• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Jeremy Calhoun

druhag said:
Is anyone sure he would even qualify for a redshirt next year? What I am getting at is he missed two games do to suspension. Does that factor in?

Who said anything about next year? This year is his redshirt year, which would mean he would have his fifth year of eligibility next year.

Again, my biggest worry is if he takes his brother with him.

That being said, I think now things have changed. Growing up when I was 18-22 I did stupid stuff but was on my own to make decisions. Now, kids are staying at home longer, pandered, etc. I think both of the above arguments have merit. I agree there is no doubt 18-24 year olds are men and don't need family input. Also, some family decisions need to be made when there is another family member on said team. There are a lot of other factors, such as michigan states RB...he may play on Sunday's. So better for his stock if he redshirts and has a healthy year. Either way, good luck to him, and leave your brother in Missoula!

Alright then. A plausible, well-informed theory. Thanks for that. Didn't really need personal attack, didn't add nuttin'. Thanks again for the info though!

kemajic said:
mikegriz said:
kemajic said:
mikegriz said:
There is the factor that Hauck is as pig-headed as they come.
There is also the factor that you don't know the facts.

And you do? Enlighten us. What are the facts?
I don't; never said I did. But what is most likely is pretty simple and has been outlined here about 15 times, but you must not like it. It is not known but there also are no facts that dispute it.

I'll try again. Calhoun wants to redshirt by missing the last two games of this year to retain his 5th year of eligibility. He can do that even if the head coach doesn't agree. He probably has. But the head coach wanted his services this year when he knows he is available to play. Has game plans for these two games that include Calhoun. Not happy with player putting his own interest ahead of the program interest at this point in the season. Has no obligation to prioritize a 5th year schollie for Calhoun next year, when his availability, recognizing his past, is questionable (injuries, suspensions, marginal academics, etc.). Besides he already has plans for that schollie for next year to reward walk-ons or to recruit a new player. So Calhoun redshirts himself but has no deal for 2019 to which he probably wrongly thought he was entiltled. He has his year of eligibility retained; to play next year, he can go DII, or he can graduate (unlikely considering his academic standing) and make a grad school lateral move. Calhoun may be entitled to his schollie for the rest of this year (unknown when you remove yourself from service), but certainly not next year. Dumb move, a shame, a very good player when he is available. To say this is "kicking him off the team" is just as crazy as saying Jenson was kicked off the team in the spring. Some of the same people.

I would not let my dad anywhere near the Practices, whether it be Dornblazer, or Campbell field because i did not want it to appear that he was sucking up to the coaches. Hell he would even sit on the hill behind the stadium during the games, so not to embarrass me.. That said. Parents need to keep their noses out of the coaches decisions..Generally, they make things worse.

AZDoc said:

That being said, I think now things have changed. Growing up when I was 18-22 I did stupid stuff but was on my own to make decisions. Now, kids are staying at home longer, pandered, etc. I think both of the above arguments have merit. I agree there is no doubt 18-24 year olds are men and don't need family input. Also, some family decisions need to be made when there is another family member on said team. There are a lot of other factors, such as michigan states RB...he may play on Sunday's. So better for his stock if he redshirts and has a healthy year. Either way, good luck to him, and leave your brother in Missoula!

His brother can't leave unless he graduates before he leaves, or drop down to D-II or NAIA.

I would not let my dad anywhere near the Practices, whether it be Dornblazer, or Campbell field because i did not want it to appear that he was sucking up to the coaches. Hell he would even sit on the hill behind the stadium during the games, so not to embarrass me.. That said. Parents need to keep their noses out of the coaches decisions..Generally, they make things worse.

AZDoc said:

why would he take his brother with him? Not sure why Justin would even think about leaving. He never complained about his roll changing and I am sure he will leave when he graduates not because his brother is not playing.

My father-in-law was a longtime old school Butte Irish Catholic coach, retired in the 90's. I once asked him if parents of players used to intervene and talk to him, like they do now. He thought about it and said: "A few, but nobody ever talked to me twice."

I once heard a high school coach tell a pre-season parents meeting that he didn't want any parent to come talk to him about playing time, but that he welcomed parents going to the team website that he had set up. They were welcome to tell him (and everyone else who was looking) why they thought their kid should be play more, including who they should start over or take playing time from.

I always liked that.

retiredpopo said:
AZDoc said:

why would he take his brother with him? Not sure why Justin would even think about leaving. He never complained about his roll changing and I am sure he will leave when he graduates not because his brother is not playing.

seriously, he didn't bat an eye at leaving when his brother almost didn't make it back this year...why would that change. Justin is a true team player and has shown very big sacrifices for this team. Also if he keeps improving and working on his craft he could be a 1st team CB next year in the BSC.

Griz#64 said:

Speaking of Dornblaser, I read this in the Missoulian this morning. Also note the reference to Rev. John Maclean, Norman's father, I assume.

"The two most recognizable names on the Doughboy plaque are Paul Logan Dornblaser and Ole Beck. One had a football field named for him, the other a Veterans of Foreign Wars post on West Main Street.

