• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stedman Leaving

mtgrizrule said:
I'm not surprised. As others have posted, something seemed off this season. Not only with Steadman, but the perimeter players and paint players just aren't on the same page very often. That is regardless of who is in the post on offense.

The timing of this is absolutely horrible. Let's hope this brings team unity. Anderson is more than capable defensively and rebounding. Offense is icing on the cake from him. His problem is foul trouble. It's frustrating for Anderson. I watch him his fouls closely. He gets a lot of nit picky calls against him. Somehow, he's got a reputation with officials. He might actually be more productive with post season officiating.

I hope, this opens minutes for Henderson. He looks the part of an inside presence. If he doesn't see increased minutes, safe to assume, he's likely done.

Owens can defend finesse bigs. He's not strong enough to defend big strong low posts. He's solid on the boards for his build.

DCH isn't tall, but he is strong, versatile, and has long arms. I actually think, he might be our best paint low post defender.

Bannan is a solid team help defender in the paint. He's not yet strong enough to consistently defend post up players.

What to do? Spread the damn floor on offense. Use a lot of cuts, to wear down opposing paint players and open the lane for penetration. Also, utilize more high post plays. Owens, DCH, and Bannan can all be high post, perimeter, and penetrsting threats. Even difficult match ups for bigger post defenders. As for paint defense, have Anderson be more of a zone defender. Use Henderson as a true low post defender and limit his perimeter defense.

Offensively we need to become more reliant on ball movement, dribble penetration, and 3 point shooting. I actually think, our personnel is more suited for that anyway.

DeCuire and staff will have to get creative in offensive and defensive schemes. Hard to believe, at the end of last season, the plan was to transition to this being a Steadman and Gaskin led team. Now, they're both gone. Both transfers too.

On the bright side, he was graduating. We transition without him earlier, a head start on next season, if you will.

Good post

mtgrizrule said:
I'm not surprised. As others have posted, something seemed off this season. Not only with Steadman, but the perimeter players and paint players just aren't on the same page very often. That is regardless of who is in the post on offense.

The timing of this is absolutely horrible. Let's hope this brings team unity. Anderson is more than capable defensively and rebounding. Offense is icing on the cake from him. His problem is foul trouble. It's frustrating for Anderson. I watch him his fouls closely. He gets a lot of nit picky calls against him. Somehow, he's got a reputation with officials. He might actually be more productive with post season officiating.

I hope, this opens minutes for Henderson. He looks the part of an inside presence. If he doesn't see increased minutes, safe to assume, he's likely done.

Owens can defend finesse bigs. He's not strong enough to defend big strong low posts. He's solid on the boards for his build.

DCH isn't tall, but he is strong, versatile, and has long arms. I actually think, he might be our best paint low post defender.

Bannan is a solid team help defender in the paint. He's not yet strong enough to consistently defend post up players.

What to do? Spread the damn floor on offense. Use a lot of cuts, to wear down opposing paint players and open the lane for penetration. Also, utilize more high post plays. Owens, DCH, and Bannan can all be high post, perimeter, and penetrsting threats. Even difficult match ups for bigger post defenders. As for paint defense, have Anderson be more of a zone defender. Use Henderson as a true low post defender and limit his perimeter defense.

Offensively we need to become more reliant on ball movement, dribble penetration, and 3 point shooting. I actually think, our personnel is more suited for that anyway.

DeCuire and staff will have to get creative in offensive and defensive schemes. Hard to believe, at the end of last season, the plan was to transition to this being a Steadman and Gaskin led team. Now, they're both gone. Both transfers too.

On the bright side, he was graduating. We transition without him earlier, a head start on next season, if you will.
He would have been eligible next season given this is a "free" year. Now he will be eligible somewhere else.

My folks asked me on Saturday how much I would pay to attend one game this year. I said I really don’t feel like going. I don’t want to go unless it’s the “whole show.” I want it packed, loud, the band, cheerleaders, etc.
I don’t see any fire in this team. I don’t see a true leader. I just see them going through the motions because they have to be there.
To me it seems like a boring team. We don’t dunk, we don’t shoot 3’s, we just don’t have an identity.
I’m just not excited this year

Big Sage said:
My folks asked me on Saturday how much I would pay to attend one game this year. I said I really don’t feel like going. I don’t want to go unless it’s the “whole show.” I want it packed, loud, the band, cheerleaders, etc.
I don’t see any fire in this team. I don’t see a true leader. I just see them going through the motions because they have to be there.
To me it seems like a boring team. We don’t dunk, we don’t shoot 3’s, we just don’t have an identity.
I’m just not excited this year

This team has potential leaders. Unfortunately, they're too inexperienced in leading. In my opinion, Owens already leads by example. He's just not vociferous. DCH has the toughness and make up to be a leader. Then, all of our guards are capable of leading. Hard to expect true Freshmen and Sophomore guards to be leaders though. I'm sure, 1 will step up though. Right now, I'd subtly put that expectation on Owens and DCH.

