• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

...regents...

SoldierGriz said:
Griz til I die said:
I figured at some point this bill would be addressed here, I just didn’t think it would take this long. As a very recent graduate of UM (class of 2021), let me try and put into perspective why I think this bill is a bad idea on college campuses.

First, I wanna start by saying that I am absolutely PRO second amendment. I own more than a dozen guns and am proud of it, however, college is a very stressful place. During my 4 years at UM I have had friends, classmates, and met others who have dealt with serious mental health at UM. The last thing I would ever want is for this law to be allowed on campus and some kid commit suicide in the dorms because they’re allowed to carry guns on campus.

There’s also the intimidation factor. Some kid comes back to his dorm drunk and gets into an argument with his buddy. Not only does some kid possibly lose his life, but hundreds of others in the building are also at risk. Who’s to say a kid wouldn’t walk into a professors office and threaten them into giving them a higher grade by pointing a gun at them? How are 300 kids all sitting together in the Urey lecture hall gonna react when a kid pulls out a gun in there?

Overall during my time at UM, the campus culture for the most part has been great. This past year though there were some pretty hurtful things that happened with kids posting racist things on social media and saying some pretty racist things on campus. I don’t even wanna imagine what would’ve happened this past year with the stress and anxiety of COVID, school, and some of the other things that happened on campus and kids were carrying a gun.

I’m not saying a kid would ever shoot a gun on campus, but I’m not gonna lie, it would still be pretty intimidating if you were sitting in class with kids packing pistols, or even walking across campus by a kid carrying one. College is a stressful enough place already. Kids face high anxiety and stress every day, let’s not make it tougher on them. There is always a time and a place to use guns (and use them responsibly), but it’s not on college campuses. Campus is safe enough already with campus police, emergency button poles all over, and security cameras everywhere (in more places then you would ever suspect).

Let’s use guns where they’re supposed to be used and not make kids feel anymore intimidated or stressed out than they already are about school, paying rent, relationships, friends, not seeing family, etc. guns are meant for enjoyment in the outdoors and ranges, and not meant to try and intimidate thousands of stressed out college kids. Like I said, there all kinds of safe resources available on campus to help kids in uncomfortable situations, including many buildings open after hours. Guns are a solution looking for a massive problem on Montana college campuses.

College is stressful? Crap...I'd go back to college in a heartbeat. I had almost zero stress during my time at UM.

I also lived in a house with 6 other dudes each of us with 3-4 guns each. We had massive parties there...no one ever got shot or pulled out a gun...

Just my experience and anecdotal for sure.
Ya I lived off campus with guns in my house too. You completely missed the point of my post. They shouldn't be allowed on CAMPUS, that means dorms and all other buildings. Agree to disagree I guess, but like PR mentioned above, the regents will win their lawsuit on this bill, as well as their lawsuit on 112 and whatever the number was on that freedom of speech bill too.

nzone said:
I haven’t read the bill but does it allow conceal and carry without a permit on campus?

No I think you have to have a conceal permit to carry on campus under this law and you also need the permission of your roommate to keep your guns in your dorm room. Also no guns at athletic events, which is a crock of shit

Jesse said:
nzone said:
I haven’t read the bill but does it allow conceal and carry without a permit on campus?

No I think you have to have a conceal permit to carry on campus under this law and you also need the permission of your roommate to keep your guns in your dorm room. Also no guns at athletic events, which is a crock of shit

"A new law signed by Montana's Republican governor will soon give college students in the state the right to carry a concealed weapon on campus without a permit."

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/02/972742656/montanas-governor-says-conceal-carry-law-bolsters-self-defense-rights

Jesse said:
...it’s the worst demographic to allow to arm themselves...
What the what? Do you believe a person’s demographics should play a roll in whether the bill of rights applies to them? Which is the worst demo to allow to have free speech?

I went to college and didn’t get shot once, and I didn’t even shoot anyone a single time. Accordingly, I can’t see what all the fuss is about.

EverettGriz said:
tourist said:
2nd Amendment. Ya flipping think?

You do realize Constitutional rights are limited regularly, right?

Yup. I have a few seats open in my high school government course so that some could brush up on their knowledge of civics and constitutional law.

