• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stedman Leaving

citay said:
You can't coach energy.

You can recruit it! And reward it! This guy showed bad language and limited energy pretty much every time he hit the floor!

But who started? Anderson shows continual energy on the court and from the bench. But gets nearly shut out of PT by this guy!

Mousegriz said:
citay said:
You can't coach energy.
You can recruit it! And reward it! This guy showed bad language and limited energy pretty much every time he hit the floor!

But who started? Anderson shows continual energy on the court and from the bench. But gets nearly shut out of PT by this guy!
Well, not any more. ;)

Or can he stay on the roster and play if the coach allows it? My understanding is that, at most places, the player is off the roster as soon as he/she goes into the portal. That may not be a rule ... but who would keep a player who says he/she wants out?

One part of the rule is clear: The school can stop aid at the end of the term in which the request was granted.

IdaGriz01 said:
Mousegriz said:

Well, not any more. ;)

Or can he stay on the roster and play if the coach allows it? My understanding is that, at most places, the player is off the roster as soon as he/she goes into the portal. That may not be a rule ... but who would keep a player who says he/she wants out?

One part of the rule is clear: The school can stop aid at the end of the term in which the request was granted.

The guy quit on his coach and his teammates for the second time in 2 years. Coach has shown him the door he wanted out of. Your understanding is correct.

Placed such an important stamp on Griz basketball the post saying he's gone misspelled his last name!

IdaGriz01 said:
Mousegriz said:

Well, not any more. ;)

He is already removed from the roster.

HookedonGriz said:
I think any reasonable fan who watched a lot of Griz basketball this season could see this coming from a mile away. That guy is having some really awful body language in every game is played. You can almost see him not even wanting to be there. I am not surprised that he is moving on, and unfortunately I don’t think we will miss him that terribly.

You could see it from the first game though not seeing live games it was less apparent. For what ever reason his concentration seemed elsewhere. He had a few stretches where he was effective and went after some boards but the fight just wasn't there.

mtgrizrule said:
Big Sage said:
My folks asked me on Saturday how much I would pay to attend one game this year. I said I really don’t feel like going. I don’t want to go unless it’s the “whole show.” I want it packed, loud, the band, cheerleaders, etc.
I don’t see any fire in this team. I don’t see a true leader. I just see them going through the motions because they have to be there.
To me it seems like a boring team. We don’t dunk, we don’t shoot 3’s, we just don’t have an identity.
I’m just not excited this year

This team has potential leaders. Unfortunately, they're too inexperienced in leading. In my opinion, Owens already leads by example. He's just not vociferous. DCH has the toughness and make up to be a leader. Then, all of our guards are capable of leading. Hard to expect true Freshmen and Sophomore guards to be leaders though. I'm sure, 1 will step up though. Right now, I'd subtly put that expectation on Owens and DCH.

Hopefully, they'll step up and emerge like Pridgett did at the end of his Sophomore season.

I think DJ will end up being that :glue guy". His hand and concussion issues have probably hurt more than people realize, IMO.

fanofzoo said:
maroonandsilver said:
I'm more than tired of he whole transfer thing, but I know it is here too stay and probably will even more the norm. Steadman and Satterwhite transfer to Montana because they are unhappy at their schools. They both transfer out, because they are unhappy at Montana. They will be replaced by guys presently unhappy at their schools.

OUCH but true

A definite drawback to the transfer carousel. Can see why they wanted some experienced guys, Parker has been terriffic (and I was a skeptic on him at first).

https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/1362138009122967552?s=20
https://twitter.com/ShaunRainey/status/1362138052483633156
Here's a thread from Decuire's press conference regarding transferring as a whole in the landscape of college basketball. Well worth the watch.

To the point....I have no questions.

WOW the stats about % of players !

There has to be a backlash to the portal coming.

fanofzoo said:
To the point....I have no questions.

WOW the stats about % of players !

There has to be a backlash to the portal coming.

When the Dukes, Kansas', NCs and SEC teams can't keep players then, and only then, will real reform take hold. The one and dones, thanks to overzealous alumni and boosters have coaches looking over their shoulders. College basketball is now a business and that means it will lose more than it gains over time. Things were better when freshman were confined to their teams and developed over the year and the upper classmen had to play and go to school but now, it is a free for all, which is nice if you are a top tier player or school but for the vast majority, it is not so good. It isnt going to change until the top conferences get hit by "mid majors" consistently. Until then, I like watching UM's frosh and sophs play. They don't win as many as we would like but they are exciting players and what more can you ask for at Mont. We are a small fish in a big pond..

fanofzoo said:
If I have to accept the portal then I want the word commit dropped.
Totally agree. "Commitment" is hardly even a concept any more ... and that's not just among athletes.

Hoops watcher said:
fanofzoo said:
OUCH but true

A definite drawback to the transfer carousel. Can see why they wanted some experienced guys, Parker has been terriffic (and I was a skeptic on him at first).

This is a point that's being missed in all the transfer talk. Cam Parker came into a situation where the team is utterly loaded at the guard position. He's sharing time as a junior transfer with freshman and sophomores. He's probably not getting the minutes that he hoped for coming in, but he seems to have bought in to his roll and is willing to share time with the younger guys. On the surface, he appears to be a transfer thats working out very well for the Griz.

I don't know if we've seen enough of Henderson to make a call on him. It was nice to see him on the floor last night, and maybe he'll make the most of his opportunity to back fill Steadman's minutes. If he sticks with the program, he'll have two more years to develop, and who knows what can happen between now and then. As Travis mentioned in his press conference, sometimes you have to allow the process to happen.

Kudo's to the majority of the roster that have stayed committed during a difficult year for Griz Basketball.

Back