• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

JMU board

CocoaBear said:
I know there are some resident EWU fans on these boards and as much as I despise that team, I don't wish to start anything. But I watched plenty of non-Montana EWU football this season and can say that I have not seen any other team that played as dirty week after week as the Eags.

If yesterday is the game people are looking at to say the Griz play dirty, I suggest they watch some of the previous games. Dirty play from one team begets dirty play from their opponents, and that showed last night. I saw some Griz plays that I was not proud of but I also know why they happened - EWU's players instigated a lot of the hate. No excuses for Robby's leg sweep or O'Connell's leg twists, though. I was not happy to see that. But compare the play of EWU's OL and UM's. Big difference in how cleanly each one plays, and I suspect that was a big part of why the Eagles were so successful in passing. Barriere's a great QB, don't get me wrong. But it's much easier to throw the ball when your OL holds repeatedly and doesn't get caught. And for anyone who wants to argue that EWU's OL wasn't constantly holding - I and my brother both played center, and I know a hold when I see it.

Not to mention the constant taunting from EWU players, both on and off the field. I guess living in a perpetually depressing town like Cheney makes people do that.

Someone is going to have to explain the outrage over O’Connell’s tackle on Berriere. I watched the replay this morning. Barriere was still upright and a threat to run or throw. I didn’t see anything happen after the QB went down. Is O’Connell supposed to just let go in that situation? As long as the QB is fighting to stay up, it’s fair game IMO.

Ursa Major said:
FireGriz said:
After a brief perusal of their forum, I am again reminded that Cheney and Bozeman don’t have a monopoly on football related stupidity.

Highlights include:

Montana is the filthiest team in the FCS
EB3 is a crappy QB
There are no good defenses in the Big Sky

I hope some of their fans make it over here and are able to express an opinion that wasn’t developed with the benefit of crayons and antipsychotic medications.
That is hilarious!

I wonder what the percentage of their posters grew up with indoor plumbing?

You might be shocked to realize how true this statement is…or you might not be if you’ve known folks from Virginia.

Jaredkuehn said:
CocoaBear said:
I know there are some resident EWU fans on these boards and as much as I despise that team, I don't wish to start anything. But I watched plenty of non-Montana EWU football this season and can say that I have not seen any other team that played as dirty week after week as the Eags.

If yesterday is the game people are looking at to say the Griz play dirty, I suggest they watch some of the previous games. Dirty play from one team begets dirty play from their opponents, and that showed last night. I saw some Griz plays that I was not proud of but I also know why they happened - EWU's players instigated a lot of the hate. No excuses for Robby's leg sweep or O'Connell's leg twists, though. I was not happy to see that. But compare the play of EWU's OL and UM's. Big difference in how cleanly each one plays, and I suspect that was a big part of why the Eagles were so successful in passing. Barriere's a great QB, don't get me wrong. But it's much easier to throw the ball when your OL holds repeatedly and doesn't get caught. And for anyone who wants to argue that EWU's OL wasn't constantly holding - I and my brother both played center, and I know a hold when I see it.

Not to mention the constant taunting from EWU players, both on and off the field. I guess living in a perpetually depressing town like Cheney makes people do that.

Someone is going to have to explain the outrage over O’Connell’s tackle on Berriere. I watched the replay this morning. Barriere was still upright and a threat to run or throw. I didn’t see anything happen after the QB went down. Is O’Connell supposed to just let go in that situation? As long as the QB is fighting to stay up, it’s fair game IMO.

You may be watching a different tackle O'Connell had. I saw one where it was a pretty clear twisting motion and one that came after that looked cleaner and that I didn't see as an issue. I think Barriere and EWU fans were reacting to the same one I saw that looked unnecessary at the end of a tackle.

CocoaBear said:
Jaredkuehn said:

You may be watching a different tackle O'Connell had. I saw one where it was a pretty clear twisting motion and one that came after that looked cleaner and that I didn't see as an issue. I think Barriere and EWU fans were reacting to the same one I saw that looked unnecessary at the end of a tackle.

I guess I missed the blatant leg twist as well… The tackle where Berriere got super upset was a completely legitimate tackle and O'Connell was trying to get him on the ground. It isn't touch football, the guy isn't down until he hits the ground, not when he is touched

blackfootipa said:
I don’t get it either. Hard hitting isn’t dirty. If you are wrapped up and don’t want to get hit, go down.

The play that Barriere was all pissed off at O’Connell for was so silly. O’connell was simply trying to get him to the ground. Nothing dirty about it.

