• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

More Corruption in College Sports

There's still a little more than 24 hours left before the start of spring ball. What's the over/under on the number of Crews mentions & replies that can be fit in existing or made up posts?

uptopgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:
Contrast this treatment to what Crews got and did.

Imagine if BH would have been forthright and not tried sneaking him in to the U. Crews would be playing for the Griz next year. Crews not playing at UM is all BH.

Imagine if you were never on this sight to post the same narrative over and over again?? Now you have brought on your newest disciple, thirdandlong, to assist you in your endless trail of bu11sh*t. So cute how one of you posts something, and the other follows it up with an answer a few minutes later on pretty much every thread on here. You really do need to seek help..

Remember Mike Price, Football HC at Alabama?
From Wiki:
"Price was at Alabama during the 2003 spring practice, but in May his contract was rescinded shortly after news reports surfaced of Price being seen at a strip club during a trip to Pensacola, Florida, where Price was playing in a golf tournament, and he also had about $1,000 charged to his hotel room by an unknown woman staying in the room. This development came on the heels of an earlier reprimand for visiting campus-area bars and drinking into the early hours in Tuscaloosa."
Now, even the University Prez won't say a word. My, how the worm has turned in Tuscaloosa.
Compare and contrast how the UA Prez of today handles the current situation vis a vis how one Royce Engstrom handled the Johnson/O'Day/Pflugrad 'affair' eleven scant years ago.

https://sports.yahoo.com/alabama-clouds-darken-over-brandon-miller-crimson-tide-143825580.html
"Alabama has had the chance to change the narrative around Miller and the program as a whole, again and again, and opted not to do so. And now one of the best teams in the country is watching its reputation vaporize in real time."

Did everyone see that the star Georgia d-lineman, Carter, who is currently at the NFL Combine and potentially the no. 1 (certainly top 5) pick in the draft, was charged with 2 misdemeanors? He was driving another vehicle when the Georgia recruiting woman crashed and killed herself and another player. He was following her, and racing her. After the accident, he and another car with Georgia players left the scene. He came back 90 minutes later, lied initially, and then corrected his lie. See bottom para.

The woman driver was going over 104 right before the crash and was almost .20. My son says Carter had not been drinking.

"Georgia football star Jalen Carter is charged in a crash that killed two people Carter, projected as one of the top players in next month's NFL draft, was charged with reckless driving and racing in conjunction with the crash that killed a teammate and a recruiting staff member."

This is not meant to say or imply that there's any Georgia corruption here.

I saw that story come up, then thought about why the disparity in reactions to different cases.
I don't recall what prompted the NCAA involvement in criminal, civil, and administrative law concerns, but this has gone plumb assed nuts!

The Miller and Carter cases throw a whole new wrinkle into the equation. Fifty different states, fifty different interpretations of violations of laws. In Montana, being involved in a gunfight takes on a rather serious connotation. Being summoned by an acquaintance to bring him his gun, which is in your car, and parking to block the exit of the victim, would be viewed in a felony light. I'm no lawyer, so no need to nit pick this statement. He is, by his actions, a participant in the events. But, this is Alabama law.

Carter was participating in an illegal road race and people died as a result. I believe in Montana he would be charged with a felony. But, this didn't happen in Montana.

Now, the NCAA wrinkle. Trying to make a patchwork quilt covering fifty states and god knows how many athletic programs. What is charged as a felony in one state, gets a misdemeanor charge in another state. And, now, with these sh*theaded leftwing prosecutors choosing to not even prosecute anything but murder and the like, what have you got? Anarchy.

There has to be ONE set of interpretations for all cases, not to be pooh-poohed by coaches, ADs, and school administrators, or prosecutors. Equal justice under the law, not a multi-tiered system, which treats star players better than the average walk-on. The system is broken, as it now stands. :rant:

alabamagrizzly said:
Georgia kid turned himself in and was released and is already back at the combine.

As the investigation continues, will he get charged with more? Did he run her off road? Did he cut her off? Was he racing side by side with her when she missed the turn and crashed? Why did he leave the scene and not come back for 90 minutes, and then lie about things?

mthoopsfan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Georgia kid turned himself in and was released and is already back at the combine.

As the investigation continues, will he get charged with more? Did he run her off road? Did he cut her off? Was he racing side by side with her when she missed the turn and crashed? Why did he leave the scene and not come back for 90 minutes, and then lie about things?

If a proper investigation is done, most those questions should get answered and if the answer is yes to any of them, I’d expect charges to go up a size. As for him waiting and lying, if he did nothing else wrong besides racing, he was probably just scared and panicked.

alabamagrizzly said:
mthoopsfan said:

If a proper investigation is done, most those questions should get answered and if the answer is yes to any of them, I’d expect charges to go up a size. As for him waiting and lying, if he did nothing else wrong besides racing, he was probably just scared and panicked.

Who leaves the scene of an accident when 4 of your friends are in the car, and 2 are killed?

mthoopsfan said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Who leaves the scene of an accident when 4 of your friends are in the car, and 2 are killed?

