• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

...regents...

Grizfan-24 said:
EverettGriz said:
You do realize Constitutional rights are limited regularly, right?

Yup. I have a few seats open in my high school government course so that some could brush up on their knowledge of civics and constitutional law.

In my twenty years of teaching in public schools, largely as a government teacher, I have watched the 2A debate descend from common sense into the lunatic fringe. What is the most mind boggling part of it all is that not one person questioned the prohibition of guns on college or k-12 campuses for close to 30 years. Was a completely acceptable ask that you don't bring your hunting rifle or hand gun to school. Nary a complaint in my 15 years in Montana or Idaho when kids were asked by law enforcement to take their guns home or park off campus. No lawsuit or attempting to unseat the school board over the issue.

There isn't an educational organization, policy developers, and so forth that has ever asked for schools to be armed. That wasn't the demand after Columbine. We targeted the things that really did matter. We increased school security, provided LEO's to school campuses and we trained our teaching staff to identify at risk kids. Not once did we ask to increase the complexity of the situation by adding weapons to the mix.

That isn't a policy objective rooted in science, it is a policy rooted in the absurd fringes of the far right anti- government movement. I first heard it listening to the speeches given by Cal Greenup, the Freemen and John Trochmann. Started as a conspiracy theory, the idea of absolute authority to have guns, and slowly oozed out of the hinterlands and into mainstream conservative thought through agencies like the NRA. They disowned and distanced themselves from groups like the Montana Militia and so forth in the 1990's, but they are practically in bed with them now. Says a lot that this wasn't an issue even twenty years ago, and it is now. That for 150 years of American history, we had a pretty reasonable and common sense stance on gun policy. We don't now and you can look to the evolution of the 2A defense over the past decade to see why.

We've only loosened 2A rights in the past twenty years not strengthened them federally. Yet the messaging is pretty consistent is that your guns are at risk if a liberal is in office. Bush Administration let the Brady Bill lapse and since then it has been a gradual loosening of gun laws either through courts or legislation at the state or national level. To think that we actually believe it is a denied right and over-extension of government power asking you not to carry a weapon while on school grounds is just a perversion of the concept of civil liberties and rights. A concept that literally NO ONE in the 2A group pushed more than a decade ago.

People weren't less free in 1990 or even 2000, we just had a shit ton more common sense as to understand that it was reasonable enough to leave your guns at home while attending a football game or a Harry Fritz lecture on barley production in Montana. This is all about the radicalization of gun rights from the center to the right, beyond the norm, and less about what truly is an extension of civil liberties.

What do I know. I'm just an educator who chose the profession because I wasn't good enough to do anything else.

And yet 70 years ago in Montana it was common practice to not only bring your gun to high school with you, it was openly displayed in the back window. Your teachers would ask about your latest hunting experience and even come out and look at said gun. No one was worried about being shot or was triggered by the sight of a firearm.

wbtfg said:
EverettGriz said:
When I was at UM -- sometime between horse and buggies circling the Oval and teens constantly uploading videos of them cutting their toenails onto TikTok -- guns were allowed for those living in the dorms. But they had to be locked in a gun safe in the basement. This was used predominantly for hunting rifles, but I do know people who had handguns as well.

This mandated that if you wanted your firearm, you had to ask an RA to unlock the safe for you, vastly lowing the chance that the weapon could be used in a harmful manner.

Seemed a more than reasonable approach to all of us. Still does to anyone but a nutjob, I'd argue.

As far as I know, this has always been the case, and it seems to have worked pretty well.

That reminds me, are hot plates still banned in the dorms because they are deemed too much of a danger?

Great question and one I am asked often. I don't know the answer. I do know this: In my experience, hot chicks must have been banned from my dorm room via unwritten university policy. There's really no other explanation.

CDAGRIZ said:
wbtfg said:
As far as I know, this has always been the case, and it seems to have worked pretty well.

That reminds me, are hot plates still banned in the dorms because they are deemed too much of a danger?

Great question and one I am asked often. I don't know the answer. I do know this: In my experience, hot chicks must have been banned from my dorm room via unwritten university policy. There's really no other explanation.

:lol: :lol:

#goddamnyoudennison

Jesse said:
SoldierGriz said:
College is stressful? Crap...I'd go back to college in a heartbeat. I had almost zero stress during my time at UM.

I also lived in a house with 6 other dudes each of us with 3-4 guns each. We had massive parties there...no one ever got shot or pulled out a gun...

Just my experience and anecdotal for sure.

You lived off campus obviously. I believe the concern is immature people (guys like Byers)having guns in dorm rooms and on campus places like the u center, Wagriz and Adams center. I wouldn’t want to live in a dorm full of random idiots with access to unlimited alcohol and as many guns as they want. [#]f### that noise, it’s the worst demographic to allow to arm themselves on a college campus, a recipe for disaster. Seems like another piece of legislation that wasn’t necessary other then to create an issue out of a non issue and own the woke f###[#] libs.

I think if I had wanted to bring any one of my guns on to campus, I could have done so quite easily....

