• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Transgender?

Transgender? Yea or Nay? and your reasoning!

• Yea

Votes: 22 51.2%
  • Nay

Votes: 21 48.8%

• Total voters
AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Are you trying to cancel trans-athletes?

What’s the matter? Your “snowflake” argument got shot down in one stroke, so you’re moving on?

Perhaps they should compete against other trans athletes?
I don't feel that it is a yes or no answer. There are a lot of mitigating circumstances that could sway me one way or the other. It's a good debate, and it needs to be debated and resolved logically. We need to get emotions out of the equation. There are some who are genetically both sexes. There are those who started transitioning at an earlier age. I'm old enough to remember some of the Soviet and East German Olympic athletes who were highly suspicious but not inspected or tested genetically. For now, they are using non genetic blood tests to make their determinations. Maybe that should change, IDK. It should be debated and finalized by less emotional/politically charged individuals.

oldrunner said:
AZGrizFan said:
What’s the matter? Your “snowflake” argument got shot down in one stroke, so you’re moving on?

I don't feel that it is a yes or no answer. There are a lot of mitigating circumstances that could sway me one way or the other. It's a good debate, and it needs to be debated and resolved logically. We need to get emotions out of the equation. There are some who are genetically both sexes. There are those who started transitioning at an earlier age. I'm old enough to remember some of the Soviet and East German Olympic athletes who were highly suspicious but not inspected or tested genetically. For now, they are using non genetic blood tests to make their determinations. Maybe that should change, IDK. It should be debated and finalized by less emotional/politically charged individuals.
Nicely stated, oldrunner.

AZGrizFan said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Are you trying to cancel trans-athletes?

Nah, still think you are being a little snowflakish with your initial response, but finally you posted something that makes sense. If people don't think it is fair for them to compete against females, instead of just ending the convo by saying they should automatically compete with males, maybe there is an opportunity to address this now and get all on a fair stage.

HelenaHandBasket
If people don't think it is fair for them to compete against females, instead of just ending the convo by saying they should automatically compete with males, maybe there is an opportunity to address this now and get all on a fair stage.

Keeping this basketball related it seems kind of tough to create some sort of trans league or conference when, as far as I know, there isn't one trans athlete on any on any of the teams that made the womens or mens final 64. While there may be some, I'm not aware of any trans athletes on any collegiate basketball teams. So if you could even form one team, which doesn't seem likely, who would they play? Which of course is the crux of the problem because of course it is such an infantismal issue it really isn't a problem unless some people just like keeping the drumbeat of culture wars alive and well so we never get to real issues of which there are plenty. Ya I know there might be one someday, and of course that would destroy the entire fabric of society, but I'll take my chances.

sdk.catfish said:
HelenaHandBasket
If people don't think it is fair for them to compete against females, instead of just ending the convo by saying they should automatically compete with males, maybe there is an opportunity to address this now and get all on a fair stage.

Keeping this basketball related it seems kind of tough to create some sort of trans league or conference when, as far as I know, there isn't one trans athlete on any on any of the teams that made the womens or mens final 64. While there may be some, I'm not aware of any trans athletes on any collegiate basketball teams. So if you could even form one team, which doesn't seem likely, who would they play? Which of course is the crux of the problem because of course it is such an infantismal issue it really isn't a problem unless some people just like keeping the drumbeat of culture wars alive and well so we never get to real issues of which there are plenty. Ya I know there might be one someday, and of course that would destroy the entire fabric of society, but I'll take my chances.

Tell that to the ladies standing in the podium in 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

sdk.catfish said:
HelenaHandBasket

People hardly ever get run over, so why should we have cros-walks? A small percentage of our population died from COVID, so why waster our time developing a vaccine?

