• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Weber melt down again?

signedbewildered said:
Well depending on how the rest of the season goes he may not be around to develop Bauman.

He thinks Andersen/Anderson is his best bet to assure him he has a job in Bozeman next year.

Bozeman has standards. A four win season isn't going to cut it. Coaches need at least five wins to keep their job over there.

Anderson/Andersen will be the savior.

Already has an extension. Not going anywhere....no one would hire him away so the are stuck for more years of mediocre teams

HookedonGriz said:
Man, for MSU to have a chance they needed multiple TOs and needed to turn them into points. Well they did that getting 17 out of their 24 points off Weber turnovers all on short fields. And yet they still found a way to lose by 10. They are way too one dimensional. The blind support for Choate is a huge headscrather. He is responsible for the offense and for playing a LB at QB. Every one and their mother can see that isn’t working and yet he won’t change it.

I have a different view. I think the Cats are having a pretty good season, despite have a bad qb station and so little offense. I view them as fighting hard in every game and sometimes finding a way to win. Coming within 10 of a top 10 team and the top team in the conference, on the road.

Don't know how some of you keep putting down the Cats and Choate. My guess is that most people in Cat nation are still believers in Choate.

Compare the Cat loss to Weber by 10 to the last 2 games of the Griz. I'd take the Cat loss to Weber over the Griz losses.

I still am hopeful for the Griz, but they need to be firing on all cylinders next weekend.

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
Man, for MSU to have a chance they needed multiple TOs and needed to turn them into points. Well they did that getting 17 out of their 24 points off Weber turnovers all on short fields. And yet they still found a way to lose by 10. They are way too one dimensional. The blind support for Choate is a huge headscrather. He is responsible for the offense and for playing a LB at QB. Every one and their mother can see that isn’t working and yet he won’t change it.

I have a different view. I think the Cats are having a pretty good season, despite have a bad qb station and so little offense. I view them as fighting hard in every game and sometimes finding a way to win. Coming within 10 of a top 10 team and the top team in the conference, on the road.

Don't know how some of you keep putting down the Cats and Choate. My guess is that most people in Cat nation are still believers in Choate.

Compare the Cat loss to Weber by 10 to the last 2 games of the Griz. I'd take the Cat loss to Weber over the Griz losses.

I still am hopeful for the Griz, but they need to be firing on all cylinders next weekend.

If Hauck is three years into his contract and he produced the same results as Choate - would you be equally as optimistic about the Griz! I for one would not be. Choate brought on NAIA coaching talent and it shows. Gregorak is the lone coach on the sidelines getting it done IMO. That offense is putrid and I feel bad for T Anderson. One hell of an athlete being missused. I pray to God BH produces better results on his third year.

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

It’s year 3 for that staff. I would hope for much better results by year 3. Here’s a crazy stat....Choate has only beat 2 teams with winning records in his 3 years....both the Griz.

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

While I get what you are saying. However, there is simply no good losses. A loss is a loss. The playoff committee doesn’t consider good losses. It just matters about number of wins and who you have beaten. Cats are in the same position we are in with 4 games left. Win out and likely get in. Lose one and better hope a bunch of other teams lose. Lose more than one and season is over.

HookedonGriz said:

There's definitely not blind support for Choate in Bobcat Country. Many of us, are hmmm.... perplexed maybe? I mean i get Troy is a once in a lifetime player, but Christ, he's not a QB and he's not our best option at QB.

Choate better grow some balls and play an actual QB. Our offense can't get any worse.

Copper Griz said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

If Hauck is three years into his contract and he produced the same results as Choate - would you be equally as optimistic about the Griz! I for one would not be. Choate brought on NAIA coaching talent and it shows. Gregorak is the lone coach on the sidelines getting it done IMO. That offense is putrid and I feel bad for T Anderson. One hell of an athlete being missused. I pray to God BH produces better results on his third year.

I don't and won't compare Choate to Hauck. Hauck has come into a much stronger program, with great tradition and he has been very successful here previously. Hauck will and will need to be winning more games that the Cats are the year, in year 3.

I don't agree with your NAIA level coaching talent. The Cats have good coaches. That's part of the reason the Cats beat the Griz the past 2 years.

In my view, the Cats' problems stem from not having Murry. Not having him has killed much of the offense, and not having offense has hurt the defense.

