• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Round 2: #12 Montana @ #4 Eastern Washington Game Thread

Begs the question: In the playoffs do you always get refs from the conference of either team playing or can there be refs from a neutral conference? (Implicit in my question is the hope that we could actually get refs from other than the BSC. Too much to ask for?)

Grisly Fan said:
Begs the question: In the playoffs do you always get refs from the conference of either team playing or can there be refs from a neutral conference? (Implicit in my question is the hope that we could actually get refs from other than the BSC. Too much to ask for?)

I believe that either team cannot have its conference referees overseeing the game, thus the refs have to be neutral from another conference.

get'em_griz said:
Grisly Fan said:

I believe that either team cannot have its conference referees overseeing the game, thus the refs have to be neutral from another conference.
Two things come to mind. We might get referees that have experience with instant replay and they might know what holding is (neither of which would be true if they are from the BSC).

get'em_griz said:
Thought I'd get this started a few days early. Let's use this thread leading up to the game on Saturday to actually discuss what the Griz need to do to win, what do we want to see offensively and defensively, etc.

I think with how focused the Griz have been the last three weeks that they have a very good shot at beating the Eags on Saturday. With the Eags only have played once in the last 4 weeks, they will probably be a little rusty even though they will be amped. It will be imperative that the Griz take advantage and strike early. We can't get down and play catch-up this time around.

I agree. Getting behind early by 20 plus points will not bode well for the Griz.

Htowngriz said:
One of the things that gives me hope in this game is the fact that the coaching staff has finally decided that they'll do whatever it takes offensively to keep up with Eastern, i.e. not stubbornly try to establish the run and only switch to a hurry up, pass heavy offense after we're down by 20+.

And if the defense keeps standing on their heads like they have been, I think they can slow their offense down enough that we won't need to score 40+ to win.

Agree with all of this. JJ said we're gonna be going with the offense we saw against MSU, and I believe that is what we will see. We saw that same offense last time score 16 unanswered points (should have been 23 on the no-call TD). We should put up the points this time. It'll come down to if the defense can keep EWU's offense out of sync just enough to get the win.

Compughterratings.com is predicting a 7-point win for the Eagles.

1925030_392543154228967_6337353468975601250_n.jpg

The difference will the fact that Hermanson, Harris, Dennard, and Whitted will play lights out on Saturday :thumb:

I just don't want to see repeated catches by EWU receivers without a defender within 5-7 yards of them. Shit happened all DAY last time.

AZGrizFan said:
I just don't want to see repeated catches by EWU receivers without a defender within 5-7 yards of them. Shit happened all DAY last time.

This. And it amazes me how Eastern's receivers ALWAYS make almost impossible catches. Get rid of the long ball threat and you have a chance to keep these guys in check.

get'em_griz said:
AZGrizFan said:

This. And it amazes me how Eastern's receivers ALWAYS make almost impossible catches. Get rid of the long ball threat and you have a chance to keep these guys in check.

I hear what you are saying...but I think our receivers have made some pretty amazing catches this year also. Ellis vs. NDSU where he pinned it against the defender and Jamaal I think had a similar catch for a TD in the SWEZ.

Yep, Jones has been making circus catches all year. Building on what AZ said, it'd be nice to see our receivers get that kind of separation against them...

This one will be on Tye to design a GamePlan to neutralize ewu and the players need to execute it. I feel comfortable saying the offense will do enough to win this thing but the defense and special teams need to have a big day. Bottom line IMO will be being on the + side of turnovers, playing sound special teams, scoring td's in the red zone, and win the field position battle. In other words play your best football on Saturday..I have a good feeling about this :thumb:

Grizzlies1982 said:
bigkid said:
The difference will the fact that Hermanson, Harris, Dennard, and Whitted will play lights out on Saturday :thumb:

THIS !!!! :clap:
Couldn't have said it any better myself . This hits the nail on the head . :thumb:

westnodak93bison said:
How many Griz fans do you expect?

Maybe 1000. Ewoo's internet system, last upgraded in 1989, pretty much shut out Griz fans from having a chance to order tickets.

westnodak93bison said:

Without additional seating this time, their stadium reportedly will hold about 8,700.
What's posted elsewhere suggests only about 1,000 didn't go to season ticket holders. So maybe 600 to 700 Griz fans in attendance tops.

westnodak93bison said:

They had a little over 11,000 for the regular season game, sounds like they aren't doing any extra seating so that might be about the attendance, from what people have been saying here some of the hotels in the area have been promoting ticket/room combos and Griz fans have picked up quite a few that way, so we might have 1000 there.

Back