Was claiming he twisted his ankle ala Mac Jones

Robby Hauck is the player that seems to be the late hitter that my Cat friends complained about..
I guess Eags also had a problem with him too..

Fahque said:
CocoaBear said:

I guess I missed the blatant leg twist as well… The tackle where Berriere got super upset was a completely legitimate tackle and O'Connell was trying to get him on the ground. It isn't touch football, the guy isn't down until he hits the ground, not when he is touched

There was one more, where EB had Larry thrown the ball and O’Connell hit him. O’Connell fell close to EBs leg, grabbed it, and twisted. That was probably the dirtiest play I’ve seen by a Griz so far this year. I saw it

Comes from 2008, they think the Griz purposely hurt QB Rodney Landers in order to win the game when he was hurt on a clean tackle. Also supposedly Montana smack talks a lot and tries to provoke the other team. They seemed to to think there were a lot of late hits against Eastern too. I didn't see it and neither did the refs. Overall I got the feeling the excuse train was being set up as they are not looking forward to playing Montana

MTGRIZ12 said:
LOL...F-JMU, Griz are dirty? JMU has had 2 players ejected for targeting today! haha

Are they going to miss the first half of the Griz game? Are they impact players?

RayWill said:
Comes from 2008, they think the Griz purposely hurt QB Rodney Landers in order to win the game when he was hurt on a clean tackle. Also supposedly Montana smack talks a lot and tries to provoke the other team. They seemed to to think there were a lot of late hits against Eastern too. I didn't see it and neither did the refs. Overall I got the feeling the excuse train was being set up as they are not looking forward to playing Montana

Yep. Maddie fans want ZERO to do with Montana. They were so sure they were going to beat us silly in that semifinal game and instead we went in there and just physically beat them up. They know more of that is coming and they don’t want it.

RayWill said:

it's college football, every team talks smack. Personally, some of the chippy play/smack talk is fun to watch as long as it's all in good clean fun, especially when you get under your opponent's skin and make them lose focus and make mistakes.

I watched the game and my take is the Griz were really coached up to do what needed to be done. Not dirty but getting done what needed to be done. Eags poked the bear all week and simply got what they started. The Gavin hit on the loud month receiver was perfect. Legal and rocked him to the bone. Poking the bear has consequences.

grizghost said:
Robby Hauck is the player that seems to be the late hitter that my Cat friends complained about..

He pushes the envelope on sideline and late hits, and runs his mouth a lot more than he should, so I understand why he isn’t winning Miss Congeniality anytime soon.

I have more problems with his cheating on D at times and getting burned by it than his demeanor.

If there is a ‘dirty’ player on our defense, it’s Robby. Dude hits to the echo of the whistle, always piles on at the end of the play and runs his mouth. He’s consistently on or over the edge.

jodcon said:
grizghost said:

He pushes the envelope on sideline and late hits, and runs his mouth a lot more than he should, so I understand why he isn’t winning Miss Congeniality anytime soon.

I have more problems with his cheating on D at times and getting burned by it than his demeanor.

Guys that are universally disliked by other fan bases are the guys I want on my team.

EverettGriz said:
jodcon said:

Guys that are universally disliked by other fan bases are the guys I want on my team.

Agreed, although I can’t deny that Robby does drive me nuts at times.

jodcon said:
grizghost said:

This! He overruns plays about half the time.

grizzliesthetics said:
Over on the JMU board they seem to believe that MT is one of the dirtiest FCS teams. When did this become a thing?

This, my friends, is what they call a False Narrative.

Please don't take the words of a single poster and apply it to all JMU fans. If you actually read through our boards you'll find that overall everyone deeply respects your program and won't take it lightly. You'll hear us call your defense "nasty" and "filthy", which last time I checked are complimentary things to say about a defense. You play to the echo of the whistle and well, that's the game of football. There's a razor's edge between tough football and drawing penalties, and you guys walk that line very well. Teams that play you hate it, but respect it as well.

It should be noted that there's also a singular JMU fan, who goes by the name "Purple" who is over there calling your team dirty. You're going to learn to hate that guy, and when you do you'll be joining the rest of us. The guy is a world-class a-hole. Every fan base has a couple of those types, and he's ours. He doesn't represent what we all think about the Griz. He's got a few other a-hole pals, but for the most part they represent about .01% of our fans. Most of us are nice folks who love our team and respect good opponents.

So with that said, I'm personally really looking forward to playing you guys, and hopefully getting some revenge for that awful game back in 2008. Good luck!

Back