• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Some Ask a Taboo Question: Is America Overreacting to Coronavirus?

PlayerRep said:
"A choir decided to go ahead with rehearsal. Now dozens of members have COVID-19 and two are dead"

"Sixty singers showed up. A greeter offered hand sanitizer at the door, and members refrained from the usual hugs and handshakes.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/mar/29/a-choir-decided-to-go-ahead-with-rehearsal-now-doz/

removed some of the article to get to the point of my post, which is that. part of the problem was possibly the metal folding chairs. apparently the virus can stay viable on metal for up to 9 hours.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
"A choir decided to go ahead with rehearsal. Now dozens of members have COVID-19 and two are dead"

"Sixty singers showed up. A greeter offered hand sanitizer at the door, and members refrained from the usual hugs and handshakes.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/mar/29/a-choir-decided-to-go-ahead-with-rehearsal-now-doz/
removed some of the article to get to the point of my post, which is that. part of the problem was possibly the metal folding chairs. apparently the virus can stay viable on metal for up to 9 hours.
As of the time of the article (yesterday), they were still tracing contacts and warning them. But they had not yet identified a clear "smoking gun" source. (And they may never do so, but that's another story.) But here's another scary possibility, given how long the virus might remain viable: Suppose it wasn't anyone in the choir? Suppose an earlier visitor to that church hall brought it in?

Wonder if there's any kind of guest book?

More feedback that rushing off to "popular destination" locales is not too bright.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...new-york-rural-countries-hit-hard/2926572001/

Nearly three-quarters of the known coronavirus cases in Idaho are in Ada and Blaine counties. Ada is by far the most populous county in the state, yet Blaine has more cases. It's quite a long article, and also discusses resort-type counties in Utah and Colorado. Since we're all stuck at home -- right? -- take the time to read it. Although the situation is dire in Blaine County, it could have been worse:
USA Today said:
Ketchum fire chief Bill McLaughlin said that about 10% of his team of 52 staffers and volunteer firefighters and paramedics have contracted the virus, forcing him to send healthy first-responders home with ambulances to await calls rather than congregate in a station.
As early as February, McLaughlin said he and other officials braced for a surge in Blaine County, given the number of tourists that flock to the region. He stockpiled supplies, such as surgical masks and gowns, and duct-taped plastic in ambulances between drivers and patients, to protect his staff.
When this is all over, they should hand out medals to these guys.

The MT rules:

"What's open?

Stores that sell groceries and medicine.
Liquor stores.
Food and beverage production.
Agriculture operations.
Organizations that provide charitable and social services.
Media.
Gas stations and businesses needed for transportation, like auto supply and repair shops and bicycle shops.
Financial and real estate services and institutions.
Hardware and supply stores.
Critical trades, like construction, plumbers, electricians, exterminators, cleaning and janitorial staff for commercial and governmental properties, security staff and more.
Mail, post, shipping, logistics, deliver, and pick-up services.
Educational institutions, but only to facilitate remote learning. Closure orders still remain in place for public K-12 schools and universities.
Laundry services, such as laundromats and dry cleaners.
Restaurants for consumption off-premises.
Business that sell supplies to work from home, including computers and audio and video electronics.
Firearms and ammunition suppliers and retailers, for purposes of safety and security.
Transportation, including airlines, taxis, Uber and Lyft, vehicle rental services and more.
Home-based care and services.
Residential facilities and shelters.
Professional services, like legal, accounting, insurance, information technology and real estate services. The state and federal tax deadline has been extended to July 15.
Manufacture, distribution and supply chain for critical products and industries.
Critical labor union functions.
Hotels and motels.
Funeral services."

https://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/take-a-hike-hit-the-liquor-store-what-s-ok/article_b63f26ef-ad38-50c9-9d8b-a808d90f42fc.html

Bullock wants/orders all people coming from out of state or out of country, to self quarantine for 14 days. Includes people who already returned, but have been here for less than 14 days.

