• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stedman Leaving

Well so here’s another question for everyone. This may or may not be a culture problem, rather it could just be that Decuire saw raw talent in these guys as opposed to guys who are actually a good fit for the system we run. So which is true? Is there a culture problem, or are these guys just not panning out in Decuires system?

grizindabox said:
Grizfan-24 said:
I asked this question on twitter and I'll ask it here:

If this was the womens program last year and it was Schweyen, we would be clamoring about the culture of the program and the concerns about the staff. At what point do those questions about the women's program, become questions about the mens program?

There is just something off about this team this year. I wonder how much you can consistently place upon players. Again, just a question.

I think that as of now, TD still gets some benefit of the doubt that Schweyen didn't get just based on past results. A more telling story may reveal itself if members of the young core of this team start to look elsewhere after the season.

I agree with that sentiment. Travis has earned some leeway but there probably should be some concern with the leadership at this point. It’s such a weird year, though, that it’s hard to put a lot of stock in anything right now.

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Too much criticism on egriz?

If so it further confirms lack of any toughness. This staff invested a lot on this under performer. They better learn how to recruit some size that stays and plays. I'm no coach or scout but it took just a few minutes of watching this guy to sense he was not a "big" and was way overhyped. GRIZ DO NOT HAVE ONE D1 POWER FORWARD OR CENTER ON THEIR ROSTER . LETS START A 6'2" AND UNDER LEAGUE!!

I won't get into an argument with you but I absolutely disagree with you that we don't have a D1 power forward or center on our roster. Josh Bannan will prove you wrong as he gains more strength and experience. In my opinion he already is a good defender and will only get better with time on both offense and defense. I also think DCH and Kyle Owens both qualify as power forwards and they are certainly more than capable and they too will prove you wrong.

Steadman’s body language on Saturday indicated he was checked out. No surprise. We may be more successful with a 3-4 guard offense, with Bannan, DCH, Owens and Anderson alternating at the four spots.

Griz til I die said:
Well so here’s another question for everyone. This may or may not be a culture problem, rather it could just be that Decuire saw raw talent in these guys as opposed to guys who are actually a good fit for the system we run. So which is true? Is there a culture problem, or are these guys just not panning out in Decuires system?

TDC has been chasing a big man through the transfer market rather consistently over the past three or four years and to this point he's 0 for all of them. Big men are notoriously hard to recruit and if Travis's weak spot is there. Akoh was the last guy he brought in that semi-worked. He has had nearly no success in bringing HS big men in recent years, and continuously scraping the bargain bin of D1 transfers obviously isn't working either.

Hard to imagine that a double-double guy would come in and flame out the way Steadman did.
He just wasn't as good as he was at his prior stop and he clearly didn't fit with what Travis wanted from him. Again that has to work both ways, because there was clearly something Steadman wasn't getting from the coaching staff that had made him successful elsewhere.

We have all heard that Travis is a program culture guy and he doesn't have patience for guys who won't buy in to his ethos. That has to be super fatiguing on players and I have heard as much. When you win, you are willing to ignore such things and the noise gets a bit louder when the team struggles as much as it has this year.

Grizfan-24 said:

If this was the womens program last year and it was Schweyen, we would be clamoring about the culture of the program and the concerns about the staff. At what point do those questions about the women's program, become questions about the mens program?

There is just something off about this team this year. I wonder how much you can consistently place upon players. Again, just a question.

But the women’s team was in disarray for years, multiple seasons in a row under Schweyen. Having one “weird” season under Travis is not the same, not even close. Now if this continues for 3 season straight then that's different. Something hasn’t been right with Steadman for a while now. Was easy to see....body language was as bad as it gets....seemed like he didn’t want to to be on the court. Personally I think he played “soft” but I also think some of it was him not wanting to be a part of this team. This happened well before Weber....even before Mack started in front if him that game. Something just seemed off.

Colter just said on the show he’s not surprised by this. He said he hasn’t been happy for a while, and you wonder if his attitude has been holding the team back. Interested to see how we respond without him on Thursday.

