• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

SNEED... THOUGHTS?

gotgum said:
One of the most ridiculous statements on a site that is inundated with ridiculous statements. Sneed did some amazing things with his feet last year and had a good year passing the ball, but "by far one of the best qbs in Griz history"? Please. Reminds me of when posters on eGriz were babbling about Brady Gustafson getting drafted by the NFL because he was relatively the same height as Carson Wentz. :roll:

And has won just as many superbowls. The grown ups are talking, say goodnight.

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
so now a qb who was a freshman all-american with a (per egriz) crappy line, one who was pretty athletic and who could throw the long ball, opening up the field, never would have made it to third down in the first game? thank gawd for sneed and his nfl-level arm combined with his nfl-running back level skills!

gotta love egriz, a bastion of rationality.

The o-line was decent Jensen's year. Sneed was far better than Jensen. Sneed's stats last year were way better than Jensen's the prior year, and Jensen's at the JC. If the Texas St message board can believed, it doesn't look like Jensen has been running with the ones as much as the other guy, whom I believe was the young holdover from last year.

Some of you just have your story (even tho wrong), and you're sticking to it.

Where is this message board you speak of?

https://maroonandgolden.com/fall-camp-update-offensive-positions/

Quarterbacks:
This is the most anticipated position matchup of fall camp, even before a monkey wrench was tossed in this week.

Memphis quarterback Brady McBride announced on Twitter his intentions to transfer to Texas State after reportedly entering the transfer portal just a few days earlier. McBride, a redshirt freshman from Coppell high school, is waiting for a decision from the NCAA on whether he can get a hardship waiver to be eligible this season or if he has to sit out for a year in congruence with transfer bylaws. Even if the waiver is approved, it is unlikely McBride will start the opener at Texas A&M on August 29.

Texas State coach Jake Spavital made the speculation game a little easier on Tuesday by saying the quarterback competition is down to two: junior Gresch Jensen and sophomore Tyler Vitt. Jensen has more familiarity with the new staff having played for offensive coordinator and primary play caller Bob Stitt at Montana, but Vitt has familiarity with the roster with five starts under center last season. They have similar sizes and arm strength in the pocket but their styles are different. Jensen is more of a steady game manager while Vitt is a gunslinger that can make the big play but can also cause a costly turnover. With just under two weeks away from the start of the season, it is still a true competition for the starting position.

kemajic said:
grizzliesthetics said:
Can't really agree with this claim. Regardless of not having OL help( witch I agree). He has not shown abilities to me to be considered one of the greats. To that end he has not even shown me that he is better than Gresch. Hope he has a good year with a better OL this year and moves into the great category with the likes of DD and Ah Yat.

Go griz!
Jensen is considerably less mobile than Sneed and likely wouldn't have lasted two games last year with our lack of protection. Sneed carried the understaffed team last year; unlike Jensen, played hurt and produced; leading rusher, 22 TDs passing and 6 rushing, only 7 picks. 63 % compl. All better stats than Jensen. I expect a Craig Ochs final year from him and believe you will be eating those words Mr. green hat.

Most people simply don’t understand that Jensen is more mobile than given credit for, and in fact had better Juco numbers rushing than Sneed did.

5.6 yds per carry, avg 28.9 yards per game with 6 tds and 1 fumble.
Sneed had 3.7 yds per carry, avg 32 yards per game, with 1 td and 3 fumbles

Plus his release is far quicker than Sneeds, so he would have been just fine last year.

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
so now a qb who was a freshman all-american with a (per egriz) crappy line, one who was pretty athletic and who could throw the long ball, opening up the field, never would have made it to third down in the first game? thank gawd for sneed and his nfl-level arm combined with his nfl-running back level skills!

The o-line was decent Jensen's year. Sneed was far better than Jensen. Sneed's stats last year were way better than Jensen's the prior year, and Jensen's at the JC. If the Texas St message board can believed, it doesn't look like Jensen has been running with the ones as much as the other guy, whom I believe was the young holdover from last year.

This is incorrect. Jensen had by far the better JUCO numbers, and honestly it’s not even close. Plus he played in the tougher JUCO conference.

