• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

McDowell Says

4b200b54-6be2-47c2-a08e-36d5df06ff60_text.gif
Ha. I feel old now.

I was to busy eating that sweet corn so I missed it.But thanks for filling me in. Contrary to what some might post I am not knocking him.Well maybe a little but found it interesting about his claim of being injured.There was some speculation to that effect but did not know it was true.I think of Mohammed Ali " I am The Greatest "a little when I read Cliff's post.I admired him and was a big fan.He was the greatest.
I'm a pretty sure anyone with normally functioning eyes could see he was injured on that play, or maybe at least consider there might have been a reason why his style of play changed from being physically aggressive to cautious, in the course of a couple minutes.

I'm a pretty sure anyone with normally functioning eyes could see he was injured on that play, or maybe at least consider there might have been a reason why his style of play changed from being physically aggressive to cautious, in the course of a couple minutes.
I figured it was because he did not make the TD he acted like that. Kinda like in later plays in the game where he just gave up.Thanks for helping me focus.

Some comments here make me think that a lot of folks haven't toughed out injuries and done the best they could, even though they couldn't athletically performed to their normal level. When you are injured but still trying compete, your body and mind automatically (and intelligently) perform in a more self-protective manner, becuase if you don't adjust, things are going to get a whole lot worse quickly.

I saw him get hit and limp-stumble a bit when he got up. I think he got on the bike a bit after that. I had never heard that he got hurt, other some chatter on egriz. He wasn’t his normal good in 2d half. I believe him when he says he got hurt. What a bad decision to go in portal. Huge mistake.
The announcers mentioned Cliff looked slightly injured, so they obviously noticed him after the hit. His injury looked to be the same as Bergquist had during the Richmond game. A shot to the thigh.

With that being said, I felt if Cliff wasn't injured, the score would have been 23-10 instead of 23-3.

The bragging part and thinking he is the greatest of all time- for Cliff that's one he will not prove like Ali did
Of course not. The point I was trying to convey is that you have to have that mentality when you walk onto the field, onto the mound, in the batters box, in the ring, on the court, etc. Many talented players who don’t have that mentality don’t end up playing sports on TV and are not discussed on message boards. You have to be the baddest motherfucker of all time in your head. That’s the way I read his tweet.

I don’t like the decision Clif made to leave, but I respect him for reaching a level that very few ever will.

So answer me this. If Cliff was injured in the game or before and simply could not play up to his ability is it not on the coach to make a change ?
It is definitely the coaches' job to determine whether Clif's level of play with his injury would be better, equal to, or worse than Ah Yat's. I would not begin to know what parts of the playbook esch guy could run and to what level of competence.

I'd have to watch the game again. But the SDSU defense didn't seem to struggle much more when Ah Yat was in, but by then it was late. It has to be kept in mind that we were moving the ball early. The score ended up lopsided, and they were the better team, but we were millimeters from a Gilman touchdown and McDowell had shown a lot of toughness all year.

Probably one of those unanswerable questions.

Possibly they could not play another quaterback because they felt Cliff was the best prepared to handle the job even injured.This kinda leads back to an earlier discussion on another thread about getting backups and younger QB's more prepared to play when needed.

Possibly they could not play another quaterback because they felt Cliff was the best prepared to handle the job even injured.This kinda leads back to an earlier discussion on another thread about getting backups and younger QB's more prepared to play when needed.
There's only so much that can be done to get backup players ready. Sometimes the player just doesn't have what it takes, ie Kris Brown and Vidlak. Often a very young player just needs more time, ie Ah Yat.

I mean, we will just not ever agree on that premise about scheduling a game just to play a backup. There are better ways to get them ready.

Ah Yat was a freshman, and we all know how little BH trusts freshman in big moments.

I mean, we will just not ever agree on that premise about scheduling a game just to play a backup. There are better ways to get them ready.

Ah Yat was a freshman, and we all know how little BH trusts freshman in big moments.
I think most coaches agree with Bobby, for good reason. AhYat was QB2 because he was better than Vidlak, but that doesn't mean he was ready to play in such an important game. Very few true freshmen are, to be honest. The best quarterback ever to play at Montana didn't start when he was a true freshman, or even as a redshirt freshman. Young players need time and practice to develop, and I agree with you that oldngrizzly's theory about how to do that just doesn't work in the real world.

I think most coaches agree with Bobby, for good reason. AhYat was QB2 because he was better than Vidlak, but that doesn't mean he was ready to play in such an important game. Very few true freshmen are, to be honest. The best quarterback ever to play at Montana didn't start when he was a true freshman, or even as a redshirt freshman. Young players need time and practice to develop, and I agree with you that oldngrizzly's theory about how to do that just doesn't work in the real world.
That is all very true. It’s also been hard for griz fans to have teams in conference, like Idaho or EWU or hell even NAU that seem to have ridiculous luck in finding young qbs that are successful early and go on to have several consecutive years of success. However, those days may also be long gone with NIL because if your young qb is too good, he’ll be gone tomorrow.

It was brought up on here immediately. Akem commented on it the next day in his YouTube content. The griz fan base is right on board with jackrabbit fan base from the responses I saw. He could have stayed and backed this comment up. He didn’t. The game ended with zero td’s and a national runner up finish. He did a hell of a job igniting this team and we wouldn’t have been in that game without him. We almost weren’t in that game with him healthy though. He withered down the stretch and regressed. If it weren’t for Junior’s heroics we wouldn’t have been. He should focus on McNeese and whatever the he’ll rivalry they have or call it and enjoy finishing last in the Southland or whatever conference they play in.

Over under on if he finishes the year with them?
“He withered down the road and regressed.” I agree with everything in the post but this statement. I believe when he ran into elite defenses, his numerous limitations were simply exposed. He didn’t regress. That is why it’s best that he moved on and the Griz move forward with QB options that open up the offense and the field for all the playmakers.

I’ve been mulling this one for a while and I just can’t figure out why there’d be conflicting statements here. Maybe it’s Clif speaking without reins/saving face 6 months later, but it’s just not a great look for a coach to say a player wasn’t hurt and a player to say he was.

Maybe you fell a sleep like 3-7-7 or maybe he was in the sauce a little heavy but anyway you missed it ?HelenaHandBasket had a good idea that I agreed with and was hoping someone was paying attention to the post.I even considered starting a new post to discuss it but since third has not shown back up yet I figured it may not get as much traction which would take way from me getting the post in the EGRIZ hall of flame.

Maybe you fell a sleep like 3-7-7 or maybe he was in the sauce a little heavy but anyway you missed it ?HelenaHandBasket had a good idea that I agreed with and was hoping someone was paying attention to the post.I even considered starting a new post to discuss it but since third has not shown back up yet I figured it may not get as much traction which would take way from me getting the post in the EGRIZ hall of flame.
Yes, I must have missed it. I thought you were talking about your scheduling idea. I definitely miss posts on here. What was the idea you two liked? If its a good one, I'll put you on my Egriz hall of fame ballot next year. ;)

HHB says "I think the solution is a 3 QB offense. That way you can get a younger guy some game time without all the pressure. You could recruit fewer WRs and TEs and more OL."

Latest posts

Back