• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

...regents...

I only think of James Clevenger, Brian Boeder, and their loved ones. And the BOR needs to protect its constitutional authority.

goatcreekgriz said:
I only think of James Clevenger, Brian Boeder, and their loved ones. And the BOR needs to protect its constitutional authority.

Why don't you tell the whole story, asshole? This is a 30 + year old crime, and I doubt most if eGriz know anything about it. Sawed off shotgun. MSU. Mental illness? Provide links, or STFU. Where was the BOR when these two were murdered? Nothing has changed in regard to guns. Sure as hell didn't prevent these two from getting killed, did it? Byers is still in prison, where he belongs. The gun wasn't the problem, the shooter was.

tourist said:
goatcreekgriz said:

Why don't you tell the whole story, asshole? This is a 30 + year old crime, and I doubt most if eGriz know anything about it. Sawed off shotgun. MSU. Mental illness? Provide links, or STFU. Where was the BOR when these two were murdered? Nothing has changed in regard to guns. Sure as hell didn't prevent these two from getting killed, did it? Byers is still in prison, where he belongs. The gun wasn't the problem, the shooter was.

I didn’t call you names and you obviously figured out what happened. Mike Malone’s widow (yeah, you can Google him, too) recently talked about how devastating these murders were. It is really quite revealing that you hide behind your misconceptions about gun rights and try to avoid facts by telling me to shut up.

tourist said:
goatcreekgriz said:

And the immature 18 year old drunk kid who decides to settle an argument in his dorm on campus with a gun, that is, "the shooter", will be the problem when he kills someone. I'm sure parents of college students from all over the state were really pushing for this law to be passed :(

CDA, minus the non link, which goatcreek did not provide, Google the names provided, and MSU, and it will all fall into place.
Goatcreek, what law would have prevented what had happened? Would it have prevented him from bringing in a SAWED-OFF shotgun into the dorm? No. Your argument is worthless.

I figured at some point this bill would be addressed here, I just didn’t think it would take this long. As a very recent graduate of UM (class of 2021), let me try and put into perspective why I think this bill is a bad idea on college campuses.

First, I wanna start by saying that I am absolutely PRO second amendment. I own more than a dozen guns and am proud of it, however, college is a very stressful place. During my 4 years at UM I have had friends, classmates, and met others who have dealt with serious mental health at UM. The last thing I would ever want is for this law to be allowed on campus and some kid commit suicide in the dorms because they’re allowed to carry guns on campus.

There’s also the intimidation factor. Some kid comes back to his dorm drunk and gets into an argument with his buddy. Not only does some kid possibly lose his life, but hundreds of others in the building are also at risk. Who’s to say a kid wouldn’t walk into a professors office and threaten them into giving them a higher grade by pointing a gun at them? How are 300 kids all sitting together in the Urey lecture hall gonna react when a kid pulls out a gun in there?

Overall during my time at UM, the campus culture for the most part has been great. This past year though there were some pretty hurtful things that happened with kids posting racist things on social media and saying some pretty racist things on campus. I don’t even wanna imagine what would’ve happened this past year with the stress and anxiety of COVID, school, and some of the other things that happened on campus and kids were carrying a gun.

I’m not saying a kid would ever shoot a gun on campus, but I’m not gonna lie, it would still be pretty intimidating if you were sitting in class with kids packing pistols, or even walking across campus by a kid carrying one. College is a stressful enough place already. Kids face high anxiety and stress every day, let’s not make it tougher on them. There is always a time and a place to use guns (and use them responsibly), but it’s not on college campuses. Campus is safe enough already with campus police, emergency button poles all over, and security cameras everywhere (in more places then you would ever suspect).

Let’s use guns where they’re supposed to be used and not make kids feel anymore intimidated or stressed out than they already are about school, paying rent, relationships, friends, not seeing family, etc. guns are meant for enjoyment in the outdoors and ranges, and not meant to try and intimidate thousands of stressed out college kids. Like I said, there all kinds of safe resources available on campus to help kids in uncomfortable situations, including many buildings open after hours. Guns are a solution looking for a massive problem on Montana college campuses.