In my twenty years of teaching in public schools, largely as a government teacher, I have watched the 2A debate descend from common sense into the lunatic fringe. What is the most mind boggling part of it all is that not one person questioned the prohibition of guns on college or k-12 campuses for close to 30 years. Was a completely acceptable ask that you don't bring your hunting rifle or hand gun to school. Nary a complaint in my 15 years in Montana or Idaho when kids were asked by law enforcement to take their guns home or park off campus. No lawsuit or attempting to unseat the school board over the issue.

There isn't an educational organization, policy developers, and so forth that has ever asked for schools to be armed. That wasn't the demand after Columbine. We targeted the things that really did matter. We increased school security, provided LEO's to school campuses and we trained our teaching staff to identify at risk kids. Not once did we ask to increase the complexity of the situation by adding weapons to the mix.

That isn't a policy objective rooted in science, it is a policy rooted in the absurd fringes of the far right anti- government movement. I first heard it listening to the speeches given by Cal Greenup, the Freemen and John Trochmann. Started as a conspiracy theory, the idea of absolute authority to have guns, and slowly oozed out of the hinterlands and into mainstream conservative thought through agencies like the NRA. They disowned and distanced themselves from groups like the Montana Militia and so forth in the 1990's, but they are practically in bed with them now. Says a lot that this wasn't an issue even twenty years ago, and it is now. That for 150 years of American history, we had a pretty reasonable and common sense stance on gun policy. We don't now and you can look to the evolution of the 2A defense over the past decade to see why.

We've only loosened 2A rights in the past twenty years not strengthened them federally. Yet the messaging is pretty consistent is that your guns are at risk if a liberal is in office. Bush Administration let the Brady Bill lapse and since then it has been a gradual loosening of gun laws either through courts or legislation at the state or national level. To think that we actually believe it is a denied right and over-extension of government power asking you not to carry a weapon while on school grounds is just a perversion of the concept of civil liberties and rights. A concept that literally NO ONE in the 2A group pushed more than a decade ago.

People weren't less free in 1990 or even 2000, we just had a shit ton more common sense as to understand that it was reasonable enough to leave your guns at home while attending a football game or a Harry Fritz lecture on barley production in Montana. This is all about the radicalization of gun rights from the center to the right, beyond the norm, and less about what truly is an extension of civil liberties.

What do I know. I'm just an educator who chose the profession because I wasn't good enough to do anything else.

Jesse said:
SoldierGriz said:
College is stressful? Crap...I'd go back to college in a heartbeat. I had almost zero stress during my time at UM.

I also lived in a house with 6 other dudes each of us with 3-4 guns each. We had massive parties there...no one ever got shot or pulled out a gun...

Just my experience and anecdotal for sure.

You lived off campus obviously. I believe the concern is immature people (guys like Byers)having guns in dorm rooms and on campus places like the u center, Wagriz and Adams center. I wouldn’t want to live in a dorm full of random idiots with access to unlimited alcohol and as many guns as they want. [#]f### that noise, it’s the worst demographic to allow to arm themselves on a college campus, a recipe for disaster. Seems like another piece of legislation that wasn’t necessary other then to create an issue out of a non issue and own the woke f###[#] libs.

As a recent grad of UM (2019) I was living in the dorms not that many years ago. I was paired with a random roommate, who had a gun in the room, as did myself, as did 50% of the students who lived on the floor. Guns being in the dorms are not a new thing. The same people who had them then are the same people who have them now, and will continue to bring them into the rooms. A new rule is not going to change any of that. PS....You're not allowed to have alcohol in the dorms until you're 21 either.....

Dgriz94 said:
Jesse said:
You lived off campus obviously. I believe the concern is immature people (guys like Byers)having guns in dorm rooms and on campus places like the u center, Wagriz and Adams center. I wouldn’t want to live in a dorm full of random idiots with access to unlimited alcohol and as many guns as they want. [#]f### that noise, it’s the worst demographic to allow to arm themselves on a college campus, a recipe for disaster. Seems like another piece of legislation that wasn’t necessary other then to create an issue out of a non issue and own the woke f###[#] libs.

