Peterson is done in Philly before Carson.

But if that doesn’t happen, I think Indy makes a move for him.

PlayerRep said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

I like Wentz, but he hasn't made it on the "main stage" and is still a "loser", according to what you post.

The main stage I was referring to earlier was in reference to the FCS national championship game, where Bobby Hauck has not proven capable of being able to get it done. We know what Carson Wentz did there.

He’s 27. He’ll be fine.

As much as I hate to enter into any of these type discussions, I feel compelled to offer this:

https://www-pennlive-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.pennlive.com/philadelphiaeagles/2020/11/philadelphia-eagles-start-yet-another-offensive-line-combination-in-loss-at-new-york-giants.html?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&outputType=amp&usqp=mq331AQHKAFQArABIA%3D%3D#aoh=16077358969213&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pennlive.com%2Fphiladelphiaeagles%2F2020%2F11%2Fphiladelphia-eagles-start-yet-another-offensive-line-combination-in-loss-at-new-york-giants.html

The young man has taken a beating this year. Reminds me of a guy who got the holy hell beat out of him after winning the Heisman and went to the Raiders and did okay a few years ago. Now I know Plunkett may be beyond your recognition but I really like the guy. Tougher than hell and didn't quit.

All one has to do is go back in time and look at the Griz teams several years ago when they dominated the conference they're still in and add up the number of kids who had decent NFL careers. Seems to me they were predominately linemen. But all I ever did was coach, I never played beyond high school so what do I know...didn't play the game I guess...

And any doubt what will come out of the weight room when this Covid shit is over? Too lazy to look up Hauck's quote so I'll paraphrase that they'll just throw them in the weight room and see what come out. Most will not like that type of offensive dominance but us little guys love watching good line play.

2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Maybe Indy, but when? Do they even have that kind of room to clear on such a big gamble right now? I’d probably rather take that kind of shot on a rookie contract. Much less downside financially if it doesn’t work out.

CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Maybe Indy, but when? Do they even have that kind of room to clear on such a big gamble right now? I’d probably rather take that kind of shot on a rookie contract. Much less downside financially if it doesn’t work out.

Indy is paying $45M between Phillip Rivers and Jacoby Brissett this year. Both contracts expire at the end of this season. Replacing that situation ,with Carson’s contact, will save the Colts money.

Getting a 27 year old former MVP caliber QB is a no brainer if you are the Colts. Frank Reich is the coach and they have the best offensive line in football.

2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Indy is paying $45M between Phillip Rivers and Jacoby Brissett this year. Both contracts expire at the end of this season. Replacing that situation ,with Carson’s contact, will save the Colts money.

Getting a 27 year old former MVP caliber QB is a no brainer if you are the Colts. Frank Reich is the coach and they have the best offensive line in football.

No brainer? It’s a HUGE gamble to take that on. I’m not sure what a QB did (which, by that time, will be) four years prior matters much in the NFL. Especially given his injury history. I wish there was a way for him to stay on as a backup for the Eagles, because I think he might be good in a pinch, just not when he’s expected to be “the guy”.

Edit to say: I’ve heard by all accounts that Carson is a great guy with exceptional character. I’m sure he will land on his feet in whatever role. I’m simply commenting on the economics and lamenting the front office’s decision making.

CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

No brainer? It’s a HUGE gamble to take that on. I’m not sure what a QB did (which, by that time, will be) four years prior matters much in the NFL. Especially given his injury history. I wish there was a way for him to stay on as a backup for the Eagles, because I think he might be good in a pinch, just not when he’s expected to be “the guy”.

Edit to say: I’ve heard by all accounts that Carson is a great guy with exceptional character. I’m sure he will land on his feet in whatever role. I’m simply commenting on the economics and lamenting the front office’s decision making.

He is one season removed from an exceptional year where he set an Eagles franchise record for yards passing in a season and literally willed his team into the playoffs. His injuries, physically speaking, have nothing to do with this.

If I am the Colts and I have everything else right now and a QB who is nearly 40, I take the gamble. Especially when they have Frank Reich as the head coach.

2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:

His injuries, physically speaking, have nothing to do with this.

Uhhhh. I’m sorry, what?

CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
His injuries, physically speaking, have nothing to do with this.

Uhhhh. I’m sorry, what?

He was completely healthy and back to form last season and wasn’t hurt at all this year. Physically speaking, he isn’t showing any limitations.

2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Uhhhh. I’m sorry, what?

He was completely healthy and back to form last season and wasn’t hurt at all this year. Physically speaking, he isn’t showing any limitations.

Bud, this could be completely unrelated, and I sincerely hope it is, but he took a (cheap?) shot to the freakin brain stem in his first playoff game and hasn’t been the same since.

CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Bud, this could be completely unrelated, and I sincerely hope it is, but he took a (cheap?) shot to the freakin brain stem in his first playoff game and hasn’t been the same since.

Could be the issue yes. Valid point. Justin Morneau’s 2010 concision derailed a hall of fame career path.

Still would roll the dice with him if I was the Colts. They have the cap space to do it and simultaneously save money.

Realistically they are in a position where they are too good to get a high quality QB through the draft and have a 3 year window with this team before they’d have to blow a lot up anyways.

I think it is worth the gamble, but I’m a fan and not a GM. If I had to guess, Philly will end up trying to make it work one more year with Carson and Doug together.

2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Could be the issue yes. Valid point. Justin Morneau’s 2010 concision derailed a hall of fame career path.

Still would roll the dice with him if I was the Colts. They have the cap space to do it and simultaneously save money.

Realistically they are in a position where they are too good to get a high quality QB through the draft and have a 3 year window with this team before they’d have to blow a lot up anyways.

I think it is worth the gamble, but I’m a fan and not a GM. If I had to guess, Philly will end up trying to make it work one more year with Carson and Doug together.

Justin Morneau is Canadian and I learned last night from Cats Grad-UM Gradstu that all Canadians are pieces of shit and complete f#$ching A-hole losers, so that probably affected his career more than the concussion. :lol: I also learned that some of my American breathren are not super good at drinking. :roll:

SaskGriz said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Justin Morneau is Canadian and I learned last night from Cats Grad-UM Gradstu that all Canadians are pieces of shit and complete f#$ching A-hole losers, so that probably affected his career more than the concussion. :lol: I also learned that some of my American breathren are not super good at drinking. :roll:
I wouldn’t call him an American or a brother, he claims to have been a rotci nazi from state Ag who should be shunned and ignored. Hopefully, he’ll be hung over until Monday before we have to hear from him again. :clap:

SaskGriz said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

I skimmed over some of that last night. Wtf? Don’t care what anyone else says, but I enjoy reading your stuff, Sask, you shithead Canuck, you. ;)

Back