"The Montana National Guard will now conduct temperature checks at Montana airports and rail stations and screen for potential exposure history for travelers arriving in Montana from another state or country."

https://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/bullock-orders-post-travel-quarantine/article_99325134-3485-5522-aace-e12943f2c1e8.html#tracking-source=home-breaking

This website has up to date MT info. Also has some world info you can click to it.

I've posted this link previously, but have just figured out what it has.

On the left are number of cases, new cases by county, hospitalizations, and number of tests. On right, is total cases by county.

If you click on the county in the MT map, you will get to demographic info by county. Age, M or F. Totally cool, if you are interested. Look at the Gallatin stats. Mostly not old. Same with Missoula. I don't find the whole state by age and gender, but, spot-checking, it looks like there aren't many people in their 70s and 80s.

If you see the stats by age and gender, call them to our attention. Assume they are there somewhere. Time to eat (and drink) now.

https://montana.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapSeries/index.html?appid=7c34f3412536439491adcc2103421d4b

JP Morgan predicts Q2 GNP will be down 25%. Other estimates are higher, and lowers.

Dow on course for worst first quarter ever.

I posted this initially in the wrong thread:

Flights are really cheap.

Just heard of someone booking a flight from East Coast to MSO for 7,000 frequent flier miles, one-way. Is okay with the quarantine, apparently.

"ThePointsGuy: Airlines offering "historically, dirt-cheap airfare" amid outbreak
Brian Kelly, founder of ThePointsGuy.com, talks the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on airline operations and travel prices."

Read in CNBC: https://apple.news/AA-3pS4E1SGOaNxiI61Bo7w

Looks like about 2/3 of the flights to and from MSO are still operating:

https://flymissoula.com/flight_info/

PlayerRep said:
How Sweden is handing the virus problem. More relaxed approach. Another poster already posted on this subject earlier, or posted a linked article.

"Sweden Is Open for Business During Its Coronavirus Outbreak"

"While Denmark and Norway closed their borders, restaurants and ski slopes and told all students to stay home this month, Sweden shut only its high schools and colleges, kept its preschools, grade schools, pubs, restaurants and borders open — and put no limits on the slopes.

In fact, Sweden has stayed open for business while other nations beyond Scandinavia have attacked the outbreak with various measures ambitious in their scope and reach."

"By Saturday, Norway, population 5.3 million, had more than 3,770 coronavirus cases and 19 deaths; Denmark, population 5.6 million, reported 2,200 cases and 52 deaths; Sweden, with 10.12 million people, recorded more than 3,060 cases and 105 deaths."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/world/europe/sweden-coronavirus.html

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/24/sweden-coronavirus-open-for-business/

Here is some additional info about Sweden (I'd note some of the responses are quite frightening):

https://twitter.com/cmhrrs/status/1244710002251763716

West Point has its cadets at home. My nephew is home in Bozeman. He has daily online classes.
All are live. The cadets are expected to dress up for class, and they have their webcams live.

Air Force has only the seniors on campus/base.

mcg said:
PlayerRep said:
How Sweden is handing the virus problem. More relaxed approach. Another poster already posted on this subject earlier, or posted a linked article.

"Sweden Is Open for Business During Its Coronavirus Outbreak"

"While Denmark and Norway closed their borders, restaurants and ski slopes and told all students to stay home this month, Sweden shut only its high schools and colleges, kept its preschools, grade schools, pubs, restaurants and borders open — and put no limits on the slopes.

In fact, Sweden has stayed open for business while other nations beyond Scandinavia have attacked the outbreak with various measures ambitious in their scope and reach."

"By Saturday, Norway, population 5.3 million, had more than 3,770 coronavirus cases and 19 deaths; Denmark, population 5.6 million, reported 2,200 cases and 52 deaths; Sweden, with 10.12 million people, recorded more than 3,060 cases and 105 deaths."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/world/europe/sweden-coronavirus.html

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/03/24/sweden-coronavirus-open-for-business/

Here is some additional info about Sweden (I'd note some of the responses are quite frightening):

https://twitter.com/cmhrrs/status/1244710002251763716

Sweden is almost twice as big as Norway and Finland. Stats per million, Sweden, Denmark and Norway:

Cases: 439, 849, 256

Deaths: 18, 16, 3.

