• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

More Corruption in College Sports

SaskGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
This entire thread is about the kid from Bama who was involved with a murder by retuning a gun to a now former player shortly before someone was killed with it. That former player is now indicted on capital murder charges while this kid who is a future lottery pick has been allowed to play the entire season.

https://twitter.com/JTalty/status/1634652641413275650?s=20
Yeah, sorry, I know about the Alabama basketball shooting. I'd assumed that "hopes and prayers" had covered that and then the NCAA would take care of any athletic repercussions. I'm pretty sure returning any gun is covered under the second amendment. If only the victim had been better armed, with body armor and assault weapons like the cops in Uvalde, Texas.

Ya, I’m pretty sure the current bama player didn’t break any laws regardless of weather he knew why the owner of the gun wanted it back or not. That’s a whole different debate. My post was directed at the asshole fan that you appeared to be defending.

alabamagrizzly said:
SaskGriz said:
Yeah, sorry, I know about the Alabama basketball shooting. I'd assumed that "hopes and prayers" had covered that and then the NCAA would take care of any athletic repercussions. I'm pretty sure returning any gun is covered under the second amendment. If only the victim had been better armed, with body armor and assault weapons like the cops in Uvalde, Texas.

Ya, I’m pretty sure the current bama player didn’t break any laws regardless of weather he knew why the owner of the gun wanted it back or not. That’s a whole different debate. My post was directed at the asshole fan that you appeared to be defending.
yeah, I get that, all I'm sayin' is that in a huge country of 330 million; you're going to disagree with a few folks. This guy reckons he's "redneck comedy tour" with that. Most people think he's a cunt. He's got the right to be that cunt and that is what makes our country great and a few "Sabin", "Bobcat" "ISIS" fans.

SaskGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
yeah, I get that, all I'm sayin' is that in a huge country of 330 million; you're going to disagree with a few folks. This guy reckons he's "redneck comedy tour" with that. Most people think he's a cunt. He's got the right to be that cunt and that is what makes our countries great and a few "Sabin", "Bobcat" "ISIS" fans.

SaskGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
yeah, I get that, all I'm sayin' is that in a huge country of 330 million; you're going to disagree with a few folks. This guy reckons he's "redneck comedy tour" with that. Most people think he's a C-word. He's got the right to be that C-word and that is what makes our country great and a few "Sabin", "Bobcat" "ISIS" fans.

Well the SEC disagrees he has that right inside their venue and I’m sure that DeCarla Cotton and Delvin Heard would agree with them. I know I do. If Disneyworld can make me change my shirt that says “God Bless Montana…except Bozeman, F u c k Bozeman” then Bridgestone Arena and the SEC can deny this guys ticket to the game where he does not have the right to be a c word.

SaskGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
yeah, I get that, all I'm sayin' is that in a huge country of 330 million; you're going to disagree with a few folks. This guy reckons he's "redneck comedy tour" with that. Most people think he's a C-word. He's got the right to be that C-word and that is what makes our country great and a few "Sabin", "Bobcat" "ISIS" fans.

It hurts the SEC brand.

alabamagrizzly said:
This is what’s wrong with Alabama fans and why I can’t stand em.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sec-threatens-fans-with-ejection-for-wearing-shirts-joking-about-brandon-millers-role-in-fatal-shooting-000306277.html

VSCIB6QC2FBBRMG3UHXCMG3R64.jpg

If I want first hand source material about Alabama, I go to our own source, alabamagrizzly. "“If you're afraid of getting a rotten apple, don't go to the barrel. Get it off the tree.” (from 'The Untouchables,'' 2011).
By any chance, is this the same guy who poisoned the trees on Auburn's campus a few years back?

3-7-77 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
This is what’s wrong with Alabama fans and why I can’t stand em.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sec-threatens-fans-with-ejection-for-wearing-shirts-joking-about-brandon-millers-role-in-fatal-shooting-000306277.html

VSCIB6QC2FBBRMG3UHXCMG3R64.jpg

If I want first hand source material about Alabama, I go to our own source, alabamagrizzly. "“If you're afraid of getting a rotten apple, don't go to the barrel. Get it off the tree.” (from 'The Untouchables,'' 2011).
By any chance, is this the same guy who poisoned the trees on Auburn's campus a few years back?

You mean the one that had “too much Bama in him”? No, he died a couple years ago. Most Bama fans are this way though. They’re the reason my two favorite teams are the Griz and who ever’s playin Bama that week.

