• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM Spring Enrollment Numbers?

Copper Griz said:
argh! said:
how many years are you general electric lovers going to blame what happened a decade ago for what's happening now? can't you just maybe admit that your golden boy is a smidge worse than you thought? or your copper boy, in this case...

I have no affinity for Bodnar, but you aren’t going to rebuild Rome in a day. This is going to take more time than a couple of years. I don’t see U of M starting from square one and yielding better results. Bodnar has his hands full and so would whoever replaced him. The post about tech in the Gallatin Valley and the perception of UM with liberal arts is spot on. Didn’t happen overnight people. Not going to get fixed overnight either.

i probably over-interpreted your previous bodnar comment. at this point, i'm far from impressed, albeit from a distance. he seems to have adapted to the academia pace - slow.

horribilisfan8184 said:
When I enrolled at UM in the late 70's, virtually every political office, state and federal, were held by Democrats. Two Senators and one of two Representatives, Governor and most elected officials, and both houses of the Legislature controlled by Democrats. Unions were big in Montana. Extraction jobs at unions wages were all over the state, and union officials had significant clout. The people had just passed the most progressive (liberal) state constitution in the nations. The Viet Nam war was not long over and UM was the center of war resistance. UM was the Harvard of the West with an impressive record of Rhode Scholars. MSU was a cow town where hippies were beat up on a regular basis. It was really a joke of an Ag college posing as a University.

Montana demographics has drastically changed. Liberal Democratic environmental policies killed the extraction industries and the union jobs that went with it. As the computer age dawned MSU grabbed hold, especially the engineering arts. As the smaller colleges were divvied out to the flagship U's, MSU started adding duplicate programs in teaching, nursing, and business.

The point is as Montana demographics changed and the business landscape evolved, MSU adapted and UM held on to it's snobbish liberal arts sceptor. Is it any wonder Daines, Gianforte and Chris Nelson all developed their companies in the Gallatin Valley? Living now in one of the smaller counties in this state I can tell you there are still lots of older UM fans, but most people see UM as a place your kids go to get indoctrinated in political thought the parents' vehemently disagree with. Perception is reality and the job Gwen did turned the flat or downward enrollment trickle to a downpour. And given no one at UM seems to know how to use social media too turn that image around, this is deep hole that will stay that way for the foreseeable future. It doesn't help that we are an aging population as well.
Nailed it, with some points I wasn't aware of! :thumb:

PlayerRep said:
What, specifically, has Bodnar done wrong or not done? Sorry, turn enrollment around is not specific.

He is making changes for sure. However, a downward spiral of that magnitutde is a long term fix. There are huge challenges to overcome. I wish him the best. Declining enrollment at any State school is not good.

My daughter is a junior in high school in California. She has received multiple brochures from Montana State promoting the great education she could receive there and nothing from Montana.

SloStang said:
My daughter is a junior in high school in California. She has received multiple brochures from Montana State promoting the great education she could receive there and nothing from Montana.
You don't have to be in CA for that. It happens all over MT.

kemajic said:
SloStang said:
You don't have to be in CA for that. It happens all over MT.
That I don’t understand. Maybe we deserve to close shop.

Realize it's Colorado, but it seems to me Montana could do a great service to these kids getting them degrees. Of course, the online opportunities are somewhat limited in these communities. I don't think it would take very much effort to go get these kids in school here. Time for our BOR to get their collective heads out...

https://www.denverpost.com/2021/02/14/colorado-community-college-enrollment-drop-pandemic-2020/

I'm amazed that the school in Boulder didn't take a bigger hit.

The BOR is a goddamned joke. Can you imagine if Pat Williams had been confirmed to the BOR? UM would be a low rent hostel for the homeless. :(

tourist said:
The BOR is a goddamned joke. Can you imagine if Pat Williams had been confirmed to the BOR? UM would be a low rent hostel for the homeless. :(

I’m curious, why do you think the BOR is a joke?

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
wbtfg said:
I’m curious, why do you think the BOR is a joke?

Seriously?

https://mus.edu/board/BORmembers.html

Isn't Todd Buchanan a former Cat QB? Former BOR member too.

What's wrong with the St Pats woman? I don't know her.

Casey Lozar is great. I know him well. Smart and accomplished. Play golf at Dartmouth.

Nystuen is a top banker in state. Heads a bunch of Glacier Bancorp banks. Has parallel job to Scott Burke in Missoula.

Tuss always seemed like a nice guy. Don't know much about him.

Don't know the other two.

Gianforte's picks will likely be different than Bullock's.

Spanky2 said:
Is this the second time around for Todd Buchanan?

Apparently so....it says his term begins this month. I assume he’s Gianforte’s first appointee?

Back