• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Timmy Falls feature story

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
mtgrizrule said:
Terrific article. Great job at touching on everything, much of which has been discussed by Egrizzers. With that said, I think some posters should man up, eat some crow, and admit, they were wrong about Timmy Falls. A few posters were a little over the top, when Falls struggled coming back from his hand injury. I recall, someone went as far as saying, Falls isn't a DIV 1 player, or something similar to that. A few others backed Falls, and told people to have patience with him recovering from an injury.

I wonder, will any of his naysayers will man up here? I for one, am glad he has improved himself in the little intangibles that come with being fiery competitor. He sure has made a great positive impact to the GRIZ this season. I was, and still am a little critical of his jump shot. Despite the side knuckling rotation, his 3 pt shot is pretty solid this season. I will continue to believe, if he did some minor changes with his guide hand, release, and follow through, he could be a very high percentage 3 pt shooter. In the off season, I hope he dedicates his time to doing just that for his SR season. Speaking of which, with his maturity this season, he''ll have to take on more leadership next season. That team will be his and Steadman's to lead. I believe, he will be ready to take on that challenge next season.

I will admit, Timmy Falls is one of my favorite GRIZ to watch. Just knowing, at anytime he can pull off an absolutely stunning no look, or behind the back pass, always has me on the edge of my seat. Even, some of that is being passed onto Vazquez. Vazquez is beginning to make some rather eye catching passes and penetrating a little more often too. I know, I see Falls and Vazquez communicating with each other quite frequently.

As for Timmy, "Thank you, for your blood, sweat, and tears you give for GRIZ NATION".

Several naysayers already DID “man up” earlier in the season. I was one of those—felt he shouldn’t be a starter and that he was a head case and liability on the court. My issue wasn’t how he played coming off the injury, it was how he played the past two seasons, letting shit get into his head and blowing his top. THAT has improved dramatically this year, and his play along with it. If last year’s Timmy was here this year, this team isn’t 12-3 in conference.

So, was I wrong? I don’t think so. But I sure am glad he matured to the point that he’s a genuine plus on the court and has helped get this team to where its at despite major playing time for four freshmen.

Actually, you were wrong. He had stepped up big at the end of last season, in the last 5 or 6 games. Had talked to the coaches and gotten back into the starting line up. Had received nice praise from the NCAA game announcers.

He was still a turnover machine at the end of last season. He and Decuire deserve a ton of credit for the improvement he has made in that area where he is now 2nd in conference games in assist/turnover ratio.

DPGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
mtgrizrule said:
Terrific article. Great job at touching on everything, much of which has been discussed by Egrizzers. With that said, I think some posters should man up, eat some crow, and admit, they were wrong about Timmy Falls. A few posters were a little over the top, when Falls struggled coming back from his hand injury. I recall, someone went as far as saying, Falls isn't a DIV 1 player, or something similar to that. A few others backed Falls, and told people to have patience with him recovering from an injury.

I wonder, will any of his naysayers will man up here? I for one, am glad he has improved himself in the little intangibles that come with being fiery competitor. He sure has made a great positive impact to the GRIZ this season. I was, and still am a little critical of his jump shot. Despite the side knuckling rotation, his 3 pt shot is pretty solid this season. I will continue to believe, if he did some minor changes with his guide hand, release, and follow through, he could be a very high percentage 3 pt shooter. In the off season, I hope he dedicates his time to doing just that for his SR season. Speaking of which, with his maturity this season, he''ll have to take on more leadership next season. That team will be his and Steadman's to lead. I believe, he will be ready to take on that challenge next season.

I will admit, Timmy Falls is one of my favorite GRIZ to watch. Just knowing, at anytime he can pull off an absolutely stunning no look, or behind the back pass, always has me on the edge of my seat. Even, some of that is being passed onto Vazquez. Vazquez is beginning to make some rather eye catching passes and penetrating a little more often too. I know, I see Falls and Vazquez communicating with each other quite frequently.

As for Timmy, "Thank you, for your blood, sweat, and tears you give for GRIZ NATION".

