• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Offensive Line

Spanky, I think you have to understand JC football. It is made up of players that are D1 athletes but don't have the grades and kids that are not D1 type athletes coming out of high school and hope to get that shot if the progress at a JC. JC kids being recruited by FBS schools are the those kids working on qualifying. Not all JC players are the same, and in some cases not even close. It is not very often those D1 type athletes fall to the FCS level, they either make the grade and sign FBS or don't and dropout. The FCS bunch is those other kids that show some promise at JC, but still are a little raw.

Box, I think I understand JC football. Perhaps, not as well as you. Yes, I understand the more talented JC players go to the FBS schools, but does that translate to not trying and acceptance of the current plight of the OL? Are we destined to continued NAIA level OL performance?

Spanky2 said:
Box, I think I understand JC football. Perhaps, not as well as you. Yes, I understand the more talented JC players go to the FBS schools, but does that translate to not trying and acceptance of the current plight of the OL? Are we destined to continued NAIA level OL performance?

Spanky, I didn't say not try, I am saying that the chances of a JC guy coming in at the FCS level and making an impact right away are not very good.

Maynardsgametrail said:
PlayerRep said:
Has UM ever had a JC o-lineman come in and start the first year?

Wasn’t there a Sabin kid that came in from a JC a few years back and started right away?

Good memory.

"Montana: Stephen will start for the second season in a row, but this season it will be at center, not guard.

2010: He started in nine games at offensive left guard and missed the two contests (Weber State and North Dakota) because of an injury. He joined the Grizzlies in the winter of 2010."

Tuufulli was a great OT for the Griz and went on to play in the NFL. Many posters don’t believe we can get JC transfers as it’s only the FBS schools that can. Well, I hope Bobby Hauck doesn’t share that opinion.

AZGrizFan said:
mtgrizfankb said:
Spanky2 said:
I hope 265 is correct about the OL. It has been ineffective for 3-4 years. In my view, we need 2-3 stud transfers to supplement the efforts of the current players. Maybe we aren’t able to get them? I don’t know the answer. As for Germer, that’s Bobby’s call.

This post is incorrect. The OL was not ineffective for 3-4 years. we ran schemes that were ineffective. in fact in 2016 we had 3 OL that all got on the All big sky teams. we are not going to get 2-3 STUD transfers...that doesn't happen on the OL anywhere so its not going to happen for a FCS school. as previously mentioned we have 18 OL on the roster 8 of them True Freshman. You can't bail on those guys and their development. We will have 2 starters that were injured 2 that are seniors next year. Overall we will be MUCH improved next year on a line that improved quite a bit as the year went on, not a single starter in our final game was even 300 pounds. That will change quite a bit next year as well.

I'm with you, kb. Glass half-full kind of guy WRT the O-Line and their potential.

I want to join your club...but honestly there is NO evidence to support this. Despite talk of "nasty streaks" of those in redshirts or on the bench. For years, the mantra has been....just wait til next year, and after a year or two in the weight room etc...

I'm not buying it. But, I have cash ready to do so.

I guess we have to wait 2 or 3 years until the recruits gain weight before the OL starts blocking.

I've seen a lot of 300 pound ladies in Walmart....not one can play FCS football. So tired of just give them some time to add weight excuses.

Last night's NFL game the stud center they said weighed 285. He is strong, fast and great technique. A 300 pound marshmallow that can't bench their own weight will once again be thrown around like a rag doll in a game.

It appears that most of the criticism here is directed at the offensive line. I have an issue with this coaching staff's short yardage strategy. I can speak from experience and and trust me, you can have 300 Lbs, guards and tackles, that cannot move off the line with enough momentum to move forward with any consistency. I can assure you that the defensive line will get in a Gap defense submarine and pinch, with LB'ers coming over the top. That said, the A Gap cannot handle 850 lbs of humanity, and the B gap likewise. I ask you ? How many times during the Stitt Era, and the Rookie season for the Hauck staff has the A gap strategy succeeded?? The successful coaching staffs have the ability to place their kids in a position that compliments their strengths. and I hope the Griz have a great Off Season. I personally would go to war with what we have now. Including retaining the entire staff..

Ursus1 said:
I've seen a lot of 300 pound ladies in Walmart....not one can play FCS football. So tired of just give them some time to add weight excuses.

Last night's NFL game the stud center they said weighed 285. He is strong, fast and great technique. A 300 pound marshmallow that can't bench their own weight will once again be thrown around like a rag doll in a game.

THIS!!!!!! Doesn't do any good to have 320+ guys when they can't lift weight, or move their fat ass around. Sure you'll be a nice speedbump but I promise you the defense will get around you in due time. We need athletes with an attitude.

Spanky2 said:
Tuufulli was a great OT for the Griz and went on to play in the NFL. Many posters don’t believe we can get JC transfers as it’s only the FBS schools that can. Well, I hope Bobby Hauck doesn’t share that opinion.

Not sure anyone believes that. What most are saying is the most JC guys that end up at FCS schools are raw, middle of the road for FCS, and mostly brought in for depth. Can some make a difference, sure, but thinking a couple JC guys will take the OL from outhouse to penthouse is naive.

grizindabox said:
Spanky2 said:

Not sure anyone believes that. What most are saying is the most JC guys that end up at FCS schools are raw, middle of the road for FCS, and mostly brought in for depth. Can some make a difference, sure, but thinking a couple JC guys will take the OL from outhouse to penthouse is naive.

My view too. This has seemed to be the way things have been in the last couple decades. But Sabin was an exception.

Gentlemen, Gentlemen....you don’t think Uperesa was a great OL? I realize he was before your time!

Spanky2 said:
Gentlemen, Gentlemen....you don’t think Uperesa was a great OL? I realize he was before your time!

You are trying to use 1 guy, an exception to the rule, as the rule....

And no one stated any such thing about him.

Reading comprehension seems to evade you.

Box, we seem to have come up with two, not one. Why are you fighting this? If we can recruit some JC Transfers, what is wrong with that? We haven’t failed until we have failed.

Spanky2 said:
Box, we seem to have come up with two, not one. Why are you fighting this? If we can recruit some JC Transfers, what is wrong with that? We haven’t failed until we have failed.

Once again, I have never said don't recruit from JC.

Box you are the one that said FCS JC transfers are raw, middle of the road. I’m saying Uperesa wasn’t raw or middle of the road.
How did you become an expert on JC transfers?

Back