First case:
Sweden - Jan. 30
Denmark - Feb. 26
Norway - Feb. 25

MT stats:

184 cases, 4 deaths, 14 hospitalizations.

In Missoula, Gallatin and Yellowstone counties, no cases for men over 69, except 1 in 80's in Billings. For women, 1 in 80's in Billings, 1 each in 70's and 80's in Bozeman. 1 man in 70's in Lewis & Clark. 1 man in 80s in Cascade.

So of the 4 counties with 120, or 2/3 of the cases, only 6 over 69. That's great news.

Mo Club in Missoula is cleaning and painting. Almost all photos down. Still serving burgers. Can call ahead or walk in.

Always listen to the scientists in situations like this:

Dr. Fauci on Jan. 26:

"audio of White House Coronavirus Task Force member and NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci from January 26th assuring Americans that the coronavirus is nothing to worry about.

"The American people should not be worried or frightened by this. It's a very, very low risk to the United States," Dr. Fauci said on The CATS Roundtable. "It isn't something that the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about."

Director Redfield agreed with Dr. Fauci's assessment, saying that at that time in January the information coming out of China suggested "they were pretty certain that this was not transmitted human to human."

"Obviously that became corrected as they saw in the first three, four weeks in January that human to human spread was not only occurring it's actually, as I said, more infectious and I think that led to the situation that we're in today. I think no one could have predicted how transmissible, how infectious this virus really is," he added."

https://radio.foxnews.com/2020/03/27/cdc-director-reacts-to-resurfaced-tape-of-dr-anthony-fauci-downplaying-virus-threat/

PlayerRep said:

Dr. Fauci on Jan. 26:

"audio of White House Coronavirus Task Force member and NIAID Director Dr. Anthony Fauci from January 26th assuring Americans that the coronavirus is nothing to worry about.

"The American people should not be worried or frightened by this. It's a very, very low risk to the United States," Dr. Fauci said on The CATS Roundtable. "It isn't something that the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about."

Director Redfield agreed with Dr. Fauci's assessment, saying that at that time in January the information coming out of China suggested "they were pretty certain that this was not transmitted human to human."

"Obviously that became corrected as they saw in the first three, four weeks in January that human to human spread was not only occurring it's actually, as I said, more infectious and I think that led to the situation that we're in today. I think no one could have predicted how transmissible, how infectious this virus really is," he added."

https://radio.foxnews.com/2020/03/27/cdc-director-reacts-to-resurfaced-tape-of-dr-anthony-fauci-downplaying-virus-threat/

taiwan tried to warn the w.h.o. in december that the virus was likely spreading human-to-human, but received no response, probably because china keeps taiwan out of the w.h.o., and other international organizations. not that it matters, because the w.h.o. 'leadership' totally fucked up their response because they were too busy kowtowing to the ccp. some of the press conferences they held in january were nauseating, as they were repeating obviously untrue claims by the ccp, including saying that the virus didn't spread via human-to-human transmission. here is one of several articles on the subject:

https://www.ft.com/content/2a70a02a-644a-11ea-a6cd-df28cc3c6a68

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

Dr. Fauci on Jan. 26:

taiwan tried to warn the w.h.o. in december that the virus was likely spreading human-to-human, but received no response, probably because china keeps taiwan out of the w.h.o., and other international organizations. not that it matters, because the w.h.o. 'leadership' totally f###[#] up their response because they were too busy kowtowing to the ccp. some of the press conferences they held in january were nauseating, as they were repeating obviously untrue claims by the ccp, including saying that the virus didn't spread via human-to-human transmission. here is one of several articles on the subject:

https://www.ft.com/content/2a70a02a-644a-11ea-a6cd-df28cc3c6a68

The CCP is just horrible. Snakes. Dishonest at the outset and probably still being dishonest. Talkk about blood on their hands. I hold they get held accountable eventually. It's clear that many in the US will now support the US being tougher on China, and also becoming much less dependent on China.

