• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Question For Payton

SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
I think it's fair to say either injuries matter or they don't.

If they're nothing but excuses for us, then they're nothing but excuses for everybody.

Not related to your post above, but didn't Wentz miss like 8 games during one of their championship seasons?

I might have the years screwed up, but I know he missed a bunch of games one season...I think it was his senior season.
Yup, the year we beat them in Missoula. Easton Stick came in and carried them through the season and playoffs until Wentz came back and won in Frisco.

uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:
Not related to your post above, but didn't Wentz miss like 8 games during one of their championship seasons?

I might have the years screwed up, but I know he missed a bunch of games one season...I think it was his senior season.
Yup, the year we beat them in Missoula. Easton Stick came in and carried them through the season and playoffs until Wentz came back and won in Frisco.

And both of them to the nfl...

I haven't read many posts on this.

In my opinion, in the current FCS landscape, GRIZ Nation should have high expectations. To me, a bad year should be nothing less than being a final 8 team. Most years, we should be a true title contender.

Hauck or not, what's holding this program back?
1. Resistance to change philosophy. Too often, we stick with what Hauck feels he WANTS. When in fact we should use different sets, philosophies, and personnel from opponent to opponent, even play to play.

This year, perfect examples are our losses to MSU and NDSU, it's inexcusable, this staff didn't adjust away from our base defense. Instead, they kept it status quo. That base defense made the opposing offenses even stronger!

Secondary examples
This staff hurt the team by stubbornly sticking with Brown for far too long. More accurately, sticking with Brown running the same plays as they ran with Johnson. Wouldn't it make more sense to either change the offense to better suit Brown, or use a qb more suited for your preferred offense? Either way, round peg, square hole.

Don't give us, the other qbs aren't/weren't ready! That likely has merit. However, isn't it the job of coaches to properly adjust to real situations that play out? Rather it be strategy, or personnel adjustments, the staff fell well short in those regards.

Personally, if Hauck would be more open to change and less stubborn, this program would be back to being National Championship FCS elite! If these things happen, the rest falls into place nicely. If not, then we continue these discussions.

Griz Addict said:
uofmman1122 said:

And Stick is 1-1 passing and has made a couple million. I wonder if Wentz is on his way out.

mthoopsfan said:
Griz Addict said:

And Stick is 1-1 passing and has made a couple million. I wonder if Wentz is on his way out.

We should hire NDSU qb coach as our next head coach and their online coach as our offensive coordinator.

uptopgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

We should hire NDSU qb coach as our next head coach and their online coach as our offensive coordinator.
We need an online coach to improve our internet skills?

kemajic said:
uptopgriz said:

You are 100% correct that the whole coaching staff needs some serious PD regarding an online presence. Have you see the MSU Instagram posts with their players and the University?

mtgrizrule said:

In my opinion, in the current FCS landscape, GRIZ Nation should have high expectations. To me, a bad year should be nothing less than being a final 8 team. Most years, we should be a true title contender.

1. Resistance to change philosophy. Too often, we stick with what Hauck feels he WANTS. When in fact we should use different sets, philosophies, and personnel from opponent to opponent, even play to play.

This year, perfect examples are our losses to MSU and NDSU, it's inexcusable, this staff didn't adjust away from our base defense. Instead, they kept it status quo. That base defense made the opposing offenses even stronger!

Secondary examples
This staff hurt the team by stubbornly sticking with Brown for far too long. More accurately, sticking with Brown running the same plays as they ran with Johnson. Wouldn't it make more sense to either change the offense to better suit Brown, or use a qb more suited for your preferred offense? Either way, round peg, square hole.

Don't give us, the other qbs aren't/weren't ready! That likely has merit. However, isn't it the job of coaches to properly adjust to real situations that play out? Rather it be strategy, or personnel adjustments, the staff fell well short in those regards.

Personally, if Hauck would be more open to change and less stubborn, this program would be back to being National Championship FCS elite! If these things happen, the rest falls into place nicely. If not, then we continue these discussions.

I don’t think Hauck is resistant to change.

UM did adjust its defense against MSU. It didn’t work and the Cats played great and clobbered us. The biggest D problem against NDSU was giving up 4 long runs.

