• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Voice of the Cats Sexually Harassed Just, MSU Investigation Says

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now after many legal opinions, I have a question: do we know if the lady encouraged the wicked man in the very beginning?

If the announcer was an employee of MSU, then Title IX would apply. I don't think he was an employee of MSU, from I can tell. If the Learfield/MSU contractssays Learfield employees working on the MSU contract, are subject to MSU policies, or certain policies, then MSU would have jurisdiction to take action, perhaps or probably under Title IX. If the reporter was a student or MSU employee, then, due to the announcer working for Learfield which has a contract with MSU, then I would think MSU could and should take action under Title IX.

If MSU discriminates against a woman/person applying for admission, that would be covered by some law, and probably Title IX.

The issue, in my view, in this situation, is that it looks like neither are an employee of MSU. One works for a contractor of MSU, and is also associated with MSU, and the other covers some of MSU's athletics at times as part of her job. To me (and I am not an expert in this area), I don't see how Title IX would apply. As I have said, that doesn't mean that MSU couldn't and shouldn't determine the facts, and take some action. I would have done it quicker than MSU did.

Like CDA, I wonder if MSU has admitted that Title IX applies to the situation. What if MSU had not found for the reporter? I wonder if the reporter could have then have sued MSU under Title IX, saying by having the proceeding MSU admitted that Title IX applied.

I wonder if MSU has set precedent for allowing every Tom, Dick and Harry (and their female counterparts) to file a Title IX complaint every time something happens to them on the campus, at a game, or at a MSU function. If I go to the Cat golf outing, and some drunk guy who works for the contractor rebuilding the stadium, starts harassing me or my wife, and does it multiple times, I can't imagine that we should have the right to file a Title IX complaint with MSU.

How about this one? A Missoulian reporter is on MSU's campus walking to a football game. A construction guy working for the contractor building the new chemistry building, starts whistling and hassling the reporter. Can she file a Title IX complaint? Can she sue MSU under Title IX, knowing that this is the third time this has happened to her on MSU's campus?

Now, I do believe that she could complain to MSU, who would talk to the contractor, who would then tell his guys to knock it off. But not as a result of Title IX.

As for the non-student getting hassled in the stands at the game or tailgate, by another non-student, I just can't imagine that Title IX covers that, or that MSU would be obligated to proceed with a Title IX action.

I've just posted about 5 times more than I know on this subject. At least, a few of us find this interesting.

Player, interesting? Maybe, but isn’t it the age old issue of a problem that likely began when one or both were flirting?

I wonder if someone could establish that Sanderson was effectively an employee of MSU? No question that he was on Learfield's payroll, but he was the 'Voice of the Bobcats' not the 'Voice of the Learfield's'. While not privy to the contract between MSU and Learfield, it's reasonable to expect that MSU had some say-so in terms of Learfield hiring him as announcer. Then you get into pretty small stuff, did he have an office on-campus?; a bobcat logo on his business card?; did MSU staff in any way supervise his performance?

I think what happened here is that MSU was confronted with a sexual harassment complaint, the person who investigates sexual harassment is the Title 9 guy, so they did a Title 9 investigation without a lot forethought.

mcg said:
I wonder if someone could establish that Sanderson was effectively an employee of MSU? No question that he was on Learfield's payroll, but he was the 'Voice of the Bobcats' not the 'Voice of the Learfield's'. While not privy to the contract between MSU and Learfield, it's reasonable to expect that MSU had some say-so in terms of Learfield hiring him as announcer. Then you get into pretty small stuff, did he have an office on-campus?; a bobcat logo on his business card?; did MSU staff in any way supervise his performance?

I think what happened here is that MSU was confronted with a sexual harassment complaint, the person who investigates sexual harassment is the Title 9 guy, so they did a Title 9 investigation without a lot forethought.

All of what you mention would play into MSU taking some action, and I think they should have investigated and taken some action, but if MSU wasn't withholding from his paycheck, I assume he wasn't an employee of MSU. Some of the HR people and employment lawyers should weigh in on this.

HomelyUnsungAmethystsunbird-max-1mb.gif

PlayerRep said:
mcg said:

All of what you mention would play into MSU taking some action, and I think they should have investigated and taken some action, but if MSU wasn't withholding from his paycheck, I assume he wasn't an employee of MSU. Some of the HR people and employment lawyers should weigh in on this.

