• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

More FYI to chew on....Kemp and JJ

I was a big JJ fan his frosh year after attended many fall practices, and watching him look better in practice than either Selle or Roper. But, after watching him live in real games, it appears that he lacks one key quality which is essential to be a great college QB. That is, he does not seem to make good decisions about when and where to throw the ball. How any times this season has he thrown into coverage? He weaknesses possibly come from his inability to read defensive coverages.

This may be due to his lack of experience. However, Cole Berquist and Denarius McGhee both played as frosh, and seem to have no problem with this quality. Some QBs are never able to master this. We all know how devastating turnovers (i.e. interceptions) are, and JJ has given up too many this year for my tastes.

Gaeilge1 said:
jcu27 wrote:

jcu27 said:
JJ is the youngest and he will be better than Kemp and Montana combined by the time he's a senior assuming he doesn't go out with an injury.

This reminded me of one of my favorite quotes of all time, from John Maynard Keynes when discussing the difference between short term and long term economic policy. He said, "In the long run we are all dead!"

In the long run JJ may prove to be the best of the three, but at the moment I am not interested in the long run. I am interested in who gives us the best chance to prevail tomorrow. Next week I will be interested in who gives us the best chance to win then. I'll worry about next season once this one is over.
JJ needs all the experience he can get to get better. He'll be better than both of them by the end of the season if he keeps starting. Just not both of them together. That hopefully will happen next year or when is a senior

Growler1 said:
I was a big JJ fan his frosh year after attended many fall practices, and watching him look better in practice than either Selle or Roper. But, after watching him live in real games, it appears that he lacks one key quality which is essential to be a great college QB. That is, he does not seem to make good decisions about when and where to throw the ball. How any times this season has he thrown into coverage? He weaknesses possibly come from his inability to read defensive coverages.

This may be due to his lack of experience. However, Cole Berquist and Denarius McGhee both played as frosh, and seem to have no problem with this quality. Some QBs are never able to master this. We all know how devastating turnovers (i.e. interceptions) are, and JJ has given up too many this year for my tastes.
Every football is basically thrown into coverage. Not many times will people be just wide open unless its FBS vs FCS. JJ will make plenty of mistakes. He's young, once again. He'll learn from the and excell. He won't get worse or anything just better. Not much to worry about when it comes to him. Also other BSC teams are better this year than previously. At least imo. So can't really compare QBs from then to now. Weaker teams = more oppurtunities for the QB and team as a whole. Better teams = more crap will happen, i.e. fumbles, picks, and sacks. It's not really fair to compare him to other QBs.

so if i read the oregano guy's posts right, he thinks jj isn't the best qb, so the griz need to play him instead of the better qbs - in order for him to become the better qb later in his career?

sigh.

jcu27 said:
Growler1 said:

Every football is basically thrown into coverage. Not many times will people be just wide open unless its FBS vs FCS. JJ will make plenty of mistakes. He's young, once again. He'll learn from the and excell. He won't get worse or anything just better. Not much to worry about when it comes to him. Also other BSC teams are better this year than previously. At least imo. So can't really compare QBs from then to now. Weaker teams = more oppurtunities for the QB and team as a whole. Better teams = more crap will happen, i.e. fumbles, picks, and sacks. It's not really fair to compare him to other QBs.
so you dont feel comfortable making a comparison in McGhee's first year starting to JJ's....the league hasnt changed that much in a year.....

jcu27 said:
Growler1 said:

so you dont feel comfortable making a comparison in McGhee's first year starting to JJ's....the league hasnt changed that much in a year.....

JJ hardly played last year. Roper was 5 times worse than any of our current QBS though, if you want to compare to last year. McGhee isn't JJ. People excell differently and maybe McGhee is just better? McGhee is a great QB. Kind of just natural for him. I would take McGhee over all of our QBs put together. Kids a beast.

JJ was being compared to Berquist. He hasn't been with the Griz in years.. No QB should really even be compared to any other. They each have their own style and preferences. UM doesn't have crap for QBs right now honestly.

We haven 2 QBs that are good for this system even though they both suck at throwing deep balls. Montana and Smitchwick seem to me like they'd be the type to play for Hauck's system. If we had a great QB he would be able to run this offense very well. Being able to throw deep passes and run just as good. Even though that basically doesn't exist in FCS besides few. We have not even average QBs. We need a new QB coach who also happen to be the offensive coordinator(I do believe if I remember right). He just needs to be canned. We need to start recruiting better QBs that fit the system better to. Also need way faster players to be recruited on defense. Need better recruiting in general honestly.

jcu27 said:
We haven 2 QBs that are good for this system even though they both suck at throwing deep balls. Montana and Smitchwick seem to me like they'd be the type to play for Hauck's system. If we had a great QB he would be able to run this offense very well. Being able to throw deep passes and run just as good. Even though that basically doesn't exist in FCS besides few. We have not even average QBs. We need a new QB coach who also happen to be the offensive coordinator(I do believe if I remember right). He just needs to be canned. We need to start recruiting better QBs that fit the system better to. Also need way faster players to be recruited on defense. Need better recruiting in general honestly.