Jensen 159-274, 58%, 2330 yds, 16 tds, 5 inter, 145 efficiency

Sneed 136-213, 63%, 1257 yds, 7 tds, 11 INTs. 114 efficiency

See above post for rushing stats.

From a statistical perspective Jensen was far better than Sneed. Not sure why people are afraid to admit that. We’ve become to Trumpish when the truth and facts are presented.

But Sneed may have had better leadership qualities in JUCO plus other intangibles that can’t be measured by statistics.

Why are we comparing irrelevant JUCO numbers when both QBs played a year at Montana? The numbers at Montana favor Sneed in spite of Jensen being in his second year in the Montana system while Sneed was in his first. And there are more than numbers that favor Sneed over Jensen.

ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

This is incorrect. Jensen had by far the better JUCO numbers, and honestly it’s not even close. Plus he played in the tougher JUCO conference.

Jensen 159-274, 58%, 2330 yds, 16 tds, 5 inter, 145 efficiency

Sneed 136-213, 63%, 1257 yds, 7 tds, 11 INTs. 114 efficiency

See above post for rushing stats.

From a statistical perspective Jensen was far better than Sneed. Not sure why people are afraid to admit that. We’ve become to Trumpish when the truth and facts are presented.

But Sneed may have had better leadership qualities in JUCO plus other intangibles that can’t be measured by statistics.

I said LAST YEAR for Sneed. Sneed played at Montana last year, not at a JC.the comparison was Sneed last year to Jensen at Montana and the JC.

Now go back and do the right comparison

kemajic said:
Why are we comparing irrelevant JUCO numbers when both QBs played a year at Montana? The numbers at Montana favor Sneed in spite of Jensen being in his second year in the Montana system while Sneed was in his first. And there are more than numbers that favor Sneed over Jensen.

Not correct. You want to compare a frosh, that came in mid-season to a jr, that started the season. Really? How freakin dumb is that. The only fair comparison is how they did in JUCO up to this point. They were both 2nd year players at the same level.

Doing a fair comparison statistical Jensen is and always will be better forever at a Juco level. Lol

Now if you want argue who is the better, that is simply opinion oriented. Personally I could care less. Simply keeping the board honest statistically

ordigger said:
kemajic said:

Not correct. You want to compare a frosh, that came in mid-season to a jr, that started the season. Really? How freakin dumb is that. The only fair comparison is how they did in JUCO up to this point. They were both 2nd year players at the same level.

Doing a fair comparison statistical Jensen is and always will be better forever at a Juco level. Lol

Now if you want argue who is the better, that is simply opinion oriented. Personally I could care less. Simply keeping the board honest statistically

The topic being discussed is whether Sneed is better than Jensen. Sneed was and is better than Jensen, and Sneed’s stats last year at UM bore that out. Sneed’s stats last year were better than any college year of Jensen.

Sneed’s JC stats two years ago are not relevant.

Many people including the Griz coaches know Sneed is better.

Stop embarrassing yourself with these dumb arguments.

PlayerRep said:
ordigger said:
kemajic said:

The topic being discussed is whether Sneed is better than Jensen. Sneed was and is better than Jensen, and Sneed’s stats last year at UM bore that out. Sneed’s stats last year were better than any college year of Jensen.

Sneed’s JC stats two years ago are not relevant.

Many people including the Griz coaches know Sneed is better.

Stop embarrassing yourself with these dumb arguments.

Hahahahhaaha, so now you are the adjudicator of Personal Relations? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

carry on. :coffee:

ordigger said:
kemajic said:

Phillips went out early in the third game, not mid-season, so let's stick to the facts, not your embellishment. Jensen, a RS Frosh, not a true Frosh, played in 10 games, missing the NAU game, which we won. It was his second year in the Montana/Stitt system. 53 rushes for 203 (3.8 ave) and 6 TDs. 177 completions in 294 attempts for 2531 with 10 ints. 60.2%; 20 TDs. Total offense/game = 273.4.

Sneed, a junior, but in his first year of the Montana system, played in 11 games. 131 rushes for 675 (5.2 ave) and 6 TDs. 241 completions in 384 attempts for 2723 with but 7 ints. 62.8 %; 22 TDs. Total offense/game 308.9.