Either someone with something to hide or someone too scared and panicked. Not everyone is equipped to handle a mass trauma situation, especially if they feel they may be at fault or at least partially at fault.

I misuse the word 'kid' all the time. My definition includes anyone younger than I am. Most of you are kids. The law, however, is a bit more sticky on this. Jalen Carter is 21. He is no 'kid' in the eyes of the law. He doesn't need his mama to hold his hand.

But this happened in Georgia. Again, different state, different laws and interpretations:
From: https://hineslaw.org/penalties-for-leaving-the-scene-of-an-accident-in-georgia/
Fleeing the Scene of an Accident Could Potentially Lead to a Felony
The Code continues by outlining how fleeing a situation can easily escalate to a crime. If there are major injuries or fatalities as a result of the accident and you violate the aforementioned guidelines, you risk being found guilty of a crime and facing a variety of penalties.

In Georgia, leaving the scene of an accident can result in a minimum of one year and a maximum of five years in jail. The Code imposes fines that can be anywhere from $300 to $1,000. There is no possibility of probation, a stay, or suspension for these fines.

If convicted again in five years, there is a $1,000 fine and a one-year prison term.

Last but not least, if you are found guilty of a hit and run, which is merely hitting another car and driving away, you might lose all of your driving rights and have no possibility of getting a limited permit.

Common Defenses for Leavin the Scene of an Accident(spoken and written in Georgian, no doubt) :lol:
Unfortunately, when someone escapes the scene of an accident, law enforcement frequently thinks that they were intoxicated at the time. That is untrue. The majority of the time, a person flees the scene either because they were unaware that a person or object had been hit or because they are just scared. Even so, when a person flees the scene, police authorities may attempt to file further DUI charges, which escalates the fines and prosecutions that person may be subject to.

Being accused of evading police after an accident may be terrifying and depressing. Not at all. There are several possible responses to these accusations, such as not being the driver of the car that sped away, ignorance of any injuries or property damage, or going for assistance.

It might be challenging to refute the claim that you left the site of the accident to find assistance. But there are occasions when it is helpful. For instance, you would leave the scene of the accident to call for assistance if you were in a rural road accident without a phone and the other party was critically hurt. This can serve as a defense if you can back it up with convincing proof.

Georgia law imposes penalties on motorists who flee the scene of an accident. In Georgia, hit-and-runs are serious violations. State law takes leaving the scene of an accident more harshly than a DUI. You may be charged with a crime if you purposefully flee the scene of an accident that results in death or serious injury.

If the DA accuses you of a crime after you leave the scene of an accident, you might want to be aware of your legal options. It might not be simple to defend oneself against this accusation. But that is conceivable.

If you weren’t driving the automobile that left, or if you were unaware that anybody was hurt or property was harmed, the law offers defenses for this violation. Finally, if you proceeded to seek assistance after leaving the accident scene, you could avoid penalties.

The majority of instances begin with a breach of the particular Hit and Run Law. The charge that results in a six-month license suspension is the most serious one. The circumstances of your situation, however, could be closer to the second, less strict interpretation of the law. Your attorney’s job frequently includes attempting to relate the circumstances of your case to various interpretations of the Hit and Run Laws. Your lawyer will be able to keep you out of jail and maintain your driver’s license that way. The most crucial aspect of your case is your lawyer’s argument.

“However, in Wednesday’s statement by Athens police, authorities claimed LeCroy and Carter were allegedly operating separate vehicles in a “manner consistent with racing” after leaving the downtown Athens area around 2:30 a.m. ET. Investigators say they found evidence that the two vehicles “switched between lanes, drove in the center turn lane, drove in opposite lanes of travel, overtook other motorists, and drove at high rates of speed, in an apparent attempt to outdistance each other,” according to the statement.”

3-7-77 said:
I misuse the word 'kid' all the time. My definition includes anyone younger than I am. Most of you are kids. The law, however, is a bit more sticky on this. Jalen Carter is 21. He is no 'kid' in the eyes of the law. He doesn't need his mama to hold his hand.

But this happened in Georgia. Again, different state, different laws and interpretations:
From: https://hineslaw.org/penalties-for-leaving-the-scene-of-an-accident-in-georgia/
Fleeing the Scene of an Accident Could Potentially Lead to a Felony
The Code continues by outlining how fleeing a situation can easily escalate to a crime. If there are major injuries or fatalities as a result of the accident and you violate the aforementioned guidelines, you risk being found guilty of a crime and facing a variety of penalties.

In Georgia, leaving the scene of an accident can result in a minimum of one year and a maximum of five years in jail. The Code imposes fines that can be anywhere from $300 to $1,000. There is no possibility of probation, a stay, or suspension for these fines.

If convicted again in five years, there is a $1,000 fine and a one-year prison term.

Last but not least, if you are found guilty of a hit and run, which is merely hitting another car and driving away, you might lose all of your driving rights and have no possibility of getting a limited permit.

