• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Camp Wrap-up - by position

krammer said:
thanks b/w for your insight.....how is the Wheeler Harris kid in practice ? i know he is new to the system and learning, but looks like a gamer at least in the spring game.......maybe he is our third qb and Graves can go to running back or linebacker......not sure Graves is the answer at qb in future...your thoughts.

Yeah... Tough to say. Harris looks like he needs years of work/progression. I don't see it yet on a consistent basis, but I've had a crazy spring and missed a lot of practices. His TD to Toure looked nice on the broadcast, hit him in stride. Many of his other passes, like what I saw from the 2nd scrimmage, are high/wobbly passes where you probably need to credit the WR for making an adjustment on it more than the QB. But it's a pretty small sample size of stuff I saw from him.

My read is the coaches want Graves to be the 3rd string guy. Just not sure how that'll pan out though.

BWahlberg said:
krammer said:
thanks b/w for your insight.....how is the Wheeler Harris kid in practice ? i know he is new to the system and learning, but looks like a gamer at least in the spring game.......maybe he is our third qb and Graves can go to running back or linebacker......not sure Graves is the answer at qb in future...your thoughts.

Yeah... Tough to say. Harris looks like he needs years of work/progression. I don't see it yet on a consistent basis, but I've had a crazy spring and missed a lot of practices. His TD to Toure looked nice on the broadcast, hit him in stride. Many of his other passes, like what I saw from the 2nd scrimmage, are high/wobbly passes where you probably need to credit the WR for making an adjustment on it more than the QB. But it's a pretty small sample size of stuff I saw from him.

My read is the coaches want Graves to be the 3rd string guy. Just not sure how that'll pan out though.

thanks b/w.....

The new RB, Knight, looks explosive and could be a big impact player. Look to have a good one there for sure.

Any sign of the linebacker from Pennsylvania who played for Episcopal Academy and the one-armed player who came in with high potential?

66volvo said:
Any sign of the linebacker from Pennsylvania who played for Episcopal Academy and the one-armed player who came in with high potential?

The one armed kid is in this class won’t be here until fall. Mamula I have no idea maybe still recovering from his injury.

grizfan1984 said:
66volvo said:

The one armed kid is in this class won’t be here until fall. Mamula I have no idea maybe still recovering from his injury.

He isn't one armed he is missing one hand.

Good insightful recap, but you failed to mention Gabe Peppenger - Who I think made every FG he attempted. Did you confuse Purdy with Peppenger? I think Purdy only kicked extra points...

Griz1 said:
grizfan1984 said:
66volvo said:

He isn't one armed he is missing one hand.

Mamula is supposed to be 100% this fall, so I’ve heard on eGriz.

grizfan1984 said:
66volvo said:

could also try using his name. and if you don't know his name you could describe like you did the linebacker from pennsylvania. calling him "the one armed kid" is ignorant as fuck.

smarsh said:
grizfan1984 said:
66volvo said:

could also try using his name. and if you don't know his name you could describe like you did the linebacker from pennsylvania. calling him "the one armed kid" is ignorant as f***.

His name is Alex Hurlburt and he is from Salem, Oregon. The staff is very high on him.

Smarsh you hit it on the head. Griz1, you must be a diplomat.
Takes just a little bit of effort to come up with his name. Only 26 recruits, read the Bio's and take a guess, a sophisticated wild assed guess. Then Google the name to check your deductive capabilities. One armed guy. :roll:

Griz1 said:
smarsh said:
grizfan1984 said:
66volvo said:

could also try using his name. and if you don't know his name you could describe like you did the linebacker from pennsylvania. calling him "the one armed kid" is ignorant as f***.

His name is Alex Hurlburt and he is from Salem, Oregon. The staff is very high on him.

Kids going to be a monster.

bgbigdog said:
Griz1 said:
smarsh said:
grizfan1984 said:

Kids going to be a monster. I won’t be surprised to see him this season given all the trouble they’ve had generating pass rush pressure the past few seasons.

KILO217 said:
Good insightful recap, but you failed to mention Gabe Peppenger - Who I think made every FG he attempted. Did you confuse Purdy with Peppenger? I think Purdy only kicked extra points...

Um... I mostly saw Purdy make field goals in the first two scrimmages, he's a lefty and Peppenger is a righty so it usually stood out who was the kicker. That was in the first two scrimmages and I didn't really notice who was doing the kicking in the 3rd.

Good analysis but our size on the O-line is pretty average at 6-5, 290, and skewed by our new OG Kordell Pillars at 6-6, 325.

If the weights are accurate on our updated roster, he's the only starter above 300 lbs., and Sirmon at 6-3, 272, and Martin at 6-5, 272 are relatively puny.

Sirmon was manhandled by Tucker Yates of the Bobcats last year on that final play of the game, and as a result, Yates hit Eastwood about the same time Eastwood received the handoff from Snead, he fumbled and we lost.

I really worry about Sirmon and Martin at their current weights going up against DT's 280-300+ lbs.--I just don't see them being able to consistently open up holes for Eastwood and Knight when they are going to be routinely going up against DT's bigger and stronger than them. I hope that I am wrong !!!

What happened to Angel Villanueva ? He started for 3 years and at 6-5, 324, added some real heft to the line. Is he still hurt or did he just get beat out for his starting job ?

billingsgriz said:
What happened to Angel Villanueva ? He started for 3 years and at 6-5, 324, added some real heft to the line. Is he still hurt or did he just get beat out for his starting job ?

I believe starters only played the first series of spring game. Is that what your question is about?

billingsgriz said:
Good analysis but our size on the O-line is pretty average at 6-5, 290, and skewed by our new OG Kordell Pillars at 6-6, 325.

If the weights are accurate on our updated roster, he's the only starter above 300 lbs., and Sirmon at 6-3, 272, and Martin at 6-5, 272 are relatively puny.

Sirmon was manhandled by Tucker Yates of the Bobcats last year on that final play of the game, and as a result, Yates hit Eastwood about the same time Eastwood received the handoff from Snead, he fumbled and we lost.

I really worry about Sirmon and Martin at their current weights going up against DT's 280-300+ lbs.--I just don't see them being able to consistently open up holes for Eastwood and Knight when they are going to be routinely going up against DT's bigger and stronger than them. I hope that I am wrong !!!

For what it’s worth, those weights are not current on the roster. They never are. For some reason it’s almost become an annual tradition for them to have outdated info on the website. Lord knows how complicated it is to update a site in this day and age.........

Back