For Missoula, Dornblaser was bigger than life (and most other men) when he joined the Marines. He'd been a hulking tackle and football captain for the University of Montana, graduated from UM law school in 1914, and was working as a deputy county attorney when he enlisted in December 1917.

“He is the ‘straight goods,’” a local minister, Rev. John Maclean, wrote to Dornblaser’s mother in Chicago.

Dornblaser got to France in the spring of 1918, just in time for the Americans’ push in the Meuse-Argonne. On Oct. 8, German machine gun bullets riddled his legs and hips. Dornblaser, 31, died two days later. He’s buried in the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery in northeastern France."

https://missoulian.com/news/local/some-gave-all-historians-revive-memories-of-missoula-s-wwi/article_21a3620f-dc32-5907-803f-cc44f630ab06.html

I heard directly from a guy whose astrologer knows Hauck’s cousin that the conversation between JC and BH went something like this:

JC: Coach Hauck, i was wondering if I could talk to you about a potential redshirt. I think I could help the team, and I’d sure like to play another season with my brother...

BH: Who the fuck are you!?

JC: Huh?

BH: GTFO of my office - I’m trying to get Choatchified here!!!

SoldierGriz said:
argh! said:
SoldierGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
Look soldier--I like you and think you're a good poster on here. I will forgo a snarky response to you and suggest you google it and challenge your preconceived notions. The research is pretty compelling and if you have spent a lot of times with 18-24 year olds, it will likely ring true.

My notions are cemented in 27 years leading young men. None are preconceived. JC is a senior in college. The idea that his parents should have input into this is ridiculous. That was the point. Now I am done.

what, your parents never had any input in your decisions after you turned 18? if so, you are the exception, not the rule.
None. The Army paid for my education. I chose my major..and later my wife. Not sure why that seems odd to you.

didn't ask who paid for your education. i paid for mine, too, but still told my parents i was going to college. they approved. did you introduce your wife to your parents? tell them your major? did they say anything about any of them? lots of ways to define "input", and i don't see any hard evidence calhoun's parents did anything beyond talking to their kid. certainly don't see that they went to hauck.

but there are lots of real do-it-yourself he-men on egriz. i got that.

argh! said:
SoldierGriz said:
argh! said:
SoldierGriz said:
My notions are cemented in 27 years leading young men. None are preconceived. JC is a senior in college. The idea that his parents should have input into this is ridiculous. That was the point. Now I am done.

what, your parents never had any input in your decisions after you turned 18? if so, you are the exception, not the rule.
None. The Army paid for my education. I chose my major..and later my wife. Not sure why that seems odd to you.

didn't ask who paid for your education. i paid for mine, too, but still told my parents i was going to college. they approved. did you introduce your wife to your parents? tell them your major? did they say anything about any of them? lots of ways to define "input", and i don't see any hard evidence calhoun's parents did anything beyond talking to their kid. certainly don't see that they went to hauck.

Try to keep up...the discussion was not about Calhoun's parents. It was about Michigan State's approach to a red shirt situation.

I, for one, told my parents to fuck off when I turned 18. Sure, they were super supportive and interested in my life, but I was gonna make it on my own. They didn't even have any input on my grad school choice beyond conversing about location and job prospects. I introduced them to my wife as a courtesy before they picked up the tab for the rehearsal dinner. Now, even though we talk a few times a week and they are wonderful grandparents, I can't help but think they're just after the hundreds of dollars I have in the bank. I did this all on my own.

argh! said:
SoldierGriz said:
Ursa Major said:
SoldierGriz said:
Well shit... we definitely shouldn't allow these guys to choose their majors...if science says they are not grown and all...what other choices should we prohibit or directly supervise? What does the science say? Maybe you could write us a paper.

Look soldier--I like you and think you're a good poster on here. I will forgo a snarky response to you and suggest you google it and challenge your preconceived notions. The research is pretty compelling and if you have spent a lot of times with 18-24 year olds, it will likely ring true.

Input=advice , I got plenty I still do get both but starting at 18 your an adult.
Some 18 year olds need to be weaned of the tit some don't.
Soldiergriz is on point with this one .
People wonder why we have safe spaces in college
FFS kids need to grow up.

TCCGRIZ said:
argh! said:
SoldierGriz said:
Ursa Major said:

Input=advice , I got plenty I still do get both but starting at 18 your an adult.

Totally agree. That's what I did. My parents tried to give me advice and have input after I turned 18 because "they cared about me", but I already had it all figured out.

argh! said:
SoldierGriz said:
argh! said:
SoldierGriz said:

"Better to be the Shepard than a sheep" I say argh.
The only thing I asked for permission after 18 was for my father in laws blessing .
Think long and hard about this next question. "Where would be as a society if we didn't have do it yourself type men" ?
Look up the definition of cuckhold . See how non do it yourself men handle themselves.

CDAGRIZ said:
TCCGRIZ said:
argh! said:
SoldierGriz said:

Totally agree. That's what I did. My parents tried to give me advice and have input after I turned 18 because "they cared about me", but I already had it all figured out.

Please don't start talking about feelings and caring CDA , you'll ruin your rep . Lol
Not saying when your 18 not take any advice . Saying when your 18 you can make your own decisions .

Back