Jalen Carter, the late night road racer involved in the wreck of the other car, killing two people...it over. Pleaded no contest to Reckless Driving/Racing, sentenced to PROBATION for 12 months, fined $1,000, and has to complete 80 hr community service, and attend 'defensive driving' course. That oughta teach him. :roll:

Now, if he did this in Montana, and in the process of the carnage, killed a free range cow....they'd be dusting of the 'galloping gallows.'

3-7-77 said:
Jalen Carter, the late night road racer involved in the wreck of the other car, killing two people...it over. Pleaded no contest to Reckless Driving/Racing, sentenced to PROBATION for 12 months, fined $1,000, and has to complete 80 hr community service, and attend 'defensive driving' course. That oughta teach him. :roll:

Now, if he did this in Montana, and in the process of the carnage, killed a free range cow....they'd be dusting of the 'galloping gallows.'

One thing that I thought was interesting was that, according to his lawyer, he didn't leave the scene until he had permission to do so. I feel like this would be a fascinating case to look at after everything has been wrapped up to see what was thought to have happened vs what was reported to have happened.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
3-7-77 said:

One thing that I thought was interesting was that, according to his lawyer, he didn't leave the scene until he had permission to do so. I feel like this would be a fascinating case to look at after everything has been wrapped up to see what was thought to have happened vs what was reported to have happened.

I don't think that's accurate. I read that he left the scene, but then came back like an hour later. Initially, lied when he got back. Said he heard the crash and eventually came over. Then said the truth.

"Per the report, Carter initially told police he was more than a mile away from the accident when it happened, but later said he was close enough to the car to see its taillights.

According to police documents reviewed by the AJC, Carter left the scene of the accident before emergency personnel and officers arrived before returning 90 minutes later. He then told police he was traveling alongside the other car, whose speedometer stuck on impact at 83 mph — double the speed limit, per the AJC."

https://247sports.com/Article/Ex-Georgia-star-Jalen-Carter-was-present-at-scene-of-fatal-crash-that-killed-teammate-staffer-report-205518061/

mthoopsfan said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

I don't think that's accurate. I read that he left the scene, but then came back like an hour later. Initially, lied when he got back. Said he heard the crash and eventually came over. Then said the truth.

"Per the report, Carter initially told police he was more than a mile away from the accident when it happened, but later said he was close enough to the car to see its taillights.

According to police documents reviewed by the AJC, Carter left the scene of the accident before emergency personnel and officers arrived before returning 90 minutes later. He then told police he was traveling alongside the other car, whose speedometer stuck on impact at 83 mph — double the speed limit, per the AJC."

https://247sports.com/Article/Ex-Georgia-star-Jalen-Carter-was-present-at-scene-of-fatal-crash-that-killed-teammate-staffer-report-205518061/
thanks. I was going by a statement from his lawyer:
https://twitter.com/SethWEmerson/status/1636381513104367626?s=20

The investigating officer(s) have gotta be pissed. Sifting through the physical evidence, witness(s) statements, skid marks, taking pictures, tagging and bagging the dead, and later interviewing the others, then getting lied to by Carter(a major offense, in itself), putting it all together, again, like Humpty Dumpty, and THIS is the outcome??? I'd like to hear from these officers about what they think of the outcome.

mthoopsfan said:
SaskGriz said:

It hurts the SEC brand.

It hurts nothing about the SEC brand
No one will give 2 shits about in the Fall...and certainly not while an SEC team is playing in the Natty.

This crap simply doesn't matter...

SoldierGriz said:
mthoopsfan said:
It hurts the SEC brand.

It hurts nothing about the SEC brand
No one will give 2 poop about in the Fall...and certainly not while an SEC team is playing in the Natty.

This crap simply doesn't matter...

The only “SEC brand” that people care about is that it’s a pipeline to the NFL and now the NBA.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
mthoopsfan said:

thanks. I was going by a statement from his lawyer:
https://twitter.com/SethWEmerson/status/1636381513104367626?s=20

Who told him he could leave if he left before police and ER people arrived?

mthoopsfan said:

I have no clue - no idea if it is just his lawyer spinning things or not. I'd be interested to know - but that quote is directly from his lawyer.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
mthoopsfan said:

I have no clue - no idea if it is just his lawyer spinning things or not. I'd be interested to know - but that quote is directly from his lawyer.

