• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

JMU board

ChicagoDuke said:
grizzliesthetics said:
Over on the JMU board they seem to believe that MT is one of the dirtiest FCS teams. When did this become a thing?

This, my friends, is what they call a False Narrative.

Please don't take the words of a single poster and apply it to all JMU fans. If you actually read through our boards you'll find that overall everyone deeply respects your program and won't take it lightly. You'll hear us call your defense "nasty" and "filthy", which last time I checked are complimentary things to say about a defense. You play to the echo of the whistle and well, that's the game of football. There's a razor's edge between tough football and drawing penalties, and you guys walk that line very well. Teams that play you hate it, but respect it as well.

It should be noted that there's also a singular JMU fan, who goes by the name "Purple" who is over there calling your team dirty. You're going to learn to hate that guy, and when you do you'll be joining the rest of us. The guy is a world-class a-hole. Every fan base has a couple of those types, and he's ours. He doesn't represent what we all think about the Griz. He's got a few other a-hole pals, but for the most part they represent about .01% of our fans. Most of us are nice folks who love our team and respect good opponents.

So with that said, I'm personally really looking forward to playing you guys, and hopefully getting some revenge for that awful game back in 2008. Good luck!
Thanks for the post, but what was awful about the '08 game? I thought it was awfully good. Sure made for a quiet 4th quarter and post game.

A funny story I will try to keep brief. In '04 my wife and I left Allentown after work and headed south to Chatty, the night before the NC game, figuring to drive until I got tired. Along about Harrisonburg I saw a Holiday Inn sign near an exit so pulled in got checked in. I honestly had no idea where JMU was. So we amble down to the bar for a drink and holy sh!t the place was a shrine for JMU football and full of purple jersied people. We got a lot of attention in our Griz gear and will have to say we never had to buy a drink. Of course it was a pre-party because they thought we were fodder.

kemajic said:
ChicagoDuke said:

Please don't take the words of a single poster and apply it to all JMU fans. If you actually read through our boards you'll find that overall everyone deeply respects your program and won't take it lightly. You'll hear us call your defense "nasty" and "filthy", which last time I checked are complimentary things to say about a defense. You play to the echo of the whistle and well, that's the game of football. There's a razor's edge between tough football and drawing penalties, and you guys walk that line very well. Teams that play you hate it, but respect it as well.

It should be noted that there's also a singular JMU fan, who goes by the name "Purple" who is over there calling your team dirty. You're going to learn to hate that guy, and when you do you'll be joining the rest of us. The guy is a world-class a-hole. Every fan base has a couple of those types, and he's ours. He doesn't represent what we all think about the Griz. He's got a few other a-hole pals, but for the most part they represent about .01% of our fans. Most of us are nice folks who love our team and respect good opponents.

So with that said, I'm personally really looking forward to playing you guys, and hopefully getting some revenge for that awful game back in 2008. Good luck!
Thanks for the post, but what was awful about the '08 game? I thought it was awfully good. Sure made for a quiet 4th quarter and post game.

A funny story I will try to keep brief. In '04 my wife and I left Allentown after work and headed south to Chatty, the night before the NC game, figuring to drive until I got tired. Along about Harrisonburg I saw a Holiday Inn sign near an exit so pulled in got checked in. I honestly had no idea where JMU was. So we amble down to the bar for a drink and holy sh!t the place was a shrine for JMU football and full of purple jersied people. We got a lot of attention in our Griz gear and will have to say we never had to buy a drink. Of course it was a pre-party because they thought we were fodder.

You're correct, only awful from our perspective.

saw some comments about dirty play from the Griz in the 04 game as well so I went back and watched it and this is what I found:

1:59:22 JMU player (#65) punches UM player twice while blocking

2:07:19 same JMU player grabs Griz player by the neck and throws him to the ground after whistle

2:09:53 Griz player (Mullen) punches JMU quarterback

Announcers for the game were JMU fans, they shrugged off the punches by the JMU player, although said he should have been penalized, but totally roasted Mullen (rightfully so) when they should have admonished both players equally… Point being is that there were some dirty plays by both sides, not just the Griz

And oh yeah, I forgot just how awfully atrocious that field had become during that game

fltheadgriz said:
Was on their board and do not get the comments that the Griz defense is not that great and that JMU can beat the Griz in the air since EWU couldn't.