Hopefully, they'll step up and emerge like Pridgett did at the end of his Sophomore season.

So let’s pack up our tent and head for the door. OR we can be supportive of our team and not dwell on the negative. As forum fans we think we have the right to tear down, criticize and pretty much tell the coaches how to run their programs. If you want to enjoy that privilege then pony up. Put your money where your mouth is boys. No one works harder at his craft than Travis DeCuire.

We get up, we go to work and then at night we feel it’s our duty to correct the wrongs of the world. It just ain’t so. Social media has put everyone under the microscope and there are bigger issues to deal with than our starting center entering the transfer portal. This has been a difficult year especially in collegiate sports.

It’s time to be supportive, we have 6 games left before the tournament. I think we have a chance to win at least 5 of those.

mtgrizrule said:

Gaskin didn’t transfer out of the program. Or did you mean transfer in to UM?

Sport said:
So let’s pack up our tent and head for the door. OR we can be supportive of our team and not dwell on the negative. As forum fans we think we have the right to tear down, criticize and pretty much tell the coaches how to run their programs. If you want to enjoy that privilege then pony up. Put your money where your mouth is boys. No one works harder at his craft than Travis DeCuire.

We get up, we go to work and then at night we feel it’s our duty to correct the wrongs of the world. It just ain’t so. Social media has put everyone under the microscope and there are bigger issues to deal with than our starting center entering the transfer portal. This has been a difficult year especially in collegiate sports.

It’s time to be supportive, we have 6 games left before the tournament. I think we have a chance to win at least 5 of those.

There’s no place for reality checks on a fan forum. :cool:

Well in reading the Missoulian article this morning - he lost 50 lbs going into the season because of the strength and conditioning coach. WHY? I could see it if we were a fast breaking team but unfortunately we are not and will never be with this coaching staff. Sure would have liked to have seen Stedman with 50+ pounds on him to start the season! My 2 pennys.

PeauxRouge said:
mtgrizrule said:

Gaskin didn’t transfer out of the program. Or did you mean transfer in to UM?

To Montana

Dillon said:
Well in reading the Missoulian article this morning - he lost 50 lbs going into the season because of the strength and conditioning coach. WHY? I could see it if we were a fast breaking team but unfortunately we are not and will never be with this coaching staff. Sure would have liked to have seen Stedman with 50+ pounds on him to start the season! My 2 pennys.

If you had seen the before and after pictures of him, you would not have wanted him to add fifty pounds. I wish him well in the future!

GrizWhiz said:
Dillon said:
If you had seen the before and after pictures of him, you would not have wanted him to add fifty pounds. I wish him well in the future!
Probably not 50 pounds. However, he could definitely use another 15 or so. As I said on an earlier post, he cannot hold his own inside at his current weight (and strength). During my "Steadman highlight" search, I watched chunky guys who were 3-4 inches shorter literally walk him out of the paint.

IdaGriz01 said:
GrizWhiz said:
Probably not 50 pounds. However, he could definitely use another 15 or so. As I said on an earlier post, he cannot hold his own inside at his current weight (and strength). During my "Steadman highlight" search, I watched chunky guys who were 3-4 inches shorter literally walk him out of the paint.

Yes to all but it starts with attitude, Bannan, DH , Mac and Owens , they have it.
The best are still the big boys from the Salvic countries, attitude.

IdaGriz01 said:
GrizWhiz said:

The weight is immaterial based on his finesse style of play. Steadman would be better served working on his quickness and court awareness.

grizindabox said:
IdaGriz01 said:
The weight is immaterial based on his finesse style of play. Steadman would be better served working on his quickness and court awareness.
Respectfully disagree with such a strong term. Heft may of lesser importance for a "finesse" player, but it is not immaterial in today's game. Right now, refs seldom (if ever) call that little hip check that throws the opponent off his stride. (Not to mention the carefully-hidden forearm in the back, etc, etc.) So quickness only goes so far in keeping a stronger guy from walking you out of the paint, bumping you out of your shooting rhythm, and winning the position battle on rebounds.