Plainsman said:
tourist said:

And the immature 18 year old drunk kid who decides to settle an argument in his dorm on campus with a gun, that is, "the shooter", will be the problem when he kills someone. I'm sure parents of college students from all over the state were really pushing for this law to be passed :(

:thumb:

tourist said:
CDA, minus the non link, which goatcreek did not provide, Google the names provided, and MSU, and it will all fall into place.
Goatcreek, what law would have prevented what had happened? Would it have prevented him from bringing in a SAWED-OFF shotgun into the dorm? No. Your argument is worthless.
Also google Montana Tech murder on campus in the early 80s guy named Gratzer. He was ex boyfriend who laid in wait outside dorm at night, let the air of his ex’s tires and ambushed and then murdered the poor kid when he walked the girl out to her car in the dark parking lot for her safety to help her with the flats. The poor boy who was killed was the son of a long time MHSA referee. Mind numbingly tragic. He’s serving life plus 10.

I was unfamiliar with the Tech case, being out of state at the time. Sad. But, that said, none of these would have been prevented by any law restricting guns. None. Now that I think about it, there were a couple of students that had handguns, very nice and quality handguns, .357 Mag and .44 Mag, in the dorms back in the day, long before any of these cases, and there was no problem. The problem is the shooter, not the gun.
Let's make this clear, I've carried concealed for decades, wherever I go, grocery store, park, UM, wherever, and I ain't shot anybody, YET. What LAW is gonna keep me in line? None.

tourist said:

I wasn’t offering an argument about gun laws in response to anything you posted and I don’t waste my time engaging with anyone whose first tactic is to hurl personal insults.

If you want to figure out the role of BOR, spend some time reading the 1972 MT Constitution. I’m out.

Griz til I die said:
I figured at some point this bill would be addressed here, I just didn’t think it would take this long. As a very recent graduate of UM (class of 2021), let me try and put into perspective why I think this bill is a bad idea on college campuses.

First, I wanna start by saying that I am absolutely PRO second amendment. I own more than a dozen guns and am proud of it, however, college is a very stressful place. During my 4 years at UM I have had friends, classmates, and met others who have dealt with serious mental health at UM. The last thing I would ever want is for this law to be allowed on campus and some kid commit suicide in the dorms because they’re allowed to carry guns on campus.

There’s also the intimidation factor. Some kid comes back to his dorm drunk and gets into an argument with his buddy. Not only does some kid possibly lose his life, but hundreds of others in the building are also at risk. Who’s to say a kid wouldn’t walk into a professors office and threaten them into giving them a higher grade by pointing a gun at them? How are 300 kids all sitting together in the Urey lecture hall gonna react when a kid pulls out a gun in there?

Overall during my time at UM, the campus culture for the most part has been great. This past year though there were some pretty hurtful things that happened with kids posting racist things on social media and saying some pretty racist things on campus. I don’t even wanna imagine what would’ve happened this past year with the stress and anxiety of COVID, school, and some of the other things that happened on campus and kids were carrying a gun.

I’m not saying a kid would ever shoot a gun on campus, but I’m not gonna lie, it would still be pretty intimidating if you were sitting in class with kids packing pistols, or even walking across campus by a kid carrying one. College is a stressful enough place already. Kids face high anxiety and stress every day, let’s not make it tougher on them. There is always a time and a place to use guns (and use them responsibly), but it’s not on college campuses. Campus is safe enough already with campus police, emergency button poles all over, and security cameras everywhere (in more places then you would ever suspect).

Let’s use guns where they’re supposed to be used and not make kids feel anymore intimidated or stressed out than they already are about school, paying rent, relationships, friends, not seeing family, etc. guns are meant for enjoyment in the outdoors and ranges, and not meant to try and intimidate thousands of stressed out college kids. Like I said, there all kinds of safe resources available on campus to help kids in uncomfortable situations, including many buildings open after hours. Guns are a solution looking for a massive problem on Montana college campuses.

College is stressful? Crap...I'd go back to college in a heartbeat. I had almost zero stress during my time at UM.

I also lived in a house with 6 other dudes each of us with 3-4 guns each. We had massive parties there...no one ever got shot or pulled out a gun...

Just my experience and anecdotal for sure.

SoldierGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

College is stressful? Crap...I'd go back to college in a heartbeat. I had almost zero stress during my time at UM.

I also lived in a house with 6 other dudes each of us with 3-4 guns each. We had massive parties there...no one ever got shot or pulled out a gun...

Just my experience and anecdotal for sure.

You lived off campus obviously. I believe the concern is immature people (guys like Byers)having guns in dorm rooms and on campus places like the u center, Wagriz and Adams center. I wouldn’t want to live in a dorm full of random idiots with access to unlimited alcohol and as many guns as they want. fuck that noise, it’s the worst demographic to allow to arm themselves on a college campus, a recipe for disaster. Seems like another piece of legislation that wasn’t necessary other then to create an issue out of a non issue and own the woke fucking libs.

Latest posts

Back