Still don't understand the Griz being called dirty football players....football is hard hitting...must be east coast pussification

I’m sure they’re looking at Friday with EWU scoring 41. Normally that would be an enormous amount of points. I doubt they’re aware that was still holding them below their season average. Nor aware their last two TDs were essentially an end of game gimme scores.

The QB for JMU looks excellent. Our guys will need their best game to keep him in check (or better yet sacked). I don’t think he’s as scary as EB3. Still he has been a very efficient passing threat. I expect our Griz defense will surprise the JMU faithful, and Montana will come away with the victory! Go Griz!

EverettGriz said:
jodcon said:
He pushes the envelope on sideline and late hits, and runs his mouth a lot more than he should, so I understand why he isn’t winning Miss Congeniality anytime soon.

I have more problems with his cheating on D at times and getting burned by it than his demeanor.

Guys that are universally disliked by other fan bases are the guys I want on my team.

Precisely. :thumb: :thumb:

They're over there whining about the stupid thing that one Griz player did in the NC game SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO. The players on this team were in kindergarten then. Let it go. Jeez.

And then there's this gem:

"Post: #14RE: Quarterfinals: #5 Montana (10-2/6-2) @ #2 JMU (11-1/7-1), Friday, 12/10, 7 PM, ESPN2.
In the game vs EWU at least one olineman went out with injury, and the QB was holding his ribcage area in pain late in the game.

The game changed significantly when that lineman was replaced.

Montana likes to blitz 2-4 players almost every down, and they like to make big hits and cause pain. They should have had two guys tossed for blatent targeting in the EWU game. Was shocked they got away with it, helmet to helmet on receivers in back to back plays."

So... according to this guy, big hits are bad, tackle football is supposed to be pain-free, AND apparently when ANYONE on the opposing team goes down with an injury, the Griz did it intentionally. This guy needs psychiatric help. 🙄

Here’s Purple’s two posts. I assume this guy works on a farm. He’s ass deep in bs….

Montana plays filthy, dirty football. I remember watching in 2008 as Rodney Landers laid on the ground, well after the whistle, with Griz players still piling on, twisting his limbs and punching him in the ribs and elsewhere, and never a penalty called by the zebras, all in an attempt to get Rodney out of the game, which they eventually accomplished, winning the game.

Look for more of the same from the dirtiest players in college football. If the refs don't call it, we will lose again. If they do call the Griz on their garbage, Dukes win by 30.

Looking at the EWU/Montana game, one has to wonder what happened. EWU rolled up 608 yards of total offense on the Griz, 530 yards of that in the air for 5 touchdowns, versus 368 yards of total offense by the Griz who run better than they pass (nearly 6 yards per tote vs 48% completion rate).

So, the Griz are not quite one-dimensional, but they aren't exactly great in the passing game, either, and, as you may have heard, JMU has the best run defense in the country. Thus, I see the Griz having a rough go of it in a clean game. Without question, they are going to try to take Cole out of the game. If they succeed, we lose. If they fail, we win. It is that simple. We have too many weapons. They can't stop us in a clean game.

Btw …. Griz give 7 yards less per game rushing then they do … so much for best in country

And……a response to JMU_Newbill who sounds like good guy.

JMU_Newbill Wrote:
All of this whining about Montana being dirty, laughable. We were landers dependent in 2008. He got hurt. We couldn’t make up the difference. The turnover margin was 4-0 but yea, we lost because Montana cheated.

Making multiple score predictions based on how “dirty” you think Montana will play is insulting to our own teams toughness.

Same people crying about dirty play probably not mature or intelligent enough to understand why playoff attendance is less.

Wow, it's amazing that you are that blind. You missed it in 2008 and the video of 2004 posted in this thread.

