• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Weber 2.0

AllWeatherFan said:
They shot 38 free throws and we shot 22. We got screwed.
"Great minds think alike." We must have been typing at the same time. Note the point in my post above: The difference in the game was the difference at the foul line ... exactly.

Actually, you can more or less make that case in a lot of games, as long as they're reasonably close. Example from today: Arkansas beat #10 Missouri (at Missouri), 86-81. The difference was at the foul line, where Arkansas was 20 of 23 (87%), while Missouri went 14 of 21 (66.7%).

When we built our 9 point lead, with about 4 minutes to go, Your guys had to start fouling to try and get back in the game. It did work a bit, but we hit enough of our FTs to pull out a hard fought win.

I gotta say, that UM defense was the best we have faced all year. BYU had more shot blockers, but they were not as steadily in our faces as you guys were. For us, getting a split at your place is big.

Good luck until we see you in Boise. :clap:

A couple B.S calls here and there, don’t think they in any way changed the final result. We put people on the line at a top 50 rate in the country anyways....It was more about having some lapses in key moments. A split here isn’t bad, but I wish we’d come out with the same intensity against average or below average teams. We have played “well” this season against Arizona, UW, and Weber. And our worst games have come against sub par teams like PSU....

UMFan12 said:
A couple B.S calls here and there, don’t think they in any way changed the final result. We put people on the line at a top 50 rate in the country anyways....It was more about having some lapses in key moments. A split here isn’t bad, but I wish we’d come out with the same intensity against average or below average teams. We have played “well” this season against Arizona, UW, and Weber. And our worst games have come against sub par teams like PSU....
I watched the whole game and all of the replays. There were 3 to 4 BS calls against both sides, it happens. Over all, it was called like most BSC games, way too many fouls called that should be no calls. We always get that because we don't get the most experienced refs. It really hurts us when we get to the NCAA tourney. We are not used to the physical game that is played in the rest of the country and it hurts our chances. :geek:

IdaGriz01 said:
AZGrizFan said:
Most inconsistently reffed game in some time, for sure.
Just looked at the stats posted on ESPN. The refs called 26 fouls on the Griz, just 16 on the Weebs. The Griz were phenomenal from the line ... 21 of 22 (95.5%). WSU was not bad either ... 30 of 38 (78.9%). Not so fun fact: The difference at the foul line, 9 points, was exactly the same as the difference in the game. :(

I’m sure those numbers are padded somewhat by having to foul at the end....I just think it was inconsistent both ways. The flagrant on Steadman was pure BS. The technical on Raye (or his player) was tickytack, as was the technical on TD and the bench....they’d call 3-4 touch fouls in a row, then see guys go back-back-back getting mugged driving to the rim with no calls....just very inconsistent both ways. That makes it real tough for a player to figure out what’s gonna be “the line”...

UMFan12 said:

Yep, in that stretch Weber jumped ahead the boys got impatient and took some bad shots. A few lapses on D to go with it and you are down 10. The foul disparity did not help but they still could have won. Good lesson on what it takes against a quality team. Will help when they get to Boise.

AZGrizFan said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Just looked at the stats posted on ESPN. The refs called 26 fouls on the Griz, just 16 on the Weebs. The Griz were phenomenal from the line ... 21 of 22 (95.5%). WSU was not bad either ... 30 of 38 (78.9%). Not so fun fact: The difference at the foul line, 9 points, was exactly the same as the difference in the game. :(

I’m sure those numbers are padded somewhat by having to foul at the end....I just think it was inconsistent both ways. The flagrant on Steadman was pure BS. The technical on Raye (or his player) was tickytack, as was the technical on TD and the bench....they’d call 3-4 touch fouls in a row, then see guys go back-back-back getting mugged driving to the rim with no calls....just very inconsistent both ways. That makes it real tough for a player to figure out what’s gonna be “the line”...

The early call on DJ when he beat their center to the loose ball on the baseline hurt. Weebs have several guys that go strong to the hoop compared to most of our guys who really aren't strong enough to get to the rim through contact. Steadman missed a couple bunnies instead of jamming the ball. Going strong will get you more calls most of the time.

What will it take to get a center, the second coming ? Ours won't make the 4th team all conference.

Weber State offensive explosion helps Wildcats earn split in Missoula
https://skylinesportsmt.com/weber-state-offensive-explosion-helps-wildcats-earn-split-in-missoula/

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1360810283938189312

Hoops watcher said:
AZGrizFan said:

The early call on DJ when he beat their center to the loose ball on the baseline hurt. Weebs have several guys that go strong to the hoop compared to most of our guys who really aren't strong enough to get to the rim through contact. Steadman missed a couple bunnies instead of jamming the ball. Going strong will get you more calls most of the time.

Agreed. After his first dunk, Steadman played soft. And that foul on DJ was typical of their missing calls — both ways. Just not a very good reffed game...they appeared to call what “appeared to happen” instead of what ACTUALLY happened....like the foul on Mac when the other guy was over his back for the rebound...just strange.

Hoops watcher said:
AZGrizFan said:

Gah, I was wondering the same damn thing. Why not just jam the f@cking ball in the hoop!? More likely to make it and get a foul in the act.

PeauxRouge said:
Hoops watcher said:

Gah, I was wondering the same damn thing. Why not just jam the f@cking ball in the hoop!? More likely to make it and get a foul in the act.

I was yelling at my TV a lot when Steadman got the ball underneath. Was hoping his first dunk was a good sign of change, but that was it. No aggressiveness after that.

AZGrizFan said:
PeauxRouge said:

I was yelling at my TV a lot when Steadman got the ball underneath. Was hoping his first dunk was a good sign of change, but that was it. No aggressiveness after that.

But when Steadman gets the ball down there look at the other players, they don't move 6 inches.
How many times has he passed out.

fanofzoo said:
AZGrizFan said:

But when Steadman gets the ball down there look at the other players, they don't move 6 inches.

Nope. I noticed (especially in the 2nd half) lots of standing around on the perimeter.

AZGrizFan said:
fanofzoo said:

Nope. I noticed (especially in the 2nd half) lots of standing around on the perimeter.

Yep, nobody even in the paint to pass it to! And that leads to nobody underneath to fight for the rebound.

fanofzoo said:
AZGrizFan said:

I would make a counter-argument that when a skilled 6’10 big man gets the ball in the paint why not let him go to work 1-on-1? Does it not make sense for the others to stay on the perimeter and keep the paint clear for him?

In theory Steadman should be at an advantage over just about everyone in the BSC. Why cut to the basket or do any other movement drawing additional defenders in the paint? Get him the ball down low and stay out of the way. If they choose to double, then it seems like a kick-out to the perimeter or a cutter would be the next move. But I am not sure I see that many teams doubling him down low.

GrizBall said:
fanofzoo said:

I would make a counter-argument that when a skilled 6’10 big man gets the ball in the paint why not let him go to work 1-on-1? Does it not make sense for the others to stay on the perimeter and keep the paint clear for him?

In theory Steadman should be at an advantage over just about everyone in the BSC. Why cut to the basket or do any other movement drawing additional defenders in the paint? Get him the ball down low and stay out of the way. If they choose to double, then it seems like a kick-out to the perimeter or a cutter would be the next move. But I am not sure I see that many teams doubling him down low.

They could move/ rotate on the perimeter more. Movement doesn't always mean cutting into the paint.

mtgrizrule said:
GrizBall said:

They could move/ rotate on the perimeter more. Movement doesn't always mean cutting into the paint.
Maybe they need the rest.

Latest posts

Back