I didn't because I am not friggin mentally ill.

CDAGRIZ said:
I went to college and didn’t get shot once, and I didn’t even shoot anyone a single time. Accordingly, I can’t see what all the fuss is about.

Same here...just lived stress-free and drunk. Mostly drunk.

MikeyGriz said:
Grizfan-24 said:
Yup. I have a few seats open in my high school government course so that some could brush up on their knowledge of civics and constitutional law.

In my twenty years of teaching in public schools, largely as a government teacher, I have watched the 2A debate descend from common sense into the lunatic fringe. What is the most mind boggling part of it all is that not one person questioned the prohibition of guns on college or k-12 campuses for close to 30 years. Was a completely acceptable ask that you don't bring your hunting rifle or hand gun to school. Nary a complaint in my 15 years in Montana or Idaho when kids were asked by law enforcement to take their guns home or park off campus. No lawsuit or attempting to unseat the school board over the issue.

There isn't an educational organization, policy developers, and so forth that has ever asked for schools to be armed. That wasn't the demand after Columbine. We targeted the things that really did matter. We increased school security, provided LEO's to school campuses and we trained our teaching staff to identify at risk kids. Not once did we ask to increase the complexity of the situation by adding weapons to the mix.

That isn't a policy objective rooted in science, it is a policy rooted in the absurd fringes of the far right anti- government movement. I first heard it listening to the speeches given by Cal Greenup, the Freemen and John Trochmann. Started as a conspiracy theory, the idea of absolute authority to have guns, and slowly oozed out of the hinterlands and into mainstream conservative thought through agencies like the NRA. They disowned and distanced themselves from groups like the Montana Militia and so forth in the 1990's, but they are practically in bed with them now. Says a lot that this wasn't an issue even twenty years ago, and it is now. That for 150 years of American history, we had a pretty reasonable and common sense stance on gun policy. We don't now and you can look to the evolution of the 2A defense over the past decade to see why.

We've only loosened 2A rights in the past twenty years not strengthened them federally. Yet the messaging is pretty consistent is that your guns are at risk if a liberal is in office. Bush Administration let the Brady Bill lapse and since then it has been a gradual loosening of gun laws either through courts or legislation at the state or national level. To think that we actually believe it is a denied right and over-extension of government power asking you not to carry a weapon while on school grounds is just a perversion of the concept of civil liberties and rights. A concept that literally NO ONE in the 2A group pushed more than a decade ago.

People weren't less free in 1990 or even 2000, we just had a shit ton more common sense as to understand that it was reasonable enough to leave your guns at home while attending a football game or a Harry Fritz lecture on barley production in Montana. This is all about the radicalization of gun rights from the center to the right, beyond the norm, and less about what truly is an extension of civil liberties.

What do I know. I'm just an educator who chose the profession because I wasn't good enough to do anything else.

And yet 70 years ago in Montana it was common practice to not only bring your gun to high school with you, it was openly displayed in the back window. Your teachers would ask about your latest hunting experience and even come out and look at said gun. No one was worried about being shot or was triggered by the sight of a firearm.

except when some upset student brought their gun into the building. i remember that happened at my high school, by a guy who was pissed at teachers or something, but it wasn't reported.

argh! said:
MikeyGriz said:

except when some upset student brought their gun into the building. i remember that happened at my high school, by a guy who was pissed at teachers or something, but it wasn't reported.

What a missed opportunity...if you had a gun that day you might have been the hero!

SoldierGriz said:
Jesse said:
You lived off campus obviously. I believe the concern is immature people (guys like Byers)having guns in dorm rooms and on campus places like the u center, Wagriz and Adams center. I wouldn’t want to live in a dorm full of random idiots with access to unlimited alcohol and as many guns as they want. [#]f### that noise, it’s the worst demographic to allow to arm themselves on a college campus, a recipe for disaster. Seems like another piece of legislation that wasn’t necessary other then to create an issue out of a non issue and own the woke f###[#] libs.

I think if I had wanted to bring any one of my guns on to campus, I could have done so quite easily....

I didn't because I am not friggin mentally ill.
What’s the military’s policy at say boot camp, do the fellas get to bring firearms into the barracks or do they have to keep them locked up somewhere else. Asking because of that private joker scene in full metal jacket.

wbtfg said:
are hot plates still banned in the dorms?

5ay5ph.jpg

MikeyGriz said:
Grizfan-24 said:

70? How about as late as 1980? We used to bring our rifles all during hunting season. Go hunting over lunch hour (or free hours). If you got something, you just didn’t come back. Or you’d come back and show off to all your friends.

Same thing at my HS as late as 1999. I was still in HS when Columbine happened, believe it or not. Before then, guys used to go deer hunting above the FB practice field during lunch. Kind of a show off move, really, because they probably just found a place to smoke weed. But it happened sometimes, and I’m sure none of them ever dreamed of bringing a gun into the school. After Columbine, that changed. Kinda weird how times change requiring new rules due to societal changes. I remember driving up and down 93 on my way to and from the State am texting my then-girlfriend the whole time (T9Word homies rise up). Wreckless but reckless.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin, 1775.