Look at the remaining schedules for the Cats and the Griz, and tell us which team is likely to have the best record going down the stretch.

dayday said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

While I get what you are saying. However, there is simply no good losses. A loss is a loss. The playoff committee doesn’t consider good losses. It just matters about number of wins and who you have beaten. Cats are in the same position we are in with 4 games left. Win out and likely get in. Lose one and better hope a bunch of other teams lose. Lose more than one and season is over.

I don't agree. There are definitely good losses, and some losses are worse than others. A 10 point loss to a top 10 team on the road is, of course, not a win, but it is not a "bad" loss. Compare a 14-point loss to UND. Are you saying the Cat loss to Weber is the same as the Griz loss to UND?

The playoff committee looks closely at strength of schedule including at good losses. At times, committee members have indicated that. They look at who the loss was to, and what the margin was. They don't just look at the number of wins. That's why MV teams with lots of losses still get selected sometimes.

I agree that both the Griz and Cats are in a big playoff hole.

PlayerRep said:
Copper Griz said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

I don't and won't compare Choate to Hauck. Hauck has come into a much stronger program, with great tradition and he has been very successful here previously. Hauck will and will need to be winning more games that the Cats are the year, in year 3.
Agree. Much stronger program historically. Hauck recruiting appears to be strong. I am confident he won’t have he same results - mainly because he brought on better coaches and he will get better QB’s. Ones that can run and pass.

I don't agree with your NAIA level coaching talent. The Cats have good coaches. That's part of the reason the Cats beat the Griz the past 2 years. I disagree. Mainly the Cats won because Semore was not up to par. The Bobcat offense is awful and they are literally a one trick pony. How do you not have more to choose from at QB? Even with Murray they were very one dimensional. Not good enough to win the BSC. I will also point out - some of their coaches were formerly NAIA coaches. It shows. If you can’t get better QB’s something is seriously wrong. Hauck at least has two serviceable QB’s and possibly three on year 1.

In my view, the Cats' problems stem from not having Murry. Not having him has killed much of the offense, and not having offense has hurt the defense. You are probably right - but Murray could not pass!! He was not the answer either. If beating the Griz was what they aspired to - then sure he got the job done.

Look at the remaining schedules for the Cats and the Griz, and tell us which team is likely to have the best record going down the stretch. Given it is the first year for a new coach, staff and QB - maybe the Cats on paper, but ISU should beat them. The toss up will be the Griz/Cat game. I am not counting the Griz out by any means. Next week will tell a lot about this team heading into the last four games. I am going to say the Griz end up with a better record. They had two weeks to prepare for the toughest game remaining on their schedule and they play the Cats at home.

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:
Hauck has come into a much stronger program.

I am not sure this is true....especially the "much" part.

My view is that the Cats haven't had a strong program for many decades. Even though they had some winning seasons, and made the playoffs a few times, I always felt they were doing that more with smoke and mirrors than because of a strong program. Kramer was a good coach, but not a great coach, and he always seemed to have other issues. Ash was such a weak personality. Couldn't inspire anyone, I was told (by Cat players).

The Cats did expand the stadium and built up its fan base again. They eventually started to beat the Griz on occasion, and have done better with that in recent years. Still, the Cats have not yet achieved a strong program, like the Griz were (and in some respects still are, but without the dominance) and have been since about 1990.

Again, just my view. I sure wouldn't trade the Griz program now for the Cat program. Would you?

I agree with PR. The Cats are not poorly coached, but they DO need a QB. And the Griz have also not yet (re)achieved a strong program, but they probably will before the Cats do. And RE: the NAIA level coaches comment, that's ridiculous. Why almost every MLB player was once a MINOR LEAGUER. Horrors. Besides, I heard Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Bill Bellichek declined the MSU job after their visits. Go figure.

I agree with PR. The Cats are not poorly coached, but they DO need a QB. And the Griz have also not yet (re)achieved a strong program, but they probably will before the Cats do. And RE: the NAIA level coaches comment, that's ridiculous. Why almost every MLB player was once a MINOR LEAGUER. Horrors. Besides, I heard Nick Saban, Urban Meyer and Bill Bellichek declined the MSU job after their visits. Go figure.