Bummer, I wonder if him dropping all that weight affected his performance. This will be a year to forget for more than one reason. At this point just run all 5 guards and see what happens. Wish Akoh could play another year :)

HookedonGriz said:
Grizfan-24 said:

But the women’s team was in disarray for years, multiple seasons in a row under Schweyen. Having one “weird” season under Travis is not the same, not even close. Now if this continues for 3 season straight then that's different. Something hasn’t been right with Steadman for a while now. Was easy to see....body language was as bad as it gets....seemed like he didn’t want to to be on the court. Personally I think he played “soft” but I also think some of it was him not wanting to be a part of this team. This happened well before Weber....even before Mack started in front if him that game. Something just seemed off.

We are on the same page. There is something weird about this year. There is just something off in general about the demeanor this year. Steadman's body language was brutal on Saturday and there were a few other players that exhibited similar detachment at times over the year. Just a weird vibe for a weird season.

Travis style of methodical half court basketball and complete control of every set is not an attractive style for most players. Most players these days want transition and pump threes. It’s kind of head scratching trying to understand why Griz are so small and weak inside yet hardly attempt threes compared to most programs.

There also seems to be no continuity from game to game playing time. Every time I think a player is turning the corner, has a good game and plays a lot seems to be shut out the next game with very little PT... It seems as though he wants no one to be comfortable which I get, it’s a style, however it is very hard to gain confidence as a player

Grizfan-24 said:
Hard to imagine that a double-double guy would come in and flame out the way Steadman did.
He just wasn't as good as he was at his prior stop and he clearly didn't fit with what Travis wanted from him. Again that has to work both ways, because there was clearly something Steadman wasn't getting from the coaching staff that had made him successful elsewhere.

Steadman's game ended up not being cohesive with what TD wants on the offensive end. Steadman is a finesse player that struggled with the inside/outside part of the game. TD wants someone more aggressive under the hoop with much better court awareness to swing that ball to the open shooters.

Grizfan-24 said:
HookedonGriz said:

We are on the same page. There is something weird about this year. There is just something off in general about the demeanor this year. Steadman's body language was brutal on Saturday and there were a few other players that exhibited similar detachment at times over the year. Just a weird vibe for a weird season.

FWIW a Duke player just quit today as well. Life in general is just super weird right now. And it must be especially hard for student-athletes. Not justifying anything or giving anyone a pass, but just something to keep in mind. School-weights-practice-study hall-home is likely a miserable life. Athletes are strict no party guidelines. Add on to that if a player doesn’t feel he is playing enough or up to his standards or a team not performing up to expectations it is easy to understand. Many haven’t seen their families nearly enough.

Put together a sort of Griz "Steadman highlights" by calling up videos of a few old games. To my mind, he needs to bulk up by at least 10 pounds, maybe even 20. Most guys, at his height in their JR or SR year, weigh in at 230-240. (Yes, I checked some rosters of mid-major teams.)

Some remarks on eGriz indicate that Steadman has lost a lot of weight (some others think too much). If he had to lose that much to fit in with TC's approach ... then so be it. But he's just not big and strong enough to hold his own inside at that weight. Rock and a hard place.

Griz til I die said:
Colter just said on the show he’s not surprised by this. He said he hasn’t been happy for a while, and you wonder if his attitude has been holding the team back. Interested to see how we respond without him on Thursday.

I think Mac will bring the energy we need at that spot and that will rub off to the others. Hustle is worth points.

wyomingriz said:
Travis style of methodical half court basketball and complete control of every set is not an attractive style for most players. Most players these days want transition and pump threes. It’s kind of head scratching trying to understand why Griz are so small and weak inside yet hardly attempt threes compared to most programs.

There also seems to be no continuity from game to game playing time. Every time I think a player is turning the corner, has a good game and plays a lot seems to be shut out the next game with very little PT... It seems as though he wants no one to be comfortable which I get, it’s a style, however it is very hard to gain confidence as a player

Too many good players ?

fanofzoo said:
Griz til I die said:

I think Mac will bring the energy we need at that spot and that will rub off to the others. Hustle is worth points.