As a recent grad of UM (2019) I was living in the dorms not that many years ago. I was paired with a random roommate, who had a gun in the room, as did myself, as did 50% of the students who lived on the floor. Guns being in the dorms are not a new thing. The same people who had them then are the same people who have them now, and will continue to bring them into the rooms. A new rule is not going to change any of that. PS....You're not allowed to have alcohol in the dorms until you're 21 either.....
I'm also a recent grad. You're right, that does happen. Here's what doesn't happen though that will start to happen. Kids who are in possession of those guns will start thinking they have free will with them and will begin taking them outside of their dorms more often cause they'll feel the need to show them off. This could lead to one of my earlier points about 2 drunk kids getting in an argument who now know that they no longer have to hide them in their rooms or on campus anymore. BTW, you're totally overexaggerating that 50% of students on the floor number too. The overwhelming majority of kids I knew from my time in the dorms never owned guns, and the ones that did left them in the glove box or trunk of their cars, which was a very small percentage of kids anyway. Nice try though.

Dgriz94 said:
Jesse said:

If booze was allowed for everyone in the dorms, would kids openly rip beers and shots and have sweet bar setups and get radical vodka luges for special occasions and shit? Or would they still stash Malibu rum in empty ketchup squeeze bottles? (I don't really care about this issue. I just wanted and excuse to tell people how I stashed my Malibu rum in the dorms).

CDAGRIZ said:
Dgriz94 said:

If booze was allowed for everyone in the dorms, would kids openly rip beers and shots and have sweet bar setups and get radical vodka luges for special occasions and shit? Or would they still stash Malibu rum in empty ketchup squeeze bottles? (I don't really care about this issue. I just wanted and excuse to tell people how I stashed my Malibu rum in the dorms).

There has to be a body cavity story here someplace...has to be.

garizzalies said:
Jesse said:
...it’s the worst demographic to allow to arm themselves...
What the what? Do you believe a person’s demographics should play a roll in whether the bill of rights applies to them? Which is the worst demo to allow to have free speech?
I believe that immature, still mentally developing dumb asses, who have little to none experience with alcohol should not possess firearms on college campuses or anywhere else. Free speech normally doesn’t get anyone killed, the Supreme Court has limited high schoolers right to free speech and it has also limited the 2A. Nothing is absolute because the constitution isn’t a suicide pact. You have to be 18 to vote, 21 to drink and smoke, 35 to run for president and if you are on a college campus you shouldn't be able to carry. Just my opinion, why are we making it harder to vote then it is to possess a firearm on a college campus?

if guns are allowed on campus (they actually already are) there will be a lot more police reports....of lost and stolen guns. drunks can never remember where they leave stuff including their cars, how can you expect them to remember where they put their guns? Professors are the worst at misplacing things....."911. yes what are you reporting? uh I can't find my gun, I don't know if it was stolen or I just forgot it somewhere or if one of my friends is playing a joke on me"

...not to make light of the subject...
...celebrate pink game..veterans game etc...
...how about ..a k day..bring your gun game day...
...after we go out and kill a wolf in a trap..for christ...

...second amendment baby...

Grizfan-24 said:
EverettGriz said:
You do realize Constitutional rights are limited regularly, right?

Yup. I have a few seats open in my high school government course so that some could brush up on their knowledge of civics and constitutional law.

In my twenty years of teaching in public schools, largely as a government teacher, I have watched the 2A debate descend from common sense into the lunatic fringe. What is the most mind boggling part of it all is that not one person questioned the prohibition of guns on college or k-12 campuses for close to 30 years. Was a completely acceptable ask that you don't bring your hunting rifle or hand gun to school. Nary a complaint in my 15 years in Montana or Idaho when kids were asked by law enforcement to take their guns home or park off campus. No lawsuit or attempting to unseat the school board over the issue.

There isn't an educational organization, policy developers, and so forth that has ever asked for schools to be armed. That wasn't the demand after Columbine. We targeted the things that really did matter. We increased school security, provided LEO's to school campuses and we trained our teaching staff to identify at risk kids. Not once did we ask to increase the complexity of the situation by adding weapons to the mix.