...take a linebacker and play him at quarterback...
...drafted has the best chance to play at tight end...
...not sure what level of coaching that best describes...

... :shock: ...

srgrizizen said:

Choate has been at the helm for three years. Three - and he does not have a QB who can throw the ball. Not one apparently and Murray couldn't throw it either. Bad recruiting, which ultimately means bad coaching.

Copper Griz said:
srgrizizen said:

Choate has been at the helm for three years. Three - and he does not have a QB who can throw the ball. Not one apparently and Murray couldn't throw it either. Bad recruiting, which ultimately means bad coaching.

But Murray was a good and improving qb. He certainly took it to the Griz 2 years, especially in 1 of them. QB is more than throwing.

Copper Griz said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

This times 1000, If Hauck was in his third year and had never had a winning season yet, had only beaten two teams with a winning record so far in his first three seasons, everyone over here would be crying for his head.

I think that the bobcats are a better team this year, but only on defense. I think that they have more athletes and stronger athletes than in the past. Their defense is good in my opinion, plays very hard and fast. Offensively, they haven't been good since Choate has taken over. I'm not sure why they have struggled so much on recruiting a quarterback. I don't understand what they are trying to do on offensive, what their goals are. Seems like their defense is ready to take the program to the next level, but offensively they are not even close.

PlayerRep said:
Copper Griz said:
srgrizizen said:

But Murray was a good and improving qb. He certainly took it to the Griz 2 years, especially in 1 of them. QB is more than throwing.

Murray could run and so can TA. No question and I won't argue that QB is more than throwing, but it is one half of the equation. Was he improving? Maybe, but that is conjecture since we did not see him this year. Don't forget they were a two headed monster with Anderson in the backfield and they still were not that good of a team. Top programs are not one dimensional. Don't get me wrong. I hope MSU keeps Choate around for a long time. If he did not beat the Griz last year I am not sure if his job would be secure. Beating the Griz the last two years is not a major accomplishment unfortunately. They were not a top tier program. Look at Hauck's teams when he was previously at Montana. They were balanced. NDSU - balanced. MSU is a middle of the pack BSC team. Maybe their fans are happy with that? I wouldn't be. I think the head coach is ultimately the one responsible for the W's and the L's. Stitt sure was and justifiably so. I find it odd that Choate was at Boise and Washington, yet he did not have the contacts or recruiting prowess to pull in a drop down QB or top recruit at QB. Now they are offered Jensen. (Good call IMO. I just don't see why he would take the offer). I made my points and I respect your opinion. The best move Choate made was hiring TG and finding a damn good kicker. I will give him that. I am just not impressed overall with his progress. Does not really matter. I care about the Griz. Off week and I am bored.

Copper Griz said:
PlayerRep said:
Copper Griz said:
srgrizizen said:

Murray could run and so can TA. No question and I won't argue that QB is more than throwing, but it is one half of the equation. Was he improving? Maybe, but that is conjecture since we did not see him this year. Don't forget they were a two headed monster with Anderson in the backfield and they still were not that good of a team. Top programs are not one dimensional. Don't get me wrong. I hope MSU keeps Choate around for a long time. If he did not beat the Griz last year I am not sure if his job would be secure. Beating the Griz the last two years is not a major accomplishment unfortunately. They were not a top tier program. Look at Hauck's teams when he was previously at Montana. They were balanced. NDSU - balanced. MSU is a middle of the pack BSC team. Maybe their fans are happy with that? I wouldn't be. I think the head coach is ultimately the one responsible for the W's and the L's. Stitt sure was and justifiably so. I find it odd that Choate was at Boise and Washington, yet he did not have the contacts or recruiting prowess to pull in a drop down QB or top recruit at QB. Now they are offered Jensen. (Good call IMO. I just don't see why he would take the offer). I made my points and I respect your opinion. The best move Choate made was hiring TG and finding a damn good kicker. I will give him that. I am just not impressed overall with his progress. Does not really matter. I care about the Griz. Off week and I am bored.

Murray is much faster and more dynamic than Anderson, and more of a threat than Anderson at QB, in my view. If you have a 2-year starter at QB, I'm not sure getting a good QB ready to play in the stater's 3d year is as much of a priority than it would be if your QB was going to graduate or become ineligible. The Cats got caught on this one. It's significantly affecting their season.

Back