• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

More FYI to chew on....Kemp and JJ

putter said:
I remember seeing a picture posted of them standing side by side. There seems to be a larger difference between the two than just 1 inch.

And 13lbs.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
teames said:
I posted this in another thread and it seems to fit here too.

I don't post on Egriz often but after reading everything this week and last week, I have to post my thoughts on the subject.
JJ understands the offense better than kemp or Montana. He is smoother in the zone read plays,and he reads defenses better in the passing game. He has one MAJOR flaw. Size. I would venture to say that he isn't even 5' 10" tall. JJ isn't Dave D. We can't expect great results in the passing game when our QB can't even see over the lineman. I don't mean this as a knock either. I really wish JJ were a couple inches taller because he could be an All American if that were the case. But he isn't and therefore will be a very average QB even though his skill level is great. In the game of football size really matters 95% of the time, especially at QB.
Kemp is an all around better athlete,he is a beast running the ball and he showed on Saturday that he can throw the ball well enough to keep defenses honest.
We need someone who can see the field because guys like Moutra and Sambrano will beat the d back guarding them 9 out of 10 times. Just get them the damn ball in stride.

If Pflu and co. want to keep their job in the future, they better find a true dual threat QB to run this offense. Someone with size and speed who can throw the ball accurately. Hard to do at this level I know, but they are choosing to run this offense so they better recruit the hell out of the most important position in the spread option.

Thats my 2 cents.

Doug Flutie, Fran Tarkenton, Joe Theismann, Pat Haden and Dan Fouts all told me to tell you hello..........:coffee:

You have 5 QBs out of the thousands there have been in history. These are outliers, so you're assuming JJ is also an outlier. You wanna bet on that slim chance?

BDizzle said:
putter said:
I remember seeing a picture posted of them standing side by side. There seems to be a larger difference between the two than just 1 inch.

And 13lbs.
Gonna have to go with the Montanagrizzlies.com over a couple of guys on egriz taking a guess ;). I thought JJ looked pretty stout, but no doubt, Kemp is more of a beast! Like them both!

I was at the airport before the SAC game. JJ walked by me. Im 5'11 225 lbs and he was much smaller than me. I was actually surprised at how small he is.I would guess 5-10 and maybe 180-185 at best. Its no wonder he cant throw the longball. He really needs to hit the weight room! On the other note Kemp looked huge..I thought he had to be close to 6'2-6-3 and at least 220 and he had some huge arms.Ill be really surprised if JJ makes it thru the season without getting hurt again.

I posted a pic with JJ standing next to GK. I noted the eye level to everyone. If GK is 6'2" then JJ is 5'10" because his eyes were 4" lower than Kemp's. Tough seeing over 6'8" linemen and seeing an open receiver way down field. Thus the short pass accuracy and the long pass interceptions.

Here's a thought. Who gives a fuck about how much they weigh or how tall they are. 6'1 5'10 big fucking difference...

I care that JJ's thrown 4 interceptions in the last 2 games he played in but everyone else seems to be looking for other reasons to bench him. The Kemp-Montana combo is better than JJ regardless of the fact that JJ is small.

Like many I am not a proponent of rotating qb's in general, but in the case of the 2011 Griz it seems to make alot of sense. I fully understand and appreciate the continuity argument. However there are 3 qb's on the roster all with varying skill sets. More to the point it seems that this year unlike the past two years, when it was obvious that the players had a preference of one qb over the other, all three appear to have the confidence of the rest of the team. Certainly this is true with JJ and Kemp and Montana made a case for himself this past weekend.

Therefore why not use the qb whose skill set gives you the best opportunity to win that week? Based on BW's well researched and well documented scouting report it would seem that Kemp may be the best option to run the offense this week. The opponent has not shown any propensity in stopping the run, (212 yards for PSU qb Kavanaugh last week in a home game), and Kemp is simply stated, the better runner from the qb position.

I think Kramer is a great coach and it is true that he has had some past success against UM teams that have featured a more ball control offense than the one we are running now. Further, we have generally had only one qb for which Kramer has had to prepare. With potentially three his job gets more difficult.

Our best weapon going into this game and indeed the rest of the season may be to not name a starting qb at all and just make the opposition guess.

Gaeilge1 said:
Like many I am not a proponent of rotating qb's in general, but in the case of the 2011 Griz it seems to make alot of sense. I fully understand and appreciate the continuity argument. However there are 3 qb's on the roster all with varying skill sets. More to the point it seems that this year unlike the past two years, when it was obvious that the players had a preference of one qb over the other, all three appear to have the confidence of the rest of the team. Certainly this is true with JJ and Kemp and Montana made a case for himself this past weekend.