Common Defenses for Leavin the Scene of an Accident(spoken and written in Georgian, no doubt) :lol:
Unfortunately, when someone escapes the scene of an accident, law enforcement frequently thinks that they were intoxicated at the time. That is untrue. The majority of the time, a person flees the scene either because they were unaware that a person or object had been hit or because they are just scared. Even so, when a person flees the scene, police authorities may attempt to file further DUI charges, which escalates the fines and prosecutions that person may be subject to.

Being accused of evading police after an accident may be terrifying and depressing. Not at all. There are several possible responses to these accusations, such as not being the driver of the car that sped away, ignorance of any injuries or property damage, or going for assistance.

It might be challenging to refute the claim that you left the site of the accident to find assistance. But there are occasions when it is helpful. For instance, you would leave the scene of the accident to call for assistance if you were in a rural road accident without a phone and the other party was critically hurt. This can serve as a defense if you can back it up with convincing proof.

Georgia law imposes penalties on motorists who flee the scene of an accident. In Georgia, hit-and-runs are serious violations. State law takes leaving the scene of an accident more harshly than a DUI. You may be charged with a crime if you purposefully flee the scene of an accident that results in death or serious injury.

If the DA accuses you of a crime after you leave the scene of an accident, you might want to be aware of your legal options. It might not be simple to defend oneself against this accusation. But that is conceivable.

If you weren’t driving the automobile that left, or if you were unaware that anybody was hurt or property was harmed, the law offers defenses for this violation. Finally, if you proceeded to seek assistance after leaving the accident scene, you could avoid penalties.

The majority of instances begin with a breach of the particular Hit and Run Law. The charge that results in a six-month license suspension is the most serious one. The circumstances of your situation, however, could be closer to the second, less strict interpretation of the law. Your attorney’s job frequently includes attempting to relate the circumstances of your case to various interpretations of the Hit and Run Laws. Your lawyer will be able to keep you out of jail and maintain your driver’s license that way. The most crucial aspect of your case is your lawyer’s argument.

Nice, informative post. I learned a lot. Thanks for doing this.

This is what’s wrong with Alabama fans and why I can’t stand em.

https://sports.yahoo.com/sec-threatens-fans-with-ejection-for-wearing-shirts-joking-about-brandon-millers-role-in-fatal-shooting-000306277.html

VSCIB6QC2FBBRMG3UHXCMG3R64.jpg

alabamagrizzly said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/sec-threatens-fans-with-ejection-for-wearing-shirts-joking-about-brandon-millers-role-in-fatal-shooting-000306277.html

SEC threatens fans with ejection for wearing shirts joking about Brandon Miller's role in fatal shooting

behappp said:
alabamagrizzly said:

SEC threatens fans with ejection for wearing shirts joking about Brandon Miller's role in fatal shooting

It doesn't advocate violence against a person. It fits "freedom of speech". It's not like he kneeled during an 1918 fight song.

SaskGriz said:
behappp said:

It doesn't advocate violence against a person. It fits "freedom of speech". It's not like he kneeled during an 1918 fight song.

So to clarify you’re cool with him wearing a shirt that publicly supports a player involved in a murder worded in a way that it’s ok to kill?

alabamagrizzly said:
SaskGriz said:

So to clarify you’re cool with him wearing a shirt that publicly supports a player involved in a murder worded in a way that it’s ok to kill?
I only have the one shot of a guy with a quote "Killin' Our Way Through the SEC in '23". I don't know who "he" is so I reckon the dude can wear what ever fits. The quote doesn't mention a person, or a group or anything that would constitute a violation of your constitution. Did someone from his school commit a crime? If so, that shirt seems brazen, but again I don't know the details, seems like he likes that shirt.

SaskGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
I only have the one shot of a guy with a quote "Killin' Our Way Through the SEC in '23". I don't know who "he" is so I reckon the dude can wear what ever fits. The quote doesn't mention a person, or a group or anything that would constitute a violation of your constitution. Did someone from his school commit a crime? If so, that shirt seems brazen, but again I don't know the details, seems like he likes that shirt.

This entire thread is about the kid from Bama who was involved with a murder by retuning a gun to a now former player shortly before someone was killed with it. That former player is now indicted on capital murder charges while this kid who is a future lottery pick has been allowed to play the entire season.

https://twitter.com/JTalty/status/1634652641413275650?s=20

alabamagrizzly said:
SaskGriz said:

This entire thread is about the kid from Bama who was involved with a murder by retuning a gun to a now former player shortly before someone was killed with it. That former player is now indicted on capital murder charges while this kid who is a future lottery pick has been allowed to play the entire season.

https://twitter.com/JTalty/status/1634652641413275650?s=20
Yeah, sorry, I know about the Alabama basketball shooting. I'd assumed that "hopes and prayers" had covered that and then the NCAA would take care of any athletic repercussions. I'm pretty sure returning any gun is covered under the second amendment. If only the victim had been better armed, with body armor and assault weapons like the cops in Uvalde, Texas.

Back