We are, however, in total agreement on the "court awareness" point. That he needs to improve, although he's not terrible at it. But too many times, he seemed to be at a loss as to who might come open for a quick dish out. Some on here have complained that the other Griz players aren't moving enough on the outside to get open. There may be some truth to that, but it could be a "chicken or the egg" kind of thing. If the outside guys lack confidence that the inside man will get them the ball, there's less incentive to work hard to get open.

IdaGriz01 said:
grizindabox said:
Respectfully disagree with such a strong term. Heft may of lesser importance for a "finesse" player, but it is not immaterial in today's game. Right now, refs seldom (if ever) call that little hip check that throws the opponent off his stride. (Not to mention the carefully-hidden forearm in the back, etc, etc.) So quickness only goes so far in keeping a stronger guy from walking you out of the paint, bumping you out of your shooting rhythm, and winning the position battle on rebounds.

We are, however, in total agreement on the "court awareness" point. That he needs to improve, although he's not terrible at it. But too many times, he seemed to be at a loss as to who might come open for a quick dish out. Some on here have complained that the other Griz players aren't moving enough on the outside to get open. There may be some truth to that, but it could be a "chicken or the egg" kind of thing. If the outside guys lack confidence that the inside man will get them the ball, there's less incentive to work hard to get open.

I just don't see Steadman as the guy fighting for the space even if he puts on some weight. His best bet is to get there first and put the pressure on the other guy. He is just not the guy if you are looking at someone to body up on the post. This is why for a finesse guy, his lack of court vision is so perplexing as 8/10 times he touches the ball on the post he would be pushing it back out to shooters since if he can't get a quick move to score, he is not the guy that is going to be aggressive and body up. He should never have the ball in his hands very long.

grizindabox said:
I just don't see Steadman as the guy fighting for the space even if he puts on some weight. His best bet is to get there first and put the pressure on the other guy. He is just not the guy if you are looking at someone to body up on the post. This is why for a finesse guy, his lack of court vision is so perplexing as 8/10 times he touches the ball on the post he would be pushing it back out to shooters since if he can't get a quick move to score, he is not the guy that is going to be aggressive and body up. He should never have the ball in his hands very long.
As far as the weight goes, it's not so much about fighting to get inside space and body up, it's about keeping it when he "gets there first." Another 10-15 pounds would help with that, and shouldn't hamper his quickness or finesse all that much. But if he can't (won't?) be aggressive on the inside when he has the ball, then your last statement is spot on. Shoot quick or kick it out.

Still, all that being said, he was certainly a solid contributor (2nd in rebounds, 3rd in scoring). And, despite getting pushed around, his finesse made him an excellent shooter: best among the starters at 54.8% on field goals. Not many assists, however, and did not draw many fouls (a bit over 2 per game).

As a side issue: If he has any notions of playing in the NBA, he will certainly have to bulk up, and learn to be more aggressive. There, he'd be regularly mugged by big dudes who can easily match him in finesse. And, if anything, the international game is even more brutal.

IdaGriz01 said:
grizindabox said:
As far as the weight goes, it's not so much about fighting to get inside space and body up, it's about keeping it when he "gets there first." Another 10-15 pounds would help with that, and shouldn't hamper his quickness or finesse all that much. But if he can't (won't?) be aggressive on the inside when he has the ball, then your last statement is spot on. Shoot quick or kick it out.

Still, all that being said, he was certainly a solid contributor (2nd in rebounds, 3rd in scoring). And, despite getting pushed around, his finesse made him an excellent shooter: best among the starters at 54.8% on field goals. Not many assists, however, and did not draw many fouls (a bit over 2 per game).

And the most turnovers on the team thru 19 games.

I'm more than tired of he whole transfer thing, but I know it is here too stay and probably will even more the norm. Steadman and Satterwhite transfer to Montana because they are unhappy at their schools. They both transfer out, because they are unhappy at Montana. They will be replaced by guys presently unhappy at their schools.

maroonandsilver said:
I'm more than tired of he whole transfer thing, but I know it is here too stay and probably will even more the norm. Steadman and Satterwhite transfer to Montana because they are unhappy at their schools. They both transfer out, because they are unhappy at Montana. They will be replaced by guys presently unhappy at their schools.

OUCH but true

IdaGriz01 said:
grizindabox said:

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

Back