Several naysayers already DID “man up” earlier in the season. I was one of those—felt he shouldn’t be a starter and that he was a head case and liability on the court. My issue wasn’t how he played coming off the injury, it was how he played the past two seasons, letting shit get into his head and blowing his top. THAT has improved dramatically this year, and his play along with it. If last year’s Timmy was here this year, this team isn’t 12-3 in conference.

So, was I wrong? I don’t think so. But I sure am glad he matured to the point that he’s a genuine plus on the court and has helped get this team to where its at despite major playing time for four freshmen.

Actually, you were wrong. He had stepped up big at the end of last season, in the last 5 or 6 games. Had talked to the coaches and gotten back into the starting line up. Had received nice praise from the NCAA game announcers.

He was still a turnover machine at the end of last season. He and Decuire deserve a ton of credit for the improvement he has made in that area where he is now 2nd in conference games in assist/turnover ratio.

It's ok DP. He talked to the coaches.

Hoops watcher said:
maroonandsilver said:
mtgrizrule said:
Any updates regarding Timmy's injury? I'm hoping, a few week recovery time. What's the injury? Get well soon, Timmy.

I heard torn ligaments. Out 2 weeks minimum.

Torn ligaments is a worst case scenario for sure. If so I'd doubt he'd be back this year. Time for Mr. Egun to step up and shine.

Maroon's post is correct.

DPGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
mtgrizrule said:

Nope, you are wrong. In the last 10 games of last season, when he averaged 22 minutes per game, he averaged 1.5 TO per game. Had 15 in 10 games. Had zero TO against Michigan in 28 minutes.

Sorry, but 1.5 TO per game, is very good, especially against mostly good competition and in important games.

By my count, by comparison in last 10 games, Manuel had 18 TO in 18 minutes per game. By your definition, Manuel was a worse turnover machine at the end of last season.

AZGrizFan said:
DPGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Timmy only had 59 turnovers last season. In the conference season he had a nearly 2:1 Assist to Turnover ratio with 47 assists and only 25 turnovers in 20 games. I'm not sure where this narrative of Timmy as a turnover machine comes from. Yes he plays with a lot of emotion and high energy, but he does a better job at keeping that in check than some people on this board give him credit for.

Let's also remember that these guys aren't finished products as soon as they step on to campus. They're young men who are still growing and maturing everyday, both physically and mentally.

I would contend that with Timmy, often it isn't the number of turnovers, but rather the magnitude. He can turn it over in rather spectacular fashion sometimes, making them memorable.

But in nearly every instance, that's while trying to make a spectacular play, so it's forgivable. My only coaching to him would be to remember that a spectacular play isn't necessary when a good play will yield the same result.

EverettGriz said:
I would contend that with Timmy, often it isn't the number of turnovers, but rather the magnitude. He can turn it over in rather spectacular fashion sometimes, making them memorable.

But in nearly every instance, that's while trying to make a spectacular play, so it's forgivable. My only coaching to him would be to remember that a spectacular play isn't necessary when a good play will yield the same result.

I agree, sometimes he swings for the fences when all you need is an opposite field base hit. But when he makes that pass resulting in a rim rattling slam it gets the bulding and the bench on their feet and pumped up. Plays that people will remember later on. It's what makes watching games fun and I can always use a little fun.

Hoops watcher said:
EverettGriz said:

I agree, sometimes he swings for the fences when all you need is an opposite field base hit. But when he makes that pass resulting in a rim rattling slam it gets the bulding and the bench on their feet and pumped up. Plays that people will remember later on. It's what makes watching games fun and I can always use a little fun.

Agree. Nothing is better than fun!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

PlayerRep said:
DPGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Nope, you are wrong. In the last 10 games of last season, when he averaged 22 minutes per game, he averaged 1.5 TO per game. Had 15 in 10 games. Had zero TO against Michigan in 28 minutes.

Sorry, but 1.5 TO per game, is very good, especially against mostly good competition and in important games.