That isn't a policy objective rooted in science, it is a policy rooted in the absurd fringes of the far right anti- government movement. I first heard it listening to the speeches given by Cal Greenup, the Freemen and John Trochmann. Started as a conspiracy theory, the idea of absolute authority to have guns, and slowly oozed out of the hinterlands and into mainstream conservative thought through agencies like the NRA. They disowned and distanced themselves from groups like the Montana Militia and so forth in the 1990's, but they are practically in bed with them now. Says a lot that this wasn't an issue even twenty years ago, and it is now. That for 150 years of American history, we had a pretty reasonable and common sense stance on gun policy. We don't now and you can look to the evolution of the 2A defense over the past decade to see why.

We've only loosened 2A rights in the past twenty years not strengthened them federally. Yet the messaging is pretty consistent is that your guns are at risk if a liberal is in office. Bush Administration let the Brady Bill lapse and since then it has been a gradual loosening of gun laws either through courts or legislation at the state or national level. To think that we actually believe it is a denied right and over-extension of government power asking you not to carry a weapon while on school grounds is just a perversion of the concept of civil liberties and rights. A concept that literally NO ONE in the 2A group pushed more than a decade ago.

People weren't less free in 1990 or even 2000, we just had a shit ton more common sense as to understand that it was reasonable enough to leave your guns at home while attending a football game or a Harry Fritz lecture on barley production in Montana. This is all about the radicalization of gun rights from the center to the right, beyond the norm, and less about what truly is an extension of civil liberties.

What do I know. I'm just an educator who chose the profession because I wasn't good enough to do anything else.

great post.

When I was at UM -- sometime between horse and buggies circling the Oval and teens constantly uploading videos of them cutting their toenails onto TikTok -- guns were allowed for those living in the dorms. But they had to be locked in a gun safe in the basement. This was used predominantly for hunting rifles, but I do know people who had handguns as well.

This mandated that if you wanted your firearm, you had to ask an RA to unlock the safe for you, vastly lowing the chance that the weapon could be used in a harmful manner.

Seemed a more than reasonable approach to all of us. Still does to anyone but a nutjob, I'd argue.

EverettGriz said:
Grizfan-24 said:

People weren't less free in 1990 or even 2000, we just had a shit ton more common sense as to understand that it was reasonable enough to leave your guns at home while attending a football game or a Harry Fritz lecture on barley production in Montana. This is all about the radicalization of gun rights from the center to the right, beyond the norm, and less about what truly is ll an extension of civil liberties.

great post.

Agreed. I would only add the well established science of the underdeveloped prefrontal cortex of young people.

The formula is simple:

Young men’s amygdala + alcohol + young females + firearms = trouble

My view is that the Second Amendment has gotten so political, in part because there really are a lot of liberals, Dems and politicians who do in fact want to take away most guns. This group tends not to have or use guns, and doesn't understand guns for care to understand them. My view is that the NRA, etc. has taken and hardened their stances, due to the "give an inch, they'll want a mile" thin.

PlayerRep said:
My view is that the Second Amendment has gotten so political, in part because there really are a lot of liberals, Dems and politicians who do in fact want to take away most guns. This group tends not to have or use guns, and doesn't understand guns for care to understand them. My view is that the NRA, etc. has taken and hardened their stances, due to the "give an inch, they'll want a mile" thin.
No democrat (or politician) in Montana would ever take away guns. There may be a select few that would want to ban fully automatic assault rifles, but dems in MT mainly want to regulate them with background checks and common sense protocols. What Everett said about the gun safe in the basement of residence halls is actually an idea I could get behind.

EverettGriz said:
When I was at UM -- sometime between horse and buggies circling the Oval and teens constantly uploading videos of them cutting their toenails onto TikTok -- guns were allowed for those living in the dorms. But they had to be locked in a gun safe in the basement. This was used predominantly for hunting rifles, but I do know people who had handguns as well.

This mandated that if you wanted your firearm, you had to ask an RA to unlock the safe for you, vastly lowing the chance that the weapon could be used in a harmful manner.

Seemed a more than reasonable approach to all of us. Still does to anyone but a nutjob, I'd argue.

As far as I know, this has always been the case, and it seems to have worked pretty well.

That reminds me, are hot plates still banned in the dorms because they are deemed too much of a danger?

Latest posts

Back