UM adjusted the play-calling and offense for both Brown and Britt.

UM had no choice or qb prepared against SS and Weber. And even with more reps for Britt, he wasn’t the answer.

Where are you getting the Hauck is stubborn thing?

uptopgriz said:
kemajic said:

You are 100% correct that the whole coaching staff needs some serious PD regarding an online presence. Have you see the MSU Instagram posts with their players and the University?
I have no use for Instagram.

kemajic said:
uptopgriz said:
I have no use for Instagram.

Same. When I’m the head ball coach, them boys won’t have social media, and I ain’t gonna connect with any of em over it, neither. We’ll go on out to Junction, Texas for 10 days each summer, and only the men will come back. Because this ain’t a game! “Oopty-oop”. Gimme a damned break.

mtgrizrule said:

Secondary examples

I'm pretty sure you've highlighted a number of posters points since the end of the season. Step back and take a look, this isn't new behavior. Same guy coached the team from the beginning of his run, through 2009. Football is significantly different than it was then, as are the players.

Until someone who matters decides that they've had enough of it, plan on seeing more of the same.

Bok_Choi said:
I'm pretty sure you've highlighted a number of posters points since the end of the season. Step back and take a look, this isn't new behavior. Same guy coached the team from the beginning of his run, through 2009. Football is significantly different than it was then, as are the players.

Until someone who matters decides that they've had enough of it, plan on seeing more of the same.
While I neither agree or disagree with the overall premise of this discussion, I would point out one bit of football history.

Yes, football is quite different since back in 2009 ... which means you picked a rather significant year (which had not occurred to me until I looked up that history). According to Wikipedia – supported by coaching comments on other sites – a rule change in 2009 sparked a major change in offensive philosophy. The key change was letting offensive lineman block a couple yards further downfield on a pass play. (Nick Saban was a major complainer about the change, BTW.)

That sparked a huge thrust into what we call the "run-pass option" (RPO). Up to then, something like the RPO had been tried here and there in a hit-or-miss notion, more or less as a version of the triple option. Now, suddenly, it grew into a big deal. Not only did the rule change give the QB more room, it gave him a few more split seconds to see what the defense was doing ... to read his keys. The extra room along the line also gave the OC more leeway in pulling linemen to bolster the "point of attack" on the running part of the option.

Say what you will about BH's "stubbornness," he has certainly made the transition to the RPO. One wonders, aside from the dumpster fire that was/is UNLV football, if the transition to an RPO approach was part of what made his stay there so disastrous.

UNLV is and has been a disaster. No one is successful there. 7-23 in last 3 seasons. Hauck is the last coach to have a winning record there, I believe. Last coach to take them to a bowl game.

Bok_Choi said:
mtgrizrule said:

Secondary examples

If I was Bobby, I would simply recruit all the best players to a town in Montana and win all the games in which I coached. If he hasn’t tried this strategy, I think it’s worth a shot.

mthoopsfan said:
UNLV is and has been a disaster. No one is successful there. 7-23 in last 3 seasons. Hauck is the last coach to have a winning record there, I believe. Last coach to take them to a bowl game.
I believe you're right about the last bowl game.

The thing is, boosters thought that replacing their old (1971) stadium with something modern would turn the program around. So, Vegas builds a domed stadium – home of the NFL Raiders, etc. Didn't do diddly-squat to help UNLV football. "Best laid plans ... " :)

CDAGRIZ said:
Bok_Choi said:

If I was Bobby, I would simply recruit all the best players to a town in Montana and win all the games in which I coached. If he hasn’t tried this strategy, I think it’s worth a shot.
The trolls claim he's too stubborn to make such a change.

CDAGRIZ said:
Bok_Choi said:

2a50a6de84db99fb075cacf498ea576791fc3bf5547528dbd444ea3dfe48abc7.jpg

AZGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

2a50a6de84db99fb075cacf498ea576791fc3bf5547528dbd444ea3dfe48abc7.jpg

I wonder if any of those trolls have met him or been around him? Egriz has attracted a lot of stupid posters lately.

kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:
The trolls claim he's too stubborn to make such a change.

Well, even if he did, they’d say he didn’t do it the “right” way.

Back