By my count, by comparison in last 10 games, Manuel had 18 TO in 18 minutes per game. By your definition, Manuel was a worse turnover machine at the end of last season.

13 TOs in his last 6 games (ya know, the time frame that you initially said) but I guess now you want to talk the last 10 after actually looking at how he finished the season. Before that 6 game stretch he did have a pretty nice stretch of protecting the ball better but it has been an issue more often than not for him until recently. Manuel did turn the ball over too much at the end of the year so no, I won't be defending that.

AZGrizFan said:
DPGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

That's all well and good but what do the announcers on TruTv think?

DPGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
DPGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

That's all well and good but what do the announcers on TruTv think?

Timmy was a huge factor in Griz winning the conference and tournament last year. Timmy brings all the intangibles that can't be measured by any stats. Confidence and competitiveness and as Coach Cobb said he loves the program. That stuff rubs off on everyone else. I think he comes back from this injury if it is at all possible. He is pound for pound the toughest player on the court every night.

DPGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
DPGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

13 TOs in his last 6 games (ya know, the time frame that you initially said) but I guess now you want to talk the last 10 after actually looking at how he finished the season. Before that 6 game stretch he did have a pretty nice stretch of protecting the ball better but it has been an issue more often than not for him until recently. Manuel did turn the ball over too much at the end of the year so no, I won't be defending that.

You just can't admit that your statement was wrong. 2 TO per game in very tough games and 26 minutes our game and O in 28 minutes against Michigan, is not a turnover machine either. Nor is 59 in 33 games.

The topic was turnover machine, not too many turnovers.

You need to either quit being biased, or learn the game.

PlayerRep said:
DPGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
DPGriz said:

You just can't admit that your statement was wrong. 2 TO per game in very tough games and 26 minutes our game and O in 28 minutes against Michigan, is not a turnover machine either. Nor is 59 in 33 games.

I'd love to learn the game, specifically can you teach me what "the last 5 or 6 games" are?

DPGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
DPGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

I'd love to learn the game, specifically can you teach me what "the last 5 or 6 games" are?

The last 5 or 6 games were when he started, and his minutes were high. The last 10 games were when his minutes increased, from 5 in the prior game, started with the Cat game, were when he started playing well, and were the last month of the season.

Can you explain this statement of yours?

"He was still a turnover machine at the end of last season."

Was that the Michigan game when he had no TO? That was the end of the season.

Was it the 10 games when he had 1.5 per game?

Was it the last 6 when he had 2 per game?

What is your definition of turnover machine?

PlayerRep said:
DPGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
DPGriz said:

The last 5 or 6 games were when he started, and his minutes were high. The last 10 games were when his minutes increased, from 5 in the prior game, started with the Cat game, were when he started playing well, and were the last month of the season.

Last 5 games: 26 mpg 11 turnovers 10 assists

Last 10 games: 22 mpg 15 turnovers 16 assists

Pick whatever descriptor you want over that period, I'm much happier with his 2020 Big Sky line of 31 mpg, 3.0 assist, 1.2 TOs.

DPGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
DPGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Last 5 games: 26 mpg 11 turnovers 10 assists

Last 10 games: 22 mpg 15 turnovers 16 assists

Pick whatever descriptor you want over that period, I'm much happier with his 2020 Big Sky line of 31 mpg, 3.0 assist, 1.2 TOs.

None of those equal a "turnover machine". Why can't you just admit that you were incorrect?

Travis wouldn't have been starting and increasing the minutes of a turnover machine.

Everyone prefers less turnovers. No turnovers in 28 minutes against Michigan was literally the end of the season. That's damn good.

UM has a player with 82 TO, including 29 TO in the last 9 games. Is he a turnover machine?

Manuel has 11 TO in last 6 games. TO machine?

Vasquez had 16 TO in first 6 games. TO machine?

NorthEndZoneDan said:
has there been any word on Timmy's injury?
Coach said on the coaches show that Timmy could play tonight (Monday)...might've been playing it close or gamesmanship. Don't know...

Back