Y'all probably haven't noticed, but guns are a hot button issue with me. Allow me to explain.
All you self righteous posters advocating for various levels of gun control, are pissing on your freedom and independence from the ever increasing over reach of government. Stupidity.

I bought my first handgun when I was 17. Never shot anyone, even if they deserved it. Didn't feel a need to bring it with me when I went off to college. Got quite a few guns since then, still haven't shot anyone.

Never noticed the gun control movement until Bobby Kennedy got capped(which I approved of). The cigar abusing Clinton era and those evil 'assault weapon looking ban' got my attention. The left has been at it non stop ever since. Why? Control. No guns, no resistance to whatever the government decides to do. Germany in the early '30s found out, so did Soviet Russia, Red China, etc., etc.

I'm not willing to surrender my God given rights to anyone. I'll defend myself, not pray law enforcement will come over the hill and save my ass. If I feel my life or safety is at risk, I can pull whatever it is I am carrying, and END that threat. The University system is not a crime free zone. Check the stats. Neither should it be a gun free zone. The perps, knowing the intended victim might be armed, will at least think twice about his plan, knowing his brains may soon be next to his lifeless body very quickly.

End lecture(rant).

tourist said:
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin, 1775.

Y'all probably haven't noticed, but guns are a hot button issue with me. Allow me to explain.
All you self righteous posters advocating for various levels of gun control, are pissing on your freedom and independence from the ever increasing over reach of government. Stupidity.

I bought my first handgun when I was 17. Never shot anyone, even if they deserved it. Didn't feel a need to bring it with me when I went off to college. Got quite a few guns since then, still haven't shot anyone.

Never noticed the gun control movement until Bobby Kennedy got capped(which I approved of). The cigar abusing Clinton era and those evil 'assault weapon looking ban' got my attention. The left has been at it non stop ever since. Why? Control. No guns, no resistance to whatever the government decides to do. Germany in the early '30s found out, so did Soviet Russia, Red China, etc., etc.

I'm not willing to surrender my God given rights to anyone. I'll defend myself, not pray law enforcement will come over the hill and save my ass. If I feel my life or safety is at risk, I can pull whatever it is I am carrying, and END that threat. The University system is not a crime free zone. Check the stats. Neither should it be a gun free zone. The perps, knowing the intended victim might be armed, will at least think twice about his plan, knowing his brains may soon be next to his lifeless body very quickly.

End lecture(rant).

Let’s here more of your opinions, how about the MLK & JFK assassinations, do you approve of those too?

Ursa Major said:
tourist said:

End lecture(rant).

Let’s here more of your opinions, how about the MLK & JFK assassinations, do you approve of those too?

I think it’s safe to say that “tourist” is now on a U.S. Department of Homeland Security watch list after this post!

:lol: WATCH LIST ??? HA!!! I did mention govt overreach. First and Second Amendments, so, bring 'em on. Got a death wish? Do your job.

As for JFK, no, I was too young, lots of hope. Saw him at Memorial Stadium in '63. 'Montaner.' (for those that remember the speech).Was within 20 feet of him when he left on Second Avenue South.
MLK, :thumb: . Crooked, phoney, racist, pervert, POS! Look up Michael King's history(his real name). And to think we have a national holiday to 'honor' this disgusting POS. Truth is a bitch.

tourist said:
:lol: WATCH LIST ??? HA!!! I did mention govt overreach. First and Second Amendments, so, bring 'em on. Got a death wish? Do your job.

As for JFK, no, I was too young, lots of hope. Saw him at Memorial Stadium in '63. 'Montaner.' (for those that remember the speech).Was within 20 feet of him when he left on Second Avenue South.
MLK, :thumb: . Crooked, phoney, racist, pervert, POS! Look up Michael King's history(his real name). And to think we have a national holiday to 'honor' this disgusting POS. Truth is a bitch.

Just memorializing this gem before you change it, Paycho :thumb:

PlayerRep said:
My view is that the Second Amendment has gotten so political, in part because there really are a lot of liberals, Dems and politicians who do in fact want to take away most guns. This group tends not to have or use guns, and doesn't understand guns for care to understand them. My view is that the NRA, etc. has taken and hardened their stances, due to the "give an inch, they'll want a mile" thin.

Who are you specifically referring to about taking away most guns? Provide a quote to a politician or a link to a story regarding that, I thought it was just the ARs that over 66% of people want a ban on. I think the latest poll I saw was something like 84% of Americans are for universal background checks. I agree with you about the NRA, it is more of a shill for the manufactures then it is an advocate for hunters. Any idea if there were state wide polls regarding allowing guns on campuses? I would expect it to be quite low on the pro side. I don’t think a lot of people would want to send there kids to a college where anyone could possess and carry a gun to class and have them in dorms. Remember the VA Tech shootings? I also agree with you that the BOR will likely win its lawsuit, especially with the present make up of the Supreme Court.

Back