I had seen what the lawyer said, but had also seen the below info. I wonder if the lawyer was trying to conflate that the cops had told him he could after he had come back to the scene 90 minutes later. In particular, see the damages from the power lines on his car (at bottom of the quotes). He's been lying a lot. His attorney has been twisting stuff. I wonder if the families of the 2 people killed will bring a civil lawsuit eventually, and then we'll learn more about what happened. I think he was racing and next to the woman's vehicle when she crashed. My guess is that his lawyer lobbied hard against more serious charges, and the cops/prosecutor were inclined to cut Carter and Georgia football a break.

1. "When the police filed charges against Carter, officers described a manic scene leading to the crash, which occurred about 2:45 a.m. after a citywide celebration of the team’s latest national championship. While driving from a downtown strip club to a Waffle House three miles away, Carter’s Jeep Cherokee Trackhawk and the rented Ford Expedition driven by LeCroy “switched between lanes, drove in opposite lanes of travel, overtook other motorists and drove at high rates of speed, in an apparent attempt to outdistance each other,” the police said.

Carter “never left the scene of the accident without being told he could leave,” Stephens said in a statement. In a later interview with the Journal-Constitution, however, Stephens said he didn’t know who cleared Carter’s departure.

“It was somebody who he knew to have authority,” Stephens said. “I don’t know if it was directly from law enforcement.”

"Carter stopped for gas on the way home and returned to the crash site when he learned the police wanted to question him, Stephens said. At the time, according to documents reviewed by the Journal-Constitution, Carter denied racing or even driving fast."

"The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported he had left the scene of the fatal crash, apparently before authorities arrived. Documents reviewed by the Journal-Constitution showed that Carter was summoned back to the scene about an hour and a half later by Bryant Gantt, an official with the football program who frequently intercedes with law enforcement when players get into trouble. Under questioning by the police, Carter gave inconsistent accounts of the crash. First he said he was nearly a mile away when the wreck occurred. Later, he said he was following the SUV driven by LeCroy closely enough to see its taillights — but also acknowledged he had been driving alongside the vehicle.

https://www.ajc.com/sports/georgia-bulldogs/breaking-georgias-jalen-carter-pleads-no-contest-to-traffic-charges-from-fatal-crash/CRLUMRKAUVFQDBFUNH3D4N56VM/

2. "Jalen Carter update: Police considered more serious charges in Georgia football car crash"

"Investigators determined that Carter was racing the other car by using surveillance video and cell phone records, including location data, despite Carter denying that he was racing.

Police discovered visual evidence including, "scrapes on the roof of Carter's car, which they said were consistent with hitting power lines that fell as the [Ford] Expedition crashed," the AJC report notes.

An officer in the case said they believed the marks on the roof of Carter's car "indicated to me that he was almost right next to the other vehicle when it crashed," according to the report."

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/.amp/ncaa-football/georgia-football-jalen-carter-update-police-charges

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/16/sport/jalen-carter-uga-crash-plea/index.html

As much as I hate CNN, the quotes from the officer involved in a prior traffic stop on Sept. 22 show a distinct favoritism toward Georgia football players:

“Y’all need to slow down dude,” the officer is heard telling Carter, who didn’t respond.

“Look I don’t know if y’all need to send out a text or something to other teammates, but slow down,” the officer said, adding, “That was reckless.”

“When you’re around your teammates, tell them to slow down,” the officer said.

The officer then tested the tint on Carter’s vehicle – which he said is illegal in the state of Georgia. “The front windshield can’t have nothing on it. No material on it whatsoever, OK?”

“Your break is you’re not going to jail. That’s your break. Because that would make all kinds of news, alright?” the officer is heard telling Carter in the footage.

Bama got knocked off last night. Now Brandon Miller can start being a regular college student. I'm assuming he is actually enrolled and attends classes, at least some of them. Big assumption. Guess the armed guard will have to look for a new gig. Yahoo had a good article, and asked a few pointed questions, which were never really asked at the post-game presser:

"Was it worth refusing to bench Brandon Miller despite his involvement in a fatal shooting in Tuscaloosa on Jan. 15? Was it worth sullying Oats’ reputation and Alabama’s reputation to keep playing the star freshman? Was it worth getting buried under a month-long avalanche of negative publicity just to win two games in the men's NCAA tournament?"
https://sports.yahoo.com/after-alabamas-ugly-sweet-16-exit-was-it-worth-the-reputation-hit-from-the-brandon-miller-controversy-053735656.html

The look on Miller's face says it all...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGkEQXr-dmU&list=PL_FRzktB7wDQv8FeiTqL0iqGaGcVS4V6d&index=1

Back