Mac is really good at cleaning up the boards and loose balls near the rim. I'm excited to see what he can do with expanded minutes. This is all conditional on if he can stay out of foul trouble, of course.

Griz1 said:
Mousegriz said:
If so it further confirms lack of any toughness. This staff invested a lot on this under performer. They better learn how to recruit some size that stays and plays. I'm no coach or scout but it took just a few minutes of watching this guy to sense he was not a "big" and was way overhyped. GRIZ DO NOT HAVE ONE D1 POWER FORWARD OR CENTER ON THEIR ROSTER . LETS START A 6'2" AND UNDER LEAGUE!!

I won't get into an argument with you but I absolutely disagree with you that we don't have a D1 power forward or center on our roster. Josh Bannan will prove you wrong as he gains more strength and experience. In my opinion he already is a good defender and will only get better with time on both offense and defense. I also think DCH and Kyle Owens both qualify as power forwards and they are certainly more than capable and they too will prove you wrong.

I agree Bannan a true frosh with lots of upside. But he DCH and Owens are not "big" men. Which one of these three has the ability to defend a big guy?

PeauxRouge said:
fanofzoo said:

Mac is really good at cleaning up the boards and loose balls near the rim. I'm excited to see what he can do with expanded minutes. This is all conditional on if he can stay out of foul trouble, of course.

of course

I saw Mac down court on a fast break, scored.

GrizBall said:
Grizfan-24 said:

FWIW a Duke player just quit today as well. Life in general is just super weird right now. And it must be especially hard for student-athletes. Not justifying anything or giving anyone a pass, but just something to keep in mind. School-weights-practice-study hall-home is likely a miserable life. Athletes are strict no party guidelines. Add on to that if a player doesn’t feel he is playing enough or up to his standards or a team not performing up to expectations it is easy to understand. Many haven’t seen their families nearly enough.

This is dead on. This year in general is just kind of a wash in college athletics. They all get another year of eligibility. So I think play these young guys and let er rip. See what we got and give them a chance to form a team bond. i am happy for Mack. He wants to be here and he plays like that. Steadman is a good player and I wish him luck. It is what it is.

I'm not surprised. As others have posted, something seemed off this season. Not only with Steadman, but the perimeter players and paint players just aren't on the same page very often. That is regardless of who is in the post on offense.

The timing of this is absolutely horrible. Let's hope this brings team unity. Anderson is more than capable defensively and rebounding. Offense is icing on the cake from him. His problem is foul trouble. It's frustrating for Anderson. I watch him his fouls closely. He gets a lot of nit picky calls against him. Somehow, he's got a reputation with officials. He might actually be more productive with post season officiating.

I hope, this opens minutes for Henderson. He looks the part of an inside presence. If he doesn't see increased minutes, safe to assume, he's likely done.

Owens can defend finesse bigs. He's not strong enough to defend big strong low posts. He's solid on the boards for his build.

DCH isn't tall, but he is strong, versatile, and has long arms. I actually think, he might be our best paint low post defender.

Bannan is a solid team help defender in the paint. He's not yet strong enough to consistently defend post up players.

What to do? Spread the damn floor on offense. Use a lot of cuts, to wear down opposing paint players and open the lane for penetration. Also, utilize more high post plays. Owens, DCH, and Bannan can all be high post, perimeter, and penetrsting threats. Even difficult match ups for bigger post defenders. As for paint defense, have Anderson be more of a zone defender. Use Henderson as a true low post defender and limit his perimeter defense.

Offensively we need to become more reliant on ball movement, dribble penetration, and 3 point shooting. I actually think, our personnel is more suited for that anyway.

DeCuire and staff will have to get creative in offensive and defensive schemes. Hard to believe, at the end of last season, the plan was to transition to this being a Steadman and Gaskin led team. Now, they're both gone. Both transfers too.

On the bright side, he was graduating. We transition without him earlier, a head start on next season, if you will.

Back