If I was bringing some sort of legal action against Sanderson I'd work hard to make MSU his 'effective' employer as MSU has much deeper pockets. You could argue that MSU had control over his work activities and thus was effectively his employer. I know I'm reaching here, but when you deem outsiders the 'Voice of the Bobcats' I don't think you get to easily walk away from what the voice does.

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
All one has to do is read the texts that he sent directly to Just.....which are public and outlined in the articles....and you know 100% he is guilty. If you can’t see that I can’t help you.

Okay, show us the texts and explain what the circumstances were. You know they were pretty good friends, don't you?

Okay, a guy, who is a friend of a woman, is texting with the woman at a hotel. The man and woman are not in the same company, ie she doesn't work for him. She is responding. He texts her to come down to the bar and have a drink so he can see more of her. You think that is something horrible?

And then she doesn't complain about this. She waits multiple months, gets a new job out of state, and then makes a formal complaint about him in MT.

Let's see the texts. Let's have a discussion. Not saying what the guy did was right, or not stupid, or cool, but don't think what she did was cool either.

Found the guy who regularly assaults.

mcg said:
PlayerRep said:
mcg said:

If I was bringing some sort of legal action against Sanderson I'd work hard to make MSU his 'effective' employer as MSU has much deeper pockets. You could argue that MSU had control over his work activities and thus was effectively his employer. I know I'm reaching here, but when you deem outsiders the 'Voice of the Bobcats' I don't think you get to easily walk away from what the voice does.

So your lawsuit wouldnt be about justice but about how to get the most money.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
All one has to do is read the texts that he sent directly to Just.....which are public and outlined in the articles....and you know 100% he is guilty. If you can’t see that I can’t help you.

Okay, show us the texts and explain what the circumstances were. You know they were pretty good friends, don't you?

Okay, a guy, who is a friend of a woman, is texting with the woman at a hotel. The man and woman are not in the same company, ie she doesn't work for him. She is responding. He texts her to come down to the bar and have a drink so he can see more of her. You think that is something horrible?

And then she doesn't complain about this. She waits multiple months, gets a new job out of state, and then makes a formal complaint about him in MT.

Let's see the texts. Let's have a discussion. Not saying what the guy did was right, or not stupid, or cool, but don't think what she did was cool either.

What was "found" in the post?

Are you capable of providing anything of substance, like addressing the post or answering its questions? Or, is vaguely attacking another poster the only thing you've got? I assume you will now slink away with your tail behind your legs.

PlayerRep said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

Are you capable of providing anything of substance, like addressing the post or answering its questions? Or, is vaguely attacking another poster the only thing you've got? I assume you will now slink away with your tail behind your legs.

The real question we should be asking...Is it "Tail Behind your legs" or "Tail Between your legs"

Spanky2 said:
Now after many legal opinions, I have a question: do we know if the lady encouraged the wicked man in the very beginning?

Excellent question. I think somebody should start a poll.

Question: Did the lady encourage the wicked man?

A. Yes, the whore did encourage the wicked man and his wickedness.
B. No, the man was wicked and he sinned against the lady.
C. Bobcats suck.

I choose C.

SACCAT66 said:
The real question we should be asking...Is it "Tail Behind your legs" or "Tail Between your legs"
It's "tail between your legs" and that's my substantive contribution to this thread. I'll show myself out...

SACCAT66 said:
Lawyers have forever created their own metaphors.

It's at this point in the thread that I'd like to reiterate that I believe what Sanderson did was very wrong, that I do not believe Ms. Just did anything wrong, that I feel for her for having to go through what she did, and that I hope her speaking out stops something similar from happening in the future.

I just thought the Title IX implication was interesting given the respective statuses of those involved. Sorry if that took away from the above.

CDAGRIZ said:
It's at this point in the thread that I'd like to reiterate that I believe what Sanderson did was very wrong, that I do not believe Ms. Just did anything wrong, that I feel for her for having to go through what she did, and that I hope her speaking out stops something similar from happening in the future.

I just thought the Title IX implication was interesting given the respective statuses of those involved. Sorry if that took away from the above.
But you don’t actually know that she didn’t do anything wrong. Correct?

Spanky2 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

But you don’t actually know that she didn’t do anything wrong. Correct?

Correct. As I thought I necessarily implied by writing, "I do not believe . . ." above.

SACCAT66 said:
PlayerRep said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Tongue in mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back