Simply stating the facts (no opinion), "keeping the board honest statistically."

The only opinion I will offer is that I will take Sneed over Jensen every time. As will his teammates. Leadership, team player, toughness, elite, scary footspeed. I can't wait to see the year he will produce as a senior. I'm thinking Ochs-like. Both in Hauck's second year....

SaskGriz said:
Okay, you seem like nice people so I'm gonna help you out. The opening statement was about Sneed and that he is "by far one of the best QB's in Griz history.". Now, getting around the fact that this statement is awkward in that "by far" implies distance from others and "one of" implies that he is in a group of others. It became, to no one's surprise, a who's better between Sneed and Jensen.

It's not an apples to apples comparison it's more like apples to dixie cups. It's completely irrelevant to the question. In reality at this point neither QB is even in the conversation for all-time greats and Jensen never will be.

1. Dave Dickenson
2. Brian Ah Yat
3. Craig Ochs
4. Cole Berquist
5. Jordan Johnson
6. Drew Miller
7. Grady Bennett
8. Brad Lebo
9. Brent Pease
10. John Edwards

* List only goes back as far as Saskgriz's memory, which is getting shorter by the day.

This list can be debated but it's correct. ;)

^^Yep.

IMO Sneed needs to learn to protect the ball. He’s got great skill sets but the turnovers killed the team in critical points.

kemajic said:
ordigger said:
kemajic said:

Phillips went out early in the third game, not mid-season, so let's stick to the facts, not your embellishment. Jensen, a RS Frosh, not a true Frosh, played in 10 games, missing the NAU game, which we won. It was his second year in the Montana/Stitt system. 53 rushes for 203 (3.8 ave) and 6 TDs. 177 completions in 294 attempts for 2531 with 10 ints. 60.2%; 20 TDs. Total offense/game = 273.4.

Sneed, a junior, but in his first year of the Montana system, played in 11 games. 131 rushes for 675 (5.2 ave) and 6 TDs. 241 completions in 384 attempts for 2723 with but 7 ints. 62.8 %; 22 TDs. Total offense/game 308.9.

Simply stating the facts (no opinion), "keeping the board honest statistically."

The only opinion I will offer is that I will take Sneed over Jensen every time. As will his teammates. Leadership, team player, toughness, elite, scary footspeed. I can't wait to see the year he will produce as a senior. I'm thinking Ochs-like. Both in Hauck's second year....

maybe he can win a popularity contest with the current montana team, but sneed's arm is not as good as jensen's. which one is the better qb depends on the system, and a lot of other factors.

i am wondering why all the bobby lovers don't take into account the far superior coaching sneed has at montana, versus jensen, and use that in their determination regarding the better stats? i mean, bobby's amazing ability is the reason for any other 'better' performance by an older, more experienced player. that doesn't apply to sneed vs jensen?

This has devolved into one of the dumbest threads on egriz. Here is what matters, one of them gave up on Montana and the other is at Montana.

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/montana-s-dalton-sneed-trying-to-be-more-complete-quarterback/article_f0c45955-3bb7-5f07-a3d3-4edd6337ca86.html

"Hauck said he doesn’t want his quarterback to try to force himself to stay in the pocket. He just needs him to know what the right play is in each situation and to be able to execute it.

“All the plays play out so differently,” Hauck said. “You can sit there and demand a guy hang in the pocket, and it could be wide open in front of him. So, you know, we don’t want to take that away from him. He’s a good player. He’s got a good feel for the game. I’m just kind of excited to watch him play.”

argh! said:
kemajic said:
ordigger said:
kemajic said:

maybe he can win a popularity contest with the current montana team, but sneed's arm is not as good as jensen's. which one is the better qb depends on the system, and a lot of other factors.

i am wondering why all the bobby lovers don't take into account the far superior coaching sneed has at montana, versus jensen, and use that in their determination regarding the better stats? i mean, bobby's amazing ability is the reason for any other 'better' performance by an older, more experienced player. that doesn't apply to sneed vs jensen?
Just keep wondering; maybe you'll figure it out.

Latest posts

Back