OK, so we were Landers-dependent in 2008. That makes it OK to punch him while he is on the ground, twist his legs to cause serious injury, and pile on top of him long after the whistle has blown? You believe that is OK? We get penalized huge yardage for much less, in addition to having our players ejected. Amazing that you find Montana's damned-near criminal assault "laughable!"

ChicagoDuke said:
grizzliesthetics said:
Over on the JMU board they seem to believe that MT is one of the dirtiest FCS teams. When did this become a thing?

Thanks for the nice post ChicagoDuke. I appreciate you trying to explain the differences in colloquialisms from different regions of the country. Indeed, filthy and dirty are taken as good qualities in some areas. Just like Bostonians love to use wicked for everything that is great. I'm sure many of our fans will figure it out. This will be a good game.

kemajic said:
RayWill said:
Yep if you read the other posts it is clear that the fanbase over there is pretty knowledgeable and clear headed as this poster states. More I have studied about them this year MT is really matched well against JMU. Montana's strengths play right into JMU weaknesses. JMU is a stout team but MT maybe ahs the best shot of any team in the bracket of beating them. At least on paper.
Villanova already did it.

Yep. At JMU.

28 Villanova
27 James Madison

JMU missed 2 FGs.

firmgriz said:
MTGRIZ12 said:
LOL...F-JMU, Griz are dirty? JMU has had 2 players ejected for targeting today! haha

Are they going to miss the first half of the Griz game? Are they impact players?

The first ejected JMU player was a Rs-Fr LB. He was ejected in the first half, so he won't miss any of the GRIZ game.

The second player was a Rs-Sr Safety (transfer from The Ohio State Univ). He was ejected early in the third quarter, so he will miss the first half of the GRIZ game.

Da Boyz Mom said:
They're over there whining about the stupid thing that one Griz player did in the NC game SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO. The players on this team were in kindergarten then. Let it go. Jeez.

"Post: #14RE: Quarterfinals: #5 Montana (10-2/6-2) @ #2 JMU (11-1/7-1), Friday, 12/10, 7 PM, ESPN2.
In the game vs EWU at least one olineman went out with injury, and the QB was holding his ribcage area in pain late in the game.

Montana likes to blitz 2-4 players almost every down, and they like to make big hits and cause pain. They should have had two guys tossed for blatent targeting in the EWU game. Was shocked they got away with it, helmet to helmet on receivers in back to back plays."

So... according to this guy, big hits are bad, tackle football is supposed to be pain-free, AND apparently when ANYONE on the opposing team goes down with an injury, the Griz did it intentionally. This guy needs psychiatric help. 🙄

Can you link that thread? Thanks in advance

CFallsGriz said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

Can you link that thread? Thanks in advance

https://csnbbs.com/thread-937288.html

Da Boyz Mom said:

The Robertson hit interruption for review was not even flagged on the field. The flag appeared on the next play, not on a receiver, but on a RB run up the middle with about a 5 yard gain. Can't even keep the facts straight.

ChicagoDuke said:
kemajic said:

You're correct, only awful from our perspective.
You do recognize that the awfully good '08 semi game was our revenge for that awful '04 NC game, right?

Grizzlies1982 said:
PhxGriz said:
Exactly. Everyone knows we only throw Potatoes.

PhxGriz, Fixed it for you.

As to their original concerns, those items must be common place at Harrisonburg. Personally I have seen beer cans, as to the other items that must be a CCA thing

Thank you for the edit. I still remember the "die in" during the Gulf War and the raining down of potatoes.

I thought the UNI players years ago during "tapegate" accused the fans of throwing batteries at them? Maybe it was VHS tapes. I can't remember.

Well, keep in mind, that it is a good bet that most of these students were rejected by UVA and VATech, not to mention Richmond and the private schools. I guess the equivalent in the Big Sky would be Southern Utah or Dixie.

GrizLA said:
Well, keep in mind, that it is a good bet that most of these students were rejected by UVA and VATech, not to mention Richmond and the private schools. I guess the equivalent in the Big Sky would be Southern Utah or Dixie.

There are a lot of valid ways to denigrate James Madison University, and you chose this one? Bold move.

Back