"Hospitalizations of patients with coronavirus-like symptoms drop 20 percent in Washington state"

"Department of Health showed a decline in hospitalizations for symptoms of the virus, including pneumonia and shortness of breath, dropped to 193 after sitting at 251 last week.

Health officials cautioned that the data may not be perfect, as it does not count hospitalizations at 16 percent of the state's emergency rooms."

[These numbers are less than what WA was expecting too.]

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/490324-hospitalizations-of-patients-with-coronavirus-like-symptoms-drop-20

Bullock is speaking now on additional orders. Prohibition of tossing out renters, charging late fees, or trying to kick out.

Utilities must continue to provide services, whether paid or not. I think all utilities have already said they would do that.

Financing for healthcare facilities.

There's some good info in here from the head of the CDC, from an NPR interview:

"Yet the nation's public health agency, [the CDC,] with its distinguished history of successfully fighting scourges such as polio and smallpox, has been conspicuously absent in recent weeks as infections and deaths from the new coronavirus soared in the U.S.

On Monday, Redfield agreed to a phone interview with Sam Whitehead, the health reporter at WABE in Atlanta, where he also hosts a coronavirus podcast.

Has the CDC learned anything new about the virus, such as how contagious it is or how it is transmitted, in recent weeks?

Let's take transmission. ... This virus does have the ability to transmit far easier than flu. It's probably now about three times as infectious as flu.

One of the [pieces of] information that we have pretty much confirmed now is that a significant number of individuals that are infected actually remain asymptomatic. That may be as many as 25%. That's important, because now you have individuals that may not have any symptoms that can contribute to transmission, and we have learned that in fact they do contribute to transmission.

And finally, of those of us that get symptomatic, it appears that we're shedding significant virus in our oropharyngeal compartment, probably up to 48 hours before we show symptoms. This helps explain how rapidly this virus continues to spread across the country, because we have asymptomatic transmitters and we have individuals who are transmitting 48 hours before they become symptomatic.

We know there is asymptomatic spread. ... Is the mask something that protects me or ... if I wear a mask, is it something that protects others, from me?

Particularly with the new data, that there's significant asymptomatic transmission, this is being critically re-reviewed to see if there's potential additional value for individuals that are infected or individuals that may be asymptomatically infected. ...

Coronavirus models the Trump administration has been looking at suggest an initial surge in hospitalizations and deaths in April or May. But [after those surges] 95% of Americans will still have not been exposed to this virus at all. To protect those 95% of Americans, won't we need massive testing all over the country to control any renewed spread?

Most respiratory viruses have a seasonality to them, and it's reasonable to hypothesize — we'll have to wait and see — but I think many of us believe as we're moving into the late spring, early summer season, you're going to see the transmission decrease, similar to what we see with flu as the virus then moves into the Southern Hemisphere.

This virus cannot go from person to person that easily. It needs us to be close. It needs us to be within 6 feet. If we just distance ourselves, this virus can't sustain itself and it will go out.

When will the CDC have some kind of public tracking system of every single test result in the country, whether that's done in a hospital or by a public or commercial lab? Knowing where these cases are prepares you to respond.

I think we're really close. I mean, we get daily reports from all of the testings coming in. Obviously, FEMA is the data coordinating center, but I think really strong, integrated data is currently occurring down at the county level, where we're getting positive tests, and where we're seeing new clusters, and where we are responding.

One of the critical areas is, of course, long-term-care facilities. We now have over 400 long-term-care facilities in this nation that have now outbreaks. We're constantly going into those care facilities trying to limit these outbreaks or obviously trying to prepare other assisted living centers.

At the end of the day, most of us who get this infection will recover. The majority of people do — probably 98%, almost 98.5%, 99% recover. The challenge is the older, the vulnerable, the elderly, those with significant medical conditions where this virus has shown a propensity to have a significant mortality."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/31/824155179/cdc-director-on-models-for-the-months-to-come-this-virus-is-going-to-be-with-us

Back