Wow JCU - i don't know how you did it - but i got high just reading this...... :thumb:

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
teames said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
teames said:
I posted this in another thread and it seems to fit here too.

I don't post on Egriz often but after reading everything this week and last week, I have to post my thoughts on the subject.
JJ understands the offense better than kemp or Montana. He is smoother in the zone read plays,and he reads defenses better in the passing game. He has one MAJOR flaw. Size. I would venture to say that he isn't even 5' 10" tall. JJ isn't Dave D. We can't expect great results in the passing game when our QB can't even see over the lineman. I don't mean this as a knock either. I really wish JJ were a couple inches taller because he could be an All American if that were the case. But he isn't and therefore will be a very average QB even though his skill level is great. In the game of football size really matters 95% of the time, especially at QB.
Kemp is an all around better athlete,he is a beast running the ball and he showed on Saturday that he can throw the ball well enough to keep defenses honest.
We need someone who can see the field because guys like Moutra and Sambrano will beat the d back guarding them 9 out of 10 times. Just get them the damn ball in stride.

If Pflu and co. want to keep their job in the future, they better find a true dual threat QB to run this offense. Someone with size and speed who can throw the ball accurately. Hard to do at this level I know, but they are choosing to run this offense so they better recruit the hell out of the most important position in the spread option.

Thats my 2 cents.

Doug Flutie, Fran Tarkenton, Joe Theismann, Pat Haden and Dan Fouts all told me to tell you hello..........:coffee:

There are exceptions to every rule. JJ is not one of the exceptions. Like I said, he has great skill but he doesn't have the size to succeed at this level. He reminds me of a Mark Desin only quicker, both are great athletes but Mark struggled playing QB at this level, and so far JJ has too. I just don't see it getting significantly better.

There are more great QBs under 6 foot in this country than there are over 6 foot.

Its not an exception its just that the smaller guys dont get the chances a taller athlete does. Desin would have been great if given the reigns but we all know he didnt start 4 games in a row he just filled in during injuries or for a series here and there.

Nice try but JJ is the real deal and hes hands down without question the best "QB" we have on our roster.
I agree Desin would have been fine if given some time to develope and JJ will to. I loved your post about the shorter QB's Alpha but why did you include Fouts? He was not short at all especially for the time.

argh! said:
so if i read the oregano guy's posts right, he thinks jj isn't the best qb, so the griz need to play him instead of the better qbs - in order for him to become the better qb later in his career?

sigh.
It's funny you keep saying the oregano guy when you are the one who thought hash was made from smoke resin. I think JJ is the best QB on our team. He is more balanced out imo. He needs to start and play more so he can get way better. Not that hard to understand. Basically everyone is wanting Kemp when he is more of a one dimensional QB and it's not a throwing one. I'd rather have just a QB that could pass great than one who could run great, but this scheme doesn't go like that.

funny water said:
jcu27 said:

Wow JCU - i don't know how you did it - but i got high just reading this...... :thumb:
I see I give you a natural high. Do you have a crush on me?

jcu27 said:
argh! said:

sigh.
It's funny you keep saying the oregano guy when you are the one who thought hash was made from smoke resin. I think JJ is the best QB on our team. He is more balanced out imo. He needs to start and play more so he can get way better. Not that hard to understand. Basically everyone is wanting Kemp when he is more of a one dimensional QB and it's not a throwing one. I'd rather have just a QB that could pass great than one who could run great, but this scheme doesn't go like that.

:lol: :roll:

Continuing to state that like its fact doesn't make it so. :? :?

8/10, 80% completion rate, 2 TD's, 0 INT's
64/113, 56% completion rate, 5 TD's, 5 INT's

AZGrizFan said:
jcu27 said:
argh! said:

sigh.

comprehension and common sense do not appear to be JCU qualities....... :shock:

jcu27 said:
argh! said:

sigh.

no, i said hash was made from resin, which it is. i also said that the resinous substance that accumulates in pot pipes has thc in it. while not close to pure, it contains resin precipitate. it is not, as you called it, "tobacco".

man you are dumb.

funny water said:
AZGrizFan said:
jcu27 said:
argh! said:

sigh.

comprehension and common sense do not appear to be JCU qualities....... :shock:

What REALLY kills me when people keep saying that is that during the UNC game Kemp made EVERY throw you could ask a QB to make. On the run, rolling out (right AND left), across the body, touch passes, timing passes, floaters, zingers, long, short...you name it----he did it. How anyone could come away from that game still thinking he's one dimensional I don't know...

AZ - the only thing i've seen GK not be able to do is throw the pitch on the option. He's had a couple of rough attempts with the pitch. I like JJ and think he will do well but also think GK gives the Griz the best opportunity for W's right now. Also have no problem airing it out with Montana - get Moutra and Sambrano deep a couple times. That will only open up the running game....

Back