AZGrizFan

My post was basketball related, not swimming. I'm simply not aware of any transgender athletes, men or women, playing collegiate basketball. Do women basketball champs stand on podiums? I guess I've never really seen that. Maybe in the olympics I guess? Have there been any transgender basketball athletes playing in the olympics? Guess Im not aware of any. I could be wrong. Sure as hell doesn't even seem like a problem to me but that's me. If you like inventing problems where they don't exist then this is right up your .............. alley.

sdk.catfish said:
AZGrizFan

My post was basketball related, not swimming. I'm simply not aware of any transgender athletes, men or women, playing collegiate basketball. Do women basketball champs stand on podiums? I guess I've never really seen that. Maybe in the olympics I guess? Have there been any transgender basketball athletes playing in the olympics? Guess Im not aware of any. I could be wrong. Sure as hell doesn't even seem like a problem to me but that's me. If you like inventing problems where they don't exist then this is right up your .............. alley.

Is it your view that the best or only way to address a potential problem is to wait until it is clearly a problem. E.g., don’t put a guard rail on a curve on the road until someone crashes off the road at the curve.

sdk.catfish said:
AZGrizFan

https://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2012/12/18/6-foot-8-transgender-player-takes-court-against-delta-college/

mthoopsfan

Is it your view that the best or only way to address a potential problem is to wait until it is clearly a problem. E.g., don’t put a guard rail on a curve on the road until someone crashes off the road at the curve.
My approach would would be to insure that there is actually a dangerous curve before posting the sign. In the case we are speaking of, there are no instances in collegiate basketball that I'm aware of where transgender athletes are making any difference - not a substantial differnce, or even a little bitty difference in the outcome of the game. Your a lawyer for God's sake. What if your opposition in court cited a potential circumstance, one that had never in this lifetime occured, as a reason for ruling for their client. I'm assuming you would crush the opposing lawyer. So what is the potential problem if an alien planet, where the average height of males is 10' and females is 9.9', were to kidnap Lebron James and "steal" his sperm and create multiple male and female players that would demolish current norms for US basketball players - some of those players not knowing what their gender is. Is that potentially possible? I suppose but I just can't get caught up in that moment. I should never have engaged here - too many morons for my liking, but I guess you have nothing better to do than hallucinate on all the terrible things that might happen. Just because somebody gets "beat" doesn't make them a loser which should be an acceptable position in athletics, but sometimes the "fans" get in the way.

sdk.catfish said:
mthoopsfan

My approach would would be to insure that there is actually a dangerous curve before posting the sign. In the case we are speaking of, there are no instances in collegiate basketball that I'm aware of where transgender athletes are making any difference - not a substantial differnce, or even a little bitty difference in the outcome of the game. Your a lawyer for God's sake. What if your opposition in court cited a potential circumstance, one that had never in this lifetime occured, as a reason for ruling for their client. I'm assuming you would crush the opposing lawyer. So what is the potential problem if an alien planet, where the average height of males is 10' and females is 9.9', were to kidnap Lebron James and "steal" his sperm and create multiple male and female players that would demolish current norms for US basketball players - some of those players not knowing what their gender is. Is that potentially possible? I suppose but I just can't get caught up in that moment. I should never have engaged here - too many morons for my liking, but I guess you have nothing better to do than hallucinate on all the terrible things that might happen. Just because somebody gets "beat" doesn't make them a loser which should be an acceptable position in athletics, but sometimes the "fans" get in the way.

How about we give you a participation trophy and call it quits :lol:

sdk.catfish said:
mthoopsfan

So, because there are CURRENTLY no transgender athletes in college basketball, the issue should not be addressed and a solution put forth? How forward thinking of you. And if you don’t think there will eventually BE some B-grade ball player who gets cut from the mens team and announces a gender switch to go dominate the women’s league, I’ve got a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you. It’s already happened in cross country and swimming. Why would basketball be such a stretch?

sdk.catfish said:
HelenaHandBasket

So, your view is to have different rules for different sports? One rule for swimming, where there is at least one glaring example. Another rule for basketball, assuming there aren't clear examples at this time. What about track?

Back