• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Weather

Ursa Major said:
I love the mythology of this thread. It would give Joseph Campbell a boner

Where the hell is Raider to scold all of you?

Yeah, the minute SELA won I knew there would be an idiotic weather thread on e-griz. Actually surprised there is only one, but it’s early in the week.

Raider said:
Ursa Major said:

Yeah, the minute SELA won I knew there would be an idiotic weather thread on e-griz. Actually surprised there is only one, but it’s early in the week.

Will there be a completely separate thread on crowd noise or will that just be merged with this weather thread?

ilovethecats said:
Raider said:
Ursa Major said:

Will there be a completely separate thread on crowd noise or will that just be merged with this weather thread?

I actually think the crowd noise is a somewhat legit topic, especially for schools like this that only get 3,000 in attendance.

The weather thing with Griz fans is just dumb.

Raider said:
ilovethecats said:
Raider said:
Ursa Major said:

I actually think the crowd noise is a somewhat legit topic, especially for schools like this that only get 3,000 in attendance.

I agree. Was just playing. Crowds can definitely be a factor. I don’t buy into the weather crap.

In fact, when I saw our draw I was happy that we should be able to avoid the topic playing a team from the northeast. We’ll see though!

Raider said:
ilovethecats said:
Raider said:
Ursa Major said:

I agree the weather topic when southern teams come to Missoula to play is stupid.

You can't control the weather, but you can control the crowd noise factor. Bring the noise!!

Weather, especially cold and snowy weather, impacts most southern teams. That's one of the reasons that UM's hime playoff record is so good against southern teams. Yes, there are occasional exceptions like Coastal Carolina.

Cold/snowy weather has a psychological affect on many kids from the south who have not experienced cold weather and snow. They see the snow. They don't like the cold. It is just a fact that it's harder to catch a football in the cold, and that being tackled in the cold can hurt more. MT kids are used to this, having grown up in it. UM kids tend to get used to it, due to practicing or playing in it, and playing with kids and coaches who are used to it.

This is similar to other contact sports like rugby.

Crowd noise. This also has a significant impact, especially on teams that haven't played in loud stadiums or haven't played in UM's stadium. The crowd noise has much less impact on Big Sky teams, because they have been to UM previously. Same with the intimidation factor.

Cold weather and loud stadiums don't guarantee wins, but they help. Especially involving teams from the south, and playoff teams who have not played in Griz stadium.

Teams from outside the conference also tend not to realize how good our returners, especially JLM, are, so they kick to him. They also tend not to have good plans to defense the returners. That also helps.

get'em_griz said:
Raider said:
ilovethecats said:
Raider said:

I agree the weather topic when southern teams come to Missoula to play is stupid.

You can't control the weather, but you can control the crowd noise factor. Bring the noise!!

Have you ever played college contact sports in the cold?

Look at UM's record in home playoff games against southern or warm weather teams. It's incredibly good. About only 2 losses, including Coastal.

PlayerRep said:
get'em_griz said:
Raider said:
ilovethecats said:

Look at UM's record in home playoff games against southern or warm weather teams. It's incredibly good. About only 2 losses, including Coastal.

Dude, I get that weather plays a factor, but to hype it up as a reason why the Griz are going to win (which is what a lot of Griz fans do), is silly.

get'em_griz said:
Raider said:
... I actually think the crowd noise is a somewhat legit topic, especially for schools like this that only get 3,000 in attendance.

Actually, weather is a legit topic ... but only as information/warnings for those who have to travel to the game. So, in the future, a legit thread should perhaps be called "Travel Weather."

FYI: SELA is (was) slightly better than you mention. They averaged nearly 5,500 in 2018 home attendance -- still crappy, but better than maybe 45-50 others. :)

ilovethecats said:
Raider said:
ilovethecats said:
Raider said:

I agree. Was just playing. Crowds can definitely be a factor. I don’t buy into the weather crap.

In fact, when I saw our draw I was happy that we should be able to avoid the topic playing a team from the northeast. We’ll see though!

Wondered why Bobcat Nation only had a thread on crowd noise. Will Cat fans get over the one chant they know so well and figure out Cats aren't playing the Griz this weekend?

Mousegriz said:
ilovethecats said:
Raider said:
ilovethecats said:

Wondered why Bobcat Nation only had a thread on crowd noise. Will Cat fans get over the one chant they know so well and figure out Cats aren't playing the Griz this weekend?

Nope I can promise you they will still chant that during their playoff game. I was at a concert in Bozeman this summer....and they chanted it there....weirdest thing I’ve seen in bozangeles and that says a lot.

Posted this on the Lions Football Forum website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knX92v66gg8

Just a little taste!

get'em_griz said:
PlayerRep said:
get'em_griz said:
Raider said:

Dude, I get that weather plays a factor, but to hype it up as a reason why the Griz are going to win (which is what a lot of Griz fans do), is silly.

And to underplay weather like this factor, i.e. your earlier post ("The weather thing with Griz fans is just dumb"), is sillier and dumber.

PlayerRep said:
get'em_griz said:
PlayerRep said:
get'em_griz said:

And to underplay weather like this factor, i.e. your earlier post ("The weather thing with Griz fans is just dumb"), is sillier and dumber.

A good example of how weather actually does work to Montanas advantage in many playoff games is the video above this post.

Watch Chase Reynolds run in the frozen snow covered field. His steps are very choppy, short and always keeps his feet under himself on cuts while defenders are over running and slipping.

Its because Chase grew up around snow, living in those conditions, and people that live in those conditions know how to and how not to move with snow on the ground.

It does make a difference.

FARMDAWG said:
Posted this on the Lions Football Forum website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knX92v66gg8

Just a little taste!

Man I loved those old jerseys. I hope whoever does our new jerseys makes the MONTANA huge across the chest again.

HookedonGriz said:
Mousegriz said:
ilovethecats said:
Raider said:

Nope I can promise you they will still chant that during their playoff game. I was at a concert in Bozeman this summer....and they chanted it there....weirdest thing I’ve seen in bozangeles and that says a lot.

Almost like a bunch of little kids realizing the first time that they can say "shit" and get away with it. It really is bizarre.

Ah the good ole days of 25K rowdy fans! No one being told to sit down...Griz nation is getting old, need a new generation to step up

Back