Therefore why not use the qb whose skill set gives you the best opportunity to win that week? Based on BW's well researched and well documented scouting report it would seem that Kemp may be the best option to run the offense this week. The opponent has not shown any propensity in stopping the run, (212 yards for PSU qb Kavanaugh last week in a home game), and Kemp is simply stated, the better runner from the qb position.

I think Kramer is a great coach and it is true that he has had some past success against UM teams that have featured a more ball control offense than the one we are running now. Further, we have generally had only one qb for which Kramer has had to prepare. With potentially three his job gets more difficult.

Our best weapon going into this game and indeed the rest of the season may be to not name a starting qb at all and just make the opposition guess.

I agree - and I also like rotating the quarterbacks based on game planning and competitive advantage rather than on who made the last mistake.

Gaeilge1 said:

Well, right up until the Montana offense took the field against UNC the announcers were expecting JJ at the helm...they were as surprised as anybody when Montana trotted out there. This despite the fact Pflu said all week JJ was the starter... :cool: :cool: :cool:

Crazy like a fox, that Pflu guy.... ;)

Again I am glad that egriz is not coaching our team! The coach will put in the player that does the best for our team, period. JJ threw interceptions because we as a team were getting out played by Sac. Sac played an "A" game against us. Very few mistakes. Watch when they played MSU, they made major mistake after another.

I think JJ is a great player and will continue to get better. Kemp is good also along with Montana. I hope all see action this saturday. I would start JJ if he is healthy and go from there.

For those of you that do not like rotation of QBs why are you not bitching about the running back rotation?
Further, just how easy is it to prepare for the Griz when you have six (or more) change ups in the back field? Kramer is a great coach and you will listen to him state that the griz are a good team and hard to prepare for, right after this game!

I believe that the spread option, being a dynamic read kind of offense relies less on rhythm and timing than a proset offense and so is less perturbed by the platooning of QBs. The question is whether the QBs playing can effective make the right reads and do the right things with the ball. I have believed from the beginning that JJ can run the offense but certainly his interceptions in the game against Sac St suggest that he has a bit to learn. To me the question was whether Kemp and Montana could also get the job done. Though UNC is not the toughest test I believe Kemp proved that he can get the job done quite nicely. Montana has so far proved he can be a role player so I think the Griz will be just fine with the QB weapons that they have.

Question: Why is the font for Montana on the front of the jersey larger than one for the player's name?

Answer: So Nate knows when he has his uniform on right... ;)

jj didn't throw interceptions because the team was getting outplayed. i'm sorry, but that is just silly.

argh! said:
jj didn't throw interceptions because the team was getting outplayed. i'm sorry, but that is just silly.

Agreed. Moutra and Sambrano have enough speed to get behind the defenders more than just occasionly. Arm strength is needed to get it there without them slowing down or stopping the route. This allowed the defenders to close, thus triple coverage, which JJ couldn't see. He really has only had one average to good half of football in all the games he's played.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Nice try but JJ is the real deal and hes hands down without question the best "QB" we have on our roster.

**Disclaimer** I like all 3 QBs.

But JJ is not the real deal and hands down without question the best "QB" we have on our roster when he throws up a wing and a prayer into triple and double coverage for multiple interceptions in a game.

I hope the youngin Johnson has learned from his Sac State debacle, and from Kemp's and Montana's outstanding N Colo game...

Go Johnson, Kemp and Montana...GO GRIZ :!: :!: :!:

JJ is the youngest and he will be better than Kemp and Montana combined by the time he's a senior assuming he doesn't go out with an injury.

jcu27 said:
JJ is the youngest and he will be better than Kemp and Montana combined by the time he's a senior assuming he doesn't go out with an injury.
by saying this your kind of implying that he is not quite there yet? am i right? i hope by the time he is a senior he is better than 2 men put together, that would be great for our program....but i think a lot of people would like to see some results this year and not have to wait till the 2013 season

jcu27 wrote:

jcu27 said:

This reminded me of one of my favorite quotes of all time, from John Maynard Keynes when discussing the difference between short term and long term economic policy. He said, "In the long run we are all dead!"

In the long run JJ may prove to be the best of the three, but at the moment I am not interested in the long run. I am interested in who gives us the best chance to prevail tomorrow. Next week I will be interested in who gives us the best chance to win then. I'll worry about next season once this one is over.

becker2117 said:
jcu27 said:
by saying this your kind of implying that he is not quite there yet? am i right? i hope by the time he is a senior he is better than 2 men put together, that would be great for our program....but i think a lot of people would like to see some results this year and not have to wait till the 2013 season
Yes you are right. I've said it before. It doesn't matter what people would like to see. He is young and needs more time to learn.

Back