• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Let’s pause

'68griz said:
MTGRZ said:
jacobj6 said:
NEW UNI'S while you're at it too. It's 2018, not 1990 !!

They look older than 6 man class C high school garbage. Our budget has to be a little better than a 20 kid, all county high school.

Turn the TV to any real college game on saturday! Get with the program, our Uni's look tackier than most other programs practice garb.

Haslam too chicken to implement progress. Just like his fear of updating the 50 yard line from a huge black and brown tird to something that looks half way decent for the 21st century.

Their uni's are actually top of the line for college football. Personally, I love the simplicity of the current uniforms. Only change I would make is to have the front "Montana" larger. That's all. They are near perfection in my book.

I totally agree!

Yawl must be older than dirt, i.e.,graduated in 69. 18 n 20yr olds don't care what crusty grandpa likes. Look around. Adapt or die. ND had sweet, modern Uni's. Wash State had killer Uni's last week.

Yawl probably wear still wear that crusty suit you got for your 1978 job interview to weddings and funerals. Imagine if you told high schoolers that they can't wear cool, new clothes to school but instead have to wear your track suit from the 80s to first day....

Think outside the box. Say Pop.

[/quote]

I'm for "I'm Bad I'm Nationwide" by ZZ Top.
[/quote]

Best suggestion, by a mile.

“Rockin’ In the Free World” by Neil might stoke things a little. You know, a kinder gentler machine gun hand.

it is my view, teams with real tradition set the trend in uniforms and teams trying to establish them selves try to create an image.....penn state comes to mind, the griz etc......maryland and oregon on the flip side....another analogy is the classic black tux vs. the orange or red tux.......some brands are always going to pass the test of time ..... i believe the griz have such a brand and need protect and utilize it to their advantage.......when people flip channels, they know it is the Montana grizzlies plying when they see the classic griz script and that brand is worth preserving imo. ..... plus we look GOOD !

krammer said:
it is my view, teams with real tradition set the trend in uniforms and teams trying to establish them selves try to create an image.....penn state comes to mind, the griz etc......maryland and oregon on the flip side....another analogy is the classic black tux vs. the orange or red tux.......some brands are always going to pass the test of time ..... i believe the griz have such a brand and need protect and utilize it to their advantage.......when people flip channels, they know it is the Montana grizzlies plying when they see the classic griz script and that brand is worth preserving imo. ..... plus we look GOOD !

100% agree.

krammer said:
it is my view, teams with real tradition set the trend in uniforms and teams trying to establish them selves try to create an image.....penn state comes to mind, the griz etc......maryland and oregon on the flip side....another analogy is the classic black tux vs. the orange or red tux.......some brands are always going to pass the test of time ..... i believe the griz have such a brand and need [to] protect and utilize it to their advantage.......when people flip channels, they know it is the Montana grizzlies plying when they see the classic griz script and that brand is worth preserving imo. ..... plus we look GOOD !
Luckily, the "new" UM president knows a little something about the value of a "brand" and how it needs to be protected. And what he might not "get," his "freebie" consulting agency, the Messina Group, can advice him about. It's not rocket science that you don't mess with a well-recognized brand identity ... you find ways to "leverage" it.

However, we are, to some extent, dealing with two different issues here. One is the larger issue of "selling" the university in general to parents, students, and donors (actual or potential, public or private). Stability is important to that audience.
The second issue, closely related but different, is the specific recruitment of athletes to the big-time sports (i.e. football and basketball). Whether we like it or not, at least a portion of that "demographic" is apparently impressed by glitz, flash, and "cool." Certainly they can be put off by anything that seems stodgy and "uncool."

At the end of the day, you have to walk a fine line between tradition/stability and being "with it" in today's society. Sadly, we've not seen a lot of creativity out of UM on this front, where you effectively blend those features together. We can hope that will change.

Grizzoola said:
"Ride of the Valkyries," female Viking goddesses that brought Viking dead into Valhalla:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P73Z6291Pt8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_Ride_of_the_Valkyrs.jpg (painting)

Also played in a scene in "Apocalypse Now."

THIS!

IdaGriz01 said:
krammer said:
Certainly they can be put off by anything that seems stodgy and "uncool."

At the end of the day, you have to walk a fine line between tradition/stability and being "with it" in today's society. Sadly, we've not seen a lot of creativity out of UM on this front, where you effectively blend those features together. We can hope that will change.

Idagriz gets it!
I'm not saying change the brand. I'm just saying stop being lazy! Wear the same designs/colors, just on nicer threads, so you don't look so crusty.

Ps, Penn State switches it up and wears more modern shit. Look at their unis from 2 weeks ago: modern material, modern fit, modrn color, BAD ASS HELMETS. Looks like they actually put some effort into it:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Vrba-HdYQIkoKGJ3YPBvuLl43nk=/0x0:4470x2981/1200x800/filters:focal(1878x1134:2592x1848)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/56928735/usa_today_10317056.0.jpg

Here's another hair-raising theme from classical music, "Fanfare for the Common Man" by Aaron Copeland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dljTJ9qJ4U&pbjreload=10

Another pre-game, pre-half suggestion: Richard Strauss' "Thus Spoke Zarathustra," the opening theme of the late '90s film, "2001: A Space Odyssey" by Stanley Kubrick. Theme starts about 0:20:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfe8tCcHnKY&pbjreload=10

I could not agree more. This topic comes up because we are all kinda sick of the same old sound. And whomever runs the music doesn’t seem to get that Cotten Eye Joe was traditional around late 3rd Q when the Griz went up by 2 scores, not mid-Q2 when we just took a come from behind 1-point lead over a PSU team. I don’t mind the traditional tunes but for the love of God please intersperse a few new “pump up” songs and at the appropriate times. I’m old and I’d love to hear Stones, Ozzy and AC/DC tunes but I can’t help thanking the younger fans might like some music less than 45 years old as well.

Buttegrizzle said:
I could not agree more. This topic comes up because we are all kinda sick of the same old sound. And whomever runs the music doesn’t seem to get that Cotten Eye Joe was traditional around late 3rd Q when the Griz went up by 2 scores, not mid-Q2 when we just took a come from behind 1-point lead over a PSU team. I don’t mind the traditional tunes but for the love of God please intersperse a few new “pump up” songs and at the appropriate times. I’m old and I’d love to hear Stones, Ozzy and AC/DC tunes but I can’t help thanking the younger fans might like some music less than 45 years old as well.

Nope. Not gonna happen. It's all about creating an atmosphere that pumps up the bluehairs so they can then complain about how there aren't enough students at the game.

Seriously, though, that Kid Rock song turns 20 next season.
That dumb Six Flags song they STILL play is already over 20 years old.
Bring Em Out was released in 2004.
All the Trans-Am Rock is even older.

Tune into any CFB game and you'll hear at least some current music, even by the band. Speaking of the band, maybe they can play Neck since LSU's band is band from doing so (I know it's not a new song). Probably not a good idea.

Wait, which bands are band and why? Is there not enough bandwidth? And does anybody else think that The Spinners' Rubberband Man would be a good pump-up song? I hope this post doesn't get me band.

LSU's band is band from playing Neck, which bands the band together. It's a Neckband from the head AD, so also a headband. The bandwidth is high because it's the SEC, so no lapbands in the band.

Uniforms... Need updating... BAD. No suggestions other than update that stuff. It's been over two decades.

More or less origninal hard hitting, fun, pumps 'em up

Entrance:
Bulletproof - Five Finger Death Punch
Welcome to the Party - Diplo
(Big plays)
Can't be touched - Ray Jones
All I do is Win - DJ Khaled (if the Griz are winning)
Remember the Name - Ft. Minor (touchdowns)
Can't Hold Us - Mackelmore & Ray Dalton
We too Deep - Yoda

Replace the Cotton Eyed Joe with either:
Alive - Krewella
or
Tremor - Dimitri Vegas, Martin Garrix, Like Mike

I'm not quite "older than dirt" (or maybe I am), but I like most all kinds of music. For example, well done Rap is well-done music. (Yes, some of it is racist hate speech ... but "90% of everything is crap." I do somewhat draw the line at most Hard Rock, because most of it seems just loud. And, at 75, I have (according to the doctors) better hearing that a substantial fraction of twenty-somethinga ... and I'd like to keep it that way.

So I'd be happy with a mix of old (traditional) and new. The key, as I said in another context, is creativity. I make no claims to talent in selecting a good mix of sound -- other than "I know what I like." But surely there are people at the U who could create a musical program that creatively blended traditional with modern themes. (Class project anyone?)

dgogriz said:
https://youtu.be/9p7Z6fsr_K4

This ☝🏻

As I was watching the start of the Va Tech vs Notre Dame a few weeks ago, I was thinking the same thing, the Griz game atmosphere has become pretty stale. I just love how the Va Tech fans are so interactive in bringing out the players. Starting with the rhythmic clapping as the players are walking to the tunnel ... chanting “let’s go” “Hokies” as the players are walking down the tunnel ... jumping up & down just before the players come out of tunnel and finally ending with singing the lyrics of Enter Sandman after the team has taken the field. This is how to bring out a team!

Songs to bring the Griz out
1. Badass - Saliva
2. Meaning of life - Disturbed
3. Secret Place - Megadeth

#RTD
The ONLY song the Griz should ever be brought out to is the Fight Song!! Outside of that, I could really care less what music they play, I’m there to watch football! If I